6800NU +16 Pipes?

Wow! Has anyone tried this? I have a 6800LE coming as a replacement for a dead 5900XT.

This might be worth a shot.

if this is true, then this will be yet ANOTHER blow to ATi.

think about it, a card that cost much less than the x800 but yet can (or could) have 16 pipelines. :p

Robstar said:
Wow! Has anyone tried this? I have a 6800LE coming as a replacement for a dead 5900XT.

6800LE uses a different chip than the 6800nu.

wow if that is true then it would run even faster than the GT at stock speeds. I will wait until I see benchmarks before I believe it though.

yes, the 6800LE is cheaper and shittyer than the NU My gainward GS 6800NU comes today at 4:00, i'll try this then

Viper87227 said:
There is a 6800LE? Is it even worse than a 6800nu?

its in between a 9800xt and 6800nu in performance, at $199 pricepoint

8 pipelines, and not nv40 chipset, so this mod wont work with it most likely

Dam someone with a 6800nu hurry and try this out let us know if it works this would be cool.

I assume by 6800NU, you mean Non-Ultra, Non-GT. I will try this when I get home with my Leadtek 6800.

Wouldn't this be considered an overclock though? May cause problems with D3

Yeah I think 6800NU means "Not ultra, not get, not ue, not le".

I wish people would stop using 6800NU meaning "6800" since it's not spedific.

There are many 6800 flavors (as listed above) that are "NU's"

I don't think that version of RivaTuner is released yet. I've been away from the boards for a while and can't remember it's attitude towards linking to other forums, but if you check out the RivaTuner (Guru3D) forums you'll see people talking about it. Some guy used babelfish to translate the Russian to English and people were saying how enabling the disabled pipes may lead to artifacting etc. I'm guessing it's like softmodding a 9500 > 9700 but I know nothing about the new line of cards so just a guess. Are NU cards Ultra cards which failed nVidia's quality tests but were still good enough to be sold? If that's the case the above thing about artifacting seems quite likely, a few may work, most won't etc.

I think one site tried this and it hosed their 6800, and they couldnt get it back to 12 pipes

tranCendenZ said:
I think one site tried this and it hosed their 6800, and they couldnt get it back to 12 pipes

this is a software mod not a hardware mod, i believe you are thinking of the x800pro mod which was a hardware based mod. i could see the softmod possibly screwing your o/s up but nothing a nice little reload wouldnt easily fix.

Dillusion said:
'remember what site?

I believe that XbitLabs did a write up about this. They actually flashed the BIOS to enable the additional 4 pipelines. They also discovered that the reason the pipelines are shut off in most cases is because they do not function correctly. Basically, Nvidia is taking the GT/Ultra 6800 GPU that all 16 pipes don't work correctly and turning them into NU. Xbit stated that it would be a gamble to try because once flashed forward, you can't flash it back. :eek:

This looks like software...probably totally worth a shot...somebody try this, I'm dying to know if it works...

All the 68xx cards have NV40 chip (O NO the HORROR) so were you think the LE,and NU don't is beypund me ! (same misconception happened with 59xx based cards)
memory frequency, and the number of pipelines to reduce transistor counts., is the only difference in the upper versus lower end cards

That could be the coolest mod / oc ever if it works with any type of consistenancy. 50% or better (and doesnt kill the ones that it doesnt work on)

It should be like the 9500 to 9700 soft mod... it either works... or could artifact & not work.... but worse case boot in to safe mode (or reinstall Win) to remove drivers/settings go back to normal 12 pipe.

I could see how a bios flash could screwed it up though, b/c going back to normal it might not know which 4 pipes to disable. (meaning it might disable 4 good ones and leave some of the bad ones in the 12 remaining)

BTW, I have seen like NO INFORMATION on the 6800 LE's. Not that I want one... but I might recommend one to friends on budgets looking for new gaming cards. Where's some info on them?

found benchmarks here: http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=325

They look like they would be a GREAT budget card.

MOC said:
All the 68xx cards have NV40 chip (O NO the HORROR) so were you think the LE,and NU don't is beypund me ! (same misconception happened with 59xx based cards)
memory frequency, and the number of pipelines to reduce transistor counts., is the only difference in the upper versus lower end cards

I stand corrected, just checked the 6800LE is actually the NV40.

for being so abrupt !

Whats going to be really cool is (and it's already in the works) !
Is a whole battery of mods and bios for NU,and LE cards to
run at Ultra speeds and use all pipelines..So if you can wait a month or 2
for that LE card to hit $ 175.00 ..you will have the last laugh thats for shure.

