HPResurrection 3 MEGA

DRilling and tapping the threads.

IMG_5813.jpg

IMG_5816.jpg

IMG_5817.jpg

A good clean thread is important a perfect seal is a must.

IMG_5820.jpg

Next is to drill and thread the top and bottem of the MEGA res

IMG_5824.jpg

Next drill and counter sink the motherboard back panel.This will allow the HEX head bolt to sit down flush and avoid touching the MB..also looks spiffy too!

IMG_5822.jpg

IMG_5823.jpg

Bolting up the MEGA res for as test run! a view from inside the case....i think you can already see the light effect this is going give off!

IMG_5826.jpg

IMG_5828.jpg

Again the flush fitting of the HEX bolt.

IMG_5829.jpg

a view from the outer side.

IMG_5831.jpg

NEXT! was to put those LED's to good use!! and i gotta say......its great to see somethings just work to plan!

the first shot was under almost full light....and still i was impressed.

IMG_5832.jpg

Next was with one light on in the workshop

IMG_5833.jpg

Finally lights out!!!!!!! the MEGA res looks so classy really catches the light off thr back panel.......

IMG_5835.jpg

IMG_5836.jpg

IMG_5837.jpg

IMG_5841.jpg

Next was to try the MEGA res with the "bondo'd" custom side panel......the effect is more than i'd had hoped for... thelight that comes thru is very even and intense.

IMG_5844.jpg

IMG_5846.jpg

Whats that i hear you say?? "but defyant! dosn't the back panel have "RED" lights as well!"

Well it sure does guys :) take a look see HPR3's Mega Res can not only look cool! but RED HOT as well :p

IMG_5865.jpg

IMG_5854.jpg

IMG_5866.jpg

IMG_5850.jpg

IMG_5849.jpg

And perhaps for the most amazing side bonus of having both RED and BLUE lights!! heres somthing i didnt see comming!

IMG_5864.jpg

IMG_5863.jpg

IMG_5856.jpg

IMG_5858.jpg

IMG_5857.jpg

im having soooo much fun playing with this new technique.... and i may still "frost" the whole res yet!!

More soon guys.

You owe me a new pair of underwear...

Man. I wish I had a Mega Res =(, lol.

Oh yes, the Red + Blue LED Effect = Sex. Good job.

Wow I'm amazed, only if one of these OEM computer companies can hire a guy like you, I bet that those designs would attract many new customers. If you'd present this to HP, I think you'd be making big bucks by now. :D

0mega said:
if only the images worked in firefox... now i have to drag out IE -_-
umm, dumb ass the pics work fine in fire fox, i think your doing somthing wrong

I thought posting that kind of thing on the forums was against the rules :eek: :p
Hewlett and Packard would both shit a brick.
So true, you gave me the funniest mental image of them ogling at the case as two bricks drop out of their pants legs! ROFL!
(BTW I had to sig that!)

Soz guys! it might just be a traffic prob with PB..... i too notice that sometimes the piccs just dont laod or a really slow to come up....the sites where i post are clocking up 800k+ hits a month so i guess i can get a bit slow at times... :(

Thanx for all the great comment tho guys :) i really appreciate the support here @ [H}

love your work, esp liking the bondo you have done to the front fan intake which I'm going to try my hand at as well for a system I'm building slowly. I hope you dont mind too much, first time me using bondo (P38 in the UK)

You all knew that HPR3 was going to have a motherboard cover :) just like HP2 and Heveyplex SLB i wanted to carry the tradition into this mod as well.

But knew i had to come up with something new....something or an idea that hasnt been seen before.

The hole internal frosted plex theme was goin to be the biggest bonus for this next mod and would allow me to do something that was a little more "out-there"

Of course the material of choice is plex!! a pretty much freehand pattern is cut using the good o'l jigsaw....

IMG_6433.jpg

Next was to bend the edges to make the" Cage"

IMG_6434.jpg

IMG_6436.jpg

The paper is stripped off and the cage is layed in for a test fit :)

IMG_6437.jpg

IMG_6439.jpg

I picked abunch of these little fans up,while i dont think the cage needs any extra cooling i just thought the frosted look of the mini fan would make a geat looking addition.

