X2 - Un-Capped

hey ace, watch out for them half step multipliers man, they aint real, but more like approximations in practice... use 9 orr 10 bu not 9.5 no insult just sayin

hey orkan. for some reason your particular thread here, might have been what tipped the scales and i really think i will be un capping my opterown this weekend. sigh.

el rolio said:
hey orkan. for some reason your particular thread here, might have been what tipped the scales and i really think i will be un capping my opterown this weekend. sigh.

Its not as hard as people led off in other threads I've seen. You just have to be careful. Go slow!

I took my time and it only took me 10 minutes with 2 single-edge razors.

and i pick up these razors from my friendly neighborhood hardware shop? im a graphic designer, i have many many xacto's, can i use those or the blades too thin?

That fishing line idea didn't sound too bad. However, I've done allot of fishing in my 40+ years and there's this line made of Kevlar, not nylon mono-filament, that would probably really work well. After all, they make bullet proof vests out of Kevlar and I can speak from experience when I tell you that Spiderwire or any of the Kevlar fishing line is some tough stuff. Would probably work like a cable saw and less to no risk of cutting through the wrong thing. Just thought I'd mention it, just not ready to de-cap-itate my FX-53 yet.

BTW, nice job orkan! I've always wanted to see what the Die looked like under those heatspreaders, without cutting off the cap. Thanks! Maybe some day, when I really feel the need for...
:D

Jason711 said:
i remember when ppl were crying for amd to put an ihs on the k7.. ahh, memories.

nice job on the temp drop... might net you some more speed.

That's because people kept cracking the core since they didn't know how to put on the heat sink properly

oo i have a question then. so the black stuff we are cutting.... is it lower than the core? as in after i cut it would i have to shave it down or clean it off? or will it leave residue on the bottom of my block? any of these things? ha

el rolio said:
and i pick up these razors from my friendly neighborhood hardware shop? im a graphic designer, i have many many xacto's, can i use those or the blades too thin?

Yeah... any hardware shop would have them. xacto's would proabbly work... but you wont have the control of a flat, longer blade.

orkan said:
Yeah... any hardware shop would have them. xacto's would proabbly work... but you wont have the control of a flat, longer blade.

yea but the concept is the xactos would be in their handles... nott the bare blad in my hand. that way i was thinkin its MORE control? since with the blades in the pic there is less space to hold whereas my entire hand would be on the xacto handle

well, i pulled up my skirt and found my balls. i uncapped my A64 3200. they TIM they put on these things is utter crap (between the core and the IHS). it's that brittle shit that comes on cheapo HSF units. blech. cleaned the core, and remounted my big typhoon. now the problem is that when i stand my case up, the HSF unit is so heavy that it only makes contact with the lower section of the cpu die. therefore, when i do this, i get a temp rise of 30F! if i lay the case flat on it's side, so the HSF is vertical, the temps go about 15F below where they were before the mod, and that's across the board (load or idle). I was able to get 50more mhz outta the cpu at the same volts as i was running before though. I am being held back my running 4 sticks of ram. poo. guess i'll have to spring for 2x1GB to really go higher. here's the specs:

Athlon64 3200 (running 235x10, 4xHT)
4x 512MB Kingston ValueRAM (2.5-3-3-8 @2T)
MSI Neo2 Platinum
ThermalTake Big Typhoon
Sapphire Radeon x800XT (running PE speed)
2x80GB Seagate 7200.7 in RAID-0
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Antec Sonata w/2x120mm fans
Enermax 470w PSU (dual fan 2x80mm)
Plextor 16x DVD-ROM
Plextor 16x DVD-R (px-7116A)

System will now boot with 2 sticks of RAM @ 295x9=2655, mem running 133 divider, 2.5-3-3-8 @ 1T. At this speed, completely stable...alas, the Winchester just can't hack it with 4 sticks any higher than 235 on the FSB, no matter the CPU multiplier. Anyone got 2 sticks of 1GB pc3200 to donate? This is a great mod...you'll probably not have issues with an X2 CPU, as the core is larger, allowing for more contact surface, as opposed to my vanilla 3200. Guess i'll just run the bastard on it's side for now!

Bigjohns97 said:
geno : if you haven't shipped your fx55 off try putting 4 pieces of electric tape around the sides of the core to cover up the little gates on the green part of the chip and starting it back up.

I saw this in a thread over at xs, they user thought it might be shorting out under the hsf.

thanks for the idea, i'll give it a try before i ship it out...

linger said:
Nope... i was never into computers back then, the only processors i've seen in person have an ihs on them. But from what i think i understand is that a 90nm dual core and 130nm are fairly strong unlike the single core 90nm
Thanks though
you, sir, just made me feel very old.

what you just said is what i was just alluding to: going bare die on a dual 90 nm core or a singel A64 130 nm core is not all that differend from running a single athlon XP 130 nm core, which is exactly what stock AXP solutions did.

you CAN crush the core, but it's not that risky.

TheToE! said:
LOL, dam! Daishi you ownd that noob!
i have had bad experiences OCing a DFI board, for which i have been criticized.

perhaps i should be more understanding, but even given my own poor expericenved trying to OC my DFI LP NF2 ultra B, i blamed that on the board, as opposed to those who suggested that higher voltages might help.

Acctually thats closed with a heater running. And no thats the CPU idle right after the run. so all the other bits and bobs were a lil hot from the load but the cpu with the moddifed Big typhoon cool to idle temps withing 5 seconds of a loaded run. Its really weird but fun to watch.

