hmm, performance wise, the epia wouldn't be my choice :)

I'd rather go for those sweet Pentium-M mini ITX boards intead :D

NAMM! (Not Another Mashie Mod!) :D

Looks like it will be quite cool once it's finished. How do you have the time and money to do so many projects?

I like it, I like it... Definetely better than turning your old P233 mmx into a fileserver...

Oh, and you've read Night's Dawn, haven't you?

sexiest file server I have seen in a while. I am about to have to build one too, but I think my cash flow will limit me to way less than that...

Little Grabbi said:
Oh, and you've read Night's Dawn, haven't you?
Yeah, I got all books by Peter F Hamilton, Night's Dawn being the best soo far.

i must say, this is a pretty impressive one. While your other mods have had some genuine quality to them, this looks to be the first that is purely function over form. I'm impressed by it to say the least.

What else do you have in store for it? And good job. :)

*cries* (P)
Well, here we go! Geez, there used to be a few months between Mashie mods, now he's just rolling out one after another :p It looks good so far! I wish I had this kind of money :( Where'd that conversion kit come from, anyway? It looks really handy!

Hey Mashie, I saw you hooking up the drives have you powered it up yet?

CrimandEvil said:
Hey Mashie, I saw you hooking up the drives have you powered it up yet?
Yep, I'm currently installing XP.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes to format the 750GB partition. The system is on a small 2GB partition.

Cool, I was wondering if that little PSU could handle all that.

Hows that Raidcore handle on regular PCI so far? I've been wanting to get one but I don't want to get a PCI-X board and all just for it (thinking of a similar SSF size system).

I can't believe we're already getting another one mashie. I guess I never really think about the actual size of those SFF systems - they're bigger than I always think they are....when I first saw the RAID I was thinking "there's no way that'll fit in there." wrong as usual :)

Is this actually going to be a pure-function mod or will you be doing some creative and artistic stuff to it?

so what drives are in that? (or did i just miss it?) and windows XP on a fileserver? w/e... as long as you use the disk manager in system tools to setup the partition/format, it shouldn't take too long.

have fun!

mashie said:
Well since the mobo died in Syrinix over the weekend a new linux box will be needed as well...

Will have to add a little bit of creativity in the mix I think, not 100% sure what yet.
Linux is good :D

Man, that is a cool mod there. Y'know, you can store lots of pr0n in 750GBs :D

And you just whacked me with the idiot stick Mashie. I didn't know that PCI-X cards would work in plain jane PCI slots.

it would take an awful lot of modding to get that dual xeon inside the Udat case, so i guess sticking with the epia is a good idea.

what're you planning for the xeon board?

That's a shame ... note, I've heard about a DFI mini ITX Pentium-M board, which would be a killer setup for your Udat ... but the price tag would also belong to another realm ...

edit : here's a pic :
11161.jpg

there's a review of that motherboard :

http://www.x86-secret.com/popups/articleswindow.php?id=108

( sorry, it's in french :D )

Thanks Mashie, I've never played with PCI-X boards and cards so I didn't know what to expect. Helpful info for a future build I'm planning.

ooo I was looking at doing something like this for a while. But I couldn't find a solution to the cpu problem. The Mini-Itx solutions weren't powerful enough and a bit pricey. I considered a P3 or P4 solution using one of the mobos on servercase
but I couldn't be sure using a 1u HSF would be adequate. So I would be real interested to see how you get this to work at its full potential. This would make a nice redundant music/music video server. :D

Mashie, you have done it again. I think you need a new [H] title. Mod|Gawd :p

Dude, that's just an awesome mod. A nice compact file server, love the touch with the key start too. I personally like this mod more than Doom3 Hell Inside. A friend of mine would be drooling all over something like that, (He stores ALOT of data).

Nice work, definetely like the "Form over Function" idea, although i would have taken it a bit further (featureless black cube, with one of those "touch switches" that work by measuing the potential difference between them and ground).

A+ work!

If you switch to a 3ware RAID card, you could relieve the processor from having to do the XOR checking (I'm 99% sure the BC4852 card does not have a dedicated XOR engine on the card). It would probably mess with the economics of this project (the 8 port 3ware card is $500) but still... and beware of the BC4852 cards dropping WD HDs (there is a thread in the storage forum here someone had problems with WD drives and the BC cards, its also been noted at the AVS forums by many vocal members there).

Also, FWIW, seagate just annouced they're shipping 400GB drives, so you could in theory have a 2TB (5x400) RAID 5 array in there as well (1.6T usable space). Mmmmm 2TB in a small box like that...

Back