IT Certification Primer

BobSutan

[H]F Junkie
This thread was created as a Primer on IT certifications. If you can't find an answer to your quetion here, feel free to post in the main networking forum.

I think some of the Microsoft certs and some of the Cisco certs would be good, like the CCNA, CCIE, stuff like that.

The big ones I'd like to see covered are

MCP
MCSA
MCSE
CCNA
CCIE
A+
Network+
Security+
CISSP

Any others that are popular that I missed?

In order of popularity (my own opinion of course)
CCNP
CCSP
CCDA
CCDP

Of course, you're going to have to cover all the different types of CCIE's, and mention that unlike it used to be, you dont have to have your CCNP/DP to get the CCIE anymore.

if anyone wants to take the MCSE tests i would suggest the red ExamCram books, they are very good and formatted like the tests...

also the best practise tests imo are the transenders

and a suggestion if you are going to take the CCNA and take a class with access to the cisco.netacad.net stuff dont bother buying the book unless they give it to you, the cisco books are worthless since the tests are based on the online stuff anyway

Certification is such a big subject, The subjects bob listed are the main ones and boscoh listed some good cisco certs and if it is in the same format as the networking faq (but not locked) then it will be very useful.

Things to cover: -

◙ Progression routes

◙ Good Books to read

◙ What equipment is needed to make a small test lab + exercises to do.

◙ SUBNETTING lol

◙ boards to post questions on different subjects

◙ Good info websites

Thats pretty much all i can thing of.

When I was taking MCSE 2000 I found out pretty fast that simply reading the recommended books wasn't enough. The books don't cover everything you need to know to pass the exams. If you want to be really prepaired you should read the books suggested by Microsoft, read as much as you find on the subject on Technet, and do the practice tests untill you get >95% correct everytime. ...and do ALL the excericses covered in the books. I took MCP Expert and MCSE on my own using the selfpaced study books suggested by Microsoft.

Microsoft Certifications Overview
MCSE 2003 Requirements
MCSE 2000 Requirements
SelfTest Software In my experience the best resource for practice tests for MCSE (though definetly not the cheapest)

VUE and Prometric are the major proctoring houses. Check out their websites for exam details and dates.

GIAC Global Information Assurance Certification
Security Certification Program in conjunction with the SANS Institute

SANS is the most trusted and by far the largest source for information security training and certification in the world. It also develops, maintains, and makes available at no cost, the largest collection of research documents about various aspects of information security, and it operates the Internet's early warning system - Internet Storm Center. The SANS (SysAdmin, Audit, Network, Security) Institute was established in 1989 as a cooperative research and education organization. Its programs now reach more than 165,000 security professionals, auditors, system administrators, network administrators, chief information security officers, and CIOs who share the lessons they are learning and jointly find solutions to the challenges they face. At the heart of SANS are the many security practitioners in government agencies, corporations, and universities around the world who invest hundreds of hours each year in research and teaching to help the entire information security community.

Many SANS resources, such as the weekly vulnerability digest (@RISK), the weekly news digest (NewsBites), the Internet's early warning system (Internet Storm Center), flash security alerts and more than 1,200 award-winning, original research papers are free to all who ask.

you also add less known certs like novell (cna, cne) and nortel. it's not as popular as it used to be, but novell networks are still around.

In addition to the CISSP, you might also want to add the SSCP. It's kind of the "lite" version of the CISSP. Not as many questions or knowledge areas covered, and the experience requirements are a little less. I'm thinking about taking it this summer, I still need about another year and a half to meet the CISSP req's.

ISC2 has some other certs out now besides CISSP and SSCP, they're ones that are more geared towards federal information security. Might want to add those too.

someone beat me to it :)
Ice Czar said:
GIAC Global Information Assurance Certification
Security Certification Program in conjunction with the SANS Institute

i think the most asked questions when people are considering certs are:
1) what books should i use?
2) which practice exams are the best?
3) how long can i reasonably expect the process to take (from buying the book to passing the test)?
4) will i need any equipment and if so, what is best?

i also think that there are general questions that come up a lot- as someone mentioned- progression. often times it is difficult to tell how you would progress through a certification process. it can also be difficult to tell which cert is right for you. like do i want to get a CCDA or CCNA? what are the differences? can you get your CCNA and then CCDP?

