Ban noobie's from posting in hot deals

CodeWaste

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there a way we can ban noobies from posting in the hot deals section? right now there are no less than 3 scams running in the hot deals section all posted by the same noobie.

It's insane in that section sometimes, half the time noobies dont know when a deal is good or not, all they know is it's better than BB or CC. I know you might be worried about "hey what if it really is a good deal, then they can't post!" There are ways around that, they could PM and admin and they could post it. They can pm a user that is not a noobie, hell I'll even volunteer to be one of those users. at any given time there must be 300 people signed on to this forum, any one of them would be willing to help a noobie out if the deal was genuinely good. I know I would. Especially since I check this forum 20+ times a day (college student).

Oh well, sorry to rant like that, I guess im just tired of looking at the hot deals section and half the time seeing mediocre deals and scams. I think the mods have done a great job thus far, I just think that improvements could be made.

well hold on a sec... what about people like me? i just came from pcper.com beause it is sooo small and i wanted to get my fs/ft list out to more people. im not saying i know everything about comps but i know enought to know if it is a good deal or im getting ripped. i think if a noob comes here with no heat at all, and they dont have refs from diff sites then it should be ok to make them have a post requirment much like there is on pcper. but if you know what you are doing i dont think you should be banned from the fs/ft post..

thats just my opinion cause i, for one, dont wanna get banned. but i do want to make it safer for us fellow traders.

tim johnson

Intel_is_good said:
well hold on a sec... what about people like me? i just came from pcper.com beause it is sooo small and i wanted to get my fs/ft list out to more people. im not saying i know everything about comps but i know enought to know if it is a good deal or im getting ripped. i think if a noob comes here with no heat at all, and they dont have refs from diff sites then it should be ok to make them have a post requirment much like there is on pcper. but if you know what you are doing i dont think you should be banned from the fs/ft post..

thats just my opinion cause i, for one, dont wanna get banned. but i do want to make it safer for us fellow traders.

tim johnson

Well, he was talking about HotDeals, not FS/FT.

Having a minimum post count to post a deal would eliminate a ton of drive-by scammers/spammers.

But, i'd say just maike it so they can't start a new thread.

Then again, they'd probably spam another subforum to get their post count up.

The best way to keep it clean is to use the "Report Post" button (triangular ! icon under a user name)
That will send an email to the mods of that forum as well as admins so they can investigate.

Hey man,

I dont know about the FS/FT section, I dont frequent there much. I do know that the basic hot deals section itself seems like it has seen better posts. Besides, its only 64 or 96 (i don't remember) posts until you get to [H]lite. If a deal is really that hot and you're a noobie, you can always ask a mod or a non noobie to post for you.

As far as the FS/FT, again its no more than 96 posts in other sections to [H]lite.

Perhaps some middle ground would be to not let noobies start threads in Hot deals. they can still post, but only after someone else started a thread.

Edit: Just saw the mods post right after i posted this,

Yeah they might try to spam another thread to get their post count higher, but that would be a lot more effort than its worth. Especially if they have to get 96 posts, just to start 1 thread?

I actually like the idea of a certain post count or time limit for posting in FS/FT. I think it would cut down on a lot of trolling. I just signed up on PCPERSPECTIVE forums last week and have some posts and I can't even see the "trading post" section. As an established trader, it's a little annoying, but it's definitely worth the safety.

BigBadBiologist said:
I actually like the idea of a certain post count or time limit for posting in FS/FT. I think it would cut down on a lot of trolling. I just signed up on PCPERSPECTIVE forums last week and have some posts and I can't even see the "trading post" section. As an established trader, it's a little annoying, but it's definitely worth the safety.

me too.. and i have a friend that signed up at pcper and could not post either.. then i posted his 6800u in my thread for him. yes i agree it is annoying as hell. haha

sorry i didnt see the part where he said hot deals... i thought he was talking about the fs/ft post.

Thanks for your thoughts on how we need to handle our forums. Should you see a post that bothers you, please just click the report post button and someone will give it quick attention. Thanks.

i think this is a terrific idea, not only for hotdeals but also for FS/FT

intel is good, you bring up PCPER... well even they dont allow noobies to post in fs/ft, and i dont thinky ou should be able to too here either. ive got nothing against you personally, but all these bannings are going on becuase alot of noobs are coming in and breaking all the rules and pissing mods off. they also rip people off and are never seen again.

well if you check my heat you will see that i have 18 heats... thats not as much as some people but i think i should be allowed to. i have not ripped off one person. check the heat of DRE. trust me if there is someone who knows how it feels to get ripped it is me. im not saying that no one else has been ripped off but i know how it feels. i would not rip ANYONE off. like i said befor i think you should be allowed to post if you have heat and have refs from diff sites.

i have tried to follow all the rules. the only rule that i have broken is my sig was once to long. but i corrected that as soon as someone told me about it. i try not to piss people off. i am able to post on pcper. i agree with the tigher rules, and i agree that it should be harder to post in the fs/ft post. but i dont think that banning all noob's from it will stop it. it will just start a bunch of spam posts from people trying to get their post count up, and in doing so will piss more people off.(like mentioned before). befor i trade with someone i look at their heat and try to chat with them on aim or yahoo. a lot of traders are also exchanging phone numbers to help make this a more secure place to trade. sometimes if you just use a little time and do some research on that person then you can usually smell a bad deal.
no hard feelings i am just trying to defend myself.
tim

