Intel mobo dead...switch from q6600 to X3 720 AM3? Should I?

CHAoS_NiNJA

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm reaallly tempted to. My cooler (Sythe Mini) also works on socket AM2 (which means it should work for AM3...right?) and my motherboard is dead anyway so I need to buy a new one...so the idea of going AM3 has come into my head. I really wanna try out that X3 BE, maybe get a fat 3.8-4GHz OC myself. :D

I could never overclock this Q6600 very well because of my chipset and 4 sticks of RAM, despite being a G0 stepping, so I know I'd get a performance increase on an OC'd X3...but it it worth losing a core?

I just read up on anandtech.com that the AM3 bracket is JUST like the am2+, so ya your heatsink will work with no issues.

I dunno I mean the Q6600 is a damn good proc, Sucks to hear about the mobo. Maybe just buy a new mobo for a decent price, and keep the Q6600.

If you REALLY want to build a new pc, I mean yea i would recommend the X3 720 with an AM3 mobo.
Now I would say not to go the DDR3 route, but everyone is different.

I guess it is up to you, but if I was in your situation, I would just by a new decent mobo with the Q6600.

As cool as the x3 720 sounds, I would just buy a Gigabyte P45 UD3P mobo. With the x3, you'd have to buy a new mobo, and processor which would exceed the cost of just the mobo.

So, from pure cost, just do the motherboard.

I have no regrets picking up my x3 720 BE. Id say give AMD a shot if youre looking for something new and different to play with. I love this Gigabyte 790XT-UD4P

Well from a cost standpoint yes just a new mobo would be fine, but not only do I want to play with overclocking abilities of this chip, but I also want a modern socket as LGA775 is EOL. Looking for Crossfire, SB750, DDR3 support so I can carry that over if I ever decide/can afford to go i7.

As cool as the x3 720 sounds, I would just buy a Gigabyte P45 UD3P mobo. With the x3, you'd have to buy a new mobo, and processor which would exceed the cost of just the mobo.

So, from pure cost, just do the motherboard.

exactly,get an Asus p5Q series and you can prob take that Q6600 to nice levels and the performance would likely be better, pending what you do with it, then an A3

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/cpu/amd-phenom-2-720-810-920-p2.html

Ixbt uses a quad Q6600 as a reference CPU and tests the AMD Phenom 720 and 810
in a number of benchmarks. The scientific apps like Maple/Mathematica has the Phenom scoring 127 versus the quad Q6600 norm of 100 or 27% faster.

In series of seven game benchmarks Phenom 720 scores 108. They also try their hand at overclocking and they manage to increase from stock to 3.7+ and even hit 3.9+ ghz.

The overclocked Phenom 720 with very inexpensive DDR2 memory seems formidable enough to get close or overtake Intel's i7 920 in a number of benchmarks. In baseball terms it looks like AMD hit a grand slam with their new Phenom II lineup.

Is this compared to a 2.4GHz Q6600? Because no-one would run their Q6600 at stock. I'd rather see a 3.2, 3.4 or 3.6GHz Q6600 compared to the AMD chip overclocked and see what the results are.

Well from a cost standpoint yes just a new mobo would be fine, but not only do I want to play with overclocking abilities of this chip, but I also want a modern socket as LGA775 is EOL.

Switch to X3 720. It is cheaper because you get hardware that will last longer and is much more upgradable. You will probably also notice a small boost in how fast the computer is, if you multitask you will notice it for sure.

I can't see it, you can just get a p45 board and seconded 4850 if you want for less then the new board and cpu and be money ahead. why spend money for no real upgrade?

If you wanted to you could sell the cpu and reuse the ram (if you get an AM2+ board instead of the DDR3) but you would see more from the new board and video card

Hard question. I currently am running a Q6600 and I love it. I am also very intrigued by the AMD 720BE. As much as I would like to build an all AMD system to play with, there is no way that I would just leave the Q6600 sit. I would get another (newer) MB and get it back up and running. This thing as been rock solid for 18 months and still has the performance to almost match everything that Intel or AMD has brought to market except the i7 which for me is still cost prohibitive once the complete upgrade price is factored in.

If you can sell your Q6600 for a good price then maybe you should go the AMD route but otherwise just get a new P45 MB and get the Q back in the saddle.

exactly,get an Asus p5Q series and you can prob take that Q6600 to nice levels and the performance would likely be better, pending what you do with it, then an A3

QFT

i had an MSI 650i chipset mb, and i couldnt overclock my Q6600 G0 at all which was dissapointing, so i replaced my MSI 650i Board with an Asus P5Q Pro P45 chipset board and my Q6600 happily flys upto 3.6ghz stable, but i usually keep it around 3.2ghz for normal use. but its nice knowing i can take it upto 3.6ghz if i want to.

i am very happy with my Asus board.

Yes, but my 4 1GB sticks are going to hurt my OC aren't they? Not only do I have to many, but they're all rated DDR2-800. :/ Going AM3 would be a good excuse to finally go DDR3 and have a "proper" RAM set up (2x2GB).

And yes, I do want a new toy to play with...an easy toy that I only need to click a few things to OC stable is nice too :D. This chipset/RAM issue just gave me a really bad taste for intel OCing this time around.

EDIT: Not to mention another important note I said earlier, LGA775 is EOL. Dead end socket with nothing to upgrade to really that I can't OC to similar horsepower of(granted with a diff chipset).

Yes, but my 4 1GB sticks are going to hurt my OC aren't they?
Not really, the Q6600's 9x multiplier means that you don't need particularly high FSB.

