Who's folding large?

Axdrenalin

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - Nov. 2009
I was just curious who among us was folding with the -bigadv option flag, and what kinds of frame times are you seeing and your machine specs? I've considered it myself, but just can't bring myself to disrupt my existing setups since they're flowing so well lately.

So, fess up guys (and gals)...Who's folding [H]ard and large? :D

Last edited:
I is!!!

Using my i7 920 @ 3.1GHz

Im not getting them done in the 2.7days so Im only getting 25k points but I get around the same PPD if I just run standard WU's
Takes around 46min per step

What would the cutoff be for these? I see 3.8 thrown out alot, is there any truth to that number or are people just saying if you are that high than you can probably get them done?

Does the VM player 3.0 work for this or do you have to spring for workstation?

I'm very much tempted to get a i7 and clock the heck out of it to do the -bigadv

What would the cutoff be for these? I see 3.8 thrown out alot, is there any truth to that number or are people just saying if you are that high than you can probably get them done?

2.7 days is the cutoff for the 50k
after that time its 25k

I'm very much tempted to get a i7 and clock the heck out of it to do the -bigadv

Yes VMplayer3.0 will work, thats what I use.

I just started running these on my i7 @ 4Ghz...So far, it looks as if I will be able to complete the unit with 12-14 hours to spare on the deadline...

I am currently visiting my parents and my girlfriend had a friend over...I was 75% completed with one of my units and her friend hit the power switch on my UPS and I lost the work unit.../slap!

And to answer your question, yes VM Player 3.0 can now support all 8 cores...My new work unit is at 26% and is scheduled to finish in around 1 day and 21 hours...i'll let you know what the bonus is like :)

Notfreds is currently not compatible with these, at least not without modification, so I just made a new ubuntu vm and gave it a little over 4 gigs of ram and seems to be folding nicely.

Any one have suggestions on a mobo for a i860 rig? Micro is fine.... Don't want to go broke building it if I do.

Or are the 920 the only single chip (with OC-ing) that will let you complete the bonus WU?

IIRC you just need '8 cores' so you would need a i7 to get the hyper threading to run those units.

I just built an i7 box and I used this MSi board. So far I'm really liking it. Havent OCed yet though because I had one stick of RAM die. :(

Any one have suggestions on a mobo for a i860 rig? Micro is fine.... Don't want to go broke building it if I do.

Or are the 920 the only single chip (with OC-ing) that will let you complete the bonus WU?

I personally am staying away from the 1156's for OC purposes because there was a big issue with the sockets getting burned during OC's

IIRC you just need '8 cores' so you would need a i7 to get the hyper threading to run those units.

I just built an i7 box and I used this MSi board. So far I'm really liking it. Havent OCed yet though because I had one stick of RAM die. :(

The 860 is an i7, its just 1156 socket based :)

So it's been awhile..... anyways was consider cranking the folding back up on the Dell 690 up here for the winter. Dual quad-core xeons - will it deal with these new uber fat work units?

So it's been awhile..... anyways was consider cranking the folding back up on the Dell 690 up here for the winter. Dual quad-core xeons - will it deal with these new uber fat work units?

Unless you have the CPUs with high clocks it wont finish them in time to be worth it.

Edit - double checked.

Dual, Quad Core Xeon E5345 2.33Ghz

Last edited:
The 860 is an i7, its just 1156 socket based :)

I never said anything about the 860. I just said that you needed an i7 to run these WUs. It doesnt matter about the socket type. Just the thread count. ;)

I own an i7 860. Works great. Runs cool with a Noctua cooler. :) No regrets on the processor or the MSI board.

Did a little looking and it looks like it "might" pull it off. Also just checked and this machine supports the x5365 3ghz procs. Might have to find a pair of those to upgrade it. Not sure though - they look to average over $400 each on eBay and they are the older clovertown core procs. :(

You could try..... I think you right on the cut off.

I'm going to be following this guide found here (If i take the i7 plunge). Handy dandy pre-made VM too :D

Good to see ya back MixMan!

Yea, they are expensive.
That why i sold my 690 and bought a i7 920. its faster than my 2x E5320's were and was cheaper than upgrading.

