MSI Radeon 4890 ~$184 AR and live cashback

Nice! Cheaper than the previous sapphire deal, even if you do not count the rebate!

Last edited:
Damn.. Just a personal experience, I received my MSI Wind rebate but the latest GTX260 rebate I sent in is a no-go and is stuck on the "Initial" stage. Sucks this was the only rebate I didn't photocopy so make sure you cover your asses!

Damn. Wish this had been live a couple days ago when I ordered my Sapphires. Would've saved me almost $50.

Limit , one per customer.

How can I order two and get both rebates?

Make another account for live, and ewiz.

Be sure to ship it to another house with a different name.

Better yet pay a friend to do it for you.

dang it I was just set on upping mobo for sli and going with the 260 sli in a month or so, but with these at this price I might as well sell the 260 and get two of these, dang you ati and your sub $200 4800 line

So do you think this will this max out 1680x for current games through 5mo from now or should I save a few bucks and get a 260?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Got one for myself, now hopefully teh rebate works, this price puts to shame the current GTX Line

And its existence is also speculation.

It doesn't exist yet. It would probably push the power to 380W, but hopefully there will be manufacturers willing to accept it. Recall that Sapphire was the only company that decided to produce the 4850 x2.

ATI's 55nm came out before nVidia's is what I meant. The new 4890 x2 will outperform the GTX 295.
At what cost though? Noise? Power consumption? Both?

Still though, this is absolute killer deal. Anyone looking for an enthusiast card needs to get on this now :cool:

I understand that, but does at 1680x will I notice any increased performance or does a 260 already max it out?

You may notice an increase in fps (particularly with AA turn on) at a resolution of 1920x1200 or above. I doubt you'll see much difference at 1680x1050.

Other than perhaps Crysis, upping to a 4890 from a GTX 260 at 1680*1050 won't give you any realizable difference. Unless you can see past 60fps (no you can't).

I really don't want to make another thread about this, because I'm really tempted to buy this card.

Can anyone recommend one of the already many 4890's out right now as what they consider to be the "best choice"? I don't plan to Overclock anything (at least not till the end of the year, but by then new cards will be out) and just want the best card I can get right now out of the 6 or 7 of these 4890's being made.

I really don't want to make another thread about this, because I'm really tempted to buy this card.

Can anyone recommend one of the already many 4890's out right now as what they consider to be the "best choice"? I don't plan to Overclock anything (at least not till the end of the year, but by then new cards will be out) and just want the best card I can get right now out of the 6 or 7 of these 4890's being made.

Definately, an XFX model if you were wanting reliablity. I've heard they'll be releasing a 4890+ soon though, with the upgraded memory chips stable up to 1250 mhz (5000mhz effective). Should be interesting to see when their stock model is greater then the regular 4890 oc'd models lol!!!! *Laughs like a madman*

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this anyways, but... this should be a quite a noticeable upgrade from an 8800GT even at 1680 resolution? If not, I might as well wait because I'm going to get a 1900x1200 monitor here in about a month.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this anyways, but... this should be a quite a noticeable upgrade from an 8800GT even at 1680 resolution? If not, I might as well wait because I'm going to get a 1900x1200 monitor here in about a month.

Yes, quite an upgrade. Especially at 1920x1200.

Well, couldn't resist.. bought myself a new video card, just got my tax return Friday so I don't feel too bad =/

Other than perhaps Crysis, upping to a 4890 from a GTX 260 at 1680*1050 won't give you any realizable difference. Unless you can see past 60fps (no you can't).

"The USAF, in testing their pilots for visual response time, used a simple test to see if the pilots could distinguish small changes in light. In their experiment a picture of an aircraft was flashed on a screen in a dark room at 1/220th of a second. Pilots were consistently able to "see" the afterimage as well as identify the aircraft. This simple and specific situation not only proves the ability to percieve 1 image within 1/220 of a second, but the ability to interpret higher FPS."

I've seen Israeli tests shown the same or better also, so yes many people can see over 60fps so it would be wrong to assume otherwise.

"The USAF, in testing their pilots for visual response time, used a simple test to see if the pilots could distinguish small changes in light. In their experiment a picture of an aircraft was flashed on a screen in a dark room at 1/220th of a second. Pilots were consistently able to "see" the afterimage as well as identify the aircraft. This simple and specific situation not only proves the ability to percieve 1 image within 1/220 of a second, but the ability to interpret higher FPS."

I've seen Israeli tests shown the same or better also, so yes many people can see over 60fps so it would be wrong to assume otherwise.

Video, Link To Study or No?

Back