The Triplehead Screenshot Thread

Unknown-One

[H]F Junkie
Anybody with an Eyefinity, TripleHead2Go, or SofTH setup, now's your chance to show off.

I'll start off with some SofTH shots. All of the following screenshot were taken with no additional hardware (no Eyefinity, no TripleHead2Go). For additional information on SofTH, see the SofTH thread in the video cards subforum. All shots were rendered entirely by a single GTX260 at 5040x1050 at playable framerates (with the exception of Crysis).

Click any image to see it full-size

Devil May Cry 4

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Halo: Combat Evolved

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Fallout 3

Assassins Creed

Dead Space

Left4Dead

Portal

Grand Theft Auto IV

Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Need for Speed: Shift

Crysis

Audiosurf

Super Mario 64

Doom

Last edited:
Some of these could make sick wallpapers if done right.
Nice shots.
If I might ask though, how does GTA IV run on triple screens? Settings?

GTA IV actually performed alright going triple-wide, I forced off restrictions and cranked the sliders for that screenshot, though.

It's worth noting, those settings were FINALLY enough to make it GPU limited instead of CPU limited. The game is just stupidly CPU heavy (not that that's a bad thing, I can maintain over 30FPS with my current CPU at more sane settings).

Nice screens, with eyefinity working well and the new cards being way more powerful than anything we actually need, im tempted to dump my 30" screen for 3 24", I really need to play with this sort of setup before I drop that much cash though :/

I wish I could see the pictures so I know what you are talking about. Works blocking where ever your pics are from. One reason I use my own web server.

The huge stretch on each side makes it look funny. Are there any games where the FOV can be adjusted that wide? I would think maybe the source engine games and Crysis?

The huge stretch on each side makes it look funny. Are there any games where the FOV can be adjusted that wide? I would think maybe the source engine games and Crysis?

There have been exceedingly long discussions on this. The side screens are being rendered 100% optically correct, but you need to be sitting in the middle of an eyefinity setup to view them properly because they will only look correct when sitting in your peripheral vision.

Simple solution for anyone actually running an eyefinity setup; if you're seeing fisheye even when looking straight ahead at your center screen, you either need to sit closer, or turn down your FOV.

Now, that being said, my FOV is probably a little too high in a few of those shots (Fallout 3, Oblivion, Left4Dead, and GTA IV). Thankfully there are ways to adjust it in most games.

Last edited:
I dont think I could get into this unless it was six monitors so I could well see "up"

That said Super mario 64 looks glorious 0__0

Yeah, that's funny that it looks like Super Mario 64 scaled the best out of all of them!

Makes me want an eyefinity setup bad...

There have been exceedingly long discussions on this. The side screens are being rendered 100% optically correct, but you need to be sitting in the middle of an eyefinity setup to view them properly because they will only look correct when sitting in your peripheral vision.

Simple solution for anyone actually running an eyefinity setup; if you're seeing fisheye even when looking straight ahead at your center screen, you either need to sit closer, or turn down your FOV.

Now, that being said, my FOV is probably a little too high in a few of those shots (Fallout 3, Oblivion, Left4Dead, and GTA IV). Thankfully there are ways to adjust it in most games.

I was about to say, some of thsoe screenshots are so wide you could say you're actually looking at the natural curvature of the earth ;)

Had to pop in to say that's absolutely sick.

I've got 2x24" already, must resist purchasing a 3rd... and a better video card... :eek:

Holy fish eye. I dunno if I would be able to take that.
How many times does it have to be said? If you see fisheye then either you're FOV is too high, or you're sitting too far away.

If you're viewing these shots on a single monitor, you're going to have to sit EXTREMELY close to get the same sense that we get when viewing triplehead.

*sigh* some people just wont "get it" until they sit down in the middle of a triplehead setup and play.

Too bad the UI gets screwed up with this technology. Hopefully some of the more recent games get patched to keep it in the center screen.

The UI only gets screwed up or stretched in some poorly made games. Here's a list off the top of my head

Perfect HUD (on center screen), or known modifications to fix the HUD:
Devil May Cry 4
Oblivion
Fallout3
Dead Space
Left4Dead
Half-Life 2 series
Portal
Team Fortress 2
Need For Speed Shift
Super Mario 64
Mirrors Edge
Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty World At War

Nearly-perfect HUD (not stretched, but not on center screen):
Batman Arkham Asylum
GTA IV
Crysis
Unreal Tournament 99

Stretched HUD
Halo: Combat Evolved
Trackmania Nations
Bioshock
Assassins Creed
Need For Speed Most Wanted
Need For Speed Carbon
Ghostbusters
Audiosurf
Doom 3

Last edited:
man i'd so get sick with a 3 monitor setup. I'd love it but would need the Dramamine just to play.

