Sharp 47" 1080P 120HZ $699.99 FS

Great TV. I got this same TV from Dell for $400 off plus 20% Bing cashback. Came out to $640.
One important note is that it does not pass through HDMI audio.

Hot Deal

3% Bing cashback knocks another $21 off, bringing the price down to $679.

- To get 3% cashback go to Bing.com and type "Dell" into the searchbar and click enter.

- look for and click the Dell/Bing banner ad, you may have to refresh the page a few times. It won't say 3% on the banner but when you click it the pop-up will say 3%.

Edit: Looks like the 42" deal is dead

They also have a 42" Sharp for $539.

3% Bing cashback drops that price to $523

Last edited:
Great TV. I got this same TV from Dell for $400 off plus 20% Bing cashback. Came out to $640.
One important note is that it does not pass through HDMI audio.

What do you mean? you can't get audio through the HDMI port? Meaning you wont get audio if you hook a 360 or PS3 to it over HDMI?

that seems like a pretty big feature to leave out of a hdtv

What do you mean? you can't get audio through the HDMI port? Meaning you wont get audio if you hook a 360 or PS3 to it over HDMI?

that seems like a pretty big feature to leave out of a hdtv
By "pass through" he means when you try re-routing the sound from one of the Sharp's spdif audio outputs to a surround receiver. The TV's speakers will pick up the hdmi sound just fine though.

Info: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1214606

This is not an issue for those who plan on using the TV's speakers, or those who have hdmi audio processing on their surround receivers.

It would be a problem for those who plan on using older or more feature-limited receivers that don't have hdmi audio processing. Edit: a fully functional workaround is possible by running an spdif cable directly from the video source (cable box etc) to the surround receiver

Last edited:
By "pass through" he means when you try re-routing the sound from one of the Sharp's spdif audio outputs to a surround receiver. The TV's speakers will pick up the hdmi sound just fine though.

Info: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1214606

This is not an issue for those who plan on using the TV's speakers, or those who have hdmi audio processing on their surround receivers. It would be a problem for those who plan on using older or more feature-limited receivers that don't have hdmi audio processing.

Correct.

I got the TV with the SB300 soundbar. I plug my cable box, and PS3 in HDMI, and then ran an optical from the TV to the soundbar expecting to be able to get sound on the sound bar dependant on the currently selected TV input.
Nope. It doesn't do it.
Had to run digital audio output from the cable box and optical from the ps3 directly to the soundbar, and then hdmi to the tv for the picture.

Had to run digital audio output from the cable box and optical from the ps3 directly to the soundbar, and then hdmi to the tv for the picture.
glad you pointed that last part out, a workaround is possible. Just run an optical cable directly from the video source (cable box, ps3 etc etc) to the surround receiver and it would work fine. I've personally always preferred to do it this way anyway.

glad you pointed that last part out, a workaround is possible. Just run an optical cable directly from the video source (cable box, ps3 etc etc) to the surround receiver and it would work fine. I've personally always preferred to do it this way anyway.

It makes you have to deal with the inputs on your receiver... Remote control clutter... ARRRGHHH... ;)

can't decide between the 42" and the 47" ...

decisions...

120hz vs cheaper, lol

I can help, if you get 42 you will regret 6 months from now when you wish you had spent another 150 bucks, I think it is definitely worth the money. GO get it now.

They also have a 42" Sharp for $539.

3% Bing cashback drops that price to $523

I assume since it doesn't mention 120 Hz in the description that it's only 60 Hz.

While I'm not TV shopping, a couple of my friends are, so I'll pass 1 of them these deals. (The other friend insists on Samsung or Sony.)

I can help, if you get 42 you will regret 6 months from now when you wish you had spent another 150 bucks, I think it is definitely worth the money. GO get it now.

I'll regret it because I'm missing out on 5" or the 120hz? ...if I'm not gaming on it, what would be missed? ...since nothing broadcasts at that speed, is there even anything apart from games that could use that high of a refresh rate ("smoother motion" aside, since a couple reviews of the 47" claim that there is ghosting during fast-motion scenes... something that I would think is attributed to the double/triple playing of input frames)?

Although I didn't buy one, I was very impressed with the picture on Sharp TVs, even though in my initial search I hadn't even considered them.

I'll regret it because I'm missing out on 5" or the 120hz? ...if I'm not gaming on it, what would be missed? ...since nothing broadcasts at that speed, is there even anything apart from games that could use that high of a refresh rate ("smoother motion" aside, since a couple reviews of the 47" claim that there is ghosting during fast-motion scenes... something that I would think is attributed to the double/triple playing of input frames)?

