Special Mouse Pads, for geeks or everyone?

I picked up a Litepad (www.litepads.com), been very happy with it except for a minor issue with the non-slip feet, the glue didn't like the texas heat and gave out, that I fixed with the liberal application of superglue :) At a cost of $8 I wasn't overly concerned if it turned out to be a piece of crap.

i made my own mouse pad, i printed out a sheet covered with random dots (spray can in paint or you can use the add noise filter in photoshop) then went to staples and had it laminated , cost me 2.50$ and i have a flat 11"x17" mousepad that works perfectly with a optical mouse. other mouse pads got on my nerves after a while because they are raised ever so slightly compared to the desk and it just annoyed me and none were as big as this one.

Can you post pic. of R-rated topless 3D mouse pad in hard forum? Any mod. can tell me?

sandman~ said:
Anyone here recommend the Steelpad 4D?

I dont like surfaces that are too smooth, I think you need to have some friction to work against for the best accuracy of movement. The Steelpad 4D has a rough and a smooth surface so I guess this gives you the best of both worlds. I was thinking of getting one but wondering if it's worth it..?
I have the 4S and love it.

For what it's worth (IE., those who have EVER run to the edge of their mouse pad), the Icemat 2nd edition black 'pad' is the LARGEST mousing surface, bar none, currently on the market.

fUnc sUrface 1030 = 8.5 x 10 in
Steelpad 3S = 9.2 x 9.8 in*
X-Trac Pro = 8.5 x 11 in
RatpadzGS = 9.5 x 11 in*
Steepad 4S & 4D = 10 x 11.4 in*
Icemat Black 2E = 10 x 12 in

* these three are measured from their farthest points, which isn't really fair, as the pad curves 'in' at the bottom, cutting a pretty big chunk out of your mousing area

PS: why mouse acceleration is evil. The Logitech MX510 is 800dpi. That means, you move the mouse 1", it can measure 800 dots. Dots = pixels on your screen in a 1:1 ratio. Ergo, if you have your screen set to 1600x1200 resolution, to move the mouse across the screen with each dot the mouse moves equalling one pixel on the screen, you'd need to move it 2". How does 'acceleration' get around this? As you move the mouse more rapidly, it starts skipping pixels. IE., you move the mouse on the pad for one pixel of movement, but since it's in the middle of a 'throw' over some distance, it moves the cursor 4, 5, 8, 10 pixels on the screen. It will do this in shooters, too. Which is why acceleration is evil. Even the best mouse driver at determining when to start or stop acceleration is still going to have you skipping pixels all over the place. It's better to get a mouse that doesn't need to do that (the Razers with 2100 dpi can move across, well, 2100 pixels before they would need to 'accelerated') or a pad big enough you have the room to leave acceleration off. If you can game accurately with acceleration on, more power to you. You've obviously grown so used to your mouse's inaccuracy you can actually counteract it. Wonderful. Most people can't, and should really not be required to learn.

Yeah, but....*cloth*. Blech. -10 coolness @ you for even thinking of such a travesty.

Go check out the 'Destrukt Pad (DKT)' @ http://www.esportsea.com/?s=proshop&d=product&id=8
Imagine a mouse pad that was made especially for gamers who use low sensitivity in their games and precision is the key to everything. This is pretty much a oversized fUnc pad with a single surface that is very much alike the rough side of the fUnc. And hey its got its own spiffy little Counter-Strike logo on the bottom.

You can get used to any mousepad fairly easily and once you do they're all the same.

godsend1 said:
What's the S&S?
It`s new mousepad from Steelpad. And it`s very large 320 X 270. Its thickness is 2 mm. The pad is very stable cause of its second side which is covered with rubber.

dderidex said:
For what it's worth (IE., those who have EVER run to the edge of their mouse pad), the Icemat 2nd edition black 'pad' is the LARGEST mousing surface, bar none, currently on the market.

