How to put videos on your new iPod

Poquito

n00b
Today alot of people got the new iPods for X-Mas. Alot also dont know how to put vidoes on them. Videos must be converted to MP-4 format to be used on the new iPod.http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/download.php That is the link for the Videora software it is easy to use and works excellent.

HOW TO USE VIDEORA:
1. Open it up and install it
2. Get on the convert page
3. You will see the "One Click Transcode" button click this
4. Browse the file and select it, it took me about 30 mins to burn the move Friday(600MB)
5. Once its done go under Videora and click on the videos tab
6. You will see your move it will have an akward name like TS_06
7. Open up iTunes and create a new play list
8. Drag the video over click "Update" on your iPod and now you have video!

Enjoy!!!

Although I do not doubt that this is good software, is there anyone else that would like to chime in with their recommendations? (I just got my 30 giger and was wondering what the best app for conversions was)

Yes could anyone else chime in? My little brother just got a pair and they want me to re-encode some fansubs for it. Is there a solution to do batch jobs?

that is the best app out there. free and works great.

ive been using it for the past couple of weeks. really really nice little app.

Hmm...Well as far is have looked and i have looked quite a bit this is the easiest to use considering you press one button to go. I will see if i can find some alternatives.

PQ DVD to iPod is the only other good one im aware of, and its far more complicated than Videora.

now, given that PQ is the only one out of the two that will convert actual DVDs, but they both convert regular movies.

So .mov's can't work? I'm trying to put the Silent Hill trailer on my iPod but I'll use that software. Thanks for this, I'm sure it will help. By the way, check your link as you have "http://" twice.

To get the video I have to C: Drive>ProgramFiles>Converter>Video then when I go to drag it over nothing happens. Any Idea??

Hey ELMNT you must make a new playlist in iTunes then drag it over, and thanks for sticky :)

ive never bothered w/ playlists. i just did File>Add new file>and added the video.

ive just been using Videora for my movie encodings. PQ for direct DVD encodings.

Poquito said:
Hey ELMNT you must make a new playlist in iTunes then drag it