***************************WARNING: VERBOSE POSTING AHEAD*********************************

Just my 0.02:

Maybe we should set a baseline as to what certifications are beneficial to what job titles and functions, as well as what certifications are actually in demand?

Since a lot of the fallout with the recession, many people are taking the time to re-educate, but as I have seen, especially from the consulting I have done, a lot of larger companies have been burned by certs and are looking more towards individuals with college degrees and certs as opposed to just certs. Of course, some of the time, experience can be substituted, but not often. I figure I'd be just as good to advise the future of our industry to also realize that where college was once an option to increase earning potential on top of industry recognized certifications, the time is rapidly approaching where one will need both.

I would say, each certification is dependent on what you want to be doing...not everyone wants to do level one support forever.

Desktop Support (Level 1, maybe Level 2 in a S-M company, AKA the BASELINE)

A+ (6-8 Months hardware and software competency)
Network+ (6-12 months of experience in basic networking and basic network troubleshooting)
MOS (Not all of us are born MSOffice Gurus)
Any MCP Exam (Generally, the client side of the latest MS OS is good)
At least working towards an AAS in Information Systems, Networking, or Computer Science.

Anything beyond this point, I'd suggest adding a nice BS or MIS to your resume if you can.

Level 2 Support (Includes all above):

CCNA (Good for understanding how corporate networks are designed, plus vendor specific platform knowledge some of which will also work on other vendors eq.)

CCNP* (Be an overachiever..get it done now.)

Nortel Cert (Uh, Nortel, Bay, Cabletron, Juniper, Adtran? I thought Cisco ran the internet?)
http://app97.nortelnetworks.com/cgi-bin/teds/cs/maintc.jsp?level=0&category=12&subcategory=

Juniper Networks JNCIA (Juniper Networks' Certified Internet Associate) is good to start for those who want to work with Juniper Hardware. (http://www.juniper.net/training/certification/)

MCSA (Sigh, a "necessary evil.")

Server+ or Linux+ (Depending on whether you're Server Management or dealing with Linux systems on the back end or the client side, still nice to have.)

RHCT (In lieu of Linux+ if you want to work on Red Hat Linux, probably helpful on other variants of Linux, as far as theory.)

Design Professional: (I don't know how popular network design is anymore, but with 10Gbe, some companies might need guys who know how to setup vertical cabling with fiber into their already strategically planned out and effortlessly scalable network)

A+
Network+
Server+
IT Project+
CCNA / JNCIA
CCDA
CCDP* (Depending on if you're setting up some medium sized or better networks)
CCIE* (Enterprise level big-boys....it's that there are so few that this cert is worth it.)

Systems Admin (Again, all of the General Baseline plus these):

Any or All of these Certs are helpful, but you don't want to overload yourself, because then you'll be a THREAT if you know more than your "boss".

MCSE (You already have an MCSA, why not waste some more money? It's practically an industry standard, and everyone has one...not to shoot down the MCSEs who know their stuff, there are just more that don't than you guys. Sowwy!)
CNA (A must for administrating Novell.)
CCNP / JNCIP (If you're THE guy, be THE guy.)
LPI 1 & 2 (Linux Professional Institution, teaches non-vendor related Linux, I.E. won't learn ins and outs of Slackware, but how Linux works, kernels, SAMBA, etc.)
RHCE (Red Hat Certified Engineer, the MCSE for Red Hat guys.)
Sun Solaris Admin (Anyone care to comment on whether Sun will be around much longer?)
CCIE / JNCIE

Web Development:

A+ (Just to say you know your [h]ardware...)
I-Net+ (It's not necessary but nice to have)
CIW (Don't know much about it, but you'd be a Certified Internet Webmaster, supposedly covers HTML, DHTML, XML, JavaScript, Perl, ASP, PHP, Flash, FrontPage, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, and E-Comm setup.... What, no PhotoChop? or Quark for MAC fiends)

Programming:
Eh...pick a language, use the source...

D-Base:
MCDBA (Gotta have a Microsoft Cert...)
Oracle DBA or DEV (Do you want to administrate or develop?)

