HAHA (doh!) ATI & Nvidia on the way o.O;

SelRahc

Limp Gawd
*** THIS STORY CONTIENUES IN THE WORK LOG > CLICK < ***

Ok it was a simple plan. Order both cards, and when the first batch shipped, can-x the 2nd batch. (I should have known better)

I put 2 BFG 6800Ultra's on order at 1 place, and 2 PowerColor x800xt pe le's on order at another place. The x800's were on order for a long time b4 the bfg's.... kinda got sick of waiting and the bfg's had a sooner ETA for in stock.

Anyway, you can see where this is going. I got the email confirmation that the BFG's were on their way today. So I log in to can-x the order for the ATI's and find they actually shipped today as well! (hadn't recieved email confirmation yet lol) :eek:

So now I have 2 BFG 6800Ultra's and 2 PowerColor x800xt pe le's both on their way to me. (building 2 new computers, thats why 2)

So I'm ganna have these 4 boxes staring at me when they arrive.....

ARGH! WHICH ONE AM I GANNA FRIGGEN OPEN????? :confused: :eek:
I was hoping for the, first come first serve and I'd be happy... but Nooooooooooooooooo. Now I hafta make THE decision.

Lucky me ea? :rolleyes:

EDIT: HEY! Im [H]lite now. I feel so special.... hehe

keep one of each and ebay the other two for a couple of hundred bucks over msrp

The Batman said:
Keep 1 Ultra and 1 XTPE. Best of both worlds.

Good idea. I'm working on matching systems for the wifey and I. (lemee hear the awws and cooos.... I know it's SO romantic hehe. Of corse she hasn't seen the CC bill yet hehe)

That being said though, I can't run the risk of giving her the better card... * *cough cough I mean breaking up our lovely matched systems cough** hehe. So I'll hafta decide which ones we will be using >.<;

On top of that I'll hafta return the ones I don't keep... can you say restocking fees? /cry

Hmm maybe I can sneak 1 of the extras into this computer (changing to my spare 2nd computer) That's a thought. Then if I decide I want to change later I can hehe. And just sell the other.

My initial problem still remains though...... THE CHOICE. /joy & /cry

there seems to be some xt-pe shipments.. you should ebay those cards asap and make a fortune

SelRahc said:
Of corse she hasn't seen the CC bill yet hehe

Dude.. you better hurry up and return something before your dead meat.

Seriously, the choice is really yours. Both are going to give you incredible gaming expericances.

Well in that case keep the 2 Ultras and sell the XTPEs. Not because the Ultras are better cards but because you can jack-up the price on those XTPEs. Or if you're feeling generous you could sell them to people on Hard for what you paid for them.

I'm instrested to know if you would be willing to sell me one of the two you don't want. I'll pay everything you've paid so far, plus shipping to my door if you think its viable and if I get paid like I should tomorrow. It would be nice to actually know I'm getting a card rather than being on a waitlist.

joemama said:
Ok, I'm unfamiliar with X800XT PE LE ? What does the LE mean..

Its the limmited edition release from PowerColor. PowerColor Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition ( R42-TVD3) 256MB GDDR3 SDRAM Limited Assassin Edition Backpack. Comes with a full size black hitman backpack / laptop bag & game. Here is a link. Clickey Looks like you get a card for a free HL2 as well... but I can't quite read the card...

or if you a stiffy for a game your gonna play for 5 hours like doom 3 id say keep the x800xts because they overclock way better than the 6800s and also with the ati cards you can trade them in when the next card comes out :D

I'm ganna want to test out both cards as soon as I get them, but I refuse to... this computer has been acting up forever. VC in it now freezes anytime I play a game. I promissed not to put any of the new parts in this system and risk bringing over the "curse" from my old system to the new one. I've always salvaged parts and always had quirky problems....