X-Trac Pro = 8.5 x 11 in
RatpadzGS = 9.5 x 11 in*

You left out my favorite mousepad which happens to be larger than any of those - the new Razer eXactmat = 10.4 x 13 in, which goes great my new Razer Viper optical mouse.

I've used the ratpad and the func 1030 the last couple years and greatly prefer the razer exactmat over them and any other mousepad I've ever used.

I'm so close to buying a func 1030 pad. Anyone have any bad experience with those, other than just personal preference? I suppose it can't be worse than my Max Payne mousepad though. :)

S1nF1xx said:
I'm so close to buying a func 1030 pad. Anyone have any bad experience with those, other than just personal preference? I suppose it can't be worse than my Max Payne mousepad though. :)

The only negative I had with the func 1030 is that the mousepad part kept coming apart from the rubber base after a while, highly annoying and it promped me to search for something better, which I found. The razer exactmat is a much better quality mousepad. All of my friends have ditched whatever they were using (funcs, ratpad, etc...) after a few minutes on my exactmat. Good size, great feel, nice and strong (not fragile like the glass ones), mousepads don't get any better than this. Check it out at http://www.razerzone.com/exactmat.html, you won't hear many people praising it because it's a new product and not alot of people have had a chance to use one yet, but it's easily the best gamer mousepad I've ever used IMO.

'Fragile'?!

Have you actually USED a glass pad? 'Fragile' is not a word for them. Thing is a quarter inch thick, easy, and HEAVY. Granted, I wouldn't drop it on the floor from eye level...but I wouldn't do that to ANYTHING on my desk, so what's the problem?

It will not break in anything approaching common usage, it's a tough (big) pad.

I don't think a mousepad will make you better at a video game. You just have to get used to something, and as long as it is consistent, you'll be fine. I've been using a mousepad that my college gave me for 4 years now and it works really well with my MX510. It's a standard cloth mousepad.

The only time I can see buying a mousepad as justified is if you use a low sensitivity and need the size.

dderidex said:
'Fragile'?!

Have you actually USED a glass pad? 'Fragile' is not a word for them. Thing is a quarter inch thick, easy, and HEAVY. Granted, I wouldn't drop it on the floor from eye level...but I wouldn't do that to ANYTHING on my desk, so what's the problem?

It will not break in anything approaching common usage, it's a tough (big) pad.

Fragile yes, yeah I thought my Icemat (transparent) was pretty tough for a while, my 3 year old boy showed me how fragile it was, knocked it off my desk, maybe a 3.5 foot drop and the thing broke into a few pieces - that's fragile to me. One of my friends also had one (the black one), took it to a lan party, it did not survive the trip to the party in the trunk of his car, broke in 2, after bragging about how tough it was moments earlier, LOL.
It was a great mousepad while it lasted though. Smooth as glass, lol.

Best mousepad ever

mousepad.jpg

dudewth said:
I don't think a mousepad will make you better at a video game. You just have to get used to something, and as long as it is consistent, you'll be fine. I've been using a mousepad that my college gave me for 4 years now and it works really well with my MX510. It's a standard cloth mousepad.

The only time I can see buying a mousepad as justified is if you use a low sensitivity and need the size.
And that's what I said, too, as I kept using an old cloth mouse pad.

Trust us on this.

It DOES make you better. Cloth mouse pads suck, once you use something significantly superior, you'll never go back.

dderidex said:
And that's what I said, too, as I kept using an old cloth mouse pad.

Trust us on this.

It DOES make you better. Cloth mouse pads suck, once you use something significantly superior, you'll never go back.
Meh, I've tried other pads, don't get me wrong, and I still see no help from them. I've tried an everglide and a friends pad (I think it was a supermat) and I'm still happier with the cloth.

A supermat IS still a cloth pad. So you've actually only tried a SINGLE alternative pad.

