Special Mouse Pads, for geeks or everyone?

Klade

Limp Gawd
Hello

For a while now I've been hearing people saying that their (insert name) mouse pad is amazing, and how it really made a difference. Currently I have one of the old style rubber foam mouse pads and really haven't had a complaint about it. I also have the MX500.

So my question is, are the specialty mousepads really worth it? Will I notice a difference in my games?

If I do spring for one I'm thinking about the Func Surface 1030. This is mainly due to some bad reviews I've heard about the ratpadz not holding up over long periods of time (and the fact that the func comes in a tin (I'm a sucker for packaging). Also I can't really see myself spending over 25$ for a mousepad so the other high price ones are out.

Any opinions on whether this is even worth the buy and if so is the Func a good choice?

if you do a lot of gaming you will definately appreciate a good mouse pad. i have a fUnc and it has lasted me over a year with zero problems.

I'm usually putting in about 2+ hours a day on games.. I'll also dabble in things like photoshop where small mouse movements are needed. I think I'll probably get one, just wanted some other opinions on the matter as well. Also anyone know where one can be found for less then 19.99+ shipping?

I thought the same about mousepads until I started using the nicer ones, and let me tell you, I will never abandon my fUnc pad, ever. That is, unless I decide to purchase a new one (The rubber base has warped, due to sweat mostly me thinks, but the surface itself is still fine and replacing it isn't necessary).

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll be getting one. I would just buy from newegg but they are out of the black one which is the one I want.

edit: Ok I just ordered one on Xoxide.com. They seemed to have the cheapest price plus shipping (or at least on par with newegg). Thanks again.

I got the Surface 1030 the day it came out. Well I mean I read a review of it in PC Gamer and I said to myself, I have to get that! Well I went to thier web site and ordered mine, and they were not shipping them yet, so I ended up waiting over a month to get mine. Anyhow, I started using it with a Intellimouse Explorer optical mouse and it worked great. I played Ultima Online a whole LOT and some other games. Anyhow, the rubber pad that the Surface 1030 comes in got worn and I threw that part out over a year after I got it. I am still using the pad though. It's right here on my desk right now, heh. It still works great and I have had it for about 4 years now. If you want to try something different, go down to your local home inprovement store and get a piece of 4 mm thick plastic and cut it to size and make your own pad, on the cheap.

I recommend the fUnc or Thunder 8. Both will do well. I'm using the Thunder 8 now, and I prefer it slightly over the fUnc. Forget any of the older plastic cutting board mouse pads. They are crap.

i won a fUnc at a lan 5 years ago, had it the whole time. it doesnt really "help" but its a good, solid surface

/edit: my friend has a ratpadz, it works really nice

i have found nowhere that sells it yet, but i really want this Thermaltake Gamma pad

i read a review for it somewhere and they said it had the smoothest surface they have ever used after reviewing ratpadz gs and all those others. and i'm using an mx510 so the smoother the better. i just gotta wait for one to go on sale.

JonnyK said:
i have found nowhere that sells it yet, but i really want this Thermaltake Gamma pad

i read a review for it somewhere and they said it had the smoothest surface they have ever used after reviewing ratpadz gs and all those others. and i'm using an mx510 so the smoother the better. i just gotta wait for one to go on sale.
I think ThermalTake introduces about five new products every week which you can't actually find anywhere for purchase.

Have had both ratpadz (regular and GS) and after both wore out in under 6 months each i got a func and its been pretty darn good. That new one that just came out hmm whats the name. Its like a limited edition and made out of aluminum... name someone please!? Well thats next for me maybe sometime but right now i gotta go back to work! =X

I have used a ratpad and a ratpad GS for a while now. They work well for me, and I love how durable and easy to clean they are (I wash them in the sink).

Tazman, what do you mean when you say you wore them out? My first ratpad is still in pretty good shape after 4+ years, though my gaming has been intermittent at best.

I have a ratpad at work and home, plus bought one for the wife.

Used CONTANTLY and never had a problem. But I do love them. I can't stand "old" mousepads.

I can not recommend enough the 3M Precision Mousing Surface. Available at retail outlets like CompUSA and Best Buy, and the best mouse pad I've ever used. No comparison between cloth/rubber pads for sure. Spray it and the bottom of the mouse with silicon spray (i.e. Armor All) every couple weeks and the mouse just glides. So smooth it feels like it's floating.

Only problem is the pad tends to slide, so I stick it down with some FunTack (stuff kind of like play-doh but a bit sticky, just put a tiny amount under each corner and smash it flat).

I heard about the thunder 8 and I was going to go that route but its 22 plus its from like thinkgeek so I dont think Ill be adding other stuff as easily as I would at newegg (to justify shipping). Almost $30 to my door. :eek: So I considered func1030 because the egg is the egg.

Good to hear from people who tried both... more would be even better. But from what I hear the thunder takes longer to wear and doesnt warp. Basically a rip of the 1030 but improved.

And yeah.... my ratpadz GS is quite smooth in spots. I got my moneys worth but think I'll try something different.

Anyone here recommend the Steelpad 4D?

I dont like surfaces that are too smooth, I think you need to have some friction to work against for the best accuracy of movement. The Steelpad 4D has a rough and a smooth surface so I guess this gives you the best of both worlds. I was thinking of getting one but wondering if it's worth it..?

sandman~ said:
Anyone here recommend the Steelpad 4D?

I dont like surfaces that are too smooth, I think you need to have some friction to work against for the best accuracy of movement. The Steelpad 4D has a rough and a smooth surface so I guess this gives you the best of both worlds. I was thinking of getting one but wondering if it's worth it..?