And yes, I do want a new toy to play with...an easy toy that I only need to click a few things to OC stable is nice too :D. This chipset/RAM issue just gave me a really bad taste for intel OCing this time around.
More of an issue with an older Nvidia chipset than anything else. Overclocking the Q6600 with a current Intel chipset shouldn't be much harder than changing the FSB to 400MHz, the memory ratio to 1:1 and increasing the voltage slightly.

EDIT: Not to mention another important note I said earlier, LGA775 is EOL. Dead end socket with nothing to upgrade to really that I can't OC to similar horsepower of(granted with a diff chipset).
Neither does AM3 at this time.

Yes, but my 4 1GB sticks are going to hurt my OC aren't they? Not only do I have to many, but they're all rated DDR2-800. :/ Going AM3 would be a good excuse to finally go DDR3 and have a "proper" RAM set up (2x2GB).

i had 2 g0 q6600's that went to 3.6ghz with four sticks of ram and 2 that could only muster 3.2 ghz. while the lga775 concerns are quite legitimate, you would get more gaming performance out of a $100 p45 board and a second 4850 512. you clearly seem inclined to go with the phenom 2 so go for it and shut this unnecessary thread down.

I was leaning to the X3 but this threads really turned me back to just getting an intel board, which is the likely course of action.

Theres always next time... :D

If you play games, youd be far better off to grab an Asus or Gigabyte P45 board and be done with it til its actually worth it to upgrade your whole platform. Alot of the benchmarking crap is just that...benchmark crap that will not translate to real world performance more often than not.

Of course, new toys and builds are always fun...however going from 4 cores to 3 seems more like a downgrade to me.

As much I'd just like to tell you to get an AMD setup I honestly have to recommend just getting a P45 board or something.

I would just get a new and now CHEAP Intel CPU supporting mobo since you have a Q6600 already.

wow all the intel love is in here i thought this is the amd forum? the problem is god only knows what is wrong with your old setup the board could of went and took your ram/cpu with it. if that is the case you would have a new p45 board and a dead chip or ram and will have to invest more into a dead socket. personally if you have the cash i would go am3 720 bellow is 2 boards that will fit your bill ddr2 am2+ (am3 compatible) and a ddr3 am3 board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128378

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128381

just grab a decent p45 board, I have 4 sticks of ram on my Q6600 and P5Q-E and I'm a 3.6ghz =)

no reason to downgrade in this situation unless your Q6600 really can't oc past 3-3.2ghz

wow all the intel love is in here i thought this is the amd forum? the problem is god only knows what is wrong with your old setup the board could of went and took your ram/cpu with it. if that is the case you would have a new p45 board and a dead chip or ram and will have to invest more into a dead socket. personally if you have the cash i would go am3 720 bellow is 2 boards that will fit your bill ddr2 am2+ (am3 compatible) and a ddr3 am3 board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128378

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128381

intel love? look at my sig. but its hard to recommend an AMD system when he has most of the parts for intel system that would on par with the intel after OC. it not that the other is a bad deal its just that outside of getting a new system to work on there really isn't a lot of reason to do so.

what you people fail to realize is when a board fails other components will fail as well it is best to replace the whole thing and not have to spend more cash on a dead end platfrorm

what you people fail to realize is when a board fails other components will fail as well it is best to replace the whole thing and not have to spend more cash on a dead end platfrorm

If the power supply were the issue, then i might agree. Saying the CPU and RAM will eventually fail because a motherboard died is one of the dumbest things i think ive ever read on here. By your logic, he should just buy or build a completely new computer, since everything is attached to the motherboard.:rolleyes:

um, he gets a good board, test the stuff, if it doesn't work he sends it back. I don't see the issue.

Wow just wow Previous post about mobo dying has me rolling, if that was the case man I would have tons of dead parts by now. I have seen dozens of boards die out, rarely and I do stress rarely have I ever seen it take the CPU and all other components with it.

If you just want an AMD system and money is not an issue and you want a whole new system to play with go for it, recent reviews have shown its a good proc,

If money is an issue replace the mobo, and stick with what you have, the Q6600 is no slouch, its a good proc and with a decent OC it kicks some butt.

Choice is up to you but I really dont see a need to get a new system, seeing as the one you have can handle just about anything you could possibly throw.

amd fanboy here and i say just get a new intel mb and sick with your current chip.

I recently had a mobo and psu issue in which the psu overvolted somehow and threw sparks out the back of the 'puter! It smoked the psu completely. I then put another psu in the system and tried start it up. No dice. The replacement psu started to smoke so I shut it down. I still don't know what went bad first, the psu or the mobo but when the replacement psu started to smoke I figured the mobo was toast so I ordered new parts. While waiting on the replacement parts I checked everything else; cd/dvd drive, cpu, ram and hard drive. Everything survived so I installed the new mobo and psu, fired it up and its working just fine now.
My recommendation would be to try a new mobo first and see if all is well. If so, you'll be better off financially. And yes, I am an AMD guy but I don't recommend spending any more than you need to.

BigMac...Not that it matters at this point, but it sounds like there was some kind of short circuit on the motherboard.

That's kind of what I thought, too. Seemed to me the mobo blinked first and then took out the psu. In any case it sure stunk up both psu's! Glad the replacement I had wasn't vital to my needs!

Yeah...they sure dont care for a cross with ground. I dont suppose you tested the second PSU that started to smoke with a known good motherboard?

It worked when I pulled it out of the system it had been in previously. Not after the smoking session, however!

4 sticks of DDR2-800 running at DDR2-936 on my setup.

Didn't hurt my OC at all when I went from 2 to 4 sticks.

8x468 is a very nice speed for a Q6600 :D

Back