Security Pro:
If you're into this, you're too 1337 for certs... j/k ;-D

Security+
CCSA (Checkpoint)
CCSE* (Checkpoint Expert?)
CCSE+*(Top Level Checkpoint)
CCSP (Cisco's Security Cert, Pretty new, really dig into PIX firewalls.)

Trainer:
CTT+ (Train the CompTia way)
MCT (Better yet, be a Microsoft Certified Trainer!)
CCAI (Cisco Certified Academy Instructor. Behold the pain that is teaching n00bs how to use global config mode.)

The new Stuff:

CWNA (Certified Wireless Network Admin)- The wave of the future. I don't know much about this one, but you figure, it might be worth it.

CWSP (Certified Wireless Security Professional) Same as above, and would be part of the Security d00d's cert list.

Thumb: CompTia Exams are good for life. Take it once. It's over. You're certified.
The M$ certs only require a recertification if you want to be an MC_ _ for the next version of their platform. If you were an NT4 MCSE, you're still an NT4 MCSE until you take the tests to become a 2000 MCSE.
The Cisco Exams are good (CCNA CCDA CCNP CCDP) for 3 years. The CCNA 3.0 exam is 2 tests splitting the Academy Curricula into 2 parts, or one full exam. CCDA does not require the CCNA, but CCNA level knowledge. The CCDP requires both CCNA and CCDA. The CCNP is 4 exams is also good for 3 years. To recertify, CCNA candidates need to take their CCNA again or ONE CCNP test. CCNP are required to take the Composite exam or the BSCI and BSCMSN exams. CCIE is good for 2 years, involves a written exam and a hands on exam, and to recertify you can take any of the CCIE written exams. There's also CCIP, which I don't know anything about. Check here for more info. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/learning/le3/le2/le37/le8/learning_certification_type_home.html

Cheers gentlemen! Sorry for the long-winded post!!! I'm sure someone'll ream me in PMs for it!

-DVA

My $.02

I work as a network admin on the east coast. All this company (and most of our clients {which are: FBI, CIA, DIA, NRO, Homeland security}) care about is a bachelor's degree, and a MCSE or CCIE.

I am currently being pushed to get my MCSE, or else I will get a bad review, and not a big raise.

Over here on the east coast there are two things that matter, certifications, and a top secret security clearance. You have either one of those, and you are good to go. The TS clearance is VERY valuable, lots of money, great job security.

I think the MCSE test's are bullshit. The questions are ridiculous. My negative attitude means that I will go ahead and "cheat" and use mcsebraindumps.com to memorize the exact questions and answers on the tests. Simple to pass the mcse doing it that way. Just mho.

MSCE
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/default.asp

the windows 2000 MCSE requirements are here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/requirements.asp

the windows 2003 MCSE requirements are here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/

your specialization is largely a personal choice, but for someone trying to work their way up out of a helpdesk role into a network admin role i would recommend taking the exchange exams. i did the database exams because that is what i would rather do, but point of fact is this- everyone uses email; not everyone uses databases (least not SQL server). if you are currently a DB developer or a web developer with some DB experience then the MCDBA track might be best for you as you have the experience to possibly land a DBA job. for network admins the exchange exams will almost without fail prove more useful. another good option is to get the security specialization

secondly, bash the MSCE exams all you want because you can go to braindump and pass the exams through rote memorization. you will possibly get a job, fail because you actually know nothing about windows, networks, or administration, people will laugh at you and you'll get fired. OR you can spend a lot of time actually studying as you would any other subject in school, and you will learn a great deal about really administering a windows network.

to that end, i recommend putting together a lab at home using some old computers and either the trial versions of software, some you got off ebay for cheap, or some they loaned you from work. get your hands in there and spend a good solid year working through the exams and administering the lab network you built. you will have a lot of skills then.

i used the microsoft press self-paced study guides. they are not perfect, but they are very good. there are lots of labs so you will learn how to do things, not simply how to answer questions.

transcenders are your friend. they will prepare you for the exams.

tests were $125 a shot when i took them a year+ ago. you can register at http://www.prometric.com

you are certified for a specific version of windows software. when windows 2005 comes out you will need to upgrade your cert or get recertified.