Also your 5345's are Clovertowns BTW

Yeah..... replacing the entire machine nor spending over 800 on new procs is not going to be an option anytime soon. Just looked more and I see the SMP client still has the same horrible install procedure. lol This is a production machine running x64 Win7. Looks like I'm in for a treat to get it folding again.

Yeah..... replacing the entire machine nor spending over 800 on new procs is not going to be an option anytime soon. Just looked more and I see the SMP client still has the same horrible install procedure. lol This is a production machine running x64 Win7. Looks like I'm in for a treat to get it folding again.

"horrible install procedure" :confused:

You just run a VM and everything happens inside of it. Easy peasy.

The link i posted above has a pre-made VM, just needs settings put in.

"horrible install procedure" :confused:

You just run a VM and everything happens inside of it. Easy peasy.

The link i posted above has a pre-made VM, just needs settings put in.

Yea windows SMP FTL
Linux VMs FTW!!!

Seriously with those you could get some good numbers from a single VM with -smp 8

I think I'll look into it. Everytime I've tried the VM stuff before it did not work out so well. Notfreds was pretty easy to deal with but I cannot be shutting this box down all the time.

I think I'll look into it. Everytime I've tried the VM stuff before it did not work out so well. Notfreds was pretty easy to deal with but I cannot be shutting this box down all the time.

I've run my system for weeks on end with the VM going, all 4 cores 100% and no reboots. Only time I reboot is for hardware exchange or driver/software install.

I'm going to be following this guide found here

I gave that guide a try and downloaded the image. It looks like my i7 will finish up in plenty of time.

25i8ytu.jpg

I gave that guide a try and downloaded the image. It looks like my i7 will finish up in plenty of time.

http://i36.tinypic.com/25i8ytu.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

Not Quite

If you were finishing on time then you would be getting 50k for that WU.
So you are getting 10k PPD on that BigWU, whereas on regular SMP WU's you would be getting around 12kPPD

to get the 50k you need to finish in 2.7 days or it changes it to 25k if you finish in time alloted, but you are sacrificing points if you dont make it in the 50k time period.
Its suppose to be an incentive to those that huge processing power.

It has been a long while.

Where the Eff have you been?

Nice to see ya around in these parts, brotha!

Not Quite

If you were finishing on time then you would be getting 50k for that WU.
So you are getting 10k PPD on that BigWU, whereas on regular SMP WU's you would be getting around 12kPPD

to get the 50k you need to finish in 2.7 days or it changes it to 25k if you finish in time alloted, but you are sacrificing points if you dont make it in the 50k time period.
Its suppose to be an incentive to those that huge processing power.

22h past with 37 to go is 59 hours. 2.7 days is 64.8 hours. He should have it finished in time.

:confused:

I wouldn't expect FAHon wont show the bonus from my understanding, it's only after the WU is turned in do you get it. Unless I've missed something

I havent completed ten of the regular units with my passkey yet. As soon as I see that It does finish in time I will churn out the regular units and then get back to the bigadv ones.

I wouldn't expect FAHon wont show the bonus from my understanding, it's only after the WU is turned in do you get it. Unless I've missed something
Correct. Monitoring apps calculate PPD based on workunit point values, and since the value of this workunit is still 25k, the PPD will be calculated based on that. The added PPD from the bonus will only show up in the actual F@H stats.
You have to have a passkey set up to get the bonus?
Yep.

Correct. Monitoring apps calculate PPD based on workunit point values, and since the value of this workunit is still 25k, the PPD will be calculated based on that. The added PPD from the bonus will only show up in the actual F@H stats.

Yep.

Ahhh I see

For those that are running this guys VM, are you having timeshift issues?

The time on VM keeps getting way off, and I cant figure out whats causing it.

I havent noticed anything out of the ordinary. I will keep a closer eye on it just in case though.

Yea Player3 is what I was using and was getting timeshift problems

I tried workstation 7 and it wont even start

Tried to set one up on my dual-quad Xeon box inside a VM.
It just shut the box down when fired up.
But its folding 2x 4core VM's fine.

Next thing to try is putting Linux on the box and a native install.

Luck ........... :D

Back