Half Life 2 First Review *56k users beware*

Must.. resist.. urge.. to read.. look..

Okay.. I looked.. damn.. and OMG does that look like the coolest game of all time.. Damn you for posting that!

nice. wish I had saved the cash I blew on Doom. :mad:

oh yeah, forgot I get it "free" thanx to ATI, heh

thanks for the pictures, looks good.

but we're still a little more than a month out for this game. dangit.

I subcribe to Pc Gamer and i forgot that pic in the excitement of the moment lol :D

IMG_2071.JPG

is that issue out in the stores yet? ima go pick it up right now if it is!!!!!

"arguably the best game ever made"...hopefully theyre just building useless hype like they did with doom3

Isn't this the same magazine that gave doom 3 a 97%?

saying a game is 1% better then doom 3 isn't much of a complement... :p

PC Gamer Magazine said:
"practically anything that is nailed down has the potential to become an Unidentified Flung object"

Holy shit, that is what makes a game cool for me...

There is nothing more I hate than shooting the shit out of a chair or something and have it just sit there untouched... :mad:

Thanks for those pics! ;)

mcryptic said:

lol, :p

mcryptic said:

True, seems like reviewers were caught up in the hype on Doom 3 and let that get into their heads.
But, I predict that Half-Life 2 deserves a 98% and you guys can quote me on that when the game actually comes out.

nice, if this game even comes out :x
no mean to thread crap but seriously...its valve. :(
something is bound to happen.

anybody notice that sholin monk mortal kombat thing?
i hear thats gonna be mortal kombat 7 ;x

mcryptic said:

true... but i am sure they remembered who buys advertising space in their mag...

Cardboard Hammer said:
"Surpasses Half-Life in every way." Really? Wow!

Oh wait... How freaking old is Half-Life? :rolleyes:
LOL. I think they mean in terms of gameplay and innovation (story innovation that is).

How did the first one end? I never got around to beating it. I played it to the very end and then my PC crashed. I never got back to installing it. This was oh I'd say about 4 years ago. LOL

mcryptic said:

PC Gamer gave D3 a 94%.

This is the first I have heard of anyone thinking HL2 may be anything other than Godly. This game is way overhyped.

Wow! cool! Thanks for posting. 98% is pretty high if you ask me. I'm excited to buy HL2, however

1. I am still NOT impressed with the texturing in this game AT ALL.

But I wil still get it. :D

when is a new Team Fortress coming out? I remember seeing pics of it like in 2000

theNoid said:
Wow! cool! Thanks for posting. 98% is pretty high if you ask me. I'm excited to buy HL2, however

you haven't played the new CS:S maps then, because the texturing is amazing. best ive seen in a game yet, but then im using an x800xt with 8x aniso. it looks beautiful over here.

also this isn't the first review of hl2 revealed. pc gamer UK also reviewed it and gave it a 96%, and pc format gave it a 96% as well.

theNoid said:

yea you have to remeber its a magazine .and im talking it with a 3.2 mp camera.... quality gets crappier .. i think it will look lots better in the real game

Can you get a good shot on the post of HL: Source? Man.. I'm soooo buying this copy when it comes out. *drool*

is it me or do the screenshots of the 2 combine soldiers fighting the ant lion in the large room and freeman fighting an ant lion in what appears to be a kitchen look pretty damn real?

wow definately looks to be worth the money from me, even if people will claim it to be another "tech demo" like doom3 :p

oh, and will i finally get to use my 9600xt's free HL2 voucher? or was that only for the CS:S beta?

retardedchicken said:
is it me or do the screenshots of the 2 combine soldiers fighting the ant lion in the large room and freeman fighting an ant lion in what appears to be a kitchen look pretty damn real?

wow definately looks to be worth the money from me, even if people will claim it to be another "tech demo" like doom3 :p

oh, and will i finally get to use my 9600xt's free HL2 voucher? or was that only for the CS:S beta?
you can use your coupon to get hl2, i think you can play css as soon as you make the purchase

So I have to buy Halo 2...and this?! Argh...Chances are i'll only have money for one, and I see myself diggin' Halo 2 way more :D We shall see...

[BB] Rick James said:
How did the first one end? I never got around to beating it. I played it to the very end and then my PC crashed. I never got back to installing it. This was oh I'd say about 4 years ago. LOL

You fight Xen or what ever his name is.... then you get teleported and i think you are on like a rail car again... and the g-man is with you, and he just talks about how there are many more jobs for you.

Then its just like:

Subject: Gordon Freeman

Or something like that.

I'm expecting great things from this game, but I'm not trusting their numbers...

Is it true that they rated Doom 3 a 94%? The only way D3 deserves a 94% is if the scale went to 200.

WickedAngel said:
I'm expecting great things from this game, but I'm not trusting their numbers...

Is it true that they rated Doom 3 a 94%? The only way D3 deserves a 94% is if the scale went to 200.

agreed

I think it was a cop-out 94 so people wouldn't yell at them.

weezer said:
agreed

I think it was a cop-out 94 so people wouldn't yell at them.
they did say that the pros were only the graphics sound, atmosphere.
and really it is a scary game, it just doesnt stay scary, it gets tedious.
wasnt worth a 94 but definatly an 80, maybe high 80, some people certainly loved it. probably gave that score because they got the exlusive first review.

S1N3R6Y said:
LOL. I think they mean in terms of gameplay and innovation (story innovation that is).

i'm not hating on half-life, i'm hating on the "amazing storyline" it had. i mean, what story innovation? guy fights aliens and gov't to stay alive. not that terribly revolutionary in story. just saying.

but, gov't resistence and guns and machine guns and aliens and fighting i'm all for. story immersion, enviroment, graphics. sign me up! but story innovation? ehhhh not so much.

the flames dont look all that impressive....

source engine is wierd...sometimes im wowed, and sometimes it looks like high poly HL1

Back