Who's folding large?

I might have an issue with the -bigadv flag but I'm not done troubleshooting yet. I realized that I maybe didn't devote enough RAM to the VM yet (and now I'm trying 8 cores to the VM as well), right now it's in the middle of another work unit I'm letting it finish and then we'll see if the -bigadv flag works. I know I have more than 10 work units done, so once this one finishes in a couple hours I'll see if it works. Hopefully. I'd like to get a huge boost in points...

hmm I think i did it correctly, I havn't tried the bigadv flag yet

bigadv.jpg

HFM.net is impressive. I've changed over to it from FAHMON.

hmm, might have to look into this once I get my 32 core rig up
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

-bigadv looks interesting, I bought this I7 to game, but I much rather fold with it :D
- off to try the guide, thanks for the linky K.

I did finally get the files last night and got everything installed and running before bed. As of this morning it looks like it's doing about 40 min per frame so it should complete before the time limit is up, as long as it stays stable.

Thanks again for everyone's input and assistance.
thumbsup.gif

Quick question. I have had my i7 crunching the 1920's for the past day and a half, but am not able to monitor the amount of work units complete. Anybody have an idea about how long it should be before I have my 10 complete? I down clocked my cpu to 3.6ghz and am only seeing about 8.2k ppd out of it if that helps.

At 8.2kppd it should take just under 5 days, depending on how long you have between work units.

Quick question. I have had my i7 crunching the 1920's for the past day and a half, but am not able to monitor the amount of work units complete. Anybody have an idea about how long it should be before I have my 10 complete? I down clocked my cpu to 3.6ghz and am only seeing about 8.2k ppd out of it if that helps.

Look in your FAHlog.txt file.
Just after you upload a work-unit you get a couple of line like .......
Code:
[16:24:39] + Results successfully sent
[16:24:39] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@Home.
[16:24:39] + Number of Units Completed: 1640
The "Number of Units Completed" equals the number of work-units that client has sent in.
If it's a new install change to -bigadv at 10 or 11 just to be safe.

But at ~8k you'll be doing ~4 WU per day, so 3 days should be about right.

Luck .............. :D

I got two blades crunching -bigadv now. according to HFM one will get the bonus and one wont. I can only use 7 cores on one of them so i might just go back to normal bigs. Assuming HFM's predictions are correct I'm currently doing 24k PPD with my esx cluster, up from 12k from yesterday. Switching from windows smp to linux was a huge boost.

I got two blades crunching -bigadv now. according to HFM one will get the bonus and one wont. I can only use 7 cores on one of them so i might just go back to normal bigs. Assuming HFM's predictions are correct I'm currently doing 24k PPD with my esx cluster, up from 12k from yesterday. Switching from windows smp to linux was a huge boost.

Good stuff :D. But why can't you run all 8 cores on the other one and just give it low/idle priority? That way it won't affect any other software dependent on that one core you're saving for it.

Just curious. ;)

its our vcetner host. I don't want the cpu alarms going off. But i think i might be the only one using that env now now I might just boost it to 8 cores.

I installed a sick HS22 with dual E5540 procs but its running win2k3 and vmware player really sucked on it, its detects 16 logical cores and assigns 8 logical to each vm which is way too slow for bigadv at 2.5ghz.

I'm trying to get a live cd going on it.

Looks like my Blades aren't going to get the bonus, it'll take over 3 days so thats a no go :(

So disapointed. I guess 8x2Ghz cores just ain't gonna cut it. I wish i could OC it so bad :mad:

Looks like my Blades aren't going to get the bonus, it'll take over 3 days so thats a no go :(

So disapointed. I guess 8x2Ghz cores just ain't gonna cut it. I wish i could OC it so bad :mad:
That is a downer for sure. It seems 2GHz isn't quick enough even for the newest Xeons. What make are the motherboards on these systems?

BTW, running -bigadv WUs supposedly still nets a higher PPD average than running standard SMP WUs even if you don't process them fast enough to receive the bonus points. That's what I'm reading on several forums including this one. It's not a huge amount, probably 1000-2000 PPD per 8 cores, but worth it especially since the small increase multiplies over several systems. Thought to let everyone know that even if you don't make the bonus but have the RAM and the core count, run them anyway. :)

Am I correct in my understanding that as long as the unit is completed before it's due date they give bonus points ?

