Nvidia's Fermi is delayed

HardLiner

Gawd
Not expected until some time in 2010

NVIDIA HAS CONFIRMED that its already much-maligned Fermi GPU based graphics cards won't be seeing the light of day in 2009.
Nvidia will include Fermi-based GPUs in three different product lines - GeForce, Quadro and Tesla - in the first quarter of fiscal 2011 (January 26-April 26, 2010), said Jen-Hsun Huang, Nvidia's CEO, during a conference call with financial analysts, reports Digitimes.
Obviously this means that Nvidia will ship its new products based on the Fermi GPU range in 2010, instead of near the end of 2009 as originally planned.
This comes after Charlie Demerjian's sources confirmed Fermi's A2 revision had only just finally taped out - which if true meant that real world silicon wouldn't ship in 2009.
Considering that multiple sources are toeing the same line, it appears that Nvidia fans won't be seeing Fermi this side of Christmas. In fact, we tend to doubt they'll see graphics cards at retail before May.
A small ray of light for Nvidia comes in the form of apparent difficulties with TSMC's 40nm process - the same process currently producing GPUs on behalf of AMD.
It seems that AMD might not be able to take full advantage of Nvidia's delay, having to cope with delays in shipping its new 40nm-based Radeon HD5800 series.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1561640/nvidia-fermi-delayed
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20091109PD208.html

Last edited:
Well that sucks doesn't it? Back then NVIDIA was the king of the competition and it looks like the tables have turned and ATI really got serious the last year.

Looks like Christmas came early for ATI.

wow nvidia actually confirmed something..

wait crap that means charlie was right again... damnit sucks for all you charlie haters..

(i have no clue who charlie is nor have i ever read any of his articles but you guys sure do bitch about him a lot)

No surprises here. I hate admitting Charlie was right, but scream enough crap about something and some of it will be truth.

Not surprised. Rumors like this have been floating around for a while now.

To say that this wont impact on the companys performance is a lie in my opinion, if ati can just get some more 5870's on the market fermi will not beome the success they are hoping for.

Tiv

Seemed like everyone had already been reporting this for a while now. I don't think it really required Nostradamus to realize this wasn't coming out in 2009.

You know I think Nvidia may be delaying it due to the fact that they were not expecting the new ATI GPU to be so fast. Nvidia really dropped the ball this round.

wow nvidia actually confirmed something..

wait crap that means charlie was right again... damnit sucks for all you charlie haters..

(i have no clue who charlie is nor have i ever read any of his articles but you guys sure do bitch about him a lot)

He typically has an ounce of truth in each article, but raving fanboism slobbers his drivel all over it.

He is the idiot that makes all AMD fans look bad, so...
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Seemed like everyone had already been reporting this for a while now. I don't think it really required Nostradamus to realize this wasn't coming out in 2009.
Yup, I remember seeing posts by Kyle and a few other sources months ago pointing this out.
He typically has an ounce of truth in each article, but raving fanboism slobbers his drivel all over it.
He is the idiot that makes all AMD fans look bad, so...
I've always characterized his writing as more anti-NVIDIA rather than pro-AMD.

Yup, I remember seeing posts by Kyle and a few other sources months ago pointing this out.

I've always characterized his writing as more anti-NVIDIA rather than pro-AMD.

I think I can count on one hand how many times we have publicly made statements about something of this magnitude that were wrong. :) Our batting average is a lot higher than most. :)

Might go back and check how many awards we gave to NVIDIA. Was whole lot of pro-NV writing there for a while. We base our opinions on the company and its products.

I wouldn't use the term "delayed" since a timeframe was never officially posted until now.

Most estimates have always pointed to 2010 for Fermi.

bleh, with the 40 nm problems and Fermi delayed, the radeon 5XXX series likely won't see any price drops any time soon. The 58XX is right at the price they should be(not counting retailer markup), but I feel the 57XX could use it.

TSMC better fix the 40nm issues, because with the size of Fermi chips, nvidia is gonna have bigger issues with the TSMC than AMD has now..

It seems that there's only one party that can gain from all this 40nm TSMC BS... Unfortunately I hope they're not just hanging around twiddling their thumbs. Thats is....

INTEL...

Someone needs to step up to the plate to push an otherwise stagnant market. We're already reaching a point where developers have had enough with downgrading PC titles so that they'll be cross platformable with consoles, so I don't know what the big hold up is.

TSMC should be shittin' a brick about how many lost sales they're encountering with the 40nm problems.

Guess I wont get a 58xx in my stocking this year.....cuz you nknow the prices are just going to climb.

May?

By that time, we are getting the refreshed 5800 series cards and the ATI 6800 series will be announced in June.

lol, Nvidia has a tough road ahead for them until they can get their release schedule to match ATI's again.

Fermi will not only have to crush the 5800 series, but also have to match the performance of the ATI 68xx 32nm series to be relevant in 2010.

Guess I wont get a 58xx in my stocking this year.....cuz you nknow the prices are just going to climb.

Don't be so sure. More are coming, about to publish an article on this with very fresh information.

Well, unlike what is seems for other users, my pc does not need to have a new card on Christmas to prevent it from melting and auto destructing or something...yeah my PC can actually wait until January or February just fine! How I do it is a secret that I will share with anyone that sends me paypal donation. ;)

The only part of this that truly dissapoints me is that this means no holiday price drive downs. Im ready to upgrade to maybe a GTX285/275 was just hoping a price war would ensue sooner than later.