GIAC GSEC, GCFW, etc.
GIAC is an organization associated with the SANS institute. SANS provides training in the network security field and it is supposed to be some of the best. i will find out whether that's truth or hype come the end of july, but that's another matter.

GIAC is the organization that certifies various levels of security experts for SANS, and they offer many different certification options. the full list is available on this page: http://www.giac.org/certifications.php

for these certs, taking SANS institue trainings would be recommended i think. the trainings and certifications are directly related. for GSEC there is a corresponding weeklong bootcamp. for GCFW there is another training.

certification involves doing a "practical" and taking 1 or more technical exams online. the practical is a paper on a technical topic, and you are given a general subject area on which to write. the practicals may end up in the SANS reading room from what i understand, and can serve as reference for others. these certs may be renewed every 2 years with a "refresher" exam or they expire.

the guy i replaced at my current job got both the GSEC and GCFW and moved on to cybercell threat analysis with the dept. of state so these certs must be somewhat well regarded. i would not recommend these for the beginner. it's not that the content is too difficult, but these are specific. if you are just starting out in the IT field and trying to get started you prolly aren't sure what you want to specialize in yet. however, if you have been working as a network administrator, network associate or cisco admin or something and you KNOW that security is where it's at for you then you would be wise to at least consider these exams.

on the other hand there is the CISSP. but i have read that that is (similar in design) but not as technical. so it would be geared towards the CIO or something as opposed to the guy who is building honeypots and configuring the firewall ruleset.

bleh, that's all i've got for now.

ccna
ccnp
mcse
adobe
A+
C+
C++
API
etc.

Info on locations of the tests, prices, what books are the best references for taking the test, what sites are best for it. What courses and locations of the courses that you can take.

ccna Cost: $125 or 62.50 if you pass a voucher exam after taking an academy course
ccnp $125 per exam (Total: $500, 4 Exams)
mcse $125 per exam (Total: $875, 7 Exams. 4 Exams taken would be an MCSA, so you can space these out. Passing one exam gets you an MCP card.)
adobe (Not sure.)
A+ (Cost is $145 per exam, vouchers after passing a class can halve this. Total: $290)
C+ (Dunno)
C++ (This either)
API (?)
etc.

Info on locations of the tests, prices, what books are the best references for taking the test, what sites are best for it. What courses and locations of the courses that you can take.

www.pearsonvue.com or www.prometric.com are the two sites used to locate centers, and schedule exams. As far as courses and locations, it depends on where you're located. Generally most community and state colleges offer some sort of workforce development certificate programs that do A+, N+, CCNA, and some do MCSA/E. I would say look for local places, tour them, and sit with the account representatives. Feel it out and see if you're comfortable paying them to train you. It helps if you have friends who have taken a particular course and can go with a recommended facility. Worse to worse, you could buy a few books (The for dummies books are good to get the gist of the concepts, then graduate to an exam cram, sybex, or the microsoft press / cisco press books, and build a lab and DIY.)

-DVA

DVAmon said:
ccna Cost: $125 or 62.50 if you pass a voucher exam after taking an academy course
ccnp $125 per exam (Total: $500, 4 Exams)
mcse $125 per exam (Total: $875, 7 Exams. 4 Exams taken would be an MCSA, so you can space these out. Passing one exam gets you an MCP card.)
adobe (Not sure.)
A+ (Cost is $145 per exam, vouchers after passing a class can halve this. Total: $290)
C+ (Dunno)
C++ (This either)
API (?)
etc.

www.pearsonvue.com or www.prometric.com are the two sites used to locate centers, and schedule exams. As far as courses and locations, it depends on where you're located. Generally most community and state colleges offer some sort of workforce development certificate programs that do A+, N+, CCNA, and some do MCSA/E. I would say look for local places, tour them, and sit with the account representatives. Feel it out and see if you're comfortable paying them to train you. It helps if you have friends who have taken a particular course and can go with a recommended facility. Worse to worse, you could buy a few books (The for dummies books are good to get the gist of the concepts, then graduate to an exam cram, sybex, or the microsoft press / cisco press books, and build a lab and DIY.)

-DVA

hey thanks. I'm not sure what api is either but a company up in Upper Michigan is looking for people with experience in it so I thought i'd look around for it and give it a try?? beats me what it is though.

