final ihs removal data

(cf)Eclipse

Freelance Overclocker
(continued from this post http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=851884 )

all righty, sorry about the long delay, there were some issue surrounding the lapping of my core. i really should have thought to take pictures before i put everything back together, but this turned into a project for those times when i couldn't sleep, and the light and flash required to take a decent picture would have woken up my roommate ;)
for those of you who lap the core (tenchi, listen up here), it's surprisingly difficult. before you say "bah, you can't lap your mom" or something equally silly, i've been doing this kind of thing for a long time. hell, my lapped slk-900 dropped temps considerably.

the real challenge comes from two things:
one, the core is small, thus when you push the cpu forward, there is more pressure on the front. this creates an uneven surface. to counter this, you can alternate, but my core was round to begin with, and i wanted it flat, so this wouldn't work too well. i ended up just moving my finger and hoped the changed center of pressure would be close enough to the right spot to not make it uneven. this almost worked. the core is flatter.. but not too much more so.
second: normally when i lap things, i use running water to keep everything clean so that the surface doesn't get scratched up from the removed material. with a cpu core, i thought this wasn't too wise. so no shiny finish on the core.

ok, with that in mind, and finally over with (took a few nights), i reapplied thermal paste and the heatsink. i actually did that with the a64 core, the drop or line down the middle doesn't work quite as well as the apply thin layer method. problem with the thin layer is that since the cpu still isn't as flat as i would have liked, some parts of the as5 needed to be thicker than others, and i found it difficult to do this right, so i over applied slightly and hoped the excess would get squeezed out over time.. though as5 is pretty thick. just for the curious, first time i booted up my computer after lapping....

2.3ghz, 1.57v, ambient = 12c (yeah.. my window was open all the way and it rocked to have the room that cold)
load: 54c
idle: 23c (this is with c&q on)

now, the as5 has settled for the most part..
same cpu specs, 18.5c ambient
load: 40
idle: 22

moral of the story: if you get horrible temps just after you build the computer, don't be put off.. it's probably just the thermal paste being retarted.

so now onto the real data. i apologize for the large size of the main chart of data. i recorded a lot of stuff, thus it's very complicated. for those who don't need the nitty gritty details, just look at the chart and bar graph below. i'll explain what it means in a moment.
data chart i have the speed, voltage, calcuated heat outpur, ambient for each test, the load and idle, the change in temp between the load and idle, and the change in temps i got from removing the ihs, then the change i got from lapping the core. ihs removal definitly wins ;)

so now for the charts. first one is the temperature of the core over the ambient temperature outside the case. for those who wonder, the x-axis is the calcuated heat output of the cpu, and y is the change in temperature
Tamb.PNG

this bar graph is the change in temperature between idle and load with the various speeds and core furnishings
dT.PNG

now.. i'll probably give some random information as i remember it when you guys ask questions, so ask away. and i apologize for those of you with small screens.. i umm. yeah, i got lazy and just used whatever graph size excel gave me. i'll try to change them if a bunch of people complain.

oh, quick update: i tried running the 118 watt test with the window off.. 46ºc load temp with 19ºc ambient. quite impressive, since before my computer would only be about 5c cooler running at 1/2 the heat output.

edit: yeah, if the pics don't work.. i've hit the 500meg/month limit of my server *cries*

Nice work and good work with helping out the community :)

Just one little question about something on your table showing the changes in "stuff".

the last thing tested "delta (lap core)" it justs seems unfinished and you got a -1?

yeah, i dunno what's up with that..there are a few possibilities.

one being that the as5 hasn't fully set yet, and doesn't like high heat loads
two is that the heatsink doesn't like the increased thermal density of having a bare core.. though that shouldn't increase from not lapping to lapping., the case isn't adept at removing that much heat (antec lanboy, rear fan has been swapped out for one slightly faster)
and third, which is rather likely, is that the bios just isn't reporting the temps right... which in the end really frustrates me, because if that's true, it kinda puts off the the data in slight question.

either way, i'll try running the tests again later this afternoon and seeing if anything changes too much.

and a thing i realized.. when the core is lapped.. i started with a shiny, yet rough surface. it got smooth. then i kept going. and random lines that looked like cracks showed up. it had me very worried, however the chip still works.. so i guess it's fine. all in all, i took off quite a bit of material, probably in the range of a 1/4 mm or so.

