2005FPW vs. 2001FP, side by side pics to compare

fallguy

2[H]4U
Ok, so I have a 2001FP and 2005FPW. First I want to say that to my knowledge both are in perfect working order. No "screen door" effect, bleeding, dead pixels that I can see, or any other defects that some people have.

Also, I am not very good at photography..

First lets start with a side by side from the front shot.

2005FPW-1.jpg

Tilted 90 degrees.

2005FPW-2.JPG

Back view.

2005FPW-3.JPG

Side view/

2005FPW-4.JPG

2001FP buttons.

2005FPW-6.JPG

2005FPW buttons.

2001FPW-7.JPG

2001FP USB ports on the left side.

2005FPW-8.JPG

2005FPW USB ports on the right side.

2005FPW-9.JPG

Connections of the 2001FP.

2005FPW-10.JPG

Connections of the 2005FPW.

2005FPW-11.JPG

Some HL2 pics in-game.

Pic one:

http://home.comcast.net/~aquacomputer/2005FPW/FS-1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~aquacomputer/2005FPW/WS-1.jpg

Pic two:

http://home.comcast.net/~aquacomputer/2005FPW/FS-2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~aquacomputer/2005FPW/WS-2.jpg

Pick three;

http://home.comcast.net/~aquacomputer/2005FPW/FS-3.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~aquacomputer/2005FPW/WS-3.jpg

Its best to open them up seperatly and flip back and forth. Or you can view this pic which someone has fixed to compare both in one shot.

I also took some of the LCD with the game going. Same shot as the in-game ones I pasted.

2001FP 1600x1200
2001HL-1.JPG

2005FPW 1680x1050
2005HL-1.JPG

2001FP 1600x1200
2001HL-2.JPG

2005FPW 1680x1050
2005HL-2.JPG

2001FP 1600x1200
2001HL-3.JPG

2005FPW 1680x1050
2005HL-3.JPG

As you can see, there are a few differences between the two LCD's other than the obvious panel difference. Weither or not the small, subtle changes make a difference is up to you. They really dont to me, other than the different buttons. The 2005's are smaller, sleeker, and dont have two bright LED's in your face. It also has a number for the connection it is using, which is nice if you change often. The Dell logo is also smaller, and sleeker looking on the 2005 vs. the 2001. Its a shiny silver, not a dull gray. As shown in the pics, the 2001's USB are on the left, and the 2005's is on the right. The 2001 has the USB symbol on the silver part of the panel, the 2005 has it back by the ports on the black. The 2001 uses a power brick, where as the 2005 doesnt. The 2001 does extend a lot higher than the 2005. The 2001's stand is also round, where as the 2005's is more square. You can interchange them though, I tried it. No idea why they did these small changes, most can be seen as pointless. I guess they had some reason though.

As far as games, and movies go, to be honest I cant really tell a difference. They both look great, I havent noticed any ghosting with either. As you can see, HL2 looks amazing in WS, and you can see more of the game. My frames are a little lower though, as you can see in 2 out of the 3 screen shots. The settings I used were all maxed out in the game, with reflect all selected. 4xAA and 8xAF selected in game, and the highest quality selected in the drivers.

Anyhow, I hope this helps those that are trying to decide on which to get. I was on the fence.. so I got both. First got the 2001, and was happy with it. But I really wanted a WS LCD. The Dellf game came up, and I got this 2005 too. When I was trying to pick which I wanted, I couldnt find a side by side comparison. Hopefully I helped someone. :)

It's suprising to see that HL2 was really programmed with widescreen in mind, as only with the 2005FPW can you play the game in it's "OAR." One thing I can't stand is to watch 16x9 content get butchered by the 4x3 aspect ratio, which is why I refuse to buy and watch DVDs that are "full screen." This is a welcome and unexpected benefit of the 2005fpw.

Another shocker is that you get less fps on the 2005fpw. I was thinking that the lack of total pixels would result in an increase in framerate over the 2001fp.

very nicely done comparison...although ive already taken the dive myself ^^ (ordered the 2005fpw). i have a few questions for you though. which do you prefer overall? also, im curious as to what your graphics board/cpu are. im running a 2600+ and an OCd 9600XT. i took a look at the system in your sig but i can figure out what its specs are because all you had were pics ;) but im sure its better than mine...anyway. the only concern i have is that my computer wont be able to run it (CSS/HL2) at 1680. since 1680x1050 is pretty close to 1600x1200, can we expect similar performance between the two resolutions? if this is the case, i might have a slight problem because my box can pull down consistently playable framerates in HL2/CSS at no higher than 1024.... :( oh well. gotta get that X800Pro and hope my cpu isnt too much of a bottleneck i guess :) one final question; how does the screen scale down in res? i might be forced to run it in 1280x768 (if HL2/CSS support that res) for performance sake. thanks!

