Who's folding large?

Anyone went to sell/give me another 6GB kit then? lol. I have 6GBs right now and normal usage for me while not folding is already 1.5 GBs, so I can only comfortably allocate ~4GBs to it. Maybe I'll pop one of my thumb drives in and try out that "readyboost" tech Microsoft touts in Vista and Win7 (where it uses a flash drive as you page file instad of your HDD - supposed to be faster). I think I actually only have the default 3600MB allocated to it. But I'm not even running -bigadv yet.. should I need it for normal/big WUs? I'm just trying to do my first 10 WUs with passkey right now. I find it insane if the regular big WUs are over 3.6 GBs.

Thanks!

Do not do ready boost, it will just slow things down.

I have a tip for my fellow folders...

When cleaning up around your desk make sure that you don't unplug your UPS that has a bad battery.

My VM was uploading a -bigadv WU when it happened and the results have yet to show up. :(

UPDATE:

a few updates later and the points finally show up. :)

Last edited:
Engage!

i7.jpg

With bonus (found here) my i7 rig should put out about 20k ppd.

Now I just need to find a GPU or 2.

Ok, I traded off a few gpu's and now I'm going to have 8 quad core opterons, should I build 2 16 core 16 gig rigs or one 32 core 32 gig rig? Price is an issue, I've got hospital bills now
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Nice :D

Did you set the voltage on that i7 to 1.2v or do you have the voltage set to auto?
I have mine set to auto but I've been thinking about trying to find the lowest possible voltage to keep mine stable. I guess that I'll give that a try when this WU finishes up.

I notice that you are using the 21 multiplier as well. I can't seem to get mine to stay at 21 for some reason. I set mine at 21 in the BIOS and it always seems to drop back to 20.

Last edited:
Ok, I traded off a few gpu's and now I'm going to have 8 quad core opterons, should I build 2 16 core 16 gig rigs or one 32 core 32 gig rig? Price is an issue, I've got hospital bills now

Wow. Looks like one more [H]orde member is going to be mowing me over. :eek:

I would go with whichever option is cheaper.

Ive been aiming at you for a long time doozer...

Damn it Vaulter, I'm going to be hitting 50k ppd very soon and you're still gonna out do me. Let me have more of a headstart.

Maybe it is time that I start doing a little extra work on the side to feed my farm :)

I'm going large. Downclocked my i7 to 3.4 and doing 38 minute frames. Getting around 20k ppd with the i7 now.

It's good to see that more and more of the team are jumping on these bigadv WUs. All of the bonus points will help us maintain our #1 spot.

I've got a bigadv in the oven right now and should be done Thursday morning. Frame times for me are averaging 35.5 min per frame while running both of my video cards. :D

Nice :D

Did you set the voltage on that i7 to 1.2v or do you have the voltage set to auto?
I have mine set to auto but I've been thinking about trying to find the lowest possible voltage to keep mine stable. I guess that I'll give that a try when this WU finishes up.

I notice that you are using the 21 multiplier as well. I can't seem to get mine to stay at 21 for some reason. I set mine at 21 in the BIOS and it always seems to drop back to 20.

Honestly OC-ing this thing is way way more complex than the Q6600.

I think I have my voltage on auto, but then again it might not be, I messed with a bunch of setting to keep heat down and the OC up.

I'm an overclocking noob so I just changed it to 190x20 and left everything else set to auto

I'm running a Coolermaster V8. My load temps run around 80C unless I let it get really hot in the room then it may get up to around 90C but it never gets above 90C. I'd rather it didn't get any higher than 80 but even at 90 it is still 10 degrees away from TjMax.

anybody using their bigadv box for general use as well?

Mine really struggles to keep up with only 6gb RAM at times. Running SMP -7 with about 3.5gb allocated to the VM.

Thinking about running to microcenter for another 6gb kit, although I know my wallet and wife would both hate me.

I'm using my everyday box. With 6GB it was pretty much dragging if I tried to do anything other than web browsing. I added another 6GB and it made a huge difference.

I'm using my everyday box. With 6GB it was pretty much dragging if I tried to do anything other than web browsing. I added another 6GB and it made a huge difference.