So I won't know which is better in my opinion till the new computers are all together... could be 1-2 weeks still /cry

8Zombie8 said:
or if you a stiffy for a game your gonna play for 5 hours like doom 3 id say keep the x800xts because they overclock way better than the 6800s and also with the ati cards you can trade them in when the next card comes out :D

Nuh? I think you got just about EVERYTHING backwards. If you want to play D3 keep the Ultras, the Ultras OC better than the XTPEs, and with eVGA you can trade them in for a new card.

Were you being sarcastic? I can't tell. : :confused:

You are in orlando. I will drive to orlando and pick the card up from you so you won't have to deal with shipping. Any intrest?

nweibley said:
You are in orlando. I will drive to orlando and pick the card up from you so you won't have to deal with shipping. Any intrest?

I've always wanted to visit Tampa. Just moved here 3 weeks ago lol.

ok heres what you want to do, mail me the cards and I'll test em for ya wink wink.

You ordered 4 of the new gen cards? You're part of the reason the rest of us can't get any of them!

Incus said:
You ordered 4 of the new gen cards? You're part of the reason the rest of us can't get any of them!

LOL call me agressive :) Since I knew I was going to be playing the waiting game, and just wanted 1 of the best cards asap, I ordered from 2 places. The Nvidias from 1 and the ATI's from another. I laughed for several minutes when I realized both orders shipped out today LOL.

I kinda decided it would be best NOT to tell the wifey though.... It would be kinda hard to explain ordering $2000 worth of video cards :rolleyes: (shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh) :D

SelRahc said:
LOL call me agressive :) Since I knew I was going to be playing the waiting game, and just wanted 1 of the best cards asap, I ordered from 2 places. The Nvidias from 1 and the ATI's from another. I laughed for several minutes when I realized both orders shipped out today LOL.

I kinda decided it would be best NOT to tell the wifey though.... It would be kinda hard to explain ordering $2000 worth of video cards :rolleyes: (shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh) :D
LMAO

"Honey, I bought some computer stuff"
"How much was it?"
"$2000"
"Well, when are they delivering the new computer?!! It better be damn fast!"
"Uh, actually, its one part."
::SMACK::

It's a good thing you kept it on the DL.

nweibley said:
LMAO

"Honey, I bought some computer stuff"
"How much was it?"
"$2000"
"Well, when are they delivering the new computer?!! It better be damn fast!"
"Uh, actually, its one part."
::SMACK::

It's a good thing you kept it on the DL.

lol. yeah he'll be in trouble until the wife finds out he can sell them on ebay for at least $100 over MSRP.

The Batman said:
the Ultras OC better than the XTPEs,

Making a blanket statement like that isnt smart. I dont recall seeing any proof of this. They both seem to overclock well.

fallguy said:
Making a blanket statement like that isnt smart. I dont recall seeing any proof of this. They both seem to overclock well.

Look buddy, I don't have rainbows shooting out my ass. On average Ultras hit 450 and above, that's a 50 core OC. I haven't seen the majority [emphasis here being MAJORITY] of XTPEs hit that on air. Typically I see [when I do see them] the XTPEs around 560 [I even asked theelviscerator over MSNM about this as I was typing this post]. 40 mhz OC. That's pretty close when you look at like that. Thing is your NOT supposed to look at it like that. It's more about percentages than raw numbers.

400 -> 450 = 12.5% OC
520 -> 570 [gave you a boost there to make it even] = 9.5% OC

And these are being conservative on the Nvidia side. I've seen Ultras do 460-475 on air. I get the feeling most people doing 440 on Ultras are just scared of pushing the core higher. I can do 435 on the core with my GT. But I don't like putting that kind of a strain on the card for 1-2FPS. So yes, the Ultras DO OC [on average, eveyone's mileage does vary] better than the XTPEs.

OK I GOT IT!

fallguy said:

Do they? :confused: I've finally decided what I'm ganna do :) I can't bash either card, because I really don't know first hand.... I'm ganna change that!

Tell me what you think of this idea!

I'm ganna do alittle testing. And this is a perfect time to do so!!!!! Since I'm building 2 computers EXACTLY the same.... same case, MB, ram everything... I'll install 1 computer with the x800xtpe, and the other with the 6800u!