There are several better alternatives out there. Trying just one and then dismissing them as unnecessary would be a bit unfair don't you think?

Have you tried a Ratpad/func/Xtrac? These are some of the notable brands I'd try out before saying that cloth is still "good enough". In this time and day, it isn't.

Yeah. I considered purchasing this. But $30 plus $15 for shipping turned me off big time. (Canadian prices). I'm sticking to my piece of paper with my MX510 :D

sandman~ said:
Anyone here recommend the Steelpad 4D?

I dont like surfaces that are too smooth, I think you need to have some friction to work against for the best accuracy of movement. The Steelpad 4D has a rough and a smooth surface so I guess this gives you the best of both worlds. I was thinking of getting one but wondering if it's worth it..?

My friend use it with MX510 and his notebook on LAN parties. Good two-sided surface...

ps: I tired telling him that gaming on notebook suxx (except maybe Warcraft)...

bvincent said:
Fragile yes, yeah I thought my Icemat (transparent) was pretty tough for a while, my 3 year old boy showed me how fragile it was, knocked it off my desk, maybe a 3.5 foot drop and the thing broke into a few pieces - that's fragile to me. One of my friends also had one (the black one), took it to a lan party, it did not survive the trip to the party in the trunk of his car, broke in 2, after bragging about how tough it was moments earlier, LOL.
It was a great mousepad while it lasted though. Smooth as glass, lol.

I don't have any little kids in my house and I'm using an original package of my Icemat Black 2nd Edition to carry it to LAN parties... so I don't have to worry about my mouse surface...

My friend use Steelpad 3S on lan parties. So he has nice surface and he hasn`t any troubles with fragile, because it`s aluminium :)

dderidex said:

X-Trac Pro = 8.5 x 11 in
RatpadzGS = 9.5 x 11 in*

* these three are measured from their farthest points, which isn't really fair, as the pad curves 'in' at the bottom, cutting a pretty big chunk out of your mousing area

PS: why mouse acceleration is evil. The Logitech MX510 is 800dpi. That means, you move the mouse 1", it can measure 800 dots. Dots = pixels on your screen in a 1:1 ratio. Ergo, if you have your screen set to 1600x1200 resolution, to move the mouse across the screen with each dot the mouse moves equalling one pixel on the screen, you'd need to move it 2". How does 'acceleration' get around this? As you move the mouse more rapidly, it starts skipping pixels. IE., you move the mouse on the pad for one pixel of movement, but since it's in the middle of a 'throw' over some distance, it moves the cursor 4, 5, 8, 10 pixels on the screen. It will do this in shooters, too. Which is why acceleration is evil. Even the best mouse driver at determining when to start or stop acceleration is still going to have you skipping pixels all over the place. It's better to get a mouse that doesn't need to do that (the Razers with 2100 dpi can move across, well, 2100 pixels before they would need to 'accelerated') or a pad big enough you have the room to leave acceleration off. If you can game accurately with acceleration on, more power to you. You've obviously grown so used to your mouse's inaccuracy you can actually counteract it. Wonderful. Most people can't, and should really not be required to learn.

New Steelpad S&S -- 12 2/3" x 10 2/3". Here comes da fUck killer...

S1nF1xx said:

i would recommend a func pad. i just ordered my 3rd one. i ruined my first one due to stupidity and my second i have no idea how it got so screwed until i found out my cousin was using my computer while at work...its just warped all over the place...he has a weird sweat gland problem from his hands and when i came back from work i noticed my mouse tilting while using it. i later pick the pad off the rubber mat and noticed a decent amount of water underneath...i was like wtf!

anyway, enough of my rant:p...after this fiasco i'm thinking about getting something that wont distort or bend so easily. i'll probably be getting both the icemat 2nd edition and the razor mat.