I was just being sarcastic, but yea if it was me for 100-150 bucks I would jump on 120hz and 5" because it is not like you are gonna buy tv everyday. 5" might not sound alot, and it depends on where you are gonna put it, for bedroom I won't go adove 42, but for living room I wound't go below 47.

One reviewer states that turning off the smooth motion "feature" results in some unsavory image quality. Can anyone report their feelings on this? I don't watch sports and I feel the smooth motion stuff ruins a lot of movies, so I plan to just turn it off.

The general consensus is that most hdtv purchasers regret not buying a larger TV within 6 months of their purchase. The 120hz feature on TV's is not for gaming by the way, it's to smooth motion in movies, but it can always be disabled if you don't like the way it looks.

Personally my decision would be based upon seating distance. Will you be sitting ~ 8 or 9ft or further? If so then i would highly consider a larger size.

Edit: 42" deal is dead

The 120hz feature on TV's is not for gaming by the way, it's to smooth motion in movies, but it can always be disabled if you don't like the way it looks.

Careful with that statement. It is very misleading and nearly completely untrue for the average person. The 120 Hz rarely "smooths" anything....in fact, if you have a BD player with a 24 FPS video, it has a good chance of it making it look "bad" during certain scenes. The "old" 3:2 pulldown was actually a blessing in disguise for bad film makers.

It will take a couple of years before

a) films are actually shot in 60 FPS natively

b) all modern TV's will have good interpolation algorithms to deal with 24 FPS films and panning scenes.

Careful with that statement. It is very misleading and nearly completely untrue for the average person. The 120 Hz rarely "smooths" anything....in fact, if you have a BD player with a 24 FPS video, it has a good chance of it making it look "bad" during certain scenes. The "old" 3:2 pulldown was actually a blessing in disguise for bad film makers.

It will take a couple of years before

a) films are actually shot in 60 FPS natively

b) all modern TV's will have good interpolation algorithms to deal with 24 FPS films and panning scenes.

I keep the enhanced 120Hz motion thing turned on low on this TV. It offers, off, low, med, and high. Changing this option does not change the frequency that the TV is updating, it only changes the strength of the algorithm.

Setting it to anything other than low makes large pans look smooth, but lurchy. Setting it to high made gun flares look interleaved and messed up.

The TV is GREAT for PS3.

in for the 42" (before deal went dead last night)... re-measured my TV cabinet (my wife likes the armoire instead of just having a stand), and found that it was exactly 40" wide... the 47" was 40.1" wide... glad that I double-checked before ordering... HA!

If 120 Hz is too smooth and makes it look unnatural, then what about 240 Hz that many high end LCD TVs are introducing? :confused:

in for the 42" (before deal went dead last night)... re-measured my TV cabinet (my wife likes the armoire instead of just having a stand), and found that it was exactly 40" wide... the 47" was 40.1" wide... glad that I double-checked before ordering... HA!
Some king of england (Edward V11 ?) once said that harbors exist for the ships, and not the other way around. So if the proposed ships were too big, then you would just have to expand/deepen the harbor.

I say the same thing about TV's, if the only thing stopping you from owning a bigger screen is a darn cabinet, then get rid of the cabinet !!!!!!! And get rid of it when the wife isn't home !!!! The cabinet exists for the TV, not the other way around. :p

Not everyone is the same, but i know that's what i would do. Wifie is in charge of most every furnishing in the house except electronics, that's where i'm in charge ;)

The armoire could very well be worth multiples of this TV if it's a nice one - a real piece of furniture and not made of veneered MDF.

The armoire could very well be worth multiples of this TV if it's a nice one - a real piece of furniture and not made of veneered MDF.
You're still buying the armoire to hold a TV.

The day you buy an armoire for a TV is the day you kiss your future 50"+ inch TV's goodbye ;)

Word of warning to all the husbands-to-be out there, DO NOT buy TV armoires!

Edit: i'm thinking in terms of living rooms/family rooms, and not so much bedrooms btw.

He already owns the armoire.

Maybe it is just a cheapish 'entertainment center/TV cabinet' but it could also be an expensive and classy piece of furniture. But I guess class and timelessness has little pull with the drooling masses and their soon-to-be-outdated anyway CE devices.

He already owns the armoire.
Ya, i had realized that, you could ignore my mini rant. As i said, everyone's different, and my ideas aren't going to be the right fit for everyone.

