Project Stackers - High End Builds, Comparative Testing & First Mod! (56k Warning)

SelRahc

Limp Gawd
Project Status: Complete
Last Update: 23 Feb 2005
Reason: Finally doing some work yeay
Actual modding starts on pg. 11.

My apology for the delay in this project. I did not realize time would be against me, but it's finally getting going again. Thanks for hanging in there :)

Unfortunately the testing part never got completed. I just didnt have the time I wanted for this project. This was my first project, so I think I over-extended myself in what I wanted to get done. Ill do better next time though ;)

A few reviews did get done though :) They are linked farther down the page here.

Hello all,

My first work log, yeay. Since most of my parts are in, and others have been pestering me to start this, I figured I would go ahead get to work on my first work log. Since everyone seems to love picking names for their project, I decided to call this one Project Stackers.

This is my first worklog, and my first ever casemod. Please be kind. Constructive feedback greatly appreciated!

Here are the tasks at hand:

• Build 2 Identical High-end computers
  • Using the identical builds, compare performance of high-end video cards
  • Using the identical builds, compare performance of high-end motherboards (optional)
  • Complete multiple performance tests based on stock configurations
  • Mod cases for water-cooling installation
  • Install WC setup
  • Overclock (before and after WC?)
  • Repeat peformance tests & compare to stock set-up
Additional Objectives:
- Take detailed photographs of the entire build process.
- Provide results of all tests to [H] via the worklog
- Write a review of each item used in this install for a side project of mine
(Access to reviews will be provided to [H] readers upon their request)
- Mod. Got to light it up somehow. Need some color. CC's and EL wire are both good options ^_^
- Keep worklog updated lol >.<;

Please note: This post will be updated often so please check it often.

Purpose & Scope of project:
Basically I am building my wife and I new computers. They are going to be identical in the end. (this was her request.. yes isn't it romantic? I plan to deviate alittle though.. she just doesn't know it yet mwa ha ha) In the process I will be performing detailed tests of multiple high-end componants to determin which will end up in the final builds. In addition, I will be writing reviews of everything that is used / tested in the project. The reviews are for a side web project of mine, but I will post them as they are completes should people want to see them.

In addition, I will be performing my first mod. We will need to add a 240mm blowhole on the top of the case for our water cooling radiator & fans.

*************************************************************************************

Detailed Information:

• Build 2 Identical High-end computers
Basically what it says. Each system will contain the following parts. If more than 1 of the same type is listed, the best item after testing will be used. (exception: Hard Disks):

Item type: Item Brand & Name, Part Number

Processor: AMD Athlon FX-53 Socket 939, ADAFX53AXBOX
Memory: 512mb Crucial Ballistix PC-4000 (x2), BL6464Z505
Video Card: BFG Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra OC, BFGR68256UOC
Video Card: PowerColor ATI Radeon X800XT-PE, R42-TVD3
Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum, 7025-010
Motherboard: Abit AV8 3rd Eye, AV83EC4C000388
Hard Disks: Western Digital Raptor SATA 74 gb, WD740GD-00FLA1
Hard Disks: Western Digital Cavilar SATA 250 gb, WD2500JD-22GBB0
Case: Cooler Master Stacker, STC-T01-UW
Case SP: Cooler Master Window for Stacker, SPB-S01
Fan: Cooler Master Cross Flow Fan, STF-B01-E1

~ Additional parts will be listed soon soon! ^_^ Aren't I a bugger. ~

• Using the identical builds, compare performance of high-end video cards
We will be comparing 2 top-of-the-line video cards to see which one will win the rights sit in the royal AGP slot.

~ If you want detailed information on the WHY, you can see this thread. This is a long story in itself haha. ~

• Using the identical builds, compare performance of high-end motherboards (optional)
We will compare the performance between 2 of the best 989 motherboards out there. The MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum and the Abit AV8 - 3rd eye. The reason I have both is simple: safety. I have heard both posative and negative about both motherboards, so I got both. I will go with the one that works best, and that I like the best. ^_^

• Complete multiple performance tests based on stock configurations
Tests, tests and more tests! We will perform tests on as much of the equipment as we can. This includes CPU, Memory, and of corse Video Cards. I have aquired several tools to assist in our testing. They include, but are not limited to: Aquamark, 3dMark, Fraps, PCMark and ???

Testing Games include: Unreal Tournament 2K4, Doom3 and a few other apps.

*Please recommend any testing software / games not mentioned on this list. I don't know what is good and what is not. This software will be used in future projects as well, not just this build.

• Mod cases for water-cooling installation
  • Install WC setup
I'll put these together for now. We will mod the case, and install our water cooling equipment. At this time I am looking at installation of a dule 120mm rad, and a res. Looks like it will be dremel time. And since I don't have one, I guess I will just hafta go buy one right? *This will come in after the initial build. It has been ordered, however these are special items... so it may take a while to get here... hehe.