So far so good with pads:) ..

picture1117ta.jpg

centvalny: how the heck did you get it so clean? or is that a mobile?

hmm i like THAT idea. cuz the main warning i was given was watch out for crushing my opterown core with the storm block. hmmz

sabregen said:
now the problem is that when i stand my case up, the HSF unit is so heavy that it only makes contact with the lower section of the cpu die. therefore, when i do this, i get a temp rise of 30F!
This is a great mod...you'll probably not have issues with an X2 CPU, as the core is larger, allowing for more contact surface, as opposed to my vanilla 3200. Guess i'll just run the bastard on it's side for now!

This is what scares me....I have the Typhoon, and I don't want to (can't!) lay my case on it's side!!!!

I would like to see lower temps, but to be truthful, what would it really matter....other than being a bit [H]arder.... :p

where did u get the pads? i assume is sone sticky backed foam, 3M or something of the like. source for the pads?

DFI Daishi said:
you, sir, just made me feel very old.

what you just said is what i was just alluding to: going bare die on a dual 90 nm core or a singel A64 130 nm core is not all that differend from running a single athlon XP 130 nm core, which is exactly what stock AXP solutions did.

you CAN crush the core, but it's not that risky.

Sorry for making you feel old, but i appreciate you clearifing your answer for me.
Tahnks

sabregen said:
where did u get the pads? i assume is sone sticky backed foam, 3M or something of the like. source for the pads?
You can use AP/Armaflex pipe insulation roll (Home depot) and use hole puncher (that thing you use for binders). If a layer not thick enough, you can add more.

i got brave today
i tried the fishing line method first but it was taking too much pressure for my liking...
went with the trust razor blade

uncapped 170

SHIMS ARE THE DEVIL!

Just so some of you know... you have a greater chance of killing your CPU by shimming it than you do just clamping on the bare core.

When you flick on the power switch, you will hear a "pop"... and your CPU hit like 120c. No more cpu.

Besides, that shim in the pic would never work with an X2.

I stand corrected. No problem but it does work well on my AMD XP 3200+, no overheating, no shifting or sliding, no problem. Far be it that I'd want to suggest to anyone that something that helped me could fry their CPUs, that would never happen. There are shims that don't conduct electricity out there (non-conductive fiberglass and such), so I don't see how they can be "the devil". Maybe you've had a bad experience or know others that have? That's cool, I can and do welcome criticism, especially when I'm wrong.

BTW, removed post to keep someone from trying that shim. Not sure of outer x2 dimensions and even if it did fit, should someone buy it and install, without removing enough material, it would most certainly fry their CPU. So, in the interest of saving others grief, I've removed all referrence and Links to the shim idea.

Thanks Orkan, you may have just saved someone from almost certain CPU death, if they installed a shim incorrectly. Mine still works though, on a Socket A CPU with a MASSIVE heat sink installed on it.

No worries, sorry if I sounded "harsh" ... but shims enter into the equation another variable. If the shim is so much as .001 (a thousandth of an inch) too tall, they can very well cause your HSF/WB to not contact the core. This = Instant death.

Much better to excercise caution and put the hsf/wb on carefully. I have my storm mounted with the big-ass springs, and it is doing just fine. These new cores are tougher than people give credit. Especially so on the X2's. The core is HUGE. :)

If you want to add extra protection to those bare cores, I think the best way would be to attach small foam pads (a little bit higher than the core) to each corner, like the small circular pads that were used for socket A. Or just make a square around the perimeter of the CPU.
This will help stabalize the heatsink so it doesn't lean too far in one direction while you're putting it on, crushing/chipping the core.

ChingChang said:
If you want to add extra protection to those bare cores, I think the best way would be to attach small foam pads (a little bit higher than the core) to each corner, like the small circular pads that were used for socket A. Or just make a square around the perimeter of the CPU.
This will help stabalize the heatsink so it doesn't lean too far in one direction while you're putting it on, crushing/chipping the core.

^^^ exactly.

you know what i dont understand, why in gods name wont AMD just add an "outer barrier" like on most of ATI's GPU's... it would make so much sense! it would keep cores from being crushed, and keep overlockers uber happy!

orkan said:
No worries, sorry if I sounded "harsh" ... but shims enter into the equation another variable. If the shim is so much as .001 (a thousandth of an inch) too tall, they can very well cause your HSF/WB to not contact the core. This = Instant death.

Much better to excercise caution and put the hsf/wb on carefully
I totally agree with you. That's one reason I'd removed the post about shims. I always use a vernier dial caliper or micrometer to measure the core height, along with measuring the shim thickness before proceeding. It occured to me afterward that most people don't have these measuring tools and wouldn't take these precautions. No problem and I'm glad to called me on it or I wouldn't have remembered these very important steps I take and others wouldn't. You didn't sound harsh and it needed to be said. No offense taken. Thanks again!

orkan said:
Much better to excercise caution and put the hsf/wb on carefully. I have my storm mounted with the big-ass springs, and it is doing just fine. These new cores are tougher than people give credit. Especially so on the X2's. The core is HUGE. :)

yea man i still wanted to uncap my cabne 146 but i guess i was worried about crsuhin it but i stil lthink yea they might not be as strong as socket A but they cant be THAT soft. plus the storm is pretty flat and doesnt require angling it in so should be fine. then of course centvalny posted his pic with the foam pads. yep, feelin better about it already!

Back