The Triplehead Screenshot Thread

What's happening is lets say I'm looking at a character thats straight in front of me and would be lets say 5 feet away. If I turn the camera and the character goes onto either side monitor instead of being 5 feet away it looks like they're right beside me.
Lets...try that again, shall we? Emphasis added on the important bits...

You aren't looking directly at the side monitors are you? You should always be looking at the center screen; the sides need to stay in your peripheral vision to look correct, so that the game's FOV lines up correctly with your own.

FOV is also distance-dependent, a given FOV will only look correct at a specific distance from a monitor (this is why console games often have their FOV set lower, so they look correct when sitting couch-distance from a TV). So, if you're still seeing fisheye type distortion even when looking dead ahead at your center screen, you either need to sit closer or turn the FOV down.
I don't get why this kind of general confusion about FOV keeps springing up (it's getting annoying explaining it over and over) ...it's like we need to sit the entire forum down to a Q&A so everyone is on the same page.

I am looking straight at the center monitor which is about 2.5 feet away. I have the outside monitor angled slightly towards myself. What am I doing wrong? How do I turn down FOV?

yeah, the only game I've seen compensate for screen-tilt is rFactor, but it automatically assumes the screens are at 90 degree angles to one another. This is for triple-projector setups where you have one screen in front of you, one directly to your left, and one directly to your right.

Live for Speed and I believe iRacing also support screen tilt and bezel management. I'd love to see more triple-A FPS titles supporting it! AMD seems to recognize the significance of this lack of support as their promotional Eyefinity setups are typically flat. Perhaps they should do more to inform users and developers.

In honor of the $7 deal on Steam, here are some shots from GRID. I took an open wheeled car for a spin :D

Max settings (with config file tweaks for ultra resolution shadows and reflections) at 5040x1050 with 2x AA:

Oh I hate you Unknown!!

Dell has delayed my monitors AGAIN! Initial date was 11/23... now it's 12/8

AHHH!!

Some how I missed this thread. I'll be back with some 7680x1600 Eyefinity goodness.

Nice Thread

here's some Aion(sorry for lousy quality)in 4320x900 using triplehead2go

Aion0017.jpg

Aion0018.jpg

Ok, some samples. Links to 7680x1600, max settings:

Modern Warfare2:

Rainbow Six Vegas 2:

I love the fact the HUD is still proportionate.

Stalker: Blue Sky:

Half-Life 2: Episode 2

Half-Life: Lost Coast:

Left4Dead

Half-Life: Source (with HL:S:HD Pack)

I'm still working on getting Dirt 2, NFS: Shift, Crysis, Crysis Warhead and Fallout 3 to work at 7680x1600. My PC get's all uppity and crashes for some reason. :rolleyes: :p :D

I'd welcome any help, such as config commands, FOV proggies, etc. that those with Eyefinity have had to use.

My GTX260 is just barely cutting it for 5040x1050, that HD5870 must have some serious balls to be able to pull decent framerates at 7680x1600 :eek:

I just wish those new ATi cards would come down in price, $400 is a little high...

i think i would go crazy with that much screen space. wow.

I was surprised how well MW2 plays at 7680x1600. I figured Source engine games would be ok, but I'd forgotten MW2 was built on a DirectX 9 engine. Here's the rig if you're interested

I was probably a bit premature buying the current 5870, as it only has a Gig of GDDR. With this res a 2 Gig is almost a necessity. I'm holding off on buying a second card for Crossfire until 2 Gig variations hit the market. Then I'll sell my existing and update. I'll probably have to OC my i7 also, before games like Crysis will run. Even then I may have to force a res of 5760x1200 and lower some settings. :(

Crysis was a little tricky for me to get running as well. Certain versions of Nvidia's drivers don't like running Crysis at 5040x1050 in DX10 mode (while DX9 worked fine). Maybe you're running into a similar issue with ATi's drivers?

Try adding the -DX9 flag to Crysis's shortcut so it'll start in DX9 mode, then see if it will take 7680x1600. If that works, then all you need is the config file hack to enable Very High settings in DX9 mode, and you're good to go :D

If a game doesn't really support triplehead well (puts the interface on the wrong monitor, stretches the interface, etc.) is it pretty easy to disable triplehead just for that game and play it conventionally on the middle monitor?

wow... some nice shots in this thread.. I am 3 LCDs away from going eyefinity. just shopping around for those now... this 3 screen gaming thing is pretty bad ass. :)

If a game doesn't really support triplehead well (puts the interface on the wrong monitor, stretches the interface, etc.) is it pretty easy to disable triplehead just for that game and play it conventionally on the middle monitor?
Well, the first thing I would do is try to get the game working properly with triplehead. There are a lot of FOV / HUD hacks to fix things in titles that don't quite work right at these aspect ratios.

