X2 - Un-Capped

orkan

[H]ard|Gawd
I finally got up the nerve to strip my X2 4400 today. About 5 minutes of calming myself down... and about 10minutes to actually do it. Hacking away on a $500 processor with a razor blade... talk about making a dude sweat!

X2_uncapped.jpg

Idle temps only dropped 2c. Load temps dropped 6c!!! Amazing. After this experience I firmly believe that IHS are the devil.

I was using my whitewater block to test today. Going to switch over to the storm this weekend when the rest of my stuff gets here.

i remember when ppl were crying for amd to put an ihs on the k7.. ahh, memories.

nice job on the temp drop... might net you some more speed.

Jason711 said:
nice job on the temp drop... might net you some more speed.

thx. :)

I tried to bump it up a bit, but it doesn't look like it is helping much. Much lower temps, but core 0 still goes nuts if I take it up past 2.8ghz.

Still stable @2.7 though. We'll see what happens when I strap that Storm on there.

yes. It's what it took to hit 2.7ghz stable. Took it all the way up to 1.85vcore, but it didn't yeild higher clocks.

cpuz.jpg

Starfox said:
HA! I do that on air.

Ohhh boy. Don't give me any idea's! I'm at 1.49v to run my X2 stable at 2.6. Now im gonna go home and play with voltage again... /sigh. I swear its a bug... and it never stoping biting me.

people always claims how good of an overclocker they are and messes up w/ what you have come up with, and makes you inferior as you think you can't overclock as well as these people. i've burnt a couple CPU's this way, when i was still new to Oc'ing and listening to people who brags of what thye've accomplished.

My 2 cents, DON'T LISTEN TO THIS PEOPLE. All they do is talk and put it on their SIGNATURES!!! Can't even show evidence of what they've done except talk and brag....
IF YOU DON'T SHOW IT, YOU DON'T HAVE IT, IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT...STFU!!!

Umm...I don't know...

I read the thread and what I got out of it was a gentleman telling us that he removed the IHS on his X2 and yielded lower temps. Doesn't sound like bragging to me.

It takes balls to do something like that to a $500 processor. Congratulations.

Here's to the storm getting you to 2.8

rysher said:
people always claims how good of an overclocker they are and messes up w/ what you have come up with, and makes you inferior as you think you can't overclock as well as these people. i've burnt a couple CPU's this way, when i was still new to Oc'ing and listening to people who brags of what thye've accomplished.

My 2 cents, DON'T LISTEN TO THIS PEOPLE. All they do is talk and put it on their SIGNATURES!!! Can't even show evidence of what they've done except talk and brag....
IF YOU DON'T SHOW IT, YOU DON'T HAVE IT, IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT...STFU!!!
wow, what sparkling and informed discourse.

so, instead of taking his word regarding what voltage he is pushing in order to get what clock, we are supposed to take your work about having burned out components, without your noting any of the conditions that you subjected your computer to........great......

it's sounding rather like you did something dumb to your own stuff back in the day, and you broke some things, and now whenever someone shows their results after having done a mod which anyone with half a brain should know is risky, you jump up and down saying that they didn't really do it, it didn't really given them such good results and no one should do it for themselves. great.

that doesn't sound too much like 2 cents to me. i'm thinking 0.5 cents at best.

shut your god damn pie-hole, because anyone who reads or looks at this activity should realize that it is a risky mod to do. your jumping and shouting doesn't add anything usefull to the thread. don't tell me that you didn't know that pushing high voltages was risky if and when you did it. everyone who tries it should know that they run the risk of cooking something if they do it.

@orkan: got anything to say about the boys over at xtreme brushing your results using storm, whitewater and apogee aside without having pushed the Vcore themselves? comment on the reporting around 50C temps when they pushed it with only 1.52V and 2.7GHz?

wow, nice job, I would never even take a razorblade near a $500 X-2 even if it would help. I just don't want something to go wrong. Now if I had the money I would. I did however do it to a Sempron 3000+ of mine. it does make a small difference, just one thing less to trap heat.

oooooo so tempting....

Nice job, I need to get to OCing mine again. Got it up to 2.5 @ 1.45V but gave up as ti was unstable and went back to 2.2 I don't think I have the patiance... I want results right now not after tweaking for 2 hours. :(

That's one mad way of getting a nice fob for your keys!

So do tell, what are you going to do with the lid?

i'm gonna try this when the dual core opterons come down in price a bit and i can afford to bung my venice if it happens :D

Can you give step by step how you removed it or just simply work each corner slowly?

wait, you go through all that trouble AND THEN SET IT ON THE CARPET?

you are teh crazies.

BioPort said:
wait, you go through all that trouble AND THEN SET IT ON THE CARPET?

you are teh crazies.

Notice it's on a foam pad...its not actually touching his berber carpet.

Nice job tho... my 3800X2 does 2.8 @1.5v on AIR! :p Im going remove to my IHS after xmas.

Nice job... but without the ihs installed dont you have to worry more about the die being crushed when you tighten the heatsink down?

I heard the best way to remove the IHS is with some nylon fishing line, you use it like a saw, that way you don't risk cutting in to the wafer with a razor blade.

I will give it a go after I upgrade since the CPU I have right now is crap for OC'ing.

linger said:
Nice job... but without the ihs installed dont you have to worry more about the die being crushed when you tighten the heatsink down?
remember that athlon XPs?

a 90 nm single core is pretty ticklish......130 nm or dual 90nm, not too much different.

Kaiga said:
wow, nice job, I would never even take a razorblade near a $500 X-2 even if it would help. I just don't want something to go wrong. Now if I had the money I would. I did however do it to a Sempron 3000+ of mine. it does make a small difference, just one thing less to trap heat.

At least if something had gone wrong- like a chipped die- the razor would have come in handy for the sweet release of death.

I wouldnt use fishing line but give it a go if youd like. In my experience the blades in safety razors (think 1$ bic) are thin and sharp enough to cut right through it. They are also flexible so you have much less risk of taking a capacitor off when taking the IHS off.

I popped the top off my X2 a few days ago. I have a Big Typoon on the core. My temps dropped dramatically over 10c on load.

The x2 cores are pretty tough.

I want to pop mine, but I won't do it till I get a way better HSF, one that I know will touch it for sure.

AHHAHAHAHAHAHA.... i just did this, and guess what? rofl.... none of my HS/F will make contact to the die :( waaaaaaaaaaaah /me dies

Back