You have to understand, we're not attacking you personally. Just me and it would seem a few other people are fed up with the hot deals section becoming a cess pool worse than the old genmay.

i realize that but i just dont want to not beable to post in the fs/ft forum because of other people.. maybe if we had to apply for some kind of licence or something like that it would eliminate it..... i know that this would be a damn hard thing for the mods here but it would eliminate all the trolls.. (at least i think it would). but i really really hate to post this suggestion because the mods will hate me for it.. haha

nah man i think you are going to make [H]Lite just by posting in this thread alone.....

intel - hlite is 64 posts. you have two to go, you have nothing to worry about

also, limp gawd is 128

well im not trying to spam my way up there but i was just kinda trying to let you all kinda see my point of view.. but i didnt even know that i was that close to hlite... well it seems that i have only one more to go!!

if you were going to do anything, you'd have to disallow them from making new threads all together. The spammers stick their threads in HotDeals because thats the most "appropriate" forum and they think it has a chance not to get deleted, but if they weren't allowed, they'd just stick it somewhere else.

So the only effective option is to completely ban them from making new threads, which would significantly hurt non-spamming newbies. and I'd say the ratio is 1:100 of spammers:nonspammers, so you are hurting quite a few people who don't deserve it.

And in reality, the threads were only in there for about an hour, its not really the end of the world, is it?

This may change at some future point of time, but it has been for years the policy of the [H] that we recognize the fact we were all new to this forum at one point and there should be no discrimination toward new members. They have their chances to screw up like the rest of us. ;) I think overall the conduct is quite good and the majority shouldn't have to pay a price for the actions of a few.

I didn't know that keeping noobies from creating new threads had to be done on a system wide scale, i thought it could be a rule that would only apply to the hot deals section, much in the same way as the genmay section is where you have paid membership. Im not saying make the hot deals section part of the paid membership (although i like it the more i think about it.....) but the rule would be applied the same manner

I think you guys have been doing a good job keeping the forum pretty clean. It just seems like a lot of noobs lately dont seem to know what a good deal is and I was frustrated with having to sort through it.

Keep up the good work

FWIW, I think noobies should be allowed to post. The staff keeps the ship pretty tight.

-SEAL

The forum runs in cycles of rampant n00biness from time to time, this is just one of those trying times....this too shall pass. :D

MajorDomo said:
The forum runs in cycles of rampant n00biness from time to time, this is just one of those trying times....this too shall pass. :D
Doesn't every forum experience this from time to time? :p

And then there are the noobies that have been around for quite some time, but without a lot to say. I was reading this forum long before I ever registered and posted my first message. Just because I'm selective with my words doesn't mean that I shouldn't be able to speak when the appropriate time comes. I've still got several posts to go before I climb out of the pit of being a noobie, but my class of noobie shouldn't necessarily brand me as ignorant.

Fixed, but 'Report a Post" would work much better just in case to alert all of the forum mods and the admins, not just the ones who service this forum :)

Sometimes I wish I was a moderator (since I spend so much time here). Just a general, generic moderator. Lock some irrelevant posts, warn some belligerent n00bies, [size=-1]Serve the Public Trust, Protect the Innocent, Uphold the law...

wait the last 3 were from my Robocop fantasy...:D
[/size]

Me too and the rest of the moderating staff as well, but it is a big comittment which takes a bit more time than doing 'some' posts while ignoring others. It's a rewarding job in the fact that we have one of the best moderated boards on the interwebnet and that is enough :cool:

Tenchi4U said:
Sometimes I wish I was a moderator (since I spend so much time here). Just a general, generic moderator. Lock some irrelevant posts, warn some belligerent n00bies, [size=-1]Serve the Public Trust, Protect the Innocent, Uphold the law...

wait the last 3 were from my Robocop fantasy...:D
[/size]

good deal from someone with 9 posts

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=858019

but yes the problem seemd to get worse,

i think forums have some sort of censor script. is it possible to censor out referral coding from posts? maybe that would make the forum unusable to driveby spammers. like ?RefID=*** or something

1 day waiting period on posts? 3 posts before a post there?

just brainstorming.

Ocean said:
good deal from someone with 9 posts

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=858019

but yes the problem seemd to get worse,

i think forums have some sort of censor script. is it possible to censor out referral coding from posts? maybe that would make the forum unusable to driveby spammers. like ?RefID=*** or something

1 day waiting period on posts? 3 posts before a post there?

just brainstorming.

we can censor things, for example try to type in dot--deals.com (without the --) and you will get !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but the problem is these drive bys register literally hundreds of URLS and use them as redirects to their referrals. And its just a plain URL like www.iamdoofus.com or something. So until they post it we can't block it.

Actually before this thread was started I posted in the Mod's Corner that we have been getting hit hard lately. Trust me it goes in cycles. Just be patient and in a week or 2 they will have moved on and we won't see them for a couple of months. Then they will come hammer us again.

understood.

isnt really a problem for me, i just thought id throw out some ideas, yall do a spiffy job moderating anyways.

Back