Thermoelectric/Glycol hybrid?

nighthawke

n00b
While prowling the 'net, I hit upon a company with a interesting solution to using thermoelectrics to cool down a system.

melcorstore_1850_75912

They take the TEM and put it into a case with all the supporting gear (fans, pumps, thermostats, reservoir) to operate the unit.
The idea behind my suggestion is to take the TE module and get it away from the CPU because of the ongoing problem with condensation and icing. (moisture + electronics = bad news. But you probably know that already)

This gadget actually tames the chilling effects of the TEM by having it chill glycol/water, then sending it into the 'sinks to cool down the system.

They also make a 580 watt unit with a 500 watt heating option (gawd knows why we would need hot glycol coursing around our chips).

One of the headaches about this kind of setup is the long length of time that it takes to chill the glycol down.. *shrugs*

The other headache is the cost.
$2,000+ US!
This is defintely a unit that you will be investing for the long haul, to last over the lives of several PC systems.

My 2 cents worth

NH

I think you may still need to insulate your MB because you will get condensation in the case because the cooler lines and waterblocks may get below the ambient temps. I have the same problem when I go stargazing trying to keep the front optics warm enough that condensation doesn't form on the lenses.

Top Nurse said:
I think you may still need to insulate your MB because you will get condensation in the case because the cooler lines and waterblocks may get below the ambient temps. I have the same problem when I go stargazing trying to keep the front optics warm enough that condensation doesn't form on the lenses.

And I cannot disagree with that. But! The overall temps can be adjusted so that the moisture can be prevented from getting close to the vitals, hence the thermostat on the glycol pump. With the basic TEMs you could not modulate the units very much, and were prone to icing over if its' fan quit.

I had a exciting discussion with a friend of mine on this and his main concern was portability. Tearing the unit down and hauling it to a LANparty looks like it would be great. BUT! there is a sticking point.. TEMs, particulary this setup, takes forever to chill down. The idea came up that a bypass was installed, loop the chilled water back to the glycol pump and crank the 'stat down low, let the glycol get icy cold. Once the 'stat cut off, pack the pump into your ride and off you go. If the LANparty was a good distance off, it could be handled by either a UPS or a decently sized (1,000+ watt) inverter.

Hey, this is a MUCH better solution in comparison to my original idea of using a Manitowoc chilled glycol pump designed to keep keg beer at the tap ice cold.. :D That unit ran 6 grand just for the cooling unit itself, plumbing and wiring defintely optional.

the thing is, if you're spending that kind of money and you're still not going below the dew point than the project is a pretty huge waste of money.

for less than that price, you could be looking at -60 C phase change cooling with highly intelligent control systems and a prooven effective condensation proofing system.

i just don't see the point.

if you want to talk chiller design, then there are a few people kicking around here that can pipe up on the subject, however the point of a chiller is USUALLY to get things cold enough to allow for extreme voltages and overclocking, and what you are proposing do to with this unit really doesn't allow for either of those design goals.

I think you might want to get a hold of BitchBreaker and ask him about the alcohol chillers he is making. Last time I talked to him about them he was getting -50C with his prototype unit. It sure was a whole lot less than that thing and just as portable.

That chiller wont get ya anywhere cept broke bro,My cascade chiller's can run down to -60*c (colder at idle) and have a heat load of up to 400watt's,the only problem is there hase to be solid fluis line's to the cpu and the pump is verry special so it can last at ultra low temp's like that.the price of the single stage chiller's is up in the air atm,but the cascade unit hasent been tested yet so id advise looking into my "other" option's :) http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=924257

BTW Top Nurse..like my bed? :D

BitchBreaker said:
BTW Top Nurse..like my bed? :D

Now I know you didn't pick out that set and motif. Maybe your mom, grandma, or spouse? But it is definitely niceeee :D

Top Nurse said:
Now I know you didn't pick out that set and motif. Maybe your mom, grandma, or spouse? But it is definitely niceeee :D
maybe he likes to be tied up? :)

In fact i did pick my bedroom set out,that bed is over 100 year's old,king size round bed...yes..not square..and YES id <3 to be tied up! :D

ryuji said:
lol this thread lost its focus rather quickly
actually, based on how long ago the OP stopped posting here, i basically thought that this thread was dead until BB showed up in response to TN's linkage in his chiller thread.

BitchBreaker said:
In fact i did pick my bedroom set out,that bed is over 100 year's old,king size round bed...yes..not square..and YES id <3 to be tied up! :D

You are an amazing guy! You definitely have good tastes and good ethics...I knew you were worth taking a little extra time with. :)

This thread started 6 days ago. The OP was last online 2 days ago. How is it dead?

Tied up and alcohol chilled, doesn’t get much more kinky then that ;)

BillR said:
Tied up and alcohol chilled, doesn’t get much more kinky then that ;)

OHHhhhHHHhhhhh yes it does! :eek:\

So there i was..tied to my bed...Top Nurse come's in with the antifreez and a pair a jumper cable's in her hand's :D

BitchBreaker said:
OHHhhhHHHhhhhh yes it does! :eek:\

So there i was..tied to my bed...Top Nurse come's in with the antifreez and a pair a jumper cable's in her hand's :D

Dear God, however do I thank you for that un-forgettable visual that is now and forever stuck in my mind? ;) :D

i was holding out for finishing nails, tightly bound arms and AC current..............oh, wait, that's not erotic, that's a jail in iraq.........

Back