s754 users looking for an upgrade

(cf)Eclipse

Freelance Overclocker
someone at XS has purchased a newark over at shentech, and says he got one in. this would imply that they really do have them.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=891703#post891703

here are the cpu's themselves:
3700+ = $353
3400+ = $241
no lower yet :p

for those not in the know, here is what newark is capable of (with oc'ing results later in the thread. know that i hit 3.1ghz as a max screen and 2.85ghz stable with 1.57v with a zalman cnps-7000)
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=899853

No! BAD! I haven't even begun to seriously play with my Sempron and my hand is already reaching for my wallet.

decisions decisions.

just upgraded to a 3700 CH from a 3200 a couple of months ago. my mobo is not an OC king, so I thought about going the DFI route..but then if im gonna get a new mobo, might as well go 939, and if im gonna do that, might as well go PCI-E

ARGH

LOL

maybe Ill just keep what I got, and not read about all this cool stuff anymore, makes me want to go out and buy stuff all the time

Nuc_E said:
No! BAD! I haven't even begun to seriously play with my Sempron and my hand is already reaching for my wallet.

Ack! I should have went with a different board. The 8K3ADJ won't play nice with non-desktop A64s. :(

I'll stick with the Epox for a month or two and then probably go with the DFI.

if you want a cheap agp solution to play nice with a mobile, vnf3-250 is the way to go. i saw it at the egg for 56 bucks on sale, its usually 70 everyday.

Too bad my Neo has the same voltage issues with the Newark that the Neo2's are having with the Venice/SDs.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
if you want a cheap agp solution to play nice with a mobile, vnf3-250 is the way to go. i saw it at the egg for 56 bucks on sale, its usually 70 everyday.

Currently $55 shipped at chiefvalue.com.

tsuehpsyde said:
Too bad my Neo has the same voltage issues with the Newark that the Neo2's are having with the Venice/SDs.

Really? Damn, I was thinking of picking two up. I have a DFI that will run a newark, and I also have a Neo. Both are running 3400+ new castles.

Hopefully a bios update will be out soon!

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, they (the Neo's) can run them (the Newark's) fine at stock speeds and voltages, but giving it more voltage is only from a % over VID from what I understand. That and you have to sand off your standoffs to match the CPU since it doesn't have an IHS. ;)

tsuehpsyde said:
Yeah, they (the Neo's) can run them (the Newark's) fine at stock speeds and voltages, but giving it more voltage is only from a % over VID from what I understand
yup, the VID itself didn't do anything and was stuck at 1.4v, no matter where i set it. with the %over VID, i got to just under 1.5v, which was good for 2.8ghz with moderately cold air :D

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:

If I can hit 300fsb with the Chaintech I'll be happy. I need to be able to hit that to so I can get a decent overclock out of my Sempron. I might just turn around and sell the Epox then. However, since that Chaintech is so cheap I probably won't bother. By the time I save up for a Newark, I can just keep the current combo and use it to upgrade another machine.

one thing to realize though.. with all the oc'ing i do, i rarely go over 250mhz htt.. having a high multi is nice sometimes :p :D

and cause i just talked to billr about this.. A64 DOES NOT HAVE A NORMAL FSB!!!!! :p

(cf)Eclipse said:
one thing to realize though.. with all the oc'ing i do, i rarely go over 250mhz htt.. having a high multi is nice sometimes :p :D

and cause i just talked to billr about this.. A64 DOES NOT HAVE A NORMAL FSB!!!!! :p

Well, you know what I mean. If I can't get 2.4 out of my Sempron, something is wrong with me. Stupid multiplier limited to 8 or less.

Nuc_E said:
Well, you know what I mean. If I can't get 2.4 out of my Sempron, something is wrong with me. Stupid multiplier limited to 8 or less.
hehehe, you should be able to do it. is it a 90nm sempron?

(cf)Eclipse said:
hehehe, you should be able to do it. is it a 90nm sempron?

Yup. It 'should' be able to hit that with stock cooling. I am eventually gonna pick up a decent aftermarket cooler and see if I can max out my board at 325mhz. 2600mhz s754 for $75 sounds pretty good to me.

Well, that price on the VNV-250 was too sweet to pass up, even if it means I'll have to forgo the geek cred of my gigabit home network. I've been on my K8T800 board for too, too long. Now my 3200+ can stretch his legs and really start to fold.

I smell a sale thread coming for my Asus K8V. Nice board, but it can't overclock for crap.

the vnf3-250 is a GREAT board, it kept my 2800+ 2.5ghz on air, and it lets me boot into windows at 300x9, but my ram holds me back from hitting it. i have water, so this board and my chip can really shine.

Back