I really need to update that site with specs..

Im on a [email protected]. 6800GT@435/1.18, 2x512 HyperX PC4000, and MSI K8N Neo Platnium.

At 1680x1050 you can see in those pics I get lower frames than at 1600x1200. I cant run any of the [H] timedemos, or any others, because HL2 updated, and is a different version now. So I cant compare with timedemos, unless I make my own. Im hoping Anand or [H] update theirs, to save me the trouble. :) If they dont, Ill make some probably over the weekend or something, and run them for you.

edit, I should also add those shots were take at 4xAA/8xAF, with every game setting set to the highest, with reflect all. Drivers were set to max quality as well.

fallguy,
thanks for the nice comparison.

Re: the 90degs pic with both panels in portrait mode. Could u align the inside screen up, so we can see the relative width (or rather length) of each panel.

Re: the wide screen even with fewer pixels has a lower fps.
Is this due to the larger FOV that is used in widescreen gaming?
Can u force the 2001FP to play at the same FOV as the 2005FPW to check if the lower fps is due to the computer and video card having to process more information at the sides for the widescreen format.

I am really worried about the backlight leakage. Please post a purely black screenshot.

How is the 2005FPW with Doom 3?

WickedWeasel said:
fallguy,
Re: the wide screen even with fewer pixels has a lower fps.
Is this due to the larger FOV that is used in widescreen gaming?
Can u force the 2001FP to play at the same FOV as the 2005FPW to check if the lower fps is due to the computer and video card having to process more information at the sides for the widescreen format.

I am really worried about the backlight leakage. Please post a purely black screenshot.

that sounds about right... since 16:10 requires an FOV of > 90, i would assume that the system has to push out more bandwidth than 4:3 with an FOV of 90 or less... i did some research about FOV on 4:3 games, unreal engine usually has 90 and quake-ish engines have around 80, switching the res to 16:10 mode means the FOV goes up to 100+... i've got a proper formula for those who want them "perfect"... i posted it over at widescreengamingforums,

i also want to see the backlight, if theres any leakage, i'm gettin mine either by friday or monday, i'm hoping ill have it for the weekend :eek:

Any chance you can take a close up pic of both so I can see this so called "screen door" effect?

What happens when you play an "older" game, or one that is not WS optimized on the 2005FP? I'm very close to getting my first LCD monitor and what do you know, it's between both of these.

amheck said:
What happens when you play an "older" game, or one that is not WS optimized on the 2005FP? I'm very close to getting my first LCD monitor and what do you know, it's between both of these.

You have a choice to either stretch the game or to play with black bars on the left and right.

Nice comparision. I love widescreens now. that is why I got the 23" HP L2335

agentzero9 said:
You have a choice to either stretch the game or to play with black bars on the left and right.

how do you force it to 4:3? right click on the desktop and just change the res? or do you go through the screen OSD or through a program or what? thanks. mine hasnt arrived yet but when it does this'll be helpful to know ahed of time

I dont have a screen door effect.. so it wont matter. :)

QUOTE=agentzero9]You have a choice to either stretch the game or to play with black bars on the left and right.[/QUOTE]

Depends on the engine. Most games can be configured to work in WS. Really old games probably wont, depends on the engine.

Ill try to get some more pics this weekend, of different games and such. It takeslonger to compare games that dont support WS officially out of the box, because you have to edit a game file. HL2 all I had to do was switch resolutions, and load up a game. Easy.

Also try to get some DVD shots, Ive got The Matrix, so I can try that as requested. Ill toss in Shrek 2, and Spider-Man 2 as well.

I've got the 2001FP .. I just ordered the 2005FPW, I'm going to use the FPW as my TV :)

Any chance you could post a picture with the monitors in portrait mode but at the same height (either tops lining up or bottoms lining up) so we can see how much longer the 2005FPW is than the 2000FP? Also, can you tell me how much shorter in height of visible screen roughly the 2005FPW is compared to the 2000FP?

I just placed an order for mine... right now I'm on a 3-year-old 15" LCD with a 50ms response time... can't wait for my 2005FPW to come in :)!

GoldenTiger said:
Any chance you could post a picture with the monitors in portrait mode but at the same height (either tops lining up or bottoms lining up) so we can see how much longer the 2005FPW is than the 2000FP? Also, can you tell me how much shorter in height of visible screen roughly the 2005FPW is compared to the 2000FP?
The 2005FPW is 1" wider than the 2001FP and is 1.4" shorter. If you have a 17" SXGA LCD around, it has virtually the same height as the 2005FPW.

