Careful on the Opteron's

New a third stepping has been found CABYE: see below for info

The original Opterons coming out were CABNE chips, while the newer ones seem to be CABGE chips -- what does this mean???

CABNE is the same silicon/manufacturing line as the FX57's in other words they are FX57 cores.

CABGE is the same silicon/manufacturing line as the 3700+/4000+ cores, and will probably not clock nearly as well.

CABYE only reported before with an opteron, specifically the 254, 2.6 ghz stable at 1.3 V's and max 3.1 ghz stable on water, gundamit's chip is doing what looks like around 3 ghz max stable on water (his is an opteron 148)

Here is a refernce to one of the FX57 CABNE cpus, i found a few others.

Oh and I'm pretty sure the first five letters in the second line is the best indicator, and one who has CAA2C 3000+ DTR would agree (FX55) :)

CHAoS_NiNJA said:
Oh you've gotta be kidding me, are they gonna be lower quality? I swear if AMD pulls some shit on us I'll go fucking intel. I swear it.

:rolleyes:

if you buy a socket 939 opteron146 and it meets and exceeds opteron 146 specifications, it is not AMD "pulling some shit" that a chip will only overclock 800mhz instead of 1000mhz

my lowly 3000+ socket 939 is a 1.8ghz part, and seems to stick around 2.4ghz or so, no farther....damn them to hell it should do 4ghz on air and massage my sore feet too.

raistlinzero said:
:rolleyes:

if you buy a socket 939 opteron146 and it meets and exceeds opteron 146 specifications, it is not AMD "pulling some shit" that a chip will only overclock 800mhz instead of 1000mhz

my lowly 3000+ socket 939 is a 1.8ghz part, and seems to stick around 2.4ghz or so, no farther....damn them to hell it should do 4ghz on air and massage my sore feet too.

My thoughts exactly. What exactly do you mean by "pulling some shit." They aren't in the business of downclocking CPU's to sell and have them be OC'd way over spec. You pay for a 146 and you get a 146 if it exceeds spec's then hey you're lucky.

if they are in demand they have to actually produce enough chips to meet demand

the chips that you insist are of lower quality still meet and exceed all specs for the chips they are being sold as.

it would be false advertising or pulling shit if they were selling them at a rating they were incapable of meeting.

EDIT for example: If speed grade X is in demand and you need more of them, and the chip Y you are selling as speed X is not up to meeting the volume you anticipate, but if you mix some of chip Z into the equation and chip Z does speed grade X, there is no cause for concern.

I doubt AMD thought up this elaborate plan of "sell A+ chips then when those are out put out some "B" chips and screw everyone over" Point in case with the Venice's.

edit: they aren't "lower quality" if they can run at rated spec speeds. also over reacted is right because I read the same thing you posted in about 3 threads. No offense though, just pointing out a fact.

"Oh my! He speaks against his holiness, AMD! Quickly, damn the heathen!"

I really don't give a shit about demand or plans or whatever. The point is that they're lowering the quality of the chips, planed or not, and i'm not happy about it. If nVidia were to do anything similar on their 7800 cards, all the nV f4nboys would have a fit, so why is it such a surprise I'm upset about this?

And yes, they ARE lower quality. Just as the 4000+ is of (slightly) lower quality then the FX-57.

Also, asainguy80, you can't talk shit, you already HAVE one of the FX-57-style Ops. I'm pissed because I'm going to be getting what equals to a 4000+ for the same price you paid for a FX-57-style core.

CHAoS_NiNJA said:

I really don't give a shit about demand or plans or whatever. The point is that they're lowering the quality of the chips, planed or not, and i'm not happy about it. If nVidia were to do anything similar on their 7800 cards, all the nV f4nboys would have a fit, so why is it such a surprise I'm upset about this?

And yes, they ARE lower quality. Just as the 4000+ is of (slightly) lower quality then the FX-57.

Also, asainguy80, you can't talk shit, you already HAVE one of the FX-57-style Ops. I'm pissed because I'm going to be getting what equals to a 4000+ for the same price you paid for a FX-57-style core.

It's intended purpose is for servers, not people like us... While we can use them and they are neat processors, we aren't the targeted consumer for Opterons.

They still have very good quality and AMD under rates the Opteron series for reliabilty. NOT for overclocking, if you want to oc, go get an FX ;)

AMD is not required to let you have a gem of an overclocker for fairly cheap. When they start using different silicon to meet demands, don't get mad.. You should be happy that they atleast give you this option in the first place.

jmho..

bah, if intel did the same thing with a 3700mhz chip and put in a core that could only do 4000mhz instead of 4200, i'd still defend the manufacturer.

it's not fan boyism, i've run intel machines, my work machine is a p4, our SMP test boxes at work are xeons, my file server at home is a p4 dell.

i bought what i bought this time around because it was a compelling purchase at the time, and i will just as easily buy what ever offers the best deal to me next time around too, might be intel again finally, might be via coming out of left field with something besides a chip suitable for embedded applications, who knows.

