New HP LED-backlit monitors announced.

The nice thing for me, is that it appears the 24" is only sRGB, not wide gamut. Maybe the message is getting through that many of us are sick of messed up wide gamut issues. I will have to keep an eye on this one.

The HP ZR24w looks promising. Only to see how much it will cost and how it will do in the input lag tests.

Backlight bleed should not be a problem with LED monitors, right? Or am I missing something.

How much are we thinking that 24" will be?

At $289 for the 22 inch, I expect $400 for the 24". Really quite good. Shame about the hideous styling though.

When you have more than one monitor it is nice if they all have the same colored bezels, this black and chrome nonsense means, the HPs won't match up with anything.

Where are you guys seeing the price for this? Is it in that article? If so, I must be blind as a bat...

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't see press release link at the bottom. :D

Hmmm, correct me if I'm wrong since I am skimming, but I only see LED backlit for the LA22f 22-inch and LE19f 19-inch, which do not state they are IPS. So, I assume TN.

I do see IPS for the ZR22w 21.5-inch and ZR24w 24-inch, but do not see mention of LED LCD for those units. I assume these models are "green" by virtue of the new power supply and materials and not LED backlit.

No holy grail yet...

Hmmm, correct me if I'm wrong since I am skimming, but I only see LED backlit for the LA22f 22-inch and LE19f 19-inch, which do not state they are IPS. So, I assume TN.

I do see IPS for the ZR22w 21.5-inch and ZR24w 24-inch, but do not see mention of LED LCD for those units. I assume these models are "green" by virtue of the new power supply and materials and not LED backlit.

No holy grail yet...

Yes, I was seeing this as well. I think the ZR22 has local dimming as well. They're claiming 2,000,000:1 Contrast ratio (that would only be possible if you could turn off the LED's locally right?)

the $400 number is a guess that I agree with.

Why's that? If you want a decent 24" IPS monitor today, you're not getting out for less than $550. I don't see how they won't charge nearly double that for the new LED backlight tech.

Rock&Roll said:
Why's that? If you want a decent 24" IPS monitor today, you're not getting out for less than $550. I don't see how they won't charge nearly double that for the new LED backlight tech.

There are a few of reasons why a low price would not surprise me:

The ZR24w is not LED backlit, not to mention white-LED should not be expensive.

According to their press release they are targeting the creative and CAD type segments with sRGB and intend to '...maintain prices near those of mainstream business monitors.'

They are buying a different LG panel than that of the U2410, which is potentially e-IPS (we are operating in a near-total vacuum of information here) because the only other monitor which is potentially cognate to the ZR24w is the LCD2490WUXi2, which was described as having an 'eH-IPS' panel by its NEC product manager.

LG already has made available a 23" IPS panel, and just recently a 21.5" model LM215WF2 that is in the AOC iF22 and probably this ZR22w. I don't expect LG believes that a 24" e-IPS is taboo and will cannibalise its LM240WU4 sales.

Yes, I was seeing this as well. I think the ZR22 has local dimming as well. They're claiming 2,000,000:1 Contrast ratio (that would only be possible if you could turn off the LED's locally right?)

I don't see how you can take a made-up number and extrapolate the reasons for it. If it had local dimming you'd probably be looking for sunglasses and earmuffs to silence the hype of it.

Yeah, I agree, it looks like the IPS panels don't have LED backlight, but that is pretty much a non issue to me. The nice thing is back to native sRGB, no ugly emulation modes and the bonus that it seems to actually be cheaper to build sRGB panels than wide gamut ones.

I don't see how you can take a made-up number and extrapolate the reasons for it. If it had local dimming you'd probably be looking for sunglasses and earmuffs to silence the hype of it.

I was more asking whether that number was possible without local dimming. Though your point is noted. I'm aware of the marketing behind exhuberant contrast ratio claims.

I was more asking whether that number was possible without local dimming. Though your point is noted. I'm aware of the marketing behind exhuberant contrast ratio claims.

It's called dynamic contrast. For dynamic contrast numbers, local dimming is completely irrelevant. So they can pretty much make up any number they want.

If they provide an ANSI contrast and it was still the same as the dynamic contrast number, then they would have local dimming.

But there are no local dimming PC monitors, and it is likely to stay that way. On a PC, the artifacts from local dimming would likely be too noticeable and annoying to justify the expense of a local dimming monitor.

It's called dynamic contrast. For dynamic contrast numbers, local dimming is completely irrelevant. So they can pretty much make up any number they want.

If they provide an ANSI contrast and it was still the same as the dynamic contrast number, then they would have local dimming.

But there are no local dimming PC monitors, and it is likely to stay that way. On a PC, the artifacts from local dimming would likely be too noticeable and annoying to justify the expense of a local dimming monitor.

Yes, the Dynamic Contrast is the marketing ploy that I'm aware of. The mention of artifacting is intriguiging though. I was not aware that was an issue in the tech. Thanks for the info on that. :)

Local Dimming artifacts.

