brothers in arms: cod rip off?

Er... no, it doesn't.

Go and play it. Its terrain looks nothing like CoD's, the weapon models are different, the sighted views are different... it's a wholly different game, no ripoff content.

lol, you can really tell the ones who know nothing about BiA. I'm pissed because it was spose to be shipped today, but now my order at ubi.com says expected ship date 3-16-05

joethemole said:
the screen shots (ones with guns) look like its taken straight out of cod. wtf?
Maybe because they're both grounded in a photodocumented historical battle? There's a whole lot of room for visual similarity when the goal is realism.

yeah, plus one is based on a now old engine.

i'm hoping it's good, but i've heard it's entirely different than CoD

this game plays more like a rainbowsix game mixed with Full Spectrum warrior than a Call of Duty. I just picked it up for XBox and it's absolutley incredible.

you NEED to play it without the crosshair or supression indicators for the full effect.

Yeah. You -need- to use flanking tactics and take into account German positions to get more than a few chapters deep in this. Call of Duty sorta made you use legitimate tactics, but your survival wasn't based off of it. If your squad members die in this one, the game gets much, much harder.

This ain't yo daddy's CoD.

BA! hardly. have you actually seen any of the info/trailers on BIA? this looks like the start of good "squad controlling" games.

this puppy installs today!

Model-wise... well they're both during WWII, so what can you expect. Guns are guns. Are you expecting some BFG-like super-duper semi-auto?

Gameplay-wise, BIA will be more focused than CoD. I never liked how in CoD you were always switching nationalities.

versello said:
Model-wise... well they're both during WWII, so what can you expect. Guns are guns. Are you expecting some BFG-like super-duper semi-auto?

Gameplay-wise, BIA will be more focused than CoD. I never liked how in CoD you were always switching nationalities.

Wow you hated one of the best features of COD? I liked the fact you finally got to play from another perspective especially the Russians. You definitely wont like part two cause I read they may allow you to play German campaign.

And to the original poster...are you for real? Oh well. Trying playing first and like another poster said its kind of hard to deviate from what WWII looked like.

All of these game are a ripoff of WWII! I can't believe game developers these days....the NERVE!!! :eek:

Honestly, if you think it's a ripoff or not, as long as it's a great game, WHO CARES. I don't think it's a ripoff, if you've been following it for the past several months, you would believe this too. DoD, CoD..love them both, and I'm sure when this gets installed today I'll love it too, I have no doubts.

IMO...

I have played this for about an hour into it and would deffinatly say it is NOT as good as COD/UO. I suppose the commanding of your troops and the flanking is nice but the actual firing of your own gun is so rough and uncontrolled. COD is so much more sharper and you are actually shooting the people rather than "roughly at them" like in this.

The game is decent but I still prefer the physics of COD, obviously I have a lot to still see of this game but the whole "feel" of it just does not compare to cod and I dont think the experience is as emirsive as cod either.

Not comparing it to cod I think its a good game and now that I think of it its a lot more like MOH:pA as far as the feel goes, hmm I still think I liked MOH:pA more... I will post back after I have played it more.

:) Neural

ProwlerTech said:
All of these game are a ripoff of WWII! I can't believe game developers these days....the NERVE!!! :eek:

Honestly, if you think it's a ripoff or not, as long as it's a great game, WHO CARES. I don't think it's a ripoff, if you've been following it for the past several months, you would believe this too. DoD, CoD..love them both, and I'm sure when this gets installed today I'll love it too, I have no doubts.

IMO...

Just for the record, I had great fun playing CoD and am glad I rented it. It was a nice switch from DoD because of the graphics and singleplayer(the scripted events were exciting). However, the tiny sniper rifle scope killed the game for me :/ It's a little thing to get bent out of shape for, but I could never get into CoD rifles like I could DoD's. Guess they weren't overpowered enough :D

Neural Interface said:
I have played this for about an hour into it and would deffinatly say it is NOT as good as COD/UO. I suppose the commanding of your troops and the flanking is nice but the actual firing of your own gun is so rough and uncontrolled. COD is so much more sharper and you are actually shooting the people rather than "roughly at them" like in this.

The game is decent but I still prefer the physics of COD, obviously I have a lot to still see of this game but the whole "feel" of it just does not compare to cod and I dont think the experience is as emirsive as cod either.

Not comparing it to cod I think its a good game and now that I think of it its a lot more like MOH:pA as far as the feel goes, hmm I still think I liked MOH:pA more... I will post back after I have played it more.

Crap. So are you saying you cant aim down your site and see that you've been hitting someone? That would blow. I might still check it out though.

I went out and bought it at lunch. Later when I get off I'll post screens and my useless opinion.

I admit I was rather hesitant to buy it since you have to drag bots around with you in multiplayer. But what the heck. And as far as this being better than COD...nah. The only thing that can top COD will be COD2 in this era.

