Where did you find the key starter? That looks pretty nice... I'm considering making one of these myself because of necessity... but I will wait till there is a gigabit solution.

Excellent work, since your looking at upgrading the ITX to something with a bit more kick I thought I'd link this in here behold
6.7" x 6.7" (170 mm x 170 mm) Intel Pentium 4 Prescott LGA775 CPU mini-ITX Motherboard with DDRII memory support, CRT SVGA, DUAL GIGA LAN, Mini-PCI, PCI-Express, 4-port SATA with RAID, IEEE 1394, 8 bit GPIO, Audio and DOC interfaces
Overkill since you already have a raid card, but it's something interesting to look at.

GodSpeed said:
Where did you find the key starter? That looks pretty nice... I'm considering making one of these myself because of necessity... but I will wait till there is a gigabit solution.

that's probably just any old momentary key switch... there are hundreds, check out your local mom+pop electronis store, or google some.

this is really awesome ... you could make lots of money by mass producing these for those who express interest :D

Ok so im a little confused, I have seen a few different versions of that SATA hotswap device. Compare these two pictures:

ss35-f.jpg

Compared with this one:
8841.jpg

The top one i can tell has status LED's on it, as far as I can tell the one Mashie is using does not have status LED's on the unit itself. I think I like the model without status LED's and doing it the way mashie did with the LED's custom installed on the case. However for the sake of comparison I found this Hotswap device with Status LED's at directron. If I used this one I would not have any status led's on the case, which would look best?

directron_1816_87333844

(Status LED's are little dots at bottom)

my question is where did you get the raid card and how much did it cost? i'm in the process of building a new file server and 3ware cards are to expensive for me right now :( plus, does the BC4852 have good linux support?

runt said:
my question is where did you get the raid card and how much did it cost? i'm in the process of building a new file server and 3ware cards are to expensive for me right now :( plus, does the BC4852 have good linux support?
I bought it from eBay, don't remember the price since I did it back in spring.

And as for drivers:
Support for Windows™ 2000, 2003, and XP, and Red Hat™ Linux™ 9, Enterprise 3.0, and Fedora Core 1

Originally Posted by ashed
Excellent work, since your looking at upgrading the ITX to something with a bit more kick I thought I'd link this in here behold

Overkill since you already have a raid card, but it's something interesting to look at.
Hi there Mashie & [H]'ers!

Great SFF mod Mashie! since ashed stated this Prescott Mini-ITX above, I can't help to notice whether its the same as the one made by Commel (LV-672). I am using that board for a Turn-Key project solution for the Gaming Center Industry. Very Powerful(tm) for an mini-ITX. It does offer dual gigabit LAN, so bandwidth is not an issue, although you're quite correct on the Prescott oven criteria on an SFF scenario! :D

Keep up the great work! you inspire alot of [H]'ers around the world!

- KrulL

This is a very fine project. I always loved smal cases and now I'm reconsidering my chose for a file-server (CM Stacker).
It's a pretty simple mod (not negative) but a great result.

What are the temperatures in the case and of the drives??

What key-slot did you use for the power?

I'd like to have one of those for all my data.

How much did it run throughout the whole project?

mashie said:
I bought it from eBay, don't remember the price since I did it back in spring.

And as for drivers:

i will have to dig through a gentoo kernel compile to see about drivers for it then.

Wow - hadn't noticed this thread before :rolleyes: Gotta say your file server is considerably smaller than my beast! (1/4 the size?) Nice job!

Got any plans for the next T? I'm going to bottom out before long..... :rolleyes:

PS-RagE said:
Got any plans for the next T? I'm going to bottom out before long..... :rolleyes:

YOU?? Run out of hard drive space? And I thought 80 Gb was big! How many DVD's have you ripped to that beast anyway, Rage? :p

You can never have enough hard drive space. After seeing a similar thing on newegg using firewire/usb2, i'd been trying to figure out how to get a TB into a shuttle box. I''ve been thinking of sticking a p3 1Ghz or low end athlon mobile into a shuttle box or so and mouting drives on the top and sides. Possibly even building my own case to fit. This works great, although I wonder if a p3 or p4 mini-itx would work. 1U HSF.... half height SATA controller....
too bad SATA still costs a bit more than IDE....

5 x 400GB Seagate in RAID 5 runnin debian.....
1.6TB Net space.... music... music videos... anime... dvd backups.... raw tivo space....
or back up of my current rackmounted TeraByte server.....
And its stackable!

Props to old skool DC Talk!

I'm so confused. I don't know what to do anymore. I had planned to build me a dual Cooler Master CM Stacker server with a Dual PIII-1.26GHz for my web/mail/ftp/dns/download server. And in the other case a Dual Xeon Nonoca 2.8GHz 800MHz FSB for a workstation and later as a home server.

Looking at this project I've started to thing about the powerconsumption. Maybe I'll replace the home server for something simular like this project.

What exactly are the point of these systems? and how do they work?
Sorry I have no knowledge of what your doing all I know is that you have 5 hard drives in 1 sff...

Mashie, I just have to know who makes that Hot swap cage kit. I'm wanting to do something similar to an old Antec case I Have sitting around here. I need to know who makes it so I can find a dealer here in the states with it.

Oh really? That actually sounds perfect, since Im bad at Windows I often get my windows corrupted and have t do a reformat, hence I lose all my data, but with this all my files or on seperate drives, and windows can just be on one internal small drive...

Any links on how to set these bad boys up?

Back