I'm takeing a CCNA course in my highschool right now. The only testing facility that my cisco teacher knows of in michigan is down state somewhere. I'll have to confirm the exact location with him next year when i take ccna: 3 & 4.

I already built a lab in my room, and will be helping my cisco teacher rebuild the cisco lab at my highschool sometime this summer. I also run a linux gameing server in the cisco lab. Have built a linux redhat 9.0 router box for my home lab, and am currently building a p3 base celeron 1.3 ghz machine that I'll be installing winxp and redhat 9.0 on for a dual boot and use it for light gameing and a programming box.

I'm going to be getting the sybex books for CCNP and then i'll look for a location of that test and take the exams as I get the money.

There is a company that have courses in A+, and MCSE a town over that i'll mostlikely go through. But once I go to college at Michigan Tech. Unitversity I'll ask some of my professors about certs.

Thanks for all the information.

I'm learning perl right now, and once i'm confident with that i'll start learning cgi, then I'll get some reference books as I go.

-brant

Specialty certs can be fun...

HP/Compaq ASE (accredited system engineer)
HP/Compaq AIS (accredited integration specialist)
these automatically make you very desireable to HP resellers and integrators... although I think you are still required to have the MCSE and CNE to qualify? Whats cool is you get a direct line to HP for an ASE only support channel.

Citrix is an interesting one to have:
CCA - Citrix certified administrator
CCIA - Citrix certified integration architect
Many companies are using thin clients due to adminstrative "costs" and for security concerns. You could probably build your whole career or business doing just thin client citrix consulting?

just more junk for the pile :)

I have a question, which certs come from the Cisco networking 1&2 and 3&4 classes?

Security Professional Certs:

Heya, think I'll add what I can to this thread. I'm still a college student, so i'm just starting out so to speak. If there are any corrections PM me and I'll take care of them.

CompTIA Security+ - This is an "entry level" certification compared to some of the others, but still should not be taken lightly. CompTIA suggests that you have 2 years of professional networking experience, the A+ and Network+ certs, before attempting, but they are not required. The test is 100 multiple choice questions to be completed in 90 minutes. Most questions are "short" multiple choice, that is to say each question doesn't require you to read a page or two about a hypothetical situation. Once you're certified, you're certed for good and don't have any dues to keep up as far as I know. The tests are given very often by the prometric and vue testing centers, which are linked to on CompTIA's page. For a study guide I suggest the book and DVD by Syngress, which claims to have complete and in depth coverage of every subject on the exam. Its worth mentioning its about 2-3 times as thick as other study guides. :D

More information can be found at www.comptia.com

ISC2 SSCP- Presented by ISC2, the same people who created the now industry leading CISSP cert, SSCP is the "junior" to CISSP. It covers items from the same body of knowledge as CISSP, but in less detail. Exam takers are required to have at least 1 year in a security field, but I'm told (by calling ISC2 in march) they are NOT audited like CISSPs are. Take that as ye will :D Anyway, the SSCP exam is comprised of some short multiple choice, but also some "long" style "read a page then choose C" questions. Unlike Security+, SSCP exams are given relatively rarely in any given city. SSCP is relatively new, so there are not too many study guides available, but Syngress, the same people who put out a number of great security-themed books, make the best one I've found. Also, I suggest the ISC2's CISSP offfical study guide as a reference.

Head to www.isc2.org for more info...

UPDATE: I am schedualed to take the Security+ exam in the 2nd week of august. Unfortunately, I couldn't get into a SSCP exam because it occurs at GOVSEC and all the hotels are full. I'm thinking I'll be able to take it around september or october. If anyone has any questions about Security+, feel free to PM me and when I'm done I'll answer them. I can't give exam questions or anything, but any quasi-specific questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Glyphic said:
I have a question, which certs come from the Cisco networking 1&2 and 3&4 classes?

CCNA

Take either the 801 exam or the Bridge course (1&2) and the ICND- Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices (3&4) to get your CCNA.