When you think about it, Brothers in Arms isn't really a FPS. It's a strategy game played from a first person view, and it happens to involve guns. I know it sounds weird, but it just feels much more geared towards strategists, what with the situational awareness view and all; you walk into a battlefield, go into situational awareness, and you can just imagine the route they want you to take between enemy positions based on coverage available.

If that sounds cool to you, you'll love the game. I really don't think the game was meant to be as cinematic as CoD was though, despite some (rather funny) attempts to incorporate philosophy into the dialogue. Maybe I'm just too cynical.

true, but the clip of the game I saw--I think on the Screen Savers tv show-- showed a FPS viewpoint and a guy firing at the enemy who had round symbols over their heads to identify them I assume.

I installed it... only to find out it crashes on start up. Hopefully some different drivers will fix this problem.

Build: (null)

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2220 MHz [1697858846720.000000 0] with 1023MB RAM
Video: No Video

General protection fault!

History: ULinkerLoad::eek:perator`<<' <- (LinkerLoad Package.LinkerLoad 708675)) <- operator`<<' <- operator`<<' <- UStruct::SerializeTaggedProperties <- (Count 0) <- UStruct::SerializeTaggedProperties <- (UnderLift[-1]) <- UObject::Serialize <- (Function Engine.Actor.SetFlagValue) <- UField::Serialize <- (Function Engine.Actor.SetFlagValue) <- UStruct::Serialize <- (Function Engine.Actor.SetFlagValue) <- UFunction::Serialize <- ULinkerLoad::preload <- (Function Engine.Actor.SetFlagValue 708675==708675/1731262 708665 321) <- ULinkerLoad::preload <- UStruct::Link <- UStruct::Link <- UState::Link <- UClass::Link <- UStruct::Serialize <- (Class Engine.Actor) <- UState::Serialize <- UClass::Serialize <- (Class Engine.Actor) <- ULinkerLoad::preload <- (Class Engine.Actor 708675==708675/1731262 177360 2883) <- ULinkerLoad::preload <- UObject::EndLoad <- UObject::EndLoad <- UObject::StaticLoadObject <- (Core.Class Engine.ini:Engine.Engine.GameEngine NULL) <- UObject::StaticLoadClass <- InitEngine

I'm the Dude said:
Crap. So are you saying you cant aim down your site and see that you've been hitting someone? That would blow. I might still check it out though.

Not quite, you can kinda see your hitting them but the ironsight is to large, I think plus the movment and backfire all adds to a crappy feel imo.
I dont think i can explain it properly just try the demo and see for yourself, some might like it, but I generally dont. and the "tiny" tank was just funny :D

kick@ss said:
I installed it... only to find out it crashes on start up. Hopefully some different drivers will fix this problem.

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2220 MHz [1697858846720.000000 0] with 1023MB RAM

History: ULinkerLoad::eek:perator`<<' <- (LinkerLoad Package.LinkerLoad 708675)) <- operator`<<' <- operator`<<' <- UStruct::SerializeTaggedProperties <- (Count 0) <- UStruct::SerializeTaggedProperties <- (UnderLift[-1]) <- UObject::Serialize <- (Function Engine.Actor.SetFlagValue) <- UField::Serialize <- (Function Engine.Actor.SetFlagValue) <- UStruct::Serialize <- (Function Engine.Actor.SetFlagValue) <- UFunction::Serialize <- ULinkerLoad::preload <- (Function Engine.Actor.SetFlagValue 708675==708675/1731262 708665 321) <- ULinkerLoad::preload <- UStruct::Link <- UStruct::Link <- UState::Link <- UClass::Link <- UStruct::Serialize <- (Class Engine.Actor) <- UState::Serialize <- UClass::Serialize <- (Class Engine.Actor) <- ULinkerLoad::preload <- (Class Engine.Actor 708675==708675/1731262 177360 2883) <- ULinkerLoad::preload <- UObject::EndLoad <- UObject::EndLoad <- UObject::StaticLoadObject <- (Core.Class Engine.ini:Engine.Engine.GameEngine NULL) <- UObject::StaticLoadClass <- InitEngine

Does your video card meet the minimum req on the box ?

I've been playing it for the PC, just got it today, playing it on Normal only because the Authentic mode wasn't available (grayed out) I like it a lot, its nothing like COD, COD is very arcadish run & gun, this game is way more, fire and maneuver, supress the enemy and move...

Multiplayer isn't great, i bought it for the single player..i'm up to i'd say chapter 9 or so, about to link up w/a friendly tank, i stopped there, gunna wait till the weekend to beat the game, don't wanna ruin it all at once like i did HL2, beat it in 2 days...

I'm the Dude said:
true, but the clip of the game I saw--I think on the Screen Savers tv show-- showed a FPS viewpoint and a guy firing at the enemy who had round symbols over their heads to identify them I assume.

those icons weren't to identify them, you don't get that until you or your AI spots them, those icons are "supression" icons, they tell you how supressed the enemy is. You can disable the icons from coming up if you want.