~ More on this later ^_^ ~

• Overclock
No sence in having a high-end system if you don't plan on overclocking it, right? I have never overclocked a system before, so this will be a learning experiance for me. I will look to all you experts out there for guidance in not frying my new playtoys ^_^. should we overclock in both stock cooling and water cooling to compare? This is up in the air... so you tell me ^_^

• Repeat peformance tests & compare to stock set-up
Naturally we will re-test everything once the water-cooling setup has been installed. We will compare the before and after tests. This also goes for overclocking as well.

*************************************************************************************

As I write reviews and post them on [H], they will be listed here with link.

Completed Reviews:

Cooler Master CM Stacker Case
Cooler Master Cross Flow Fan & Side Window for Stacker

As you can see, we have a nice bit of fun ahead of us. Please be patient with me. This will be a drawn-out process as I must juggle classes, family and building / modding accordingly. This will not be a slam, bam, thank-you-maam job. Mod time will be determined upon the arrival time of WC equipment and whatnot. With all the testing that will be done though, I should be able to keep busy until that time. Hurricanes tend to stall the process as well >.<!

Please feel free to ask any questions you like, but I may not answer some of them as to not spoil surprises ^_^ Remember, I will update the misc. information in this post as necessary. However the bulk of the information will be as a reply.

I can't got to bed without posting a teaser pic :D
More to come very soon! (some stuff blurred on purpose mwa ha ha)

I have numbered the pics for anyone that wants to take a guess hehe

teaser.jpg

EDIT: I have numbered the pics for anyone that wants to take a guess hehe

sounds like a great project. I wish i had the money to do that. Are you going to sell the equipment you don't use?

Keep us updated :D

NickTheNut said:
Are you going to sell the equipment you don't use?

Absolutely! I know for sure I will have goodies left over that won't be used. I am quite sure I will be selling what is not used. I'll look more into that after the final use decisions have been made ^_^

No guesses? /cry That's no fun.

Anyways, I got one of my final fed-ex & ups shipments in today. I should be able to start building this weekend ^_^ I took a little pic for everyone. This is the bulk of the install items, with a few more to be picked up from the local store.

Anyone care to play I Spy?

ispy.jpg

I spy with my little eye.... something..... [H]

More pics & an inventory coming soon!

Dang, I see two FX-53's. They cost more than my entire computer. :D What do you do for a living??

haha im going over to his house and stealing all his stuff, who wants dibs on what?!?!1

trust_no1 said:
I wanna know your take on that CMStacker. I'm ordering one soon. :eek:

I only took them out of the box shortly to inspect them after shipping. My first thought when I opened the box.....

"Oh my god.. its HUGE!"

The case is very big compared to my Antec. It's the same height, but its so much deeper. I'm almost worried about desk room now haha. Looks well built. The external alum on the steel seemed like it woul dbe a little flimsey, but I want to look at it alittle better before I make a final comment on that. I also got the stacker blower and side pannel as well.

Expect more detailed pics and my thoughts on the cases within the next day or so.

ive had quite a few of Vantec stealth, don't like em, too much whine

after its all done, you should put it in the FS/T sections ;)

where did u happen to purchase all of this online, besides the stuff from the local store?
Also i have a vantec stealth, havn't had much whining out of mine :rolleyes:

SelRahc said:
I only took them out of the box shortly to inspect them after shipping. My first thought when I opened the box.....

"Oh my god.. its HUGE!"

The case is very big compared to my Antec. It's the same height, but its so much deeper. I'm almost worried about desk room now haha. Looks well built. The external alum on the steel seemed like it woul dbe a little flimsey, but I want to look at it alittle better before I make a final comment on that. I also got the stacker blower and side pannel as well.

Expect more detailed pics and my thoughts on the cases within the next day or so.

I'll be looking forward to that then :cool: . I have a Sonata at the moment, and it's just too small for me. Read a few reviews about the Stacker and seems like it could be my next case.

jinxnate said:
where did u happen to purchase all of this online, besides the stuff from the local store?
Also i have a vantec stealth, havn't had much whining out of mine :rolleyes:

I only shop at a few sites online:

NewEgg.com
ZipZoomFly.com (Go GoogleGear!)
and FrozenCPU.com

If I purchased from any other sites, it was for minor things, or the service was so bad I refuse to shop at them again any time soon.

