Dual 3.0GHZ 64-bit Xeons, 2.4TB SATA HD RAID, Dual PCIe, LARGE PICS 56k B Warned

hardwarephreak

[H]ard|Gawd
One of our larger clients recently purchased this rackmount/pedestal server for, well I can't say what it's for, but you can tell by what they bought that they are concerned about storage and they require 64-bit (Linux baby). There was some really new tech in this box, 300GB SATAs 16MB Cache (x8), 64-bit Xeons (EM64T), 4GBs of ECC/Reg DDR2, a very very nice chasis that had a set of 3x 760Watt Redundant Hot Swap Power Supplies. 8-Channel Adaptec controller, a very large capacity sony tape drive, Plextor 712, adn of course the floppy. In the end this computer cost more than my car did, and we aint talking Geo Metro.

Well I have been sitting on these pics for a couple weeks (been too lazy to resize them down). I finally had some free time, so I busted out the camera and here they are. Just post questions if you got'em.

You cant see it, but off camera a puddle of drool had formed from techs walking by and staring.
toys.jpg

Alright, as we are in the Case mod section of the forum, we all know how important a good case is...well it doesn't get any better than this (Well it might, but Supermicro doesn't make them any better) 3x 760Watt Redundant/Hot Swap Power Supplies, 8x Hotswap SATA caddies, 6x Hotswap/hot-pluggable fans (needs to be incoporated into some standard case mods me thinks). Overall it is one heavy bastard.
casefrntempty.jpg

casesideempty.jpg

redun760.jpg

hotswapfan.jpg

rearfanhot.jpg

Shot of the removable drive cage which can be rotated depending on if you are using this in a rack or as a std. tower.
drivecage.jpg

2.4TB of storage...lots of MP3s or email huh. 8x 300GB drives, 7 of them in RAID 5 with 1 as a hotspare.

hdstack.jpg

300gbHD.jpg

300gbHDclose.jpg

Definitely a thing of beauty. Dual PCIe, Dual Xeon, up to 16GB DDR2...very nice.
mobolrg.jpg

Not a very high end Quadro (VCQFX1300), but a nice card none the less. Most of the workstations we put together had PNY 980XGLs.
vid3.jpg

Dual 3.0GHz 1MB 800FSB 64-bit Xeons (EM64T). Intel 64-bit up close (too bad they don't do 64-bit as well as AMD)...in a couple weeks we should be getting in some of the new 3.8GHz desktop P4s with the 64-bit extensions.
scsincpu.jpg

satacntr.jpg

This stuff was pretty hard to get a hold of, I had to cancel two overnight orders from Kingston because they couldn't gurantee they could get it out. In the end one of my vendors came through for me. 4x 1GB Kingston ECC/Reg DDR2.
ram.jpg

Alright here are some pics of it during construction, don't have too many as I was focused on the task at hand but you can see it come together

Mobo is mounted
mobomounted.jpg

CPU HSF and installed
cpuhsf.jpg

2cpu.jpg

HD mounting, hotswap bays, SATA backplane, SATA cables (mess)
hotswapbays.jpg

hdincaddy.jpg

satabackplane.jpg

satacables.jpg

satacableshang.jpg

PNY card & Adaptec RAID installed...look at that lonely PCIe card...it just wants another friend to play with (maybe down the road).
emptypcix.jpg

Some finshing pics, things done and mounted and zip tied.
contruct1.jpg

sidedone.jpg

sidedoneclsoe.jpg

closeupdone.jpg

frontcomplete.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the pics...L8R

Thanks,

You know, looking at that last pic reminds me of what a bunch of us thought at the time. I remember thinking..damn, spend all that money and you still have mismatched drive colors. Only in the computer industry are there 30 different takes on the color beige. :rolleyes:

Wow i bet that cost ALOT of money. 2.4 terabytes of storage *Drools* Thats a really good wiring job for having that many wires. Must of been hell trying to find someplace to put them.

Omfg, the sweetness :D Chassis aint so beautifull =/
/me wants

Did it cost both legs and arms, or just one?

I can't give out specifics but I'll put the price tag over $10,000.

i.e. both arms and legs, plus a kidney. :D

I sat there for about 10min just thinking about where the cables needed to go. I would have to thank Supermicro...they left about a 1/4" under the four hotwap fans, enough for some power cables, and the SCSI, IDE, and Floppy cables.

Like I said, this wasn't for me...I couldn't afford this without taking out a second mortgage and selling a car. That and my wife would probably leave me.

A client of ours needed a new server. They had some pretty hefty requirements, and they basically wanted the latest of everything.

Here is a link to the case and the motherboard.

MOBO:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon800/E7525/X6DA8-G2.cfm

CHASIS:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/743/SC743T-R760.cfm

Hey, don't hate me I just put the thing together and made it work :p

And those SATA cables...man..I had those things fed all over the place...tried under the fans, but it put too much of an angle on the cables where they connected to the backplane. 8x Sata cables are more difficult to manipulate then I think some people are aware...IDE cables, hell you can fold those over on themselves...

And I bet you had trouble giving the machine to him, ey? :D

Though case is ugly d= Could choose better one imho.