I'm probably going to have to do that same. Haven't had a chance to do any gaming on it yet.

didn't wanna hear that.

I'm an overclocking noob so I just changed it to 190x20 and left everything else set to auto

Lol, when I did that, CPU-Z said my mobo was giving my i7 1.43v at those exact same speeds (190x20) and it was running around 100°C :eek:! See what you'rs is giving it and check your temps with Realtemp, I'm interested, hah. Is yours nekkid too? Edit: Nvm, saw your post now. I have a V8 too and I'm seeing temps at 80°C MAX temp after folding for 48 hours at 1.26875v. You'd cool it off a lot if you took it off Auto and see how low you can go as I did. If you got an Asus board, I use the software OC utility to knock the voltage up/down as Prime95 or my VM is running, then when I found a stable voltage, I set mine in the BIOS.

Engage!
*snip

With bonus (found here) my i7 rig should put out about 20k ppd.

Now I just need to find a GPU or 2.

Wow, I'm amazed your mobo is only giving yours 1.2v on auto at 3.5 GHz. Was the voltage jumping around at all (mine did while under load)?

I finally got mine stable at 3.8 GHz (190x20) with vCore set to 1.26875v set manually in the BIOS. What's your temps under load too? Are you nekkid?

That's weird, I'm running 6GB and mine doesn't drag at all. I was actually playing L4D2 all last night while folding and still didn't slow down or start page filing like crazy. I have 5,000 MB allocated to my VM. Also, it only knocked my PPD from 10.5k PPD to around 6.5k PPD. Are you running Windows 7?

Last edited:
uh. hey guys quick question.

when you go to my computer/properties, how much RAM does it say you have?

Mine says 6GB (4GB useable)

64 bit win 7 pro.....what gives? Is the VM taking some of that?

I do have three GTX275, which I know can somehow steal RAM.

Lol, when I did that, CPU-Z said my mobo was giving my i7 1.43v at those exact same speeds (190x20) and it was running around 100°C :eek:! See what you'rs is giving it and check your temps with Realtemp, I'm interested, hah. See below for what I did about it. Is yours nekkid too?

Wow, I'm amazed your mobo is only giving yours 1.2v on auto at 3.5 GHz. Was the voltage jumping around at all (mine did while under load)?

I finally got mine stable at 3.8 GHz (190x20) with vCore set to 1.26865v set manually in the BIOS. What's your temps under load too? Are you nekkid?

That's weird, I'm running 6GB and mine doesn't drag at all. I was actually playing L4D2 all last night while folding and still didn't slow down. I have 5,000 MB allocated to my VM. Also, it only knocked my PPD from 10.5k PPD to around 6.5k PPD. Are you running Windows 7?

Only way to fold my friend :cool:

barei71.jpg

barei72.jpg

BTW the syste is still on, camera just has a fast shutter, kinda hard to post pics from a system that's off ;)

Is your CPU voltage still on Auto in the BIOS though? I want to know what your mobo is giving it on average while folding. Did you have any crashes while OCing?

Like I said, I didn't have a good experience while voltage was on Auto, though it was stable while I had it set, it ran way too hot because it was giving too much voltage.

this is what I am getting with my voltages set to auto.
I have 5GB dedicated to my VM as well.

6o2xyt.jpg

uh. hey guys quick question.

when you go to my computer/properties, how much RAM does it say you have?

Mine says 6GB (4GB useable)

64 bit win 7 pro.....what gives? Is the VM taking some of that?

I do have three GTX275, which I know can somehow steal RAM.

I'm pretty sure graphics cards will only steal RAM on 32-bit OSs because 32-bit OS can only recognize up to 4GB RAM which includes GDDR RAM, so that shouldn't be it.

But I'm not sure why it's only seeing 4 usable otherwise. What mobo/RAM? Might wanna check BIOS version and see if there's an update. That's the only thing I can think of.

Is your CPU voltage still on Auto in the BIOS though? I want to know what your mobo is giving it on average while folding. Did you have any crashes while OCing?