One "tip" on the stacker. When you go to mount the i/o shield, there's a small strip of metal in one of the bags that come with the case that you need to screw in behind the i/o shield to keep the i/o shield in place firmly. The instructions only mention that small strip when switching from ATX to BTX. I learned that the hard way after thrashing the crap out of a GA-K8NSNXP-939 shield. :p

too much money and too much time on your hands!!!! Enjoy both!!! and show us the final product :D

Ok,

So I will need to do a bit of modding later in this project.... but I didn't have the tools for the job. That is where Home Depot came in. Behold the tools of my future trade ^_^

dremel_01.jpg

Dremel 400XPR (+70 kit) & the 220 piece accessory kit. The was in, but the patient isn't ready yet. Again, the HD came through for me. I picked up a piece or 2 of sheet alum. and drove ofer to Main Target's place for alittle noobie dremel action.

Neither of us have ever really used a dremel. Being both dremel noobs went something like this:

- Fumble with parts trying to figure out how to connect things. We finally gave up and read the directions haha. We got the flex shaft installed, and a cutting wheel after so many long minutes.

- Broke first cutting wheel before dremel was even turned on when the flex shaft fell to the ground... opps.

- Turned it on and started a first cut. Broke another cutting disk after about 2 minutes when the flex was shifted alittle too much.... opps.

- Success. After a few minutes praticing we started to get the hang of it. We actually got something cut out haha. And no fingers were lost in the process. I forgot my digicam, but Target pulled out his and took this pic for prosparity:

dremel_02.jpg

Isn't it a lovely triangle? :D

Target will be modding his side pannel before I mod my case top. After a few more test runs we should be ready to jack his case.... er... i mean... mod his case to perfection haha.

wow looks like fun :p
i wish i had the time and money to do something like this

ps:did u get any storms from all the huricane action going on in florida?

jinxnate said:
ps:did u get any storms from all the huricane action going on in florida?

Ugp, please don't remind me :mad: I JUST moved to Fla. 2 weeks before Charlie hit >.<

Anyways, I have taken all of my photos for the Coolermaster Stacker, Side window and Blower review. I am writing it up now and will have it on [H] as soon as its done. Expect it to be VERY detailed. Beware 56k! :D

That's awesome man. Any idea how much you spent on parts? More than a lot of people could afford, I'm guessing :p

Can't wait to see what happens. Will be keeping a close eye on this thread :)

Im sorry if I missed something, but who are you doing this review/ comparison for? Those will be some sweet rigs. What memory will you be using?

qulAKle said:
Im sorry if I missed something, but who are you doing this review/ comparison for? Those will be some sweet rigs. What memory will you be using?

Initially, the reviews are for all you guys here at [H]. Later, the reviews are for a future site I am working on. Just another computer reviews site to add to the pile of many. It's still a ways down the road though....

I will post many of them here on [H] for everyone though, as long as admin don't have a problem with that. ^_^

A complete list of goodies is coming today. Memory is Crucial Ballistix PC4000.

As for the total cost of the rigs, I haven't added that up yet. It's going to be alittle more though, since I doubled up on some things.... 4 video cards was a big chunk as it is >.<
It's ok though..... SOMEONE hasta suffer right? I'll take the fall for you guys :D

yeah we dropped the fucking dremel hand tool whatcamacallit. somehow sel thoguht we could place it on a chair and it wouldnt fall or something.. rofl its cool

hey looksseeee! its my garage1

sooo like i said i still start letting ppl have dibs on the vid cards rofl

*sneaky mode*

Can you plug your providers? That is, list the products bought to where you got them? I'm curious.

RS3RS said:
That's awesome man. Any idea how much you spent on parts? More than a lot of people could afford, I'm guessing :p

Can't wait to see what happens. Will be keeping a close eye on this thread :)

he got a business loan rofl

The Cooler Master Stacker Case Review is up! It's in its own thread wich you can access by clicking here! The Please post stacker specific questions there.

Crossflow fan and Window panel reviews are also coming later tonight. :D

The Cross Flow fan & Side Window for Stacker reviews have been posted! You can access them both by clicking here! The reviews are in their own thread. If you have any questions about the items in the review, please ask them in that thread.

Thanks!

More Project Stackers info coming soon. Like I said, the review and photograph process is a little time consuming. However I feel it is most beneficial for the community as a whole to have good product reviews. :)

Lots of reviews are in the works. I have taken alot of pics and I am running alot of tests. Both stock installs are complete and in the testing phase now :) A few minor hick-ups but otherwise very clean installations. Will update soon with all the dirty details. :D

I think I just shat my pants when I saw this picture, wait lemme check...

Yeah thats a big 10-4...

Good luck on a very expensive endevour :)

You peed ur pants. I shitted in my pants. Seeing hardware makes me... get sexual with myself.

Lol im jk. Awesome stuff. Love the cards and all that hhhaarddwaaare (hardware). I am poor, pls send me any unused stuff. PLEASE. I Beg u. I will make websites under your name thanking you.

Edit: Woops u said shitted too. Well we both got dirty somewhere.

Can't wait to see how this rounds up. :)

I should get my case eventually this week. Hopefully I'll have luck with the rest of the shit I ordered. :mad:

Back