That is a downer for sure. It seems 2GHz isn't quick enough even for the newest Xeons. What make are the motherboards on these systems?

BTW, running -bigadv WUs supposedly still nets a higher PPD average than running standard SMP WUs even if you don't process them fast enough to receive the bonus points. That's what I'm reading on several forums including this one. It's not a huge amount, probably 1000-2000 PPD per 8 cores, but worth it especially since the small increase multiplies over several systems. Thought to let everyone know that even if you don't make the bonus but have the RAM and the core count, run them anyway. :)

They're IBM HS21 blades so they cant be oc'd, plus I wouldn't want to try. They're too expensive to risk melting lol.

Good news about the higher PPD over bigs, i guess i'll stick with -bigadv

finishedbigadv.jpg

Banane09.gif
dancingbanana.gif
bowrofl.gif
runrofl3.gif

Yay! I finished my FIRST -bigadv WU after like TWO WEEKS of troubleshooting and trying to get my OC stable! I finished in less than 2.7 days too so that's 50k for me and hopefully an extra 25k PPD from now on! :D Lol. I'm glad I finally got a -bigadv turned in so I see a nice PPD spike, but I'm even happier that my OC is completely stable at 1.275v now and I didn't have to mess with any other voltages or timings.

Thanks a lot for all the help, guys!
yourock.gif

Where did you get you gadget for your vidoe card info?

Right here, sir!

You need to have Rivatuner installed and running on your PC for the gadget to work though. When you get it running, you need to open up the hardware monitor and click on the little red button at the very bottom-left of the window to "enable background monitoring".

I think I prefer it to having that big-ass (even after resizing it) hardware monitor in Rivatuner.

They're IBM HS21 blades so they cant be oc'd, plus I wouldn't want to try. They're too expensive to risk melting lol.
Totally agrred, I was wondering about the manufacturer. :cool:

Good news about the higher PPD over bigs, i guess i'll stick with -bigadv
What specific client config were you running before?

I was running the smp client with big WUs and -forceasm. Still doing that on my 4 core blades. they do arround 3000 PPD. My 8 core bigadv's are predicting 47 and 46 PPD :D

I was running the smp client with big WUs and -forceasm.
I don't believe there is a difference in standard SMP WUs regardless of the client config. Stanford seems to be releasing only A2 WUs lately and they're all pretty much the same unless you're folding -bigadv. I tried to switch to another SMP WU type a few months ago, but couldn't do it. I was receiving the same WUs no matter how I set up the client. Where the client config seems to make a difference is with the single-core classic client. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I just finished my first bigadv WU, I totally lol'ed when I looked at the graph. I don't think I got the bonus though, only 25k pts, thought I'd get more than that

whoa.jpg

Last edited:
Did you get the first 10 units completed with that pass?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Wow, I never used that site to look at my progress on a graph. I got my first -bigadv WU turned in a few days ago. That spike is pretty cool to look at, hah. I should have another one tomorrow :D.

Jeez. I feel like a small fish in a big ocean. haha

One day I'll grab another computer to fold with (phenom micro atx I'm thinkin).

I know that the first WU I completed under my passkey was a bigadv WU, and I got no bonus.

I then completed nine 1920 pointers.

Now I get bonus points for bigadv.

Crap. I lost a bigadv work unit when I accidentally hit the button on my UPS. There goes 12 hours :( (btw, do they not back up your most recent progress??? it started over from scratch on a new WU)

Crap. I lost a bigadv work unit when I accidentally hit the button on my UPS. There goes 12 hours :( (btw, do they not back up your most recent progress??? it started over from scratch on a new WU)
I have NOT had good luck with bigadv WUs surviving reboots, accidents, etc.

Lost one at around 75% when my 3 year old son flipped the switch on the PSU

Lost one at exactly 99% when my RAID 0 barfed a hard drive.

Lost one when I switched from independent GPU mode to SLI to play a game (wtf)

Honestly, considering all the progress I've lost, I would probably be better off giving up on the bonus points and crunching the SMP 1920 pointers. I haven't given up yet. I'm just being more careful. If this trend continues, I will be switching back.

Back