Like I said, I didn't have a good experience while voltage was on Auto, though it was stable while I had it set, it ran way too hot because it was giving too much voltage.

Your going to make me shut this VM down and reboot......

/sigh, brb

Gigabyte x58-ud5 and Corsair xms3 1600 cas 8

I'm moving some files around, once they're done I'm gonna reboot and make sure the BIOS sees 6gb.

I'm pretty sure graphics cards will only steal RAM on 32-bit OSs because 32-bit OS can only recognize up to 4GB RAM which includes GDDR RAM, so that shouldn't be it.

But I'm not sure why it's only seeing 4 usable otherwise. What mobo/RAM? Might wanna check BIOS version and see if there's an update. That's the only thing I can think of.

The Graphics card RAM is not using directly 1:1 address space, as the VRAM is independently controlled by the on-GPU memory controller.

this is what I am getting with my voltages set to auto.
I have 5GB dedicated to my VM as well.

*snip

Wow, that's pretty cool for 1.38v going to it! You have to be nekkid with a fan on it or something? lol, mine was getting up to 100°C at that voltage, but I'm in a case.

Like I said, you'd still get much better temps if you used a software OC utility (I'm sure your mobo came with one) to knock voltage down to lower temps and still keep it stable. That's what I had to do since I'm in a case. Like I said, we have the same stepping and I'm stable at 1.26865v in the BIOS. I'll bet you'll go down to around 70°C if you do the same.

I'm running mine in an antec 900. I'll take a look at the OC utility. Im using a MSI X58M and the utility looked down right confusing when I first looked at it. I'm sure that there is a newer version now though.

The Graphics card RAM is not using directly 1:1 address space, as the VRAM is independently controlled by the on-GPU memory controller.

Well this may be true, but I've seen several threads before where people are running 32 bit XP/Vista with 4GB RAM but only saw 3GB because their card has 1GB GDDR RAM. I'm not sure on the technical reason why, but it is what causes it. Either that, or it's a BIOS/mobo issue like I would initially suspect. But he's running 64-bit, so I'm not even considering it's his OS first.

Your going to make me shut this VM down and reboot......

/sigh, brb

lol, you shouldn't have to reboot. Just a look at CPU Z to see the voltages are jumping around at. If you want to change/lower CPU voltage, use your mobos OC utility to do it on the fly. I just kept lowering mine in windows until it BSOD'd, lol. Then bumped it back up, it BSOD'd again 3 hours later, bumped up again, BSOD'd 12 hours later, bumped it up another notch, and I've been stable for 48 hours now a 1.26865v, haha.

Gigabyte x58-ud5 and Corsair xms3 1600 cas 8

I'm moving some files around, once they're done I'm gonna reboot and make sure the BIOS sees 6gb.

Cool, I have the exact same RAM as you. Yeah, check your RAM in BIOS and then see what version it has and see if your mobo manufacturer has an update for it (you can check the update notes to see if the new BIOSs fixes RAM compatibilities/issues).

Last edited:
With a 32bit windows OS you will see between 3 and 4GB reported depending on your motherboard from what I have read.

Well this may be true, but I've seen several threads before where people are running 32 bit XP/Vista with 4GB RAM but only saw 3GB because their card has 1GB GDDR RAM. I'm not sure on the technical reason why, but it is what causes it.

Were they using a 945G chipset? Intel chipsets (consumer) of that era supported 4GB, but no memory readdressing.

The graphics card will, by virtue of it's massive bus, take up a significant amount of address space on it's own, but it's graphics memory will not make such a significant impact. (nVidia chipsets with a single slot reserverd ~ 1GB of address space for the PCIe16 slot [and a lither more for the shared PCI bus], and had that 'extra memory' remapped up to the 5-6GB range - to allow 32bit compatibility).

I looked in the bios, it was set to 1.26875, that is quite a drop from the 1.2 it was showing. :eek:

However, I changed it to auto and this.......

i7auto.jpg

This is horrid, I'm switching back, even if it takes forever to get in and out of the VM.

Edit, FAHMon had not had a chance to refresh the VM info, it was running though.

Last edited:
Back