133 said:
Does your video card meet the minimum req on the box ?

I've been playing it for the PC, just got it today, playing it on Normal only because the Authentic mode wasn't available (grayed out) I like it a lot, its nothing like COD, COD is very arcadish run & gun, this game is way more, fire and maneuver, supress the enemy and move...

Multiplayer isn't great, i bought it for the single player..i'm up to i'd say chapter 9 or so, about to link up w/a friendly tank, i stopped there, gunna wait till the weekend to beat the game, don't wanna ruin it all at once like i did HL2, beat it in 2 days...
Yeah, it's a 6800 GT. I reinstalled the game and every time I reinstall it I get a different error, but there is one that pops up the most often.

History: UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine

that guy that talked about the aiming is stupid. hes wrong. yeah theres no crosshairs and the gun reacts like a real gun, it has kickback. hes just used to an arcade style run and gun shit. dont listen to him. this game is great. its not for everyone though.

I must say I prefer UO to Brothers in Arms. I just think it's an alltogether better experience playing UO, and I'm anxiously awaiting COD2. I'll be buying that one.

Neural Interface said:
COD is so much more sharper and you are actually shooting the people rather than "roughly at them" like in this.
Real battles/firefights barely give you time to aim and squeeze shots off if you can see the enemy they can see you.

seriously, i doubt there can be a better experience than in cod where you are just "part of the crowd" of soldiers fighting. i actually enjoyed the team expereience in cod better as the usa than as russia.

So what I'm gathering is shooting the weapon at an enemy is more realistic. You can still see that you're hitting them though correct?

I don't mind the idea of commanding troops and suppression and all, I just wanna be able to take aim, fire, and see that someone is being hit.

There's a demo of this game?

kick@ss said:

Are you using beta drivers, and/or overclocking?

joethemole said:
seriously, i doubt there can be a better experience than in cod where you are just "part of the crowd" of soldiers fighting. i actually enjoyed the team expereience in cod better as the usa than as russia.

but you arent really "jsut part of the crowd" in call of duty. They try to make it feel like that but it really doesnt. Like msot things dont happen until you kill all the enemies in a room or until you snipe x amount of soldiers. And if you try to run away or hide in a trench, the game just kills you with a mortar shell that lands right on top of you.

Call of Duty and United Offensive, I enjoyed both of those way more in multiplayer mode. A lot of good times with that. The single player part was just kinda a run though. That's just me though. jaded old dude.

Neural Interface said:

Have you fired any of the WWII era guns?

They aren't refined in the least. They are made of steel and wood. Not the lightest pieces of weaponry. Have you ever noticed the shape of the canteen cups? Then looked at the butt of teh B.A.R.? Ever heard of marching fire? The BAR gunners would put teh cup on their belt, turn it sideways instert the butt of the BAR into it and "fire-from-the-hip" There was no "aiming" of a BAR there is no physical way of doing so from a standing position, you'd have to be prone to aim it. So, the marching fire became the standard. Recoil on a BAR was insane as well.

Same stood for the Thompson. The gun either had the 31 round magazine or a 100 round drum. It weighed about 20 or so pounds unloaded and about 30 or so loaded (drum), not the lightest gun compared to say an M-16 or MP5 in the least.

With BiA they went for uber realism. Hell, one of the guys from that unit helped in making the game. It's based off of a real military unit during WWII. Everything that is done in the game is based off of actual events.

I've heard nothing but good things about this game and have been to Wal-Mart several times this week to pick it up but they haven't had it I'm disappointed in Wally-World. They suck.Maybe this weekend.

My Best Buy near work will have it tommorrow. :D

Looking at clips from the web site, I'm not worried about aiming. Doesn't look to be an issue. There were some stuff that seemed a bit silly, like Americans running up 5 feet away and Germs still crouched down shooting, but that's just a limitation of game programming, A.I., etc. To be expected.

Just got the game and installed it. Works great and the game is fun. For those of you who want to know about the aiming, the crosshair is optional in the PC version, it’s under 'game options'.Its kinda hard to shoot without the crosshair and to get effective shots on your enemies you constantly need to be in zoom mode regardless of weather or not you use a crosshair

The game does get a little repetitive as all you do is give the guys under you orders to suppress the enemy while you or the 2nd team (further along in the game) flanks em from the side or behind, but the good news is that they add a few fun little things under you command every now and then. The game itself is some sort of hybrid FPS, as it retains more FPS elements.......

the game seems to be optimized well as it performs great on my 9700 PRO

I'm the Dude said:
Are you using beta drivers, and/or overclocking?
I've tried everything, 3 different drivers (including 71.84) and I have the latest drivers for everything else (all non-beta). The first thing I did when it was crashing was set everything back to default speed, but that didn't help at all. At this point I know I'm just going to have to wait for a patch and hope that fixes it.

Back