Xaeos said:
CompTIA Security+ - This is an "entry level" certification compared to some of the others, but still should not be taken lightly. CompTIA suggests that you have 2 years of professional networking experience, the A+ and Network+ certs, before attempting, but they are not required. The test is 100 multiple choice questions to be completed in 90 minutes. Most questions are "short" multiple choice, that is to say each question doesn't require you to read a page or two about a hypothetical situation. Once you're certified, you're certed for good and don't have any dues to keep up as far as I know. The tests are given very often by the prometric and vue testing centers, which are linked to on CompTIA's page. For a study guide I suggest the book and DVD by Syngress, which claims to have complete and in depth coverage of every subject on the exam. Its worth mentioning its about 2-3 times as thick as other study guides.

I don't see the Security+ or the Linux+ even for that matter as "entry-level" certifications. CompTIA exams have been accepted as the general baseline for basic IT skill-sets, but Security+ and Linux+ are more advanced concepts than your A+, N+ or even Server+. True it's no Cisco or Checkpoint security cert, but don't let that fool you.

-DVA

DVAmon said:
CCNA
Take either the 801 exam or the Bridge course (1&2) and the ICND- Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices (3&4) to get your CCNA.
-DVA
If you take the 801 exam, you are a CCNA. No need for the ICND; you already took it in the 801 exam.

fibroptikl said:
If you take the 801 exam, you are a CCNA. No need for the ICND; you already took it in the 801 exam.

I know that.

There are 2 ways to take CCNA now. The 801 exam encompasses all 4 semesters of the Cisco Academy, and there are 2 Separate tests, the Bridge course test for Sems 1 & 2 and then ICND which is Sems 3 & 4. You choose to take either one or two tests at the beginning of your academy, and then at the halfway point you take a voucher exam, do the remainder and get another voucher. If you only take the 801 test, you take a voucher exam at the end of semester 4.

DVAmon said:
I know that.

There are 2 ways to take CCNA now. The 801 exam encompasses all 4 semesters of the Cisco Academy, and there are 2 Separate tests, the Bridge course test for Sems 1 & 2 and then ICND which is Sems 3 & 4. You choose to take either one or two tests at the beginning of your academy, and then at the halfway point you take a voucher exam, do the remainder and get another voucher. If you only take the 801 test, you take a voucher exam at the end of semester 4.
Grr, my bad.

I read it as 801 in Semester's 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 were ICND; which is not the case.

Anyone know of any places that hold the courses?

(I know of New Horizons, and Global Knowledge)

Personally, I need to get my ass in gear and get certs going, but I don't have the time nor discipline for self study :(

In NY it's real hard to find good training, since most of those places suck.

Check out http://www.experiencetraining.com . It's located in the city off 38th Street in Bryant Park which is right near where New Horizons is. I know a few people that went there and were very satisfied with the training. He offers MCSE, CCNA/NP, and does package training for L1, L2, etc. Printer repair training also.

Hope that helps.

-DVA

also in the sticky u should post links to good cert forums. the only ones i know of are www.examnotest.net and www.techexams.net.

theyre not the biggest in the world, but theyll help. does anyone know of any large cert forums, because im looking for a real good one myself.

I'm currently attending New Horizons and it is garbage. You would be better off buying all the different study materials, setting up your own small network, then paying for the tests yourself. It would still be cheaper than New Horizons.

Also, I was told that I might want to look into Cisco boot camps that are supposedly 1 week cramathons in Florida, at the end of the week you take the test. Anyone know anything about these?

I know about the so called boot camps, the teachers I had for my Cisco courses at the local community college took them, before teaching the class. All I can say is, I got my CCNA on the first try, one of my teachers was on his third or fourth. ;) Yea, I passed the test before my teacher, not exactly happy about that.

Boot camps are nothing more than paying for an instructor to drill you with basic theory and braindump you to death so you can pass an exam. Too expensive for my blood, especially when I'm not learning anything more than how to cheat myself and an exam. How does one expect to effectively utilize what was learned on the job or as an instructor passing exams this way?

BTW, anyone know how to actually get in and become an instructor without formal teaching experience or accreditation other than the certs themselves?

I believe after you get your MCSE, you have to complete a training program to become a Microsoft Certified Instructor. I think CompTia also offers a course to become A+, Net+ or Security+ teachers. You don't need any formal teaching experience prior.

Back