If you ever wanted to make your own mousepad and have it glide everywhere with some proper treatment, get a black-colored formica surface. Get a solid tough wooden base with the height that you think is comfortable enough for you. Just fit the formica on top of it with a small amount of superglue/glue and add some treatment (Armor All, Pledge, etc) soaked. And you're ready to play it the next day. Works awesome for me. No problems with the MX510, MX700, Razer Viper and Intelliexplorer 3.0.

-J.

Definiatly not only for gaming. Just got a new corepad love it. Have also heard good news on the Steelpads also. I replaced a Func1030 for my Corepad the Func1030 was excellent but I like my corepad better. I too need it since I got a MX510 and Logitech makes their mouse to damn heavy. In the old days it was actually doing something good with the old ball mouses but now it´s only because it would feel like more high quality.

Theoretically, any good mouse pad should be fine for your gaming needs. It isn't necessary. But some report improvement in their gameplay. I would rather believe it to be a placebo. Using a cloth pad was fine for me too. Just that I prefer a smoother pad over a slightly frictioned pad.

-J.

I think in terms of whether or not you'll "get more headshots" with a better pad?

Obviously no. I was just as good before as I'm after, with the fUnc.

If you suck at CS with cloth, a faster pad will not make you better. However, if you are already decent, then it certainly helps but it may be more of an ergonomic thing than anything else.

I use the fUnc NOT only as a good mousepad, but also for its cord holder. Considering that I'm not going to use any other mousepad, at least for the time being, there'd be no reason for me to purchase a mouse bungee.

Its nice when a mousepad can do 2 things (in addition to having a slick, Ratpad-esque side as an alternative on the flip side).

I am looking for a new mouse pad. My main problem with the RatPadz (original) that I have had for many years is that many of the feet have fallen off and the damn thing slips all over the place. I think I am going to go against the grain and get this pad.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-114-176&depa=0

It is 11x17 which is just huge but I took out a tape measure and everything looks like it should fit fine. The Ratpadz is moved a lot because some people like it high so they can rest their arm on the desk and I usually put it low near the edge. With 17" of height, I don't think I will ever have to move it. I read some reviews saying that it can slip but I figure a CRT monitor will be against the side so it should stay in one place. This is just another reason I have to move the Ratzpad a lot is because it gets too close to the CRT.

Edit: Just ordered it. I may be the first person in this forum to have this mouse pad.

Staples said:
I am looking for a new mouse pad. My main problem with the RatPadz (original) that I have had for many years is that many of the feet have fallen off and the damn thing slips all over the place. I think I am going to go against the grain and get this pad.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-114-176&depa=0

It is 11x17 which is just huge but I took out a tape measure and everything looks like it should fit fine. The Ratpadz is moved a lot because some people like it high so they can rest their arm on the desk and I usually put it low near the edge. With 17" of height, I don't think I will ever have to move it. I read some reviews saying that it can slip but I figure a CRT monitor will be against the side so it should stay in one place. This is just another reason I have to move the Ratzpad a lot is because it gets too close to the CRT.

Edit: Just ordered it. I may be the first person in this forum to have this mouse pad.

I used to have it, but I returned it for the X-Trac Ripper.

I couldn't get used to the "credit card like" plastic it was made of.

I just prefer cloth.

Of course it helps to have a surface with good friction will allow you to move your mouse faster and more precise definiatly. Now most todays mouse are optical so then the surface means a bit less but then less friction is most often better. You will get more headshots with a better mousepad for sure as you will with a better mouse ;)

Ergonimically there is no difference since most shape and height is really the same thing so ergonomically they don´t make any difference whatsoever.

OpStar said:
I used to have it, but I returned it for the X-Trac Ripper.

I couldn't get used to the "credit card like" plastic it was made of.

I just prefer cloth.
I was thinking of buying the cloth one just for the fact that it was at least $5 cheaper. I finally decided on this one. I thought when they said credit card like, that it was thin as a CC. Oh well, maybe I should have gotten the cloth one after all. More than likely, after I get used to it, it should be just fine.

Back