I too am trying to decide between these two LCDs. Whichever one i get, it will be my first LCD monitor and im hoping it will last a good long time. My main focus will be gaming and movies will be a distant second.

I just dont want to run into a bunch of problems with having to stretch games if i go with the 2005. Hearing that playing with two black bars on each side, like a reversed letterbox format, wouldnt be too bad i guess.

Anyone have any further perspectives on the gaming pluses/minuses of these two monitors?

Van said:
I too am trying to decide between these two LCDs. Whichever one i get, it will be my first LCD monitor and im hoping it will last a good long time. My main focus will be gaming and movies will be a distant second.

I just dont want to run into a bunch of problems with having to stretch games if i go with the 2005. Hearing that playing with two black bars on each side, like a reversed letterbox format, wouldnt be too bad i guess.

Anyone have any further perspectives on the gaming pluses/minuses of these two monitors?

You can change the aspect ratio on the 2005.

Thats for the comparison fallguy.

Fallguy,

I have a request. Don't know if you still have both monitors but I'll ask anyway. Could you post a pic of both monitors showing a DVD movie? I want to know want the advantage of the 2005fpw is, over the 2001fp in DVD playback. My guess is that the size (without the black bars) is about the same, I just want to see :D .

TNX!

I saw off another post on one site(forgot the link) that they lowered the cost of the 2005fpw because in february dell is going to introduce the "2405FP" i think that was the model number, and ITS GOING TO BE A 24" LCD!!! for around 800/900 i heard......but no guarantees yet. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

thanks for review, but i might want to wait for this 24" baby!

laxmiddi44 said:
I saw off another post on one site(forgot the link) that they lowered the cost of the 2005fpw because in february dell is going to introduce the "2405FP" i think that was the model number, and ITS GOING TO BE A 24" LCD!!! for around 800/900 i heard......but no guarantees yet. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

thanks for review, but i might want to wait for this 24" baby!

Wow... just wow

Digitized said:
Fallguy,

I have a request. Don't know if you still have both monitors but I'll ask anyway. Could you post a pic of both monitors showing a DVD movie? I want to know want the advantage of the 2005fpw is, over the 2001fp in DVD playback. My guess is that the size (without the black bars) is about the same, I just want to see :D .

TNX!

Sorry, I sold the 2001FP. Having one of each just was kinda.. off. A wallpaper for both wasnt very good looking, and just found myself not using the 2001FP at all.

fallguy said:
Sorry, I sold the 2001FP. Having one of each just was kinda.. off. A wallpaper for both wasnt very good looking, and just found myself not using the 2001FP at all.

I suggest if you want to keep dual screens and don't have enough for another 2005fpw, but looks like you could, I find a simple 15inch LCD off to the left with the main screen centered in front of you is nice. You can have your e-mail open on the 2nd screen on the left, then when you click on a e-mail reply, like from this forum, the browser window will appear on the main screen so you can still check you e-mail. Or watching TV with a Tuner card on the 2nd screen is great. Just a cheap 15inch LCD, no need to worry about response time for it's use. You can also setup easily in photoshop a background that has two images and set it to tile which will cause the 2nd image to end up on the 2nd display, like you have two backgrounds.

Take a look at this image I created in the past to explain how to setup a background on 2 screens.

NOTE, I know there are typos and I messed up with one of the numbers at the top:
desktop.jpg

laxmiddi44 said:
has anyone actually heard of this or have a link?

I believe rumors from people with Dell contacts have it coming out end Feb./early Mar. but any price figures going around are purely speculation. I would have to guess higher than 800-900 but if they could do it it would be sweet. I just don't see how they sell a larger monitor than the HP and Sony widescreens at half or less than half price.

TimothyB said:
I suggest if you want to keep dual screens and don't have enough for another 2005fpw, but looks like you could, I find a simple 15inch LCD off to the left with the main screen centered in front of you is nice. You can have your e-mail open on the 2nd screen on the left, then when you click on a e-mail reply, like from this forum, the browser window will appear on the main screen so you can still check you e-mail. Or watching TV with a Tuner card on the 2nd screen is great. Just a cheap 15inch LCD, no need to worry about response time for it's use. You can also setup easily in photoshop a background that has two images and set it to tile which will cause the 2nd image to end up on the 2nd display, like you have two backgrounds.

Take a look at this image I created in the past to explain how to setup a background on 2 screens.

NOTE, I know there are typos and I messed up with one of the numbers at the top:
desktop.jpg

That process takes way too much time. What a waste of time.