Talk about class and timelessness, i know exactly what you are talking about. The company i work for has relations with Stickley furniture. I took a tour of their factory and boy was i floored with the craftsmanship, and the prices for that matter (collectibles + family heirlooms + craftsmanship + history = $$$).

Sorry, for veering a million miles off topic, that's it, i'm done for now, i promise!

Sorry, I was going to come back and edit the trolly-ness out of my post. When I hear armoire I think of really nice furniture like what you linked rather than inexpensive 'TV/entertainment centers' but who knows what he has and it's his deal anyway. Plus we all know the wifey gets say, like it or not, even if it's not fancy ;) But yes, enough! Not that there's much to this thread.

I lived in both Winston-Salem and Greensboro for a time, nothing to do with the furniture industry directly but I dealt with many of the furniture companies and factories that are (or used to be :() in that area. (High Point, Thomasville, Archdale, etc.)

Yeah... what the wife wants, the wife gets... apart from electronics (she doesn't interfere usually)

The armoire (I used that term because it implies expensive and not quite throw-out-able, unlike "tv cabinet") is here to stay... and is worth nearly 5 of the tv that I just bought... finding a tv that fit inside it continues to give me leverage when I want to buy a new SSD or Graphics card... I can always come back to: "my entire last 3 systems together still don't cost as much as our family room furnitue" ...buys me an upgrade here and there :D

stupid inlaid wood doors... stupid 530lbs of tv-size constraining wood...

lol

sorry for unintentionally derailing this thread... I'm looking forward to my 42" tv... should be here on Thursday!

If 120 Hz is too smooth and makes it look unnatural, then what about 240 Hz that many high end LCD TVs are introducing? :confused:

its just something your eyes adjust to. if i go to my moms and watch her 120hz vizio, i totally notice the difference. it is a bit weird at first, but it doesnt take long for it to look right. when i come back to my 60hz tv i can actually see the choppiness in the panning, but again you get used to it real fast and its just a non-issue either way imo.

its just something your eyes adjust to. if i go to my moms and watch her 120hz vizio, i totally notice the difference. it is a bit weird at first, but it doesnt take long for it to look right. when i come back to my 60hz tv i can actually see the choppiness in the panning, but again you get used to it real fast and its just a non-issue either way imo.
I see. So if your eyes adjust either way and give you the same experience, then does 120 Hz or 240 Hz really have an advantage over 240 Hz? I realize there are certain applications that are more appropriate for 1 or another. For example, a friend who is TV shopping said he noticed that scrolling stock tickers @ 240 Hz was smoother than on 120 Hz when he checked out TVs.

right, its added frames but the effect is very realistic. 120hz tv's ARE better, if i could choose without a cost difference, i would go 120hz. but even though i can stare at any tv and know if its 60hz or 120hz, it just doesnt matter much either way- the extra cost simply isnt worth it. i have no idea how much better or worse 240hz is, because honestly 120hz looks so smooth i cant imagine it getting much better.... but again, 60hz is plenty good enough to be normal looking. 120hz can make panning seem realistic, but it doesnt change anything else so overall it simply isnt much of a difference.

This TV's algorithm does not generate identical frames when set to anything but Off. It samples a frame ahead and behind, then generates an approximate 'middle' frame.

Turning the strength of the algorithm from High to Off does not decrease the number of these frames generated.

Like I said, I run the algorithm at the 'low' setting, and it provides what I feel is the right combination of smoothness and realism.

Setting it to Low also fixes the issues with gun flares and people who talk really fast.

Get the 47.... A 42 looks and feels really small in comparison.

I sit about 8 feet from my 47, and when i'm a someone's place with a 42 sitting the same distance away, its quite noticeable.

I imagine i'm going to have to find some money if I ever go to 10 feet away so I can buy a 55".

LED.... ;)

Get the 47.... A 42 looks and feels really small in comparison.

I sit about 8 feet from my 47, and when i'm a someone's place with a 42 sitting the same distance away, its quite noticeable.

I imagine i'm going to have to find some money if I ever go to 10 feet away so I can buy a 55".

LED.... ;)
Yes, at 10', you'll want 55"+.

I have a 57" HDTV and I watch it from 9' away. It rocks and I feel a bit spoiled. :cool:

I thought about getting this tv, but I can't stand looking at my dad's 120hz and seeing the "soap opera" effect so I bought a 50"plasma instead. I am immensely impressed with my tv.

So whats the deal with this tv? Is it a good tv?

Also is it 60hz or 120hz, no one has given a definite answer.

Back