Failing that, yes, it's easy enough to switch back and forth if you want to run something single-monitor.

Unknown-One, What was your config for Halo with SofTH. I'm loving these shots, thanks.

Unknown-One, What was your config for Halo with SofTH. I'm loving these shots, thanks.

Sure, Halo is a bit of a pain in the ass if you don't know where to start. First off, this is the SoftTH 1.07 config file I'm using (make sure you use 1.07):

edit: if "secondaryFormat=YUV12" results in one of your screens not showing anything, try "secondaryFormat=RGB16" or "secondaryFormat=RGB32" instead

Code:
[config]
deviceIDLeft=auto
deviceIDright=auto
secondaryWidth=1680
secondaryHeight=1050
secondaryRefresh=60
secondaryFormat=YUV12
antialiasing=0
anisotropic=0
borderSize=128
sideExtraWidth=0
noHotkeys=0

[Direct3D]
cylindicalCorretionAngle=0
hideNondefaultDevices=0
forceHorizontalFOV=0
forceResolutionWidth=5296
forceResolutionHeight=1050
force16bitDepth=0
sleepBeforeRead=2
useMultihead=1
delayedPresent=0
swapOrder=0
autoSquash=0
d3d8dll=auto

[hooks]
doHooking=1
doScaleMouseCoordinates=0
doScaleFromLeftScreen=0
doScaleWindowRects=0
mouseXoffset=auto

[modes]
1680x1050x60

You also need to modify the shortcut to Halo, change the target so it looks something like this:

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo\halo.exe" -vidmode 5296,1050,60 -console

That will force Halo to launch at the correct resolution. Finally, you also need an FOV hack (The 3rd person hack also offers FOV options for 1st person). You'll want to set the FOV to 146 degrees using this FOV hack.

Once all this is set up, start the FOV hack, then start Halo through the modified shortcut. Once the game is running, press the * key and the FOV will adjust so that it properly fits the triple-16:10 aspect ratio.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks Unknown-One. I got it working but can't seem to find a FOV hack that will work with Halo 1.09, once they updated the game it seems as though it broke all the hacks :(.

Thanks for the config, i had to change some resolutions but now it works great, other than the FOV.

Ok, thanks Unknown-One. I got it working but can't seem to find a FOV hack that will work with Halo 1.09, once they updated the game it seems as though it broke all the hacks :(.

Thanks for the config, i had to change some resolutions but now it works great, other than the FOV.
Can you check your file versions real quick?

I know for sure Halo.exe 1.0.8.616 works with HaloThirdFOV.exe 1.1.0.0

Here's a link to the patch version I'm running: http://www.filefront.com/11397973/Halo-1.0.8.616-Patch/

Yea, version 1.09 is file version 1.0.9.620.

if it wasnt for playing MP i would have left it at 1.08. Oh well, i guess I'll have to wait till they update the FOV hack to work, lol.

Thanks for the help :).

Yea, version 1.09 is file version 1.0.9.620.

if it wasnt for playing MP i would have left it at 1.08. Oh well, i guess I'll have to wait till they update the FOV hack to work, lol.

Thanks for the help :).

Multiplayer isn't a problem, 1.08 can play online with 1.09.

I finally got around to making a crude illustration of what happens when the side screens are tilted in without engine support, going back to some earlier posts in this thread:

screentilt.png

Actually, there are ways to adjust the final image in such a way as to make it more correct given the perspective of the monitors.

When you angle the outside monitors inward, you make the outside edges closer, and therefor larger via perspective. What you have to do to correct for this is pinch the outside edges of the picture inwards, like so:

22553852.png

The problem with this is apparent, not only do you have to crop the image, but you have to render it larger than your display area in order to keep the pixel mapping 1:1. You can correct for the cropping by increasing the FOV, but not all games support that, and you're still rendering a lot more than you need to be that just ends up getting cropped off. This will usually result in the game's HUD being cropped as well, which is also undesirable for obvious reasons.

SoftTH actually supports this type of correction, though hardly anybody actually uses it because of all the disadvantages. Eyefinity and the TripleHead2Go lack the ability completely.

Last edited:
Unknown, how did you move your HUD elements in L4D to the center screen?

Actually, there are ways to adjust the final image in such a way as to make it more correct given the perspective of the monitors.

