Nvidia's Fermi is delayed

Did they say Fermi was going to be out this year? Maybe it's because HardOCP is my home page, but I thought the expectation has been that it'll be next year probably in February for awhile now? Why is the sudden 'news' that it isn't coming out this year being reported as if it's something new people are just now learning?

Knowing now that fermi will be delayed I can't stop thinking about the possibility of NVIDIA bribing TSMC to slow the production of 5870's down.

Tiv

Doubtful, since they'd automatically lose AMD (and possibly others) as a customer from that point forward. You don't want to rely on a company that can be easily coerced against you, and I doubt TSMC would want to willingly alienate/lose customers. This entire 40nm issue is already doing a great job of sullying its reputation.

Knowing now that fermi will be delayed I can't stop thinking about the possibility of NVIDIA bribing TSMC to slow the production of 5870's down.

Tiv

tsmc is 700% of nvda in terms of market cap, 400% of nvda's revenue, I doubt that unless the ceo of tsmc is banging huang's wife/daugther.

Did they say Fermi was going to be out this year? Maybe it's because HardOCP is my home page, but I thought the expectation has been that it'll be next year probably in February for awhile now? Why is the sudden 'news' that it isn't coming out this year being reported as if it's something new people are just now learning?

no. they didnt announce, but you have to keep up with your competition or you gonna lose market share. amd and nvidia try to stick with certain product cycle. like back to school shopping time, holiday shopping etc. they introduce new products in that timeframe. this year AMD is there, but nvidia will have the new product next year.. so technically they are 6 months late.. same thing happened 3 yrs ago with G80. Nvidia released G80.6-8 months later AMD released R600.. we all know what happened after that.. AMD is still trying to recover the market share it lost during that time.

I had to rma one of my 5870's and they're just giving me a refund... Back to the sniper post.

no. they didnt announce, but you have to keep up with your competition or you gonna lose market share. amd and nvidia try to stick with certain product cycle. like back to school shopping time, holiday shopping etc. they introduce new products in that timeframe. this year AMD is there, but nvidia will have the new product next year.. so technically they are 6 months late.. same thing happened 3 yrs ago with G80. Nvidia released G80.6-8 months later AMD released R600.. we all know what happened after that.. AMD is still trying to recover the market share it lost during that time.

What was the quote he said at the conference last month? i'm pretty sure he said it would be out this year.

As much as I hate the lack of competition in the GPU arena right now, I'll welcome this as a kick in the ass to a GPU provider with a growing Napoleon Complex.

Hopefully this will really push nVidia to develop something powerful and quicker in future cycles. They won't be forgetting this screw-up for a while.

Tiv

Well the CEO did fly to TW to have a private talk with TSMC's CEO just last month IIRC.

But that would reaaaaaly be stretching it. Can you just IMAGINE the shit storm that would break out if people ever found out? It would be the biggest business scandal of the 21st century. And like others said there's no need for TSMC to do that.

As much as I hate the lack of competition in the GPU arena right now, I'll welcome this as a kick in the ass to a GPU provider with a growing Napoleon Complex.

Hopefully this will really push nVidia to develop something powerful and quicker in future cycles. They won't be forgetting this screw-up for a while.

Probably not,Nvidia is in a bit of a mess if Fermi doesn't come out until February or March will they then launch a new set of cards to match ATI's 68xx series cards 7 months later in September or October?

Assuming ATI launches the same time next year.

Well the CEO did fly to TW to have a private talk with TSMC's CEO just last month IIRC.

But that would reaaaaaly be stretching it. Can you just IMAGINE the shit storm that would break out if people ever found out? It would be the biggest business scandal of the 21st century. And like others said there's no need for TSMC to do that.

And would drive ATi to use GF, regardless of any issues with GF.

I am very disappointing, and i sold my GTX295 hoping i will get the GT300 anytime soon....guess not.

If Fermi/GT300 is scheduled to release at April next year, and few months later ATI is supposedly to release their next generation, RV980 or 6xxx series, what will NVIDIA do then I doubt they would have another generation ready, and I heard ATI will use a 28nm process this time.

ROFL!! No shit man. Some people will believe ANYTHING.

Maybe because we humans will DO ANYTHING for that extra edge? We are a greedy/selfish/self centered species after all. (Not saying I agree with them, but it's not unheard of, nor would it surprise me if true.)

Back