Fastest IPS Monitor?

SharpHawk

n00b
I'm looking to buy a new monitor that will be used for PC and console gaming (with friends), web-browsing/officework, and movies.

Being a gamer I initially was very excited by the cheap TN LCDs that have all but saturated the market. However, after learning of other panel technologies that boast both improved picture quality and more importantly provide better viewing angles (crucial for console gaming/movie watching), I decided to look at *VA and IPS monitors. After further research I realized IPS monitors are probably what I'm looking for. They provide the best compromise between viewing angles, picture quality, and response time.

That said, what 1920x1200 ≈24" IPS monitors have the fastest response time? I was really interested in the HP 2475 until I learned about the oversaturation issue with wide gamut monitors.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The only 24" standard gamut IPS panel monitor is the NEC LCD2490WUXi. However, the 10-bit Look Up Table (for better color accuracy) increases input lag somewhat to about 38.8ms.

Price ~ $1,200.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_2490wuxi.htm

If you don't like wide gamut and the NEC 2490WUXi is out of your price range and/or the input lag is too high, then look back at *VA monitors. However, wide gamut is the "wave of the future" since nearly all monitors has it.

Almost all 24" IPS monitors available now are wide gamut - the $1000+ NEC LCD2490WUXi is the only standard gamut 24" IPS monitor I can think of. You may just have to put up with wide gamut.

The oversaturation issue is overblown, and is not really an issue unless you're doing color-accurate work with an application that isn't color-aware (I don't really know but that sounds like you're doing it wrong). Color accuracy is meaningless for games, because games adjust color space at their own whim.

So if I'm not interested in photo-editing, will the oversaturation on the HP 2475 be a problem? I've heard reports of almost neon-like colors being displayed, and though I'm tempted to dismiss them as gross exaggeration I figured I'd ask here.

Since its IPS, I trust that the viewing angles are good, and I've read everywhere that the response time and input lag are very good for its type. So I just have one last question: does the HP 2475 support 1:1 pixel mapping for its HDMI input? I want my consoles' 1920x1080 or lower resolutions to be letterboxed instead of stretched or cropped.

Oh and Jaguar, I noticed you were the same person who replied in my Tom's thread :D

The oversaturation issue is overblown, and is not really an issue unless you're doing color-accurate work with an application that isn't color-aware (I don't really know but that sounds like you're doing it wrong). Color accuracy is meaningless for games, because games adjust color space at their own whim.

If so, I'd say that color critical work = watching images, surfing the web etc.

I received images of my fathers new car a while ago and I got the completely wrong idea of it's color until I moved it to my secondary (non-wide-gamut) display. I've done some web-pages and I'd hardly call that color-critical work (since I'm an amateur and do it on my spare-time), but since it looks completely different it truly is a challenge and nothing I can do without a reference (in my case, the secondary display). Most of the time it isn't that bad but sometimes it truly is. And every time you wan't (for some reason) precision it is bad - if not only because you can't even decide whether it's bad or not.

I've tried to play it down in the OSD and maintaining accuarcy the best I can, of course it's still quite bad in some regards and brings other issues to the table, but I could never use the default settings. This has some (further) caveats though - now color-managed applications are desaturated, bummer...

Most people don't notice wide gamut at all (or in the end believe that it's a good thing), chances are that people that posts in hardforum are a little more aware than the average joe though (then again, many people here doesn't mind wide gamut).

I wouldn't say that the issue is overblown at all, I'd say that it deserves much more attention.

Yesterday I was asked to recommend a 24" monitor with good color accuracy (for design work).
Knowing that the people who would be using this monitor doesn't have a clue about wide-gamut my stomach turned. Should I recommend an IPS monitor? Or stay away from wide-gamut and recommend a TN monitor? I have no idea what to answer and I probably won't until I know more about the people that will be using it. In this case though my gut feeling says that they'd be way better off with a non-wide-gamut display, even though that pretty much limits it to TN panels (the 2490 is too expensive).

I have the 2475 and for color critical work I use color managed program. Even Firefox does a wonderful job with its color manager plugin. But if you dont use a color managed programs, things do a little more vibrant :)

if you're not in a hurry, you can buy the LG W2420P in july (IPS, standard gammut) - europe only.

If you need to do professional color work, wide gamut is actually not a good thing. Sure you can adjust it to minimize the effect, but it's not going to be as 'realistic' as a standard gamut display.

So got any more info about this LG W2420P? When will IPS panels catch up to TN in terms of responsiveness, input lag, and gaming ability?
It is July NOW... so where is this monitor? Hmmm.

Oh hey, somebody has it!

http://detail.zol.com.cn/lcd/index182088.shtml

Now does anybody read chinese and can translate how much this costs and the features?
All I know is it has 2 hdmi, 1 dvi, and 1 dsub and uses S-IPS. panel.

Last edited:
Welll, you might consider the Dell 2209wa, it's eIPS standard gamut, but only 1680*1050 and only 22".

Other than that, the 2490wuxi is out of production, so you better get one quickly. The replacment 2490wuxi2 appears inferior so far.

I have the LP2475w, and wide gamut was apparent at first, but after using the TFT Central settings and usage time, it becomes less prominent. Now standard gamut even appears bland to me.

First picture (the girl)

Top = wide gamut

Second picture

Left = wide gamut

First picture (the girl)

Top = wide gamut

Second picture

Left = wide gamut

Does that mean that the wide gamut is adding colors that aren't there? Cos actually the more colorful pictures look a little better.
But they are in fact the more inaccurate ones?

Yes, the wide gamut images are less accurate and exaggerate the colors and intensity. Under quick examination they may look more pleasing, and that is why they've become popular (most buyers don't do good testing of monitors prior to purchase). But with extended use you'll notice that they look "wrong" and that colors are off.

if you're not in a hurry, you can buy the LG W2420P in july (IPS, standard gammut) - europe only.