(cf)Eclipse said:
and a thing i realized.. when the core is lapped.. i started with a shiny, yet rough surface. it got smooth. then i kept going. and random lines that looked like cracks showed up. it had me very worried, however the chip still works.. so i guess it's fine. all in all, i took off quite a bit of material, probably in the range of a 1/4 mm or so.

MUCH braver man than I am. Had I saw what you saw, I would have aborted the mission right there and checked to made sure it still worked lol. Glad to see nothing broke....you're brave man.

hmm.. about 5-6 thermal cycles. i'd be priming whenever i was using the computer.. and i'd turn it off when i knew i'dbe gone for more than an hour or two. took about 2-3 days. i think it's still dropping a bit.. i can't tell though. (stupid bios :rolleyes: )

tsuehpsyde: i did stop and checked to make sure it still worked as soon as the cracks started showing up. it booted up and ran just fine, so i figured it wasn't too much of a problem.

bah, you can't lap your mom :p

Pretty good.

I was never going to say you couldn't lap your core, I just never went that far myself. Now, you should put up a full write-up on the process. Although I am more than happy with my temps in my current setup.

I may have to try it when I get another A64 to mess with (and when my current one is expendable).

heh, i was just pointing it out, cause i think you'll do it before most other people, based on previous experience ;)

and.. well it's just like lapping anything else, but just don't use water.. unless you are confident you can clean off all the metal and water properly.. and won't kill anything. and keep the force even at all costs. :D
*intones* "may the force be with you!" (bleh, i need sleep. hahaha)

I don't recall ever doubting your ability, only surprised at what you were planning on doing. ;)

What HSF are you using again? b/c your cpu w/o ihs (non-lapped) gets a lot cooler than mine at idle? Mine idles at like 28ºC at approx 65ºF ambient room temp and maxes at 40ºC. I've always been curious what an xp120 on a setup like ours (IHS-free) would perform.

hehe, i never said you were :D

and the heatsink is in my sig. zalman cnps-7000A-cu. i got the fanmate on it, so 2500 rpm. it's in a lanboy case, 2x120mm case fans, and a 6800gt pumping out mad heat right below it.

I agree, I wish they would move the videocard slot (be it agp or PCI-e away from the CPU.

and the other problem is how much air the zalman recirculates. i would do some ducting work if i could fullfill two requirements:
get the vga cooler that exhausts air out the back of the case
had some foam (kinda like what you did..)

and part of the problem with the k8n is how low the cpu socket is. the zalman has roughly a 1/2" of space between the outside diameter and the video card :p

Wow, thats a tight fit. The foam ducting I have works pretty good, I need to revise it since I no longer use the NVS5 and want to seperate the videocard portion of the case from the proc portion of the case.

marking thread, leaving to san antonio and no PC for 2 days :(

hey i am lappin my old heatsink with an eraser. do u think it worth my time or should i buy 1k grit sandin?

EH?! an eraser won't do anything :p

get some 400 grit, 600-800 grit, 1000 grit, 1500 or 2000 if you can find em.. just work your way up.

and nice thread revival too ;)

lol alrite. btw i did 30 min erasin my hsf surface, and it started to get some reflection but not in mirror-like. Too much work with eraser. :rolleyes:

Edit: I got this advice from my friend's father, he's an enginner. So i thought i can give it a try lol.

The reason y i am doin this cuz i want to switch my dad's crappy stock hsf to my old hsf that have copper base on it. I thought it might improve better coolin and performance on 3000+ xp processor, no overclockin involved.

Also, soon i will buy FX-57 processor like in few weeks. So i can do the lappin thing on that processor lol. :p

the problem with the eraser is that you're trying to make it flat and smooth by doing this, not curved and smooth.. with just an eraser, you're probably doing more harm than good :(

(and i'm an engineer too, thermodynamics is fun! :D)

man i am still learnin bout this and other stuff lol. thx for the advice and no problem with the thread revival lol. :)

heh, learning is good, i wish you luck with lapping that thing..

also, i should direct you to the oc'ing and cooling forum, there should be a lapping guide in there somewhere :p

as a side note, i'm 2nd year too, mechanical engineer, cross registered NTID/RIT :D

Yea, Mr. Stryker told me bout u since I am his friend though.

I go to NTID actually, and my major is ACT. I am thinkin bout transferrin to puter engineerin after I finish with my major @ ACT. :p

Bad thing is that I am currently in suspension from RIT due to my bad gpa from last quarter :( . Good thing they might grant me 2nd chance (Hope so). I still consider myself as a second year student @ RIT. Just wish me a luck. :D

Edit: gee this thread is trunin into off topic lol. jk

Back