Well despite the 'wOOts' from the Nvidia haters, this is bad news for everyone. No new product to stir competition and hopefully lower prices. Production problems. No inventory. Seems like graphics evolution has ground to a slow crawl compaired to years ago.

This will impact games as well. With new tech slowly dribbling out, what motivates game makers to kick it up a notch? Not much.

with the size of fermi chips, they wouldnt be competing with 58xx in price anyway. i dont see whats the hope for AMD dropping price coz of competition. also i think the 58xx are priced fair..

not like Gtx280 *cough*cough* $649 @ launch

Maybe nVidia went back to the drawing board to include "Eyefinity" in their next gen or something similar ?
Now that I am gaming on 3 - 24" in Portrait mode of 3600x1920res, no way I am going back to nVidia unless they can handle the same resolution

This will impact games as well. With new tech slowly dribbling out, what motivates game makers to kick it up a notch? Not much.

Uhh, game makers are in no way hamstrung by current GPU technology. Most PC games BARELY advantage of what's available now, outside of a handful of outliers like Crysis, Arkham Asylum, and Shattered Horizon. To say that game makers aren't 'motivated' because of a lack of new tech doesn't make any sense. They aren't 'motivated' (to dev mid to high-end PC games) because console development is taking up most of their time.

Uhh, game makers are in no way hamstrung by current GPU technology. Most PC games BARELY advantage of what's available now, ...They aren't 'motivated' because console development is taking up most of their time.

Or more likely they are hamstrung by the GPU technology in consoles.

Anyway, the conference call the articles talk about actually happened back on 5 Nov, so this isnt really breaking news, but here it is: http://seekingalpha.com/article/171...-earnings-call-transcript?source=yahoo&page=1

it seems the talk is of Fermi being delayed but i really think the talk should be how AMD/ATI changed their strategy with the 4800 and how it is paying off as far as getting products to market etc...

when the 4800 came out there was a great article about how ATI changed from a their strategy from, go for the biggest and best to a go for efficiency in manufacturing and simplicity in design.

i really thought Nvidia would have seen the benefit of this and changed their strategy a little bit. Instead they are again going for brute force (Bigger == better).

i really have to hand it to ATI for what they done for their graphics cards..

Simple designs (Relatively speaking), High performance, Efficient manufactoring, and montly driver updates..

They have done a great job. By the time GT300 comes out i will be ready to upgrade (my 4870 has another year at least in its tank) which works out well for me , but it seems the 5870/5850 has become the new 8800GT. (The upgrade cycle for video cards is another discussion for another day)

-edit here i found the article, great read even today

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3469&p=1

Just wondering, could this be possible?

Nvidia: "hey amd, lets play a game. i'll let you be king for this year and you'll let me be king next year. Then lets play a "make believe price war" but in the shadows we'll decide on pricing.

Just wondering, could this be possible?

Nvidia: "hey amd, lets play a game. i'll let you be king for this year and you'll let me be king next year. Then lets play a "make believe price war" but in the shadows we'll decide on pricing.

Yes... If this can happen on the golf courses ala "Samsung, Toshiba and Sony" then why the hell not! :D

its dissapointing because we, as enthusiasts, wont see much new video card technology for a long time, which sucks. nothin else really matters, any video card runs every game nowadays

ATi really has a chance to get some much needed market share. It's about time that Nvidia get put in their place. Now maybe instead of doing stupid shit like point out other company's faults......

They got a long hard road a head..hopefully they learn from and survive it

its dissapointing because we, as enthusiasts, wont see much new video card technology for a long time, which sucks. nothin else really matters, any video card runs every game nowadays

I'm not sure why people keep reiterating this statement over and over again.

I'm somewhat under the impression that most of us wouldn't be silly enough to buy the same card rebranded. IE, A lot of forum members who had a 8800GTX or 2x8800 GTXs didn't get tempted by upgrading to the 9800 gtx or the later 9800gtx+, etc. Two 8800 GTXs today for example are still quite relevant and still produce good FPS/IQ.

In order to convince me to upgrade from a ATI Radeon 5870 to another ATI card, it would need to be significantly more powerful or have some significant new innovate features. Or, my 5870 would have to die a few times such that warranty runs out, etc. I wouldn't buy a new ATI card just becasue they change the name say the 5875 and up the clockspeeds 5% across the board. So I think we'll still see innovation if ATI likes seeing their current customers continue to keep buying cards even if nVidia falls behind in gpu development for a year or two?

i reiterate because its true and its the most important thing to remember. i had a 8800 gts til it broke and then got this on the fly at bestbuy cause i wanted something that-day. it was also the highest rated card on newegg which made the decision easy. i want a dx11 card also and was hoping for some fermi stuff to come out soon and atleast push the market forward.

Knowing now that fermi will be delayed I can't stop thinking about the possibility of NVIDIA bribing TSMC to slow the production of 5870's down.

Tiv

Knowing now that fermi will be delayed I can't stop thinking about the possibility of NVIDIA bribing TSMC to slow the production of 5870's down.

Tiv
Can it be slowed down more than it is now ?

I think that they're selling them as fast as they come off the line they probably don't want to slow it down. It's complicated though.

Back