IMG_6501.jpg

A hole is meaured, marked and cut

IMG_6498.jpg

IMG_6502.jpg

Another is added for the AGP card and allows for the water cooling.

IMG_6499.jpg

With the 2 main holes cut with only the CPU cooling holes to be added later the cage is taken inside and frost sanded, with 800g wet and dry.

IMG_6505.jpg

A back wall that was previously cut was also sanded.

IMG_6508.jpg

the new panels are slotted in and again checked for fit.

IMG_6511.jpg

The cage will allow for plenty of airflow to pass thru its large claw type arches

IMG_6517.jpg

IMG_6518.jpg

IMG_6520.jpg

IMG_6525.jpg

IMG_6535.jpg

The previously modded DD-TDX block is bolted in, holes are marked and drilled for the the water lines to pass thru.

IMG_6533.jpg

IMG_6534.jpg

All thats left to at this stage is to see how the cage works with the rest of the lighting.

with all blue lighting , the cage only needs 2 extra lights for a full effect.

IMG_6536.jpg

IMG_6537.jpg

With the backbard lit red and blue lights in the cage

IMG_6569.jpg

IMG_6572.jpg

and again using both red and blue lights to produce a purple effect on the back board.

IMG_6562.jpg

IMG_6567.jpg

IMG_6566.jpg

it looks like the cage lighting doesn't diffuse very well. is that just in the picture, or is it really like that?

looks really cool tho (especially with the red backboard)

Very impressed. I've never seen this done before.

You might want to add a few more LED's to the motherboard cage cover though, as it looks like it the lighting doesn't diffuse well (as rogue_jedi said).

Keep up the excellent work!

WOW :eek:

This is sweet. Keep up the pics and fantastic work. I love the designs for the mobo cover and that other thing way back there on top of the case. :cool:

This is coming along really super nicely. I have a suggestion, your frosted pieces look beautiful, but they seem to be blurring all together! Perhaps you could cover up your pieces with plenty of 3m tape and paint an outline on them. Maybe even put some tribal graphics or cracks or something in them.

This project makes me hot...

But on a more serious note, the idea of using that cooling fan on the northbridge is utterly smart. Since you have that mobo cover like that, the fan is going to get air from the outside of the mobo cover, pushing it in towards the NB heatsink. Thats smart...

Amazing job so far! Its nice to see a worklog 4 pages long having the majority of it being the worklog! Ive come not to expect much from a worklog only 4 pages as most of it seems to be comments, but this thing is LOADED with pics! Lovin it!

Thanx guys! :D

appreciate the feedback and awsome comments,

the lighting for the board was just "ahem" temp! very temp... glued on leds :p

the plex used for this was only 4.5mm...way to thin to drill holes into and just plug the LED's in :(

The solution was to go back and use an old mod originaly designed for HP2.

The good old flex light leads....this time i'll need to put a spin into the mod, Again needing to supply a Dual light source of red and blue and rather then pugging 6 lights onto the cover i decided to make some custom Dual Flex Light Leads :)

One of each RED and BLUE Led are wired up,

IMG_6894.jpg

Next is the housing, simple cut peice of 10mm clear plex tube.

IMG_6882.jpg

Next a simple groove or slot i cut into thew end of the lead

IMG_6885.jpg

this allows the LED housing to slip over the edge of the cage.

IMG_6886.jpg

i'll be using 3 sets of lights for the cover...but may add more later if the lighting dosn't come out too even.

IMG_6889.jpg

The Wired LEDS are slipped inside the Housings.

IMG_6895.jpg

Some tech flex is used to hide the wires and a dob of hotglue is placed inthe hoousing to stop the assembly falling apart.

IMG_6896.jpg

Heat shink is used to make it all look nice and pro :)

IMG_6897.jpg

IMG_6898.jpg

IMG_6899.jpg

Last but not least... some "lights out" action!