I treat any overclock i get out of any of my devices as an added bonus above what i paid for, and any extra at all over the rated speed is appreciated.

now then, stop being so defensive, no one is flaming you, and you bring out the fan boy word, and that always leads to unpleasantness.

e-friends? :p

mpcamer1220 said:
They still have very good quality and AMD under rates the Opteron series for reliabilty. NOT for overclocking, if you want to oc, go get an FX ;)

Man, you're right! Just like |(illa Bee! I'll just pick that thousand dollars of my magical fucking money tree over here and be on my way!

What does the 4000+ do on air? 2.8ghz?

If it is that same core for the next batch of 144 and 146 opterons, what is the OC going to be on the 146s? 800mhz?

That is roughly a 40% overclock, those cheap bastards should be shot on sight, who's with me? I'll bring the pitchforks, who has the torches?

does everything else you own in every other aspect of your life perform 50% better than rated if you push it really hard that a mere 40% increase is this insulting to you?

EDIT: i'll tell you what, you buy my winchester i bought before the venices came out off me for 50 bucks and take the 600mhz overclock dirt cheap, and i'll suffer in silence and take the chip that does a mere 2.8ghz

raistlinzero said:
does everything else you own in every other aspect of your life perform 50% better than rated if you push it really hard that a mere 40% increase is this insulting to you?

Hell yeah, you should see how fast my toaster makes pure carbon.

If I buy a 1.8 chip and hits anywhere between 2.6-3.0(or more) for around 150 im happy as hell.

raistlinzero said:
EDIT: i'll tell you what, you buy my winchester i bought before the venices came out off me for 50 bucks and take the 600mhz overclock dirt cheap, and i'll suffer in silence and take the chip that does a mere 2.8ghz
Careful with that, or I'll take you seriously and insist you honor it! ;)
Seriously, I'll buy it for $50 if you're offering!

On-topic:
Nothing new to add- it's a bit of a pity, but from 1.6GHz up to 2.6GHz is still a damned impressive OC. Especially when you consider that 2.6 is just under where my Newcastle gets, except that mine is a default 2.4.

CHAoS_NiNJA said:

I'm not trying to talk shit. I'm bringing out a point. If I was in your boat and was waiting on an Opteron and found this news out I'd be upset but I wouldn't jump the AMD boat and go so far as to say "if amd pulls some shit i'm going intel" they are meeting a demand for a product.

I'm one of the lucky ones that got a CABNE 146. How many other people have gotten lucky with first batch cpu's. Many from what I've read. You might be in it for the e-penis but i'm in it for the value and even the reliability of it. Even if they were to come out with the CABGE and it wasn't going to be equal to the CABNE I'd still jump on it because it has 1MB L2 Cache and it's cheaper than a Sandy 3700 @ 275 retail boxed. I don't have extreme cooling like LN2, DIce, Water, or phase so i can't say "OMG this 0pt3ron r0xz0rz my b0xz0rz!11oenone!!1!1111"

Cannibal Corpse said:
How can you tell (before you place the order) that what batch are you getting?

The only way would be a phone call with a physical hand check. Or maybe when you order you make the operator walk to the warehouse and get the stepping you want :p

mavalpha said:
Careful with that, or I'll take you seriously and insist you honor it! ;)
Seriously, I'll buy it for $50 if you're offering!

On-topic:
Nothing new to add- it's a bit of a pity, but from 1.6GHz up to 2.6GHz is still a damned impressive OC. Especially when you consider that 2.6 is just under where my Newcastle gets, except that mine is a default 2.4.

you mean 1.8 to 2.6

I like free cache.

64 3000+ =512 L2 =$150

Opteron 144 =1024 L2 =$150

If I were so obsessed about OC'ing I would spend money on a real overclocker and some liquid cooling.

GET CREDIT!

AMD rules! They sell cheap Procs for a great price. If AMD wasn't around, Pentium would have us paying top dollar for all desktop Procs.

Whoever says AMD scams is a nutjob, and needs to buy Pentium Picerons.......I mean Pissiums, to appreciate AMD again.

Does anyone know how these new chips OC? I know how well the old ones do, but how about these new ones? Do they still have 1MB of L2 Cache?

yes, they still have 1mb of l2, its still the same core. it's just "supposedly" being made of a different part of silicon (the part used for 4000+ a64 chips instead of fx chips)

has anyone actually confirmed this?

I overclocked my company elevator to go 50% faster (minor stability probs, few deaths here and there), if I can only overclock my cpu 40% then AMD deserves to get shot.