I use Ultramon and it's works great for multiple monitors. You can use one wallpaper and stretch it or use multiple wallpapers. Go here for more info - http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/tour/wallpaper.asp

That's my 2 cents.

sp0000nman said:
That process takes way too much time. What a waste of time.

I use Ultramon and it's works great for multiple monitors. You can use one wallpaper and stretch it or use multiple wallpapers. Go here for more info - http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/tour/wallpaper.asp

That's my 2 cents.

That's how I learned the process. I used Ultramon, but after the trial expired I found the folder where it stored the custom backgrounds. From there I saw how it combined the two images and used tile to get things to work. The only special trick Ultramon did for backgrounds was doing what I described automatically.

One day I'll buy Ultramon, the extra blue bar on the 2nd screen is worth it.

TimothyB said:
That's how I learned the process. I used Ultramon, but after the trial expired I found the folder where it stored the custom backgrounds. From there I saw how it combined the two images and used tile to get things to work. The only special trick Ultramon did for backgrounds was doing what I described automatically.

One day I'll buy Ultramon, the extra blue bar on the 2nd screen is worth it.

Having 2 taskbars is great that's for sure. How much is it to buy it? Like 20 bucks??

fallguy said:

I am very suprised you actually kept the 2005FPW instead of the 2001FP. Basically it all boils down to each individuals needs. I am currently between these 2 monitors like many other folks and I just wanted to thank you mate for your review. It helped me but I have read so many reviews in so many sites that I am confused in which way to go :rolleyes:
I am currently using one of the best CRT's around, the Sony GDM-W9000 which is a 24" wide monitor so you can say I am pretty use to a widescreen monitor having it for 3 years already now.

DSC01111.jpg

I was planning on moving to an LCD but I had a 4:3 in mind cause I always got irritated that most of the games I played didnt support wide resolutions. A friend sent me the link for the 2005FPW just before I ordered the 2001FP and since then I am reading posts to find out what is best for my needs.
I use my PC mainly for browsing, emails and I play 3-4 games like Call of Duty, NBA Live 2005, Civilization 3 and Men of Valor, and I am eagerly waiting for Band of Brothers. I do not watch any movies on my monitor cause I have a standalone Divx player and I watch them on my plasma TV.

My system specs at the moment are AMD Athlon 3200+, 1GB 400, X800pro.

Since you used both which would you propose for my case. I was really ready for the 2001FP but all that talk about the screen door effect (like I know what the hell it is???), the fact that is already a much older model from the 2005FP plus the lower response rate kept me on hold. Bear in mind that I play the occasional "old" game that has absolutely no way of supporting 16:9 displays.
Plus I keep hearing about the upcoming 2405FPW that is coming out, so if I eventually dont like it I will give whatever I buy to my wife and get the 2405FPW for myself :D
In any case your input would be greatly appreciated.
thanx

idlebones said:

I am very suprised you actually kept the 2005FPW instead of the 2001FP. Basically it all boils down to each individuals needs. I am currently between these 2 monitors like many other folks and I just wanted to thank you mate for your review. It helped me but I have read so many reviews in so many sites that I am confused in which way to go :rolleyes:
I am currently using one of the best CRT's around, the Sony GDM-W9000 which is a 24" wide monitor so you can say I am pretty use to a widescreen monitor having it for 3 years already now.

DSC01111.jpg

I was planning on moving to an LCD but I had a 4:3 in mind cause I always got irritated that most of the games I played didnt support wide resolutions. A friend sent me the link for the 2005FPW just before I ordered the 2001FP and since then I am reading posts to find out what is best for my needs.
I use my PC mainly for browsing, emails and I play 3-4 games like Call of Duty, NBA Live 2005, Civilization 3 and Men of Valor, and I am eagerly waiting for Band of Brothers. I do not watch any movies on my monitor cause I have a standalone Divx player and I watch them on my plasma TV.

My system specs at the moment are AMD Athlon 3200+, 1GB 400, X800pro.

Since you used both which would you propose for my case. I was really ready for the 2001FP but all that talk about the screen door effect (like I know what the hell it is???), the fact that is already a much older model from the 2005FP plus the lower response rate kept me on hold. Bear in mind that I play the occasional "old" game that has absolutely no way of supporting 16:9 displays.
Plus I keep hearing about the upcoming 2405FPW that is coming out, so if I eventually dont like it I will give whatever I buy to my wife and get the 2405FPW for myself :D
In any case your input would be greatly appreciated.
thanx

I dont have the 2005 but I do have a 2001fp and if your looking for a 4:3 you cant go wrong with the 2001fp its a great lcd I use it surfing the web and gaming no movies that why I got my self a 57" HDTV
:D

those are nice, I also have a 2001fp. im not going back to crt anytime soon.

Back