Then format the exact same, load up PCmark, 3dmark, aqua and the such on both systems.... load up Ut2k4 and doom3... and just do my own testing! Its perfect!

Then I can post pics and all the benchmarks right for all to see :) The card I like best will go in both systems, the 1 unopened spare ill sell and the open spare ill either sell or throw in the spare computer :)

I'll probably do just stock cooling with no OC at first... (I'm a OC noob... never really done it b4 and have no friggin clue what to do, but I'm getting these systems with full OC on my mind for later hehe). I want to WC the systems, but I don't want to buy blocks I may never use again, so it may just stay stock for testing at first... not sure.

Anyway that's what I'll do. Then I will know first hand which is better for me... *cough er... I mean us hehe* And all you fellow [H] can reap the reward. (then laugh at me as I get slapped for the CC bill >.<)

The simple fact is, you cant just claim one overclocks better than the other. Especially going only by a few online posts. The [H] Preview only got a 30Mhz overclock. While I dont think thats the normal, it shows you cannot make a blanket statement like that.

Ive seen several XT/PE's hit 50Mhz+ on the core, and a few at 600Mhz. Seen several Ultras get 50Mhz+ as well. As I said, they both overclock very well. Placing your bets on which card will overclock more when trying to decide what card to buy, is not very smart.

In my own personal expierence, my X800 Pro overclocked 80Mhz on the core, and my 6800 GT does 70Mhz on the core. I would say they are about even. But maybe thats because I see things clearly?

edit, Sel, you are doing the best thing. Use them both, and decide what you want. They are both very good cards, and both will serve you well. I would advise you to play a few of your favorite games, and run Fraps will doing so. Keeping the card that plays your games, the best.

fallguy said:
The simple fact is, you cant just claim one overclocks better than the other. Especially going only by a few online posts. The [H] Preview only got a 30Mhz overclock. While I dont think thats the normal, it shows you cannot make a blanket statement like that.

For starters don't use irrelevant analogies. The Hard sample was from enginnerring. If you happen to recall the Hard enginerring XTPE didn't even hit 550. Secondly, I'm not talking about engineering samples, I'm talking retail. MOST RETAIL Ultras do 450 and up.

Ive seen several XT/PE's hit 50Mhz+ on the core, and a few at 600Mhz. Seen several Ultras get 50Mhz+ as well. As I said, they both overclock very well. Placing your bets on which card will overclock more when trying to decide what card to buy, is not very smart.

No shit, I did say your mileage may vary. I'm just making a generalization about which one OCs better, I'm not gauranteeing you shit.

In my own personal expierence, my X800 Pro overclocked 80Mhz on the core, and my 6800 GT does 70Mhz on the core. I would say they are about even. But maybe thats because I see things clearly?

:rolleyes:

http://www.elitebastards.com/page.php?pageid=6093&head=1

Hell. digitalwanderer [you know, he's a big ATI guy] makes my point for me. You get more performence OCing a GT than you do a PRO. The fact that you didn't notice says more about you than the cards.

...Next.

jonavin said:
Mind telling us where you bought these 4 cards from?

Not at all :)

The BFG's came from noneother than The Egg > 6800u @ The Egg

And I placed the X800's on backorder from Gameve > x800xtpe @ Gameve
Last time I looked, price jumped to $685.00 (ouch), but they were in stock again.

With the egg, I had overcharged the daily limmit on my cc from buying all the parts (go figure), so the transaction was put on hold but not cancled (egg does that automatically I guess?).... then fufilled once they came in stock i guess hehe.

God damn you man, I nearly jumped with joy until I saw the price. You made it out like it was a good deal. That's nearly $700 smackers....hell no way.

The Batman said:
God damn you man, I nearly jumped with joy until I saw the price. You made it out like it was a good deal. That's nearly $700 smackers....hell no way.

Yeah no kidding. Anyone considering paying that deserves to be smacked.

Back