HPResurrection 3 MEGA

Defyant

Limp Gawd
I decided it was time to port the HPR3 worklog over here,

its comming along nicely and as youve guys have seen HP1 and HP2 evo this worklog completes the trilogy.

its goin to take some catching..... HP3 is a ways down the track, but! theres still shit loads of modding left to do!

enjoy guys.

Some of you may have seen this panel already in my mega bondo guide it was the original plan for HPres2 but never eventuated in favour of the single flat hole.

First off is to mark the centre , ill be using 120mm storm water pipe to mark with and eventually use as my blow hole ends.

mask and cut.

mypic377.jpg

Next is to cut the blow hole into 2 halves, these will become the ends.

A rumage thru the plex scrap bin to find some fillers, hold the mok up together with hot glue and a qick test to see if all fits.

mypic378.jpg

With the front panel i want the main feature to be the blow hole and some special shaped plex light diffuses i will add later.

A scrap peice of plex is clamped and heated to shape then marked and cut to size and used as the filler plate.

the front it taped and some bondo is applied the the rear of the top plate and mega blow hole, allowed to dry and bondo is applied to the front

This will be the first of 3 applications

mypic387.jpg

Once dry , its time to get dusty, using course grit a hand sander its time to knock some ruff shape into the panel.

mypic380.jpg

Using the shape of your block and using some bent paper work the shape as needed.

mypic381.jpg

Back to the bench for another layer of bondo

mypic379.jpg

Allow to dry and a ruff and final sand using finer paper.

Starting to show some shape now.

mypic383.jpg

blade putty fills in all the minor left over pinholes and a final sand and a good few coats of spray putty to seal it all down.

mypic384.jpg

Allow to cure or go-off for a few days to sink back then its time to wetrub.

A dusty coat of black paint is applied as your guide, this will show up your highs and lows and help with wetsanding.

mypic385.jpg

The end result .... a clean front panel with a Mega! blowhole.

mypic386.jpg

Can't wait to see this finished. Your mods are beautiful. I'll be following this one till the end.

Making some front plexi "high-lights" for the facia, these are cut then hand sanded to shape and will stay "unpolished" so they have a diffused look when they are lit rather then a sharp look on previous mods.

A name for them? how does "Convel Plex Light Diffusers" sound ?

Anyways they are simple highlight and will suit the theme without taking too much away from the mega blow hole

First off is to take the shape of the front then transfer it onto the plex, jigsaw cut, hand sand shape with 40 grit then finished off with some wet and dry 400grit

mypic388.jpg

mypic389.jpg

testing how the light will travel thru the plex bits.

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

next will be to drill a small hole @ one end for an LED this will light the plex.

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg

this next shot is cheeting a bit, rather than back lighting i simply shon the light from above but it give an idea of the end result :)

IMG_1308.jpg

damn thats nice. turning a pos into a work of art.

those lights look perfect.
will be looking forward to the rest of it. gj :D

edit:
what color will you be painting this one?

was goin to paint it a dark colour...but i think i'll go against the grain this time ....frost silver

silver would be cool. dark would probably be to trendy like black+ blue...but what about gloss white and blue, with black or silver accents?

decided to run a side mounted res again :) a larger single unit this time and to also highlight it with its one MEGA-type-HOLE as well :)

First off the side panel

IMG_1816.jpg

I've cut some strip of plex these can be bent to shape for the edges.

IMG_1818.jpg

using a bit of heat the strips of plex bend to shap with little effort.

IMG_1824.jpg

not too hard.

IMG_1828.jpg

ive decided to "groove" tenches around the walls, this will give a lower area for the bondo to bite down and sand back level.

IMG_1832.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

a qik re-sand on the groved areas

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1838.jpg

same with the back

IMG_1839.jpg

next is to sit the side walls back in and use some hot glue to hold it all in place.

IMG_1842.jpg

Next is a qik "fitup" test, i a big fan of the fitup test :)

IMG_1855.jpg

all fits good :)

IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

after the initial sand back i could see on the bottem edge of the side hole the bondo wasnt sticking :(

i didnt prep clean proper...... a few holes to act as "anchor points" will fix that.

