Modern Warfare 2 is Most Pirated Game of 2009

trick0502

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/pirated-modern-warfare-bittorrent-download,9325.html

"According to TorrentFreak, the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 has gathered 4.1 million BitTorrent downloads since its release on November 10 to December 27."

i thought iw.net was going to stop this? isn't this why the took out the dedicated servers, to stop piracy? that plan worked...

btw i'm not one of the 4.1 million people. i got it for $30 from bb.

No surprises there. The fact that here it's priced at $100 doesn't help much. I might consider downloading it, but I think it'll probably be a waste of bandwidth.

4.1 million that's a lot. The piracy figures just keep getting larger. It'll be interesting to see how piracy will be handled in the new decade.

i thought iw.net was going to stop this? isn't this why the took out the dedicated servers, to stop piracy? that plan worked...

That might have had the opposite effect...

If the MP was something that was made to seem useless to people with the removal of dedicated servers, then the only part of the game that would be valuable would be the SP portion. Pirated versions of games work just fine when you are playing by yourself and don't need to pass punkbuster or VAC to play.

Of course.. it could simply be that this game is pretty much the biggest thing to hit in years and everyone knows about it, even non-gamers.

glad this happened to the asshole devs.
never played, never never will. its a dumb shooting gallery, novelty wore off by the 2nd PC game.

I think the biggest problem is that the messed up the Multiplayer on PC bad, and pissed gamers off. Therefore as someone above me has said, its only worth it for the SP. As anyone who has beaten it knows(i have it on 360), it sure isnt work $60. Took me ~4 hours to be on hard. Combine that with the fact that the SP story is retarded and doesnt make any sense and well, you have 4.1 million pirated copies.

No matter what IW did with this game, it was going to top the piracy list. No game had more hype, positive or negative. IW's decisions regarding the handling of multiplayer on the PC just gave pirates a handy excuse.

glad this happened to the asshole devs.
never played, never never will. its a dumb shooting gallery, novelty wore off by the 2nd PC game.

Its actually quite fun. One of the best FPS multiplayer games to come along in a long while...

that said, it would have been much better to see dedicated servers being used alongside as another option to the IW match making stuff. It's hard to develop your own little community for your clan. If you create a "party" with more than 6 members so you can play together you are limited to only certain game modes. How in the fuck are we supposed to get all our clan members on to play together?

SP is soooooo boring. You're here one moment and somehow the story links up half way around the world. The only good parts thus far are the snowstage and of course when you are a terrorist. Boring otherwise.

maybe it was more pirated because hackers were able to play online...

Only problem with the game is that it sold legit copies which made those %#*%*@#@-heads $$. I wish it had ONLY been pirated and never sold anything. Not a real PC game without dedicated servers and team play. Bitter? Sure am. Tired of this crap. Make a game we can play with our friends and teammates please.

Well i guess there next release will probably be console only now, and piracy will be the reason.
I haven't played it and won't till the price comes down more, lol. I'm a cheap bastard :).

To be honest with you, I play it fairly often and I can say the multiplayer isnt that great. Im on X360(its highest selling platform) and it has glitches galore(private match glitch, care package glitch), unbalanced, terrible matchmaking. Every try getting into a game with a party of 6? Good luck.

Well i guess there next release will probably be console only now, and piracy will be the reason.

Good riddance. I've been playing on PS3 and it's not even that great of a game to care so much over.

Good riddance. I've been playing on PS3 and it's not even that great of a game to care so much over.
Actually it's not "good riddance", the COD series is a great one. Just like every game series out there, not everyone of them are great. While this one segment of the series might not be "that great of a game", the whole over all series was/is.

"Thank the pirates kids!
Thanks pirates" :D

Last edited:
Can't a console game be pirated too? Your friend could "borrow" it and then return the dvd when he/she is done.

I even remember seeing video games for checkout at the library. So that is no reason to stop making pc games.

I think us PC gamers don't really give 2 shits as they ruined it for us, and the console whores think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

"FLAME SUIT ON!"

What's even more surprising is that, despite the 4.1m downloads, it still managed to become the best-selling game of all time.

how exactly can u play a pirated version of this online? since you need a cd key for steam and all. are they just playing SP?

Its actually quite fun. One of the best FPS multiplayer games to come along in a long while...

that said, it would have been much better to see dedicated servers being used alongside as another option to the IW match making stuff. It's hard to develop your own little community for your clan. If you create a "party" with more than 6 members so you can play together you are limited to only certain game modes. How in the fuck are we supposed to get all our clan members on to play together?

I'm talking about SP and you refute my comment by talking about MP......
I dont care for the gimped MP, now that you mention it. So yes, back to what I said, same boring shooting gallery ever since the first game.

CoD is boring and stale, and has been that way for a few years now.

Does this surprise anyone?

- They caused a gigantic shit storm over servers / how consolified they made it
- Price for what is being offered

From Valve: pirates are under-served customers
Apparently they're on to something, because the way they handle shit seems to work pretty fkin well

No matter what IW did with this game, it was going to top the piracy list. No game had more hype, positive or negative. IW's decisions regarding the handling of multiplayer on the PC just gave pirates a handy excuse.

Keep thinking that.