IMG_6900.jpg

IMG_6903.jpg

IMG_6905.jpg

very nice! where'd you get the plexi tube from?

also, if you mentioned this i missed it... (just reviewed thread too) how do you frost your plexi? wetsanding?

edit: just saw this... "frost sanded with 800g, wet and dry" would you mind explaining what you meant a bit?

rogue_jedi said:
very nice! where'd you get the plexi tube from?

also, if you mentioned this i missed it... (just reviewed thread too) how do you frost your plexi? wetsanding?

edit: just saw this... "frost sanded with 800g, wet and dry" would you mind explaining what you meant a bit?

sure mate :) just use 800grit wet and dry sandpaper, if your after a "finer look" use some 1500-2000 gthis will give more of a smooth look.

I usually do this under running water in a large laundry basin, work back and forth...no zig zagging or circles! do both sides til your happy with the effect.

This is the continuation of the front panel idea. i had originaly made 3 light fins the top one will act as the door for the cdrom.

These were all made from 10mm thick plex cut then hand shaped.

IMG_6791.jpg

The problem was, the top one bearly covered the cdrom hole.

Was time to craft a bigger unit !!!

This is a massive chunck of plex! @ near 20mm x 20mm this was not easy to bend into shape 5 mins of solid hot air gun had it like rubber.

It was then lay'd over the from of HP3's front and left to cool down and go hard again.

IMG_0975.jpg

Clamping the plex to the bench and using the dremal to knock the corners off.

IMG_0994.jpg

40 minutes of hand sanding and the new door is taking shape.

IMG_1005.jpg

a quik test to see that it covers the cdrom opening

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

and its back for some more hand sanding

IMG_1030.jpg

after another 20 minutes the peice is almost at the right shape.

some work is done to the matching middle strip

IMG_1032.jpg

and the 3 peices wrk from large to small ...the larger veing the cdrom door the smaller 2 being for balance and athestics.

IMG_1034.jpg

the thicker top plex contour will have to attach to the cdcrom door , for this a custom extension block is needed.

the block will act as the spacer between the new cdrom door and the cdrom tray itself.

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

The block is shaped to suit the conture of the new plex door

IMG_1040.jpg

and a qick mock up is done to see all is goin to plan.

IMG_1045.jpg

As seen above the new cdrom door has now been sanded with finer gritt paper and has a smooth frost look.

The spacer block is to be left clear and not frosted, holes are added to help lighten the load and to add some asthectics.

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

This new unit is not to be attached to the cdrom tray to become one.

Holes are drilled in the tray

IMG_1050.jpg

matching holes are also drilled into the connecting block

IMG_1051.jpg

Threaded using a 5/32 fine tap

IMG_1054.jpg

the whole unit is then bolted together using hex head SS bolts.

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

With the cdrom in this now add as the joiner between the tray and the new plex door.

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1065.jpg

The front door will be eventually attached after painting of the case and a special "silicon strip of double sided clear plex tape " will be used to hold it in place.

The end look will be the 3 plex contours sitting spaced evenly and dual lit.

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

it does feel good to be modding this case again! :)

Fantastic work, very high quality as usual. However, I can't help but be alittle dissapointed, I was expecting something alittle more "revolutionary" but I suppose I can't wait for a few more updates.

Are you concerned about the amount of weight that plexi will add? I had a drive stealthed on my current computer, and all that weight really took a toll on the drive. However, i'm sure you know what your doin, and that case is absolutely gorgeous!

YmkFX said:
Fantastic work, very high quality as usual. However, I can't help but be alittle dissapointed, I was expecting something alittle more "revolutionary" but I suppose I can't wait for a few more updates.

soz mate :( gotta hold somethings back for HP4!!! ;)

Cheers Carbon_Le

RAA-Kr1cH said:
Are you concerned about the amount of weight that plexi will add? I had a drive stealthed on my current computer, and all that weight really took a toll on the drive. However, i'm sure you know what your doin, and that case is absolutely gorgeous!

Gee! i hope its not too hevy mate, gotta be honest i really didnt think about it. :(

But i did give it a test run ! piccys up soon and did seem to function ok!

Remember unlike HP-1 but more like HP-2 , HP-3 will be more a of a show "display" pc and not a daily pc. altho the hardware will be average spec, it will spend most of its like on display.

DR_K13 said:
ok ok!!!

Back