IMG_1898.jpg

and some fresh bondo

IMG_1900.jpg

Some more sanding, using an old peice of plastic pipe i can wrap some 60G around it and sand the shape needed.

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

Starting to take shape :)
IMG_1923.jpg

Lil bit more work :)

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

Elledan said:
I would like to say more, but I think that the above quote says it all (^_^)

Yeah, definetly. I've never seen finer bondo work.

What exactly is the side hole for? A reservoir?

EDIT: Nevermind, I re-read your initial post :)

thanx guys :) trying to catch this worklog up with atually turning it into a spam post and just blurting the whole thing down..

Didn't want to run the old metal back plate, so i thought i'd try something different. :D
Stepping out to my favourite shop, i picked up a cut peice 8mm thick clear plex!

IMG_2724.jpg

A qik test to see it fits right, all the motherboard points and needed holes, mounts etc will be added later.

IMG_2723.jpg

IMG_2722.jpg

IMG_2710.jpg

The plex panel it self isn't the actual mod! but the idea to diffuse and light it is!

the idea came to me while doing the front light diffusers, its just going to be on a much larger scale.

A qik test on a small peice of off-cut confirms the idea will work.

IMG_2713.jpg

next is to sand the peice of plex with 1200 wet and dry, the small scratched catch the light beem and allow the whole flat surface to light, rather then just letting the light travel thru to the ends like on Hevy plex SLB mod i did for Zak.

IMG_2718.jpg

Adding some light.

IMG_2716.jpg

Once i could see that the effect was goin to work it was time to peel off the protective paper and get to work on my motherboard back panel.

Simple wetrub in the laundry sink again with 1200 W/D and a 3M rubber hand block, all of 15 mins work and is done to both sides to achive an almost frosted look.

IMG_2726.jpg

The end result.

IMG_2731.jpg

Next is to hook up some lights for testing.

IMG_2732.jpg

turn off the lights and see if it works!

IMG_2735.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

i was pretty impressed at what a great internal light feature this simple mod makes,even with the motherboard and internal bolted in there will still be enuf see-able area to keep this a main feature inside the case.

******************************************************************************************************
This! idea has since been scrapped...but ive left it in cause i thought it was a pretty cool little mod on its own :)
*******************************************************************************************************

After seeing how well the last 2 lighting mods came off, i deciced to try somthing a lil more challenging.

IMG_2401.jpg

IMG_2735.jpg

This also solved the prop and allows me to start making some progress again.

i was stuck what to add as the "top feature" of the case.

This is still in very very early stages, but i was so excited by how it was looking i had to post :)

The idea is that the skelleton will sit on top of the case, with some heat will also take the shape and "mould" to the top. a ruff sand for now, but will have a proper wetrub and clean up over the weekend.

but i think you can see the potential of this idea.

The pattern is marked out on a peice of 6mm thick plex.

IMG_3331.jpg

Some cut out fun.

IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_3339.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg

You can see here how the skel will sit on the top of the case, with some heat it will mould to the shape of the top panel.....

IMG_3343.jpg

IMG_3347.jpg

IMG_3350.jpg

After a qik sand,

this is very very ruff, and the final result will look a lot better shaped and just have a full frosted look.

IMG_3351.jpg

Add some lights.

ATM the ligting is not very even..... this is becasue the skel hasnt been properly sanded, with proper placed lights and full sanding "diffusing"
the light will have a much better even glow.

IMG_3385.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

IMG_3392.jpg

I decided to make the Fan box again!and this time keep it plex rather than bondoing over it.

IMG_5061.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg

IMG_5065.jpg

IMG_5066.jpg

IMG_5067.jpg

I decided to rout the edges this time and also do the inner circles.

IMG_5070.jpg

IMG_5072.jpg

IMG_5074.jpg

Because the PLEX is soo thick this time "10mm" i had to countersink the screw holes.

IMG_5078.jpg

IMG_5077.jpg

IMG_5080.jpg

IMG_5081.jpg

The routed edges are shined clear with flame.