I haven't played it and won't till the price comes down more, lol. I'm a cheap bastard :).

did you even read the article? the difference between xbox and pc downloads was only about 4 to 1, out of a total 5 million. only way they can escape this is to release on ps3 exclusively, for now.

And yet L4D2 which was equally as hyped is not even in this top 5 list of most downloaded games, and further has sold double the amount of L4D1 in the space of 2 weeks.

I wonder why....something to ponder.

This is very bad news indeed

That this many people believe it's alright to steal a PC game (you can insert the word pirate in place of steal if you want to - but it's the exact same thing) is only going to cause developers to think twice about developing for our preferred platform.

When are people going to learn that copying software damages the industry? This is my only hobby and I'm mad passionate about it, and it pisses me off to no end when I learn that people believe that software is free, or that something is owed to them.

And please don't tell me that the people who steal software wouldn't have bought the software in the first place and therefore aren't damaging the industry - because the fact is that yes they would have paid for the software if they hadn't have gotten it for free. That's just a lame excuse.

I'm sick and tired of hearing people coming up with excuse after excuse as to why they think it's okay to download software that isn't fee.

This is very bad news indeed

That this many people believe it's alright to steal a PC game (you can insert the word pirate in place of steal if you want to - but it's the exact same thing) is only going to cause developers to think twice about developing for our preferred platform.

When are people going to learn that copying software damages the industry? This is my only hobby and I'm mad passionate about it, and it pisses me off to no end when I learn that people believe that software is free, or that something is owed to them.

And please don't tell me that the people who steal software wouldn't have bought the software in the first place and therefore aren't damaging the industry - because the fact is that yes they would have paid for the software if they hadn't have gotten it for free. That's just a lame excuse.

I'm sick and tired of hearing people coming up with excuse after excuse as to why they think it's okay to download software that isn't fee.

All I can say is amen brother!

I will say that all those pirated versions wouldn't have been sales because some people just don't for stuff they can't get for free. Not saying that to defend these people just saying.

Still, to say the PC version of MW2 lost money or wasn't worth it to make for IW would be a mistake. They've easily sold a million PC copies buy now, and at $60 a pop, that's still enough coin to make it worth while.

What it does do however is cut out PC exclusives and PC features, which sucks.

Anyone who wants to slam IW for cutting out the PC features, well guess what guys, this is why. And for those who'll say "If IW hadn't cut out the PC features and raised the price people wouldn't have pirated it as much." Sure. Cause when you give a thief what they want they won't steal!

All I can say is amen brother!

I will say that all those pirated versions wouldn't have been sales because some people just don't for stuff they can't get for free. Not saying that to defend these people just saying.

Still, to say the PC version of MW2 lost money or wasn't worth it to make for IW would be a mistake. They've easily sold a million PC copies buy now, and at $60 a pop, that's still enough coin to make it worth while.

What it does do however is cut out PC exclusives and PC features, which sucks.

Anyone who wants to slam IW for cutting out the PC features, well guess what guys, this is why. And for those who'll say "If IW hadn't cut out the PC features and raised the price people wouldn't have pirated it as much." Sure. Cause when you give a thief what they want they won't steal!

in addition to the above: I have no desire to give them huge profits. If they've already broken some nominal figure it's time to drop their prices and show their customers respect. They're bleeding people dry and that isn't compelling their fans to support them.

This is an absolute rubbish bullshit circuitous argument! IW and Activision knew full well that there would piracy, irrespective of how much PR crap they circulated about how IW.net would prevent it, and yet they also used that as an excuse to serve up a bastardized rubbish port which was not was worth the digital media it was printed on. They knew it, we knew it, over 200,000 people who signed a petition knew it! And what they cut out did not save them money, IT ACTUALLY COST them time and money to develop and implement their garbage matchmaking system, it would have cost them next to nothing to retain something which you consider a "feature" given that MW2 is basically a reskinned MW1.

There will ALWAYS BE PIRACY, THERE HAS ALWAYS BEEN PIRACY, movies and music suffer rates of piracy many times over compared to video games, but yet they are STILL profitable endeavors. Using piracy as a scape goat to serve up half baked products is just pathetic. We all know the real reason for removal of features....DLC.

Keep thinking that.

Are you trying to say he's wrong? Remember last year, the spore DRM fiasco? That ended up being the most pirated game of 2008. This year IW fucks over PC gamers harder than ever and look what happens... most pirated game of 2009. Notice a trend?

Of course MW2 was destined to be one of if not the most pirated games of all time with all the hype around it, but guaranteed if they left the MP alone the numbers would be a lot lower.

did you even read the article? the difference between xbox and pc downloads was only about 4 to 1, out of a total 5 million. only way they can escape this is to release on ps3 exclusively, for now.
When you talking about a big number in the millions, 4 to 1 can be a pretty substantial number. We aren't talking about just a couple of thousands of downloads, if that where the case then yea it's a small number. But we are into the millions here.

I still stand by what i said about them only releasing console versions next time :D.

There is no excuse for piracy. If people plan to play a game, they should buy it. Just because the game does not include some feature does not mean it's ok to pirate it.

I figure their intensional gimping of the PC version left PC gamers with a real feel of betrayal and probably no concern about pirating. Had IW not intentionally slapped PC gamers across the face, Im sure it wouldnt be pirated half as much.

Back