M-Audio BX5a or Swan D1080mkII?

dparm

Limp Gawd
I'm running the M-Audio AV40s right now but I'm not satisfied with the bass response. I'm using them for everything...movies, games, music, etc.

I have the option of the more powerful M-Audio BX5a, which is dual-amped and has bigger woofers. Obviously they'll go much deeper. The other option is the Swan D1080mkII which has larger woofers, but isn't as powerful.

I get the feeling that the BX5a is the obvious choice here, but everyone raves about the D1080. But will those really be THAT much better than my AV40s?

And if it matters, I am running an HT Omega Striker sound card. The speakers will be sitting on stands that are about 4-5" tall, right at ear level.

Why don't you just add a subwoofer?

The BX5a will have much better bass than the D1080s (65 Hz), according to the specifications. However, 56 Hz still isn't much bass. Even though the AV40's only go down to 85 Hz, a sub that covers the 35-100 Hz range would complement the AV40s nicely. The mids should be better on the BX5a's as well.

The D1080s are comperable to the AV40's. The BX5a's look like the next step up. I believe the KRK monitors have the best bass response for 2.0 monitors (based on specs).

*edit* wow. the KRK speakers are insanely expensive!

Last edited:
Well what's a reasonable subwoofer to pair up with it? I don't want something cheap and "boomy". Just something with an adjustable crossover that can fill in the lower frequencies with tight sound. Doesn't need to shake the floorboards.

Found a pair of KRK RockIt 5s locally for $200, which is the same price as the BX5a.

I've actually got the BIC VK12 as my home theatre sub. Great piece of equipment. I'm still nervous that sub is going to muddy things up a bit and just be too noisy. Plus, it's a big fucker.

I might just go for the Rockit 6s. Seems like that's the only way to get strong bass, short of adding a dedicated sub.

For $200 for a pair of KRK 5's, that seems like a decent option. There are smaller subs available. I'd try hooking it up and see how you like it before purchasing new speakers.

Back