Heres a video review of those pads: http://www.xpcgear.com/lib/extremepcgear/3dgameman.com-videoreview-429-steelpad-icemat-03-256k.wmv

Haha LMAO, I've never seen that 'Gaming Glove' before! The girls would be all over you wearing that thing... very sexy. Seriously though, what's the point? I'd feel bad enough spending £20 on a mouse mat. Though i might be persuaded by the Steelpad 4D. :cool:

I use the ratpadz (regular), I think this is the best mouse pad ever.. I have 2 of the newer ones but I don't like them as well..

bipolar said:
I can not recommend enough the 3M Precision Mousing Surface. Available at retail outlets like CompUSA and Best Buy, and the best mouse pad I've ever used. No comparison between cloth/rubber pads for sure. Spray it and the bottom of the mouse with silicon spray (i.e. Armor All) every couple weeks and the mouse just glides. So smooth it feels like it's floating.

Only problem is the pad tends to slide, so I stick it down with some FunTack (stuff kind of like play-doh but a bit sticky, just put a tiny amount under each corner and smash it flat).
I have one of these at home and one at work. I got the ones with the built-in wrist rest, since I'm mousing about 16 hrs a day, sometimes more. My problem with them is they don't have much room and I find myself running the mouse off the edge. Still, not a bad mouse pad for the about $9 I spent on them at CompUSA.

Are the "nice" mousing pads hard on the wrists? I try to be really careful about that, since I thin I have poor circulation in my wrists. I have to take a break every hour as it is, or my fingers go numb. Does anyone use wrist rests with them?

sandman~ said:
Haha LMAO, I've never seen that 'Gaming Glove' before! The girls would be all over you wearing that thing... very sexy. Seriously though, what's the point? I'd feel bad enough spending £20 on a mouse mat. Though i might be persuaded by the Steelpad 4D. :cool:

I doubt it really helps all that much, its probably just a novelty item at heart.

Hartlove said:
I have one of these at home and one at work. I got the ones with the built-in wrist rest, since I'm mousing about 16 hrs a day, sometimes more. My problem with them is they don't have much room and I find myself running the mouse off the edge. Still, not a bad mouse pad for the about $9 I spent on them at CompUSA.

Are the "nice" mousing pads hard on the wrists? I try to be really careful about that, since I thin I have poor circulation in my wrists. I have to take a break every hour as it is, or my fingers go numb. Does anyone use wrist rests with them?

I used to use a gel thing with my Ratpad GS...however, I ended up giving away the Ratpad GS to a friend who wore down his Ratpad GS in < 6 months...so I hope he's still enjoying it.

I tried to use the same gel for my fUnc but it doesn't feel right. I have wrist problems myself, tendonitis injury a few years ago, but i have gamed for 8 hrs on my func (recent LAN) and my wrist felt jsut fine.

if you play games IMO the only answer is a supermat or any of its clones. ive tried the func and supermat > * IMO and pretty much alot of ppl who play cs. i do notice however a lot of clans are starting to use the $d pads, havent tried it yet though

Roost426 said:
5 star binder cover + pledge is what I use it pwns :D
LMAO! Not sure if I should take you serious? But it's funny either way. :D

Ive had a regular rat pad for the past couple years, it works great but I never really liked the GS though.

Hartlove said:
I have one of these at home and one at work. My problem with them is they don't have much room and I find myself running the mouse off the edge.

That's why god invented Mouse Acceleration :D

bipolar said:
That's why god invented Mouse Acceleration :D

Most people are allergic to Acceleration. Apparently they can't "aim" anymore. :rolleyes:

colin said:
I have used a ratpad and a ratpad GS for a while now. They work well for me, and I love how durable and easy to clean they are (I wash them in the sink).

Tazman, what do you mean when you say you wore them out? My first ratpad is still in pretty good shape after 4+ years, though my gaming has been intermittent at best.

In the area where the mouse mostly went over it made a color change which was slightly noticable under certain angels looking at it. Because i'm REALLY anal and i can feel uneven friction while playing (going over worn out/non worn out areas) i replaced them eventually. I just rotated my func pad actually as its starting to develop the same thing! =X FYI i have a mx300 with teflon feet that also get changed after a few months... :p

I've seen a lot of people talk about wearing their ratpad out. I have tried to figure out how, and it still baffles me. I don't know how hard those people are pushing down on their mice, but mine barely ever touches the surface. i figure i'd wear out the feet on my mouse before the pad.

I dont even see the point in using a mousepad since the introduction of optical mice. I myself dont use one.

I liked my Ratpadz GS until it literally wore out in about four months - it got all smooth. My daughter wore her's out in about 5 months... :( Great while they lasted. I won an Icemat at a LAN tourney and It's held up very nicely, still freaks me out that it's "glass" and clear, but the surface has stayed the same since day one, and my optical mouse loves it. Never would have tried one, but hey, it's pretty good in everything I do - not just gaming.

but yah, once you go to a "gaming" or high end mouse pad, er excuse me "mousing surface" it's tough to go back.

Peace,
Tim

Ratpadz GS here with an MX 700 wireless. Has been going strong for over a year.

I've been using a Ratpadz GS and an MX700 for a while with no problems. Way better than old cloth mousepads or the 3M which I found to work horribly with optical mice.

Today i just got my FUNC 1030 black and i cant stress how good this pad is.
I have used this Ziff-Davis mouse pad for about 3 years and the cloth top was starting
to curl up on me. :p

razer.tigga.org does a annual mousepad roundup that i dont think anyone has ever come close to. i believe they are on their 3rd or 4th year doin them. if you want good info on mousepads, id start there.

Back