Each zone a local dimming monitor is usually around 2000 pixels. So think about when you have have white text on a black background. You will have a pure black background, but your text fits in maybe a 12x12 pixel block, yet you will need to turn on a 45x45 pixel block around each character to see it (more if it isn't aligned) this will result in big halos around text, edges, everywhere.

These aren't so noticable on video viewing from across the room as it is a much more averaged signal, and it is in motion, but on a computer monitor display static, sharp, pixel precise edges everywhere from close up, it will be completely and annoyingly obvious.

Local dimming isn't coming to desktop LCD monitors.

Yea, I dont think we'll ever see local dimming on PC monitors unless each pixel is dimmed, but that would be something totally different anyhow...

What really heightens my suspicions I've had for the past year is how HP's press release mentions that they offer a TN panel with LED, but as soon as they upgrade to IPS its back to CCFL. It's like no one wants to go with the clearly winning combo of LED+IPS. I really wonder if Apple has LG locked into some kind of exclusivity agreement with LED IPS panels because it seems like every smart mfg would be quick to profit on such a combo (notwithstanding the debate as to whether LED is visually superior in this context).

Last edited:
(notwithstanding the debate as to whether LED is visually superior in this context).

My take on it is that, image quality assumed to be equal, that the LED backlight monitor will last longer. Less heat, less power draw. I would think that he driver boards for the LED backlighting system would be less prone to fail, since working with lighter current draw. Not to mention the life of the actual light emitting component. To me, all things point to solid state lighting outlasting the florescent.

My take on it is that, image quality assumed to be equal, that the LED backlight monitor will last longer. Less heat, less power draw. I would think that he driver boards for the LED backlighting system would be less prone to fail, since working with lighter current draw. Not to mention the life of the actual light emitting component. To me, all things point to solid state lighting outlasting the florescent.

Depends on design: Here are two LED screens:

http://anww.org/tag/led-backlight/

Note the difference in lifespan and compare to CCFL sets.

QFT. Look at the 24" Apple cinema display. HUGE markup. If the ZR24 has little to no overdrive artifacts and is priced decently under $500, sign me up! :D

24" 16:10, S-IPS, normal gamut. Price is the final question mark, but definitely an interesting product. Thanks for the heads-up!

Interesting. This might be a good alternative to the U2410 provided it's priced properly. I'm most interested in the anti-glare coating, though. I'm really not too fond of the one on my 2209wa...

Can anyone with the HP LP2475w comment on how the AG coating is on their display? I've never seen one in person.

Oh, the HP ZR24w looks nice. Could be my next screen.
It includes 1920x1200 24"
Still has 5ms gtg / 12ms (on/off). But I hope we won't notice it while playing games.
Brightness: 400 (cd/m2)
Contrast ratio 1000:1, 3000:1 (Dynamic)
DisplayPort , DVI-D, and VGA connectors; HDCP support on DisplayPort and DVI --> No hdmi here, some people might dislike that. I don't need it tbh.

Full product sheet here: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/product_pdfs/ZR24w_data_sheet_120409.pdf

The ZR24w have a S-IPS panel..
If i remember right H-IPS is better and newer than S-IPS?
I also remember that i read somewhere that basically all modern IPS panels is H-IPS and not S-IPS..
Also i saw a pic somewhere which showed a H-IPS monitor and a S-IPS monitor beside eachother and H-IPS looked way better.

According to the product sheet it's S-IPS..

The PDF says S-IPS with H2-IPS in brackets. People really make too much of this at this point. It is a modern IPS screen with 1000:1 contrast. Likely indistinguishable from any other LG IPS screen in the last two years.

But it almost certainly also has white glow, just like every other LG IPS, and unfortunately it probably also has LG's infamous strong AG coating.

Though I am happy to see it in the PDF without the chrome top/bottom bezel.

The PDF says H2-IPS technology for improved energy efficiency. Coupled with the 1000:1 contrast spec, i'm very sure it's LG's 24" E-IPS Panel (used also by the 2490Wuxi2).

Sorry to disappoint you - it's just my gut feeling when i combine all the data available at this point (wich works most of the time ;)).

And i'm glad there are more and more IPS options in the affordable sector. More choice is good. :)

Wonder if dell will use the 21.5" panel for a new monitor.I tend to prefer dell styling over HP.

So if the HP ZR24w is SRGB and not WG, should we suppose it is using the same panel as the NEC 2490wuxi2?

So if the HP ZR24w is SRGB and not WG, should we suppose it is using the same panel as the NEC 2490wuxi2?

Isn't this a new panel from LG? Possibly a 24" e-IPS? Guess we will have to wait till we get more info like a panel model #.

Damn i'm so excited about this monitor ^^
And i'm soooooooo glad it is sRGB and not any Wide Gamut BS.

Jeez can't they release this monitor already so we can see how good it is :p this waiting is killing me.

Back