Thread gets 5 stars, thanks for taking the time to post these.

Oh wow, running down the bridge with the glass bursting on mirror's edge must be quite an experience with the 3view and some phones. You considering SLI-ing or getting a 58X0 at some point to try and up settings?

I've got 2x24" already, must resist purchasing a 3rd... and a better video card... :eek:

The problem is that this type of setup is really annoying if not all three monitors are exactly the same. Same make/model and same age, etc.

how do i do this? i already have a 4890 1g video card with 2 displays, is it as simple as just gettinganother display and hooking this janx up?

Oh wow, running down the bridge with the glass bursting on mirror's edge must be quite an experience with the 3view and some phones. You considering SLI-ing or getting a 58X0 at some point to try and up settings?
That's a tough call...I'm actually already running max settings in Mirrors Edge, just without AA. My old trusty GTX260 just doesn't have the horsepower for AA in newer games at these insane resolutions.

If GTX260's were to suddenly drop in price massively, I might consider SLI. The problem is, SoftTH doesn't work so well with SLI or crossfire, so going SLI would require I also buy a Matrox TripleHead2Go (those go for $299 by themselves). I also get the feeling GTX260 SLI wouldn't perform as well as a single HD4870...

$190 (GTX260) + $299 (TripleHead2Go) = $490 for the upgrade

A 5870 is another option that I've considered, but all three of my monitors are DVI, which means I would need an active DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter for one of my screens (which would cost an additional $100). Eyefinity also lacks bezel management, which both SoftTH and the TripleHead2Go have (granted, I could use SoftTH with this new card to get bezel management).

$390 (HD5870) + $100 (DisplayPort-to-DVI) = $490 for the upgrade

Oh look, it's $490 either way :p

The problem is that this type of setup is really annoying if not all three monitors are exactly the same. Same make/model and same age, etc.
This man speaks the truth! I had to get one of my monitors replaced (stuck pixel) and it took about 6 months for the backlight in the replacement to age to the point that it matched the two older ones perfectly.

how do i do this? i already have a 4890 1g video card with 2 displays, is it as simple as just getting another display and hooking this janx up?
Pretty much. You'll need a second PCI Express graphics card to plug the 3rd monitor into. Your secondary card can be just about anything (it doesn't do any rendering), just as long as it's PCI Express so it has enough bandwidth.

Once that's set up, you can use SoftTH to get games spanned across three screens.

Last edited:

Thank you for understanding this! The other one that wrings my neck is people tilting the side monitors inward, thus ruining the optical correctness, and then complaining about 'stretching' or 'fisheye'. With Eyefinity being all the rage at the moment, I'm seeing it more and more.

Call of Duty: World at War. (Click for full size)

Maximum settings at 5040x1050 with 2x AA. FOV hack was required for proper surround support.

I'm not sure what happened here. Some game glitch caused this guy to freeze in mid-air. Kung-fu anyone?

Is anyone else having issues with the side monitors looking "zoomed"? I tried NFS Shift,L4D and HL2 and they looked stretched. COD:MWF2 looked awesome as long as I ran the widescreen fixer app. I will try Crysis, GTA4 and Fallout 3 later tonight. Is there some sort of patch I should be running or any game tweaking? Is there anything else like widescreen fixer that I should know about?

Is anyone else having issues with the side monitors looking "zoomed"? I tried NFS Shift,L4D and HL2 and they looked stretched.
You aren't looking directly at the side monitors are you? You should always be looking at the center screen; the sides need to stay in your peripheral vision to look correct, so that the game's FOV lines up correctly with your own.

FOV is also distance-dependent, a given FOV will only look correct at a specific distance from a monitor (this is why console games often have their FOV set lower, so they look correct when sitting couch-distance from a TV). So, if you're still seeing fisheye type distortion even when looking dead ahead at your center screen, you either need to sit closer or turn the FOV down.

You should also line the screens up on a flat plane; almost no games compensate for tilting the side screens inward.

yeah, the only game I've seen compensate for screen-tilt is rFactor, but it automatically assumes the screens are at 90 degree angles to one another. This is for triple-projector setups where you have one screen in front of you, one directly to your left, and one directly to your right.

What's happening is lets say I'm looking at a character thats straight in front of me and would be lets say 5 feet away. If I turn the camera and the character goes onto either side monitor instead of being 5 feet away it looks like they're right beside me.

Back