When you get a great deal instead of an impossibly good deal, you aren't doing bad. Where would you need the extra 200mhz anyway?

yeah, by the time that 200mhz really matters for practical use, i think you're going to want a complete system overhaul anyways.

seeing as the new ones havent even been shipped yet, i dont think so :p

the current situation is they're out of stock everywhere, but according to the original poster, the next shipment's going to start giving the 4000+ type core instead of fx's. which isn't really much of a difference...

CHAoS_NiNJA said:
A) Don't roll your e-eyes at me, ass.
B) I mis-read the post, my bad
C) Your smart-ass remarks impress no one.

I over-reacted when I read the post, yeah, I know. I just freaked for a second because the thought of my dream machine being lowed in anyway...well...pissed me off.

The "pulling some shit" comment came from AMD lowering the quality of these chips after seeing how in-demand they are.

I hope you get an fx-57 core that only overclocks 100 mhz, make sure to post your reaction if you get one that does.

oh man that sucks...someone get to benchin

robberbarron and (cf)!!! we need you!!!

biggrin.gif

i think "eclipse" would be more recognized than "(cf)" :p

and these havent shipped yet, so theres no way they could have one even if they wanted to get another one. they already have the early "good" ones, why would they spend money to oc the same processor again?

*edit* ok fine sry they have been seen, but eclipse/baron have the better ones, so i still dont think they'd b willing to go out and buy another one just for the sake of seeing how far it'll oc :p

pls be more careful when you quote what I say. the processors people have been receiving more recently are of the CABGE type, they do not overclock as well as the CABNE, and you can tell just by the lettering which core is better. I don't have any inside info, it may be that the next batch is 50/50 on the procesoors or all CABNE, all I am saying is that some people have been receiving the CABGE processors so when you go to buy one you should look for the CABNE which is the FX57 core.

AND YES THEY HAVE SHIPPED people on xtremesystems.org have receivved them, so pls don't say things that you have no evidence for.

And every1 giving other people crap because they are disappointed in the chance they are going to get a crappier core STFU, the reason why these processors are bought is of course to get the most bang for the buck, that is also the main point of the forums, don't get on your high chair and be like "you should be happy if you get any OC over what its rated at it is only suppose to perform where its rated" you Sallies piss me off. If people just wanted a 1 mb cache processor at 1.8 ghz on the cheap they could pick up a 3000+ DTR for around $120 and a cheap S754 mobo...but people are here for performance they care about the xtra 200 mhz, they care about the 5% gain achieved by going to dual channel

Socrilles17 said:
And every1 giving other people crap because they are disappointed in the chance they are going to get a crappier core STFU, the reason why these processors are bought is of course to get the most bang for the buck, that is also the main point of the forums, don't get on your high chair and be like "you should be happy if you get any OC over what its rated at it is only suppose to perform where its rated" you Sallies piss me off. If people just wanted a 1 mb cache processor at 1.8 ghz on the cheap they could pick up a 3000+ DTR for around $120 and a cheap S754 mobo...but people are here for performance they care about the xtra 200 mhz, they care about the 5% gain achieved by going to dual channel

QFT. Good post.

Socrilles17 said:

QFT

agreed, thanks for the warning techhead. my rig is kinda down so i can't settle flying rumors like this quickly ;)

Soymilk said:
i still dont think they'd b willing to go out and buy another one just for the sake of seeing how far it'll oc :p
really? :D
we'll see on that one. i need a couple people to donate me $5 or something. i'm $50 short of my goal. vandi is holding a 146 CABNE 0530APMW with a serial of 001 for me for when i can pay him. the very first of the batch, potentially the core in the middle. it might be fun to play with
wink.gif

anyhow, back on topic. CABGE vs CABNE. there's really no way of telling which will definitly be better... also, from what i can tell, there is only one CABGE result at XS, but it does seem pretty lame compared to what we're used to seeing.
this is something somewhat typical of AMD. the first batches of chips almost always oc better, because they don't bother doing any real binning. they just make a bunch and throw em out into the wild, presumably to test demand. to those of you complaining about this.. don't. there's no logic or reason behind your concerns. if i were to pick an opteron that does 2.6-2.8ghz with 1mb cache for $150 or an venice 3000+ with 512kb cache for the same amount that clocks to the same speeds.. it's still obvious which one is the better deal. 1mb pwns 512kb in responsiveness everyday :cool:

(cf)Eclipse said:
really? :D
we'll see on that one. i need a couple people to donate me $5 or something. i'm $50 short of my goal. vandi is holding a 146 CABNE 0530APMW with a serial of 001 for me for when i can pay him. the very first of the batch, potentially the core in the middle. it might be fun to play with
wink.gif

omg are you kidding me?! If i'd know he was choosing serial's i would have asked for something closer to 0 ... i got a 27 boo let us know how it goes eclipse

edit: pm me ur paypal and i'll donate $5 to the cause...when i get some funds that is...

Back