IMG_5094.jpg

IMG_5100.jpg

IMG_5099.jpg

IMG_5102.jpg

the end result one lit proper the box wiill become a light feature inside the case as well has being a fan holder.

IMG_5106.jpg

IMG_5107.jpg

IMG_5111.jpg

Wow, still looking very nice. I like the plexi side panel with diffused blue light...gives me evil ideas :D .

Have you considered making a custom mesh/grill cutout for the front? If done right it would look sweet.

Not quiet sure whats to say about this next mod for HPR3!

just decided to do it! :) thought it would work in well with the rest of the mod and it's a great way to spend a sunday arvo :)

Plex PSU

Off to the plex shop and get some cut to size bits!

IMG_5112.jpg

next was to measure and install some stand offs

IMG_5115.jpg

a quick check....this is just ageneric 400watter from an oldserver

IMG_5117.jpg

Some heat sink bending will be needed!!!!!

IMG_5119.jpg

Some drilling!!!

IMG_5121.jpg

Some fitting of a switch and power socket

IMG_5122.jpg

Some sanding with wet and dry to get that nice frosted finish...1200g is used.

IMG_5124.jpg

IMG_5125.jpg

Some wiring/soldering back up up wires!

IMG_5131.jpg

IMG_5137.jpg

IMG_5128.jpg

The outer walls are glued on and the 120mm fan is added.

IMG_5135.jpg

IMG_5155.jpg

IMG_5157.jpg

IMG_5158.jpg

Some drilling thread tapping and coountersinking of holes are done to secure the lid.

IMG_5175.jpg

IMG_5178.jpg

IMG_5185.jpg

IMG_5186.jpg

The end result!!! i may still give the edges a hand beveling for a rounded look.

IMG_5187.jpg

IMG_5188.jpg

IMG_5189.jpg

IMG_5190.jpg

Hows it look?

IMG_5162.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5171.jpg

I'm amazed that you could drill, tap, AND countersink holes in plexi like that without it cracking. Very nicely done. Very very nicely done.

Hinokagutsuchi said:
I'm amazed that you could drill, tap, AND countersink holes in plexi like that without it cracking. Very nicely done. Very very nicely done.

I was thinking the same exact thing. I would have messed up somewhere.

VERY nice work.

I wonder if "frosted" plexi would look good on my project...

Naturally, you've considered the fact that the metal case of a PSU is there to act as a Faraday cage, haven't you? I wouldn't run data cables anywhere near this PSU, if I were you ^_-

It looks fantastic, though :)

DarkenReaper57 said:
I was thinking the same exact thing. I would have messed up somewhere.

VERY nice work.

I wonder if "frosted" plexi would look good on my project...

Well its easy, i have done it, you just need to use real low speeds, and start with a thiner drill and step bit by bit to the measure you want.

awesome work on this. i really need to get to work on a mod of some sort... and finish my new side panel...

good luck with the rest of it.
i'm invincible!

awsome way of taking something beige and ugly and turning it into a work of art, i cant wait to see the final product

hehehe Komataguri what i did with it next is even more !!!!!! :eek:

back to moddding guys! ;)

MEGA RES

You all knew HPR3-MEGA was going to have a "MEGA" res! but what no one was to know was the external effect of this res was to be.

the back custom back board lighting effect was not only to provide light internally but extrenally as well!!

The board gives off more light then id ever expected.. and is truly an amazing effect to see in RL.. and will also provide light for the MEGA RES Feature!

First off was to finish building HPR3's Mega-Resthis is is HUGE..and it had to be :p @ 400mm long and 80mm accross the RES is going to be a main feature.

i opted this time for full 10mm thick tops and bottems as these would also act the the main and only anchor points for the MEGA res.

the partially built res.

IMG_5792.jpg

IMG_5803.jpg

Top peice and 1/2" fittings

IMG_5798.jpg

the HEX head bolts that will secure the res to the motherboard back wall.

using a "thing-a-majig" to find dead centre of the circle, these things are great.

IMG_5808.jpg

IMG_5809.jpg

the innner thread on the bsb gas type fittings is 12mm spot on. an 11.5mm drill is used for the holes.

IMG_5811.jpg

IMG_5812.jpg

Back