LGA1366 MB reccomendation

BucBrew

Weaksauce
Building a high end rig with a friend and are trying to decide on a few MBs. He is going to be using an ATI 5970 video card, so does this mean he should stay away from boards with the NF200? Hes basically between the P6T6 WS Revolution, the EVGA Classified (3x not 4x). Also getting strong consideration is the all black EVGA board that is only $225 on Newegg. Honestly he will probably only ever be using a single video card, but he likes the idea of being able to run both SLI and CrossFire. To the PhysX components of the high end MBs work with ATI video cards?

Cant go wrong with the Classified...it pretty much the best board I've owned.

Evga have one of the best if not the best Customer Support around.

Minor differences...probably not worth the price difference. I'd get the LE personally.

The only thing I could find for sure is the Classified has 2 NICs. Anyone else shed some light on this, it is a $200 difference.

The Classified has 300% more gold content in the CPU socket.

The pins bend real easy BTW....so be very careful when installing your CPU ;)

Last edited:
The Classified has 300% more gold content in the CPU socket.

The pins bend real easy BTW....so be very careful when installing your CPU ;)

VERY CAREFUL!! They bend very very very easily. Watch a youtube video of someone doing it properly. They cpu can only fit in one way, make sure you lay it in there evenly and gently!!!!

I'm going to be buying that le board this week as well. I can't stand my asus board.

I'm using an MSI Eclipse right now, and I couldn't ask for anything more out of a mobo. The think I like most about it is that the RAM slots are just a little further away from the CPU slot allowing for dual fans on my Megahalems. My personal opinion is that once you're paying that much for a mobo, all the features will be pretty similar, and you should begin looking at layout.

For my new rig, I'm taking the Asus P6X58D Premium. I like the clean layout without bells and whistles; they've dropped IDE and floppy connectors and the heatsinks are basic but effective. It's also one of the newest X58 boards, with USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gbps support. And as said on the Asus website, it's out of the box also ready for the 6-core Gulftown processors that wil be out in 2010.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614
http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news_details.php?id=19442
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=wurRaDZ8lo4Ckukj&templete=2

I think I read that the Classy has more bios options. I have the E758-A1 and think it was definitely worth the money.

[X]eltic;1034991052 said:
For my new rig, I'm taking the Asus P6X58D Premium. I like the clean layout without bells and whistles; they've dropped IDE and floppy connectors and the heatsinks are basic but effective. It's also one of the newest X58 boards, with USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gbps support. And as said on the Asus website, it's out of the box also ready for the 6-core Gulftown processors that wil be out in 2010.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614
http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news_details.php?id=19442
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=wurRaDZ8lo4Ckukj&templete=2

Thats a sweet board. Is this the only X58 board to have USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB caability? This also does not look like one of ASUS's premium offering (Rampage, or their RoG series). Maybe they will grace us with another new MB soon.

VERY CAREFUL!! They bend very very very easily. Watch a youtube video of someone doing it properly. They cpu can only fit in one way, make sure you lay it in there evenly and gently!!!!

I'm going to be buying that le board this week as well. I can't stand my asus board.

Which ASUS board? I love my P6T (not the Deluxe). It runs my 920 at 4.0ghz at 1.24 vcore with two 5850's in Crossfire no sweat. It runs toe-to-toe with my friends premium Gigabyte motherboard and mine costs about 70 dollars less.

Unless you do some serious overclocking or Tri-SLi, the Classified seems pointless with the setup the OP wants to run.

It doesn't seem to be addressed, or at least not to the extend it should be.

The difference between the classified and the "normal board" is the bios. The bios allows you to tweak settings that you can not normally tweak. These settings are for when you are doing DICE (Dry Ice), LN2 (Liquid Nitrogen), or beyond cooling. The settings are intended for you to achieve higher overclocks under those circiumstances. As a side effect, the classified will give you more overclocking headroom, however at above ambient tempetures, the difference between it and the LE will be minior.

There are various other minor changes (added gold in the CPU socket etc) to support the increased power consumed when making sub-ambient benchmark runs. If you aren't looking for incredible overclocking potential skip the classified. The normal EVGA is what you want.

I got the older revision of that Gigabyte board, it overclocks pretty well. You won't be disappointed.

Thats a sweet board. Is this the only X58 board to have USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB caability? This also does not look like one of ASUS's premium offering (Rampage, or their RoG series). Maybe they will grace us with another new MB soon.
I think the Gigabyte board that you linked and this Asus board are the only X58 boards currently on the market with USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gbps support. Personally, I like the Asus board better, but Gigabyte is a solid brand as well.

I found a video review of the Asus P6X58D Premium by the way. You can watch it here. And Newegg finally has some user reviews for this board, check them out here.

Besides the video review, and the Newegg user reviews, there is not much known about the board, but I'm confident enough to purchase it. Asus is a solid brand and the Asus P6X58D Premium is basically the 'P6T Deluxe v3'. It has almost the same layout as the P6T Deluxe, it simply adds new features (USB 3.0/SATA 6 Gbps/Gulftown Support/Stack Cool 3+).

I'm a big fan of the standard eVGA X58 triple SLI. Good design and excellent overclocking results. Can hit 4.0 without breaking a sweat, and when I was pushing it I've gotten it to 4.5, but the temps started to scare me at that point :D

Cant go wrong with the Classified...it pretty much the best board I've owned.

Evga have one of the best if not the best Customer Support around.

Check and Mate. Best customer service is right. Received a DOA board and they replaced it in 5 days flat. Pretty amazing.

Back