LG US is still considering bringing in both the W2420P / W2220P models, and both have dual HDMI interfaces, 1920 x 1200 resolution, 5ms G2G response time, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 400 cd/m2 brightness for 24", 300 cd/m2 brightness for 22",178/178 viewing angles, 1080p.

Their main sales office in NJ needs to be convinced that enough will sell in the US.

Tim

Yes, the wide gamut images are less accurate and exaggerate the colors and intensity. Under quick examination they may look more pleasing, and that is why they've become popular (most buyers don't do good testing of monitors prior to purchase). But with extended use you'll notice that they look "wrong" and that colors are off.

But unless you are doing color critical work, it only boils down to your personal tastes. If you are doing color critical work, you are probably using color aware applications and a color meter, in which case you would want a wide gamut display.

Those sample photos can't really show accuratetly what the difference is, since what ever display you are viewing them on will affect the perception as well. But it does give an idea what the difference will be like.

In any case, a wide gamut display purchased from the right retailer can be returned at no cost to the consumer, if in fact they are displeased with the color performance.

The 26" Planar PX2611w is arguably the fastest IPS available, with almost non-existent input lag. It has a pathetic amount of inputs thought (DVI and VGA only, though HDCP supported) and is stupid overpriced at ~$800.

LG US is still considering bringing in both the W2420P / W2220P models, and both have dual HDMI interfaces, 1920 x 1200 resolution, 5ms G2G response time, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 400 cd/m2 brightness for 24", 300 cd/m2 brightness for 22",178/178 viewing angles, 1080p.

Their main sales office in NJ needs to be convinced that enough will sell in the US.

Tim

Bring it to the US!!! If the input lag is under 1FPS and the picture quality is convincing, I'm definitely interested.

Just go for the HP 2475. I have my PS3 hooked up through HDMI and 360 through Component. When calibrated it looks great, and no lag.

Just go for the HP 2475. I have my PS3 hooked up through HDMI and 360 through Component. When calibrated it looks great, and no lag.

Agree if you already decide to get wide gamut 2475w is best option.

The 26" Planar PX2611w is arguably the fastest IPS available, with almost non-existent input lag. It has a pathetic amount of inputs thought (DVI and VGA only, though HDCP supported) and is stupid overpriced at ~$800.

Is there a better 26" IPS at the same price, or one of similar quality at a lower price?

Is there a better 26" IPS at the same price, or one of similar quality at a lower price?

No -- you have to go in to the ~$1300-1500 range (NEC) to beat this display, and at that point you're better off with a 30" at 2560x1600.

If you're willing to give up a little viewable area (24" instead of 26") and a little speed (1/4+ frame lag vs. almost none) the HP LP2475w is your best bet at ~$450-600.

Wasn't the DoubleSight DS-263N essentially the same as the Planar? How does the newer DS-265W compare with the Planar? It is after all a 26" IPS panel for $600 or less.

You can get a 30" refurb dell 3007WFP-HC for the same price.

Wasn't the DoubleSight DS-263N essentially the same as the Planar? How does the newer DS-265W compare with the Planar? It is after all a 26" IPS panel for $600 or less.

With a ridiculously bright backlight unit that can't be turned down. It's not better or similar quality, though if they're still coming with A-TW panels (doubtful) it might be worth considering...if the price is really low still like $400.

The Planar PX2611w is a nice display. I have one right next to my NEC 2690WUXi and is mainly used for watching video / movies and as an extended desktop. I haven't really used it to play games though. I game on my NEC.

The only thing that sux about it is the height adjustment, from the lowest position to tallest position the "adjustment" is only about 2.25" or 57mm.

No -- you have to go in to the ~$1300-1500 range (NEC) to beat this display, and at that point you're better off with a 30" at 2560x1600.

If you're willing to give up a little viewable area (24" instead of 26") and a little speed (1/4+ frame lag vs. almost none) the HP LP2475w is your best bet at ~$450-600.

So... not "stupid overpriced at ~$800" then :D

Dell 3007WFP-HC is the best value. But if you wanna play FPS at its native res you're better off looking elsewhere unless you're filthy rich. Input lag embarrasses many smaller displays.

Dell 3007WFP-HC is the best value.

And it is also just about the most hideous screen that every graced my desktop (for a few days)

It has wide gamut and significant miscalibration, so it looks nasty on everything unless you calibrate it. I mean it literally hurt my eyes to look at some of it's radioactive reds in games (where calibration won't help).

These are also have notoriously bad uniformity. Mine had striping and a very dark corner.

IMO IPS white glow is just too much when you get to a panel this size, it gets very distracting, I had to change my dark wallpaper because the white glow in the corners was too distracting.

Any one of these issues would be a pain but putting them all together, avoid like the plague unless you are easily pleased.

Also don't forget it is a one input screen that only works with PCs (no xbox/PS3) has no imaging controls on the monitor at all except for one flaky brightness button.

Really you only get this if you quality takes a back seat to quantity for you. After I returned my 3007-HC, I paid more money for the smaller NEC 2490 and never had a regret. It has superior quality in just about every way. For me quality trumps quantity.

That said, what 1920x1200 ≈24" IPS monitors have the fastest response time? I was really interested in the HP 2475 until I learned about the oversaturation issue with wide gamut monitors.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Right now there is not a lot of choice, but there are rumors of a Dell 2410wa that may be normal gamut and IPS.

A big brother to the 2209wa is proving extremely popular with forum members because it is IPS/low lag/normal gamut. For gamers who want a bit more speed it can apparently run at 75Hz refresh without dropping frames as well. Though I suspect the 24" would not have that ability.

2209wa thread:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1387587
2410 rumor thread:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1428529

Back