Robstar said:

Where can you get the 6800LE?

damn, that's cool. I am too much of a pussy to do it myself though. lol. I will wait until some of you brave souls do it first. If I see that the rate of success is around 90%, then I might do it myself....

I am really happy with my doom 3 performance as it is though, so maybe it's not worth it to do the mod. I can run at 1600x1200 in high quality and get very smooth gameplay.

Believe it or not, this whole thread is a repost.

Anyway, the RivaTuner trick is a SOFT MOD.

It's NOT a BIOS flash.

If it doesn't work, you just reboot, *poof*, back to 12 pipelines. Nothing is changed on the card (well, permanently anyway).

That's why this is so exciting news - the BIOS flash was a crap shoot, it might work, or it might not, and you couldn't undo it.

This WILL be undoable if it doesn't work. That's why it's cool.

But, not out yet.

dderidex said:
Believe it or not, this whole thread is a repost.

Anyway, the RivaTuner trick is a SOFT MOD.

It's NOT a BIOS flash.

If it doesn't work, you just reboot, *poof*, back to 12 pipelines. Nothing is changed on the card (well, permanently anyway).

That's why this is so exciting news - the BIOS flash was a crap shoot, it might work, or it might not, and you couldn't undo it.

This WILL be undoable if it doesn't work. That's why it's cool.

But, not out yet.

holy shit! good news!

jon_k said:
wow if that is true then it would run even faster than the GT at stock speeds. I will wait until I see benchmarks before I believe it though.

no it wont....the 6800nu has ddr1 as opposed to the GTs gddr3 that said its core is also clocked at 300mhz as opposed to the GTs 350.....that and the GTs automatically enabled 16 pipes makes the 6800 not even close to the GT.....even with 16 pipes...although it could be close if you OC the crap outa it :D

Chaballaman said:
so does it work?
It (the Riva Tuner update that allows you to do it without flashing a BIOS which could turn the card into a paperweight) isn't out yet, so it's unknown. Read..

The 6800nu Asus has on New Egg, the v9999 gamer edition or something like that, has 256mb of mem too, but its 420 :eek:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProdu...121-172&depa=0&CMP=OTC-hardocpne&ATT=Asus6800 i'd rather go with a GT for that price however.

http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/product_overview_nvidia.htm Check this out too, it says that card is at 350mhz core, 256mb @ 1.0ghz, interesting.

after more searching I found some benchmarks of the asus card, with only 12 pipes on http://www.gamers-depot.com/hardware/video_cards/asus/v9999ge/001.htm

Overclocked it performs almost up to the GT, I wonder if the extra 4 pipes would put it at or past the GT. The card also has 2 molex connectors, if the price wasn't at $420.00 i'd buy one and play around with it.

Robstar said:

Where did you find a 6800LE?

xSyzygy666x said:
no it wont....the 6800nu has ddr1 as opposed to the GTs gddr3 that said its core is also clocked at 300mhz as opposed to the GTs 350.....that and the GTs automatically enabled 16 pipes makes the 6800 not even close to the GT.....even with 16 pipes...although it could be close if you OC the crap outa it :D

Until you get to the really high detail and resolution, the 6800 128mb stays with the GT pretty closely. Check the Doom3 hardware guide for one. The fps difference at the same settings on the same comp is like 5 fps.

If they had 256mb 6800's, it would lower the gap caused by using ddr1 and make it a much, much better card. Unfortunately, the ones I have seen are also priced above the GT, which makes no sense at all.

Retards...

6800LE has only 8 pipes and a slightly lower clock speed than the plain 6800.
Last I heard it wasnt going to be a retail product, but just sent to a few select OEMs (ie: Dell for complete systems).. Did that change?

As far as soft-modding your 6800 into 16 pipelines, I wouldnt count on it. There is a good chance a lot of those plain 6800s dont have 16 fully operational pipes available to get working.

now, when we enable the extra 4 pipelines, when kind of artifacting should we expect exactly? serious artifacting, or just minor artifacting that would require you to very closely examine the screen? I want to know so I know what I have to look for when determining if the extra 4 pipes actually work. I also want confirmation on the risk level of performing this mod...it it a low level hardware mod (BIOS flash) or is it a software mod?? Some say it is a BIOS flash and you may not be able to go back to the previous bios properly, and others say it is not a BIOS flash, and the most you'd have to do is restart your system to have the card back to normal. Who is correct??!?

And yeah, I am sure the great majority of the nus will not work...it seems if the chip had 16 working pipelines nvidia would be better off selling it as an ultra or GT rather than an nu (considering the surplus of nus and the shortage of GTs and ultras)...unless the chip HAS 16 working pipelines but it just didn't pass other quality tests so it couldn't reach the appropriate clocks.

Back