Btw, what was the weight of eet? :D

If envy's an ugly thing, I'm looking really ugly right now.

Oh well, I don't care, I have a better-looking case anyway. :p

Well of course there are better looking cases out there, but when was the last time you saw a rackmount that wasn't utilitarian in design. :D These things aren't supposed to look cool. They are supposed to have a specific feature set and thats it. If you were to go look at the cheapest rackmount case that newegg sells. And then compare that to one that was, say $100 more expensive, there would be some added features, but the case wouldn't have any better of an asthetic design (well not much, I guess black would have been an improvement :p ). Then you look at this case which is several hundred more and the incredible feature set it includes...and then you realize...damn...it is one bad ass case.

hardwarephreak said:
Well of course there are better looking cases out there, but when was the last time you saw a rackmount that wasn't utilitarian in design. :D These things aren't supposed to look cool. [...]

Its æsthetics (or lack thereof) are all that's stopping me descending into major jealousy. At least let me believe that looks are more important than specs for the sake of my sanity. :D

[...] but the case wouldn't have any better of an asthetic design (well not much, I guess black would have been an improvement :p ). Then you look at this case which is several hundred more and the incredible feature set it includes...and then you realize...damn...it is one bad ass case.

My old Supermicro SC830 case was a bit too much concentrated beige for one place until it got windowed and repainted with black Hammerite. It still looks like a monolithic great lump, but it's now marginally less unattractive!

Seriously nice machine you've put together, though. For me, the hot-swap bays are the thing that really finishes it off nicely.

Edit: just out of curiosity, does that Adaptec card use battery backup? I only ask as I'm discussing that subject elsewhere, as I'm using a 2410SA for RAID and wish I could use writeback for performance reasons, but daren't as there's no option for preserving memory in the event of a power/PSU failure.

Hey hardwarefreak. Got a ? about that case. Is that an airduct running from the HD cages out the back of the case? If so that's freakin badass.

just out of curiosity, does that Adaptec card use battery backup? I only ask as I'm discussing that subject elsewhere, as I'm using a 2410SA for RAID and wish I could use writeback for performance reasons, but daren't as there's no option for preserving memory in the event of a power/PSU failure.

Yeah I always loved the 830/850s...they have lots of room to play. As far as the battery backup on the controller...nope...and I specifically asked them about that, but apparently they didtn't feel that level of redundancy was necessary. They feel that there massive ups and the 3x PS will be enough. I told them freakier (sp?) things have happened. :D Funny, I had that conversation pop into my head as I was building their array...right at the point where it tells me that utilizing the advanced features such as writeback would cause problems in the event of power loss...all I could do was shrug and turn it off.

Hey hardwarefreak. Got a ? about that case. Is that an airduct running from the HD cages out the back of the case? If so that's freakin badass.

Well here's the thing with the ducting. It allows you to use a 1U or 2U rated heatsink without the needs for direct cooling on the heatsink. The four fans blow enough air through their to keep them cool. For me though, the retail Xeons we got were std., so in the end the ducting stayed on the floor and never made it back into the case.

My keyboard just blew up from my saliva.....

one question though...with such a large 'budget' (if you can call it a budget) why not Quad Opterons?

Opterons lacked the PCI Express support, and even more so the dual PCIe X16 (er x8 if you want to get technical). The customer wanted one card now with plans to add another one...actually since my original post they are looking at adding another.. :p

hmmm ok fair enough. this must be the kinda guy that you would love to have as an uncle or somethin.....damn i need a rich ass uncle

No problem about the pics, didn't even know they were down. Last time I had checked the thread had gone way past the first page...

Rich uncle? Hell I'll take anyone that is even remotely related to me being rich. Rich enough to buy me a couple of these boxes as toys :p

Very nice. I really want a case with sata backplane for my computer.. I use it as a fileserver for my xbox (has games plus videos and music etc) Currently having 5 sata disks plus one ata.. I think removable hotswap disks would be very cool. Rackmount too :)

But.. very expensive. I should be happy if I once very as lucky as you and could build one of those real power computers. Must have been fun,

who in the world needs 2.4tb of storage..holy shit. You could hold every movie and every song and game from the past 4 years lol :p

Yea 2.4tb thats alot of space.
eek.gif

My backup music collection isn't even more then 10gigs.

Damn nice system.

"too bad they don't do 64-bit as well as AMD"

ummm....ok......where do you get this info? Intels 64 bit is just as good as AMD (not much differnce.

Thanks about the cables...yeah I'm just thankful it wasn't a 16 channel card...twice as many SATA cables would have been a serious PITA.

Holy shit. That is amazing. I think i just creamed myself... no wait... that's toothpaste on my pants :\

But ya. I want this beast.

"re: Holy shit. That is amazing. I think i just creamed myself... no wait... that's toothpaste on my pants :\ " --yuck thats disgusting.....:eek:

I wonder if you can play Far Cry on that... :D

Heh..no really, that thing is a beast if I've ever seen one. Which I have..by have I mean not. :D

Any who..., I don't know anything about servers, but I do know that that must be a really good/expensive computer.

Back