When you angle the outside monitors inward, you make the outside edges closer, and therefor larger via perspective. What you have to do to correct for this is pinch the outside edges of the picture inwards, like so:

The problem with this is apparent, not only do you have to crop the image, but you have to render it larger than your display area in order to keep the pixel mapping 1:1. You can correct for the cropping by increasing the FOV, but not all games support that, and you're still rendering a lot more than you need to be that just ends up getting cropped off. This will usually result in the game's HUD being cropped as well, which is also undesirable for obvious reasons.

SoftTH actually supports this type of correction, though hardly anybody actually uses it because of all the disadvantages. Eyefinity and the TripleHead2Go lack the ability completely.
That's really interesting! I still firmly believe this is something best handled at the engine level, but that's still a neat idea I hadn't even considered.

I think it would be beneficial to everyone if more widely-read media sources recognized this tilt problem when discussing triplehead gaming in the hopes that game developers might be more motivated to support it properly. I don't think many contest its existence, but I also don't think it's widely recognized in the first place.

took one shot of lotro last night.. I think AA was off also.. but here it is

I was having issues with vsync after getting eyefinity going.. it was trying to use 30hz rather than 60! I used D3Doverrider to fix it... I think I can re-enable AA at least 2x... but I can see the single 5870 stugle a bit with lotro at 5760x1080 with everything maxed out... but in most of my other games I didn't have to tweak much for great fps with eyefin.

Finally got my Monitors from Dell, here goes:

Also, I made a quick video with the following games:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irp6LLwaN00

Divinity 2:
divinity2.jpg

Batman Arkham Asylum:
batman.jpg

Unreal Tournament 3:
UT3.jpg

Trackmania:
Trackmania.jpg

Torchlight:
Torchlight.jpg

Titan Quest:
TitanQuest.jpg

Sins of a Solar Empire:
Sins.jpg

Portal:
Portal.jpg

Oblivion:
Oblivion.jpg

Half Life 2: Lost Coast:
LostCoast.jpg

Left 4 Dead 2:
L4D2.jpg

Half Life 2:
HL2.jpg

Fallout 3:
Fallout3.jpg

Dirt 2:
Dirt2.jpg

Dragon Age Origins:
DAO.jpg

Dead Space:
DeadSpace.jpg

Chronicles of Riddick:
DarkAthena.jpg

Crysis:
Crysis.jpg

Counter Strike Source:
CSS.jpg

Burnout Paradise:
Burnout.jpg

^^:eek: good Southern Sun remix in that youtube video by the way. Who does that version and where can I find it? Great video.

Last edited:
Had to pop in to say that's absolutely sick.

I've got 2x24" already, must resist purchasing a 3rd... and a better video card... :eek:

I've got the exact same dilemma... except I'd have to make the switch from Nvidia as well, and truth be told I'm rather fond of my pair of 9800GTX's

^^:eek: good Southern Sun remix in that youtube video by the way. Who does that version and where can I find it? Great video.

It's from Bunkka I believe. I got it a long time ago.

I blasted through Devil May Cry 4 in 6 hours with eyefinity and boy that game is gorgeous with 3 monitors.

Burnout Paradise was a surprising gem since it has built in triple monitor HUD options.

I just got Assassin's Creed to work and plan on playing it again before AC2.

Unfortunately Mass Effect doesn't work (Vert-)... and FOV adjustments break the zoom / doesn't fix the missing HUD.

Man, this thread really makes me wish my desk would work with 3x24" Dell U2410's or something... I really want to try an EyeFinity setup before I commit the bucks to it though (I currently use a 3007WFP-HC).

My hope is that it would be like going from standard 4:3 to a large widescreen 16:10 in terms of how nice it is, but with good 24" 1920x1200 IPS-panel LCD's running around $500+ each, it's a lot to put down on something I'm not sure I'd like (bezels being one thing, but also the lower screen height/sizes... I *think* I'd be OK with bezels as they'd kind of "melt away" while gaming, but I'm not so sure on the height).

Anyone make a switch from 1x30" to 3x24" (IPS) and have thoughts? Also, what kind of desk do you need to support them width-wise, with the center flat-on and the other two sides tilted-in? Or do you use them all flat-against eachother in a current EyeFinity setup?

Åndhrimnir;1035229050 said:
Burnout has triple-monitor support?
WOW. That may seal the deal for me. I loved that game.

I really loved the game too :D... that's awesome to see it has built-in HUD support.

Wow there are some beautiful screenshots in this thread. I can't wait to go Eyefinity. Mirror's Edge looks amazing in those screens. Makes me want to play the game again at a super-high res.

Just picked up Dawn of War II and set it up for triple-head. Turns out, your field of view is so wide, you can view the ENTIRE Last Stand arena without ever having to move the camera :eek:

Click for full size:

This kind of setup is definitely beneficial to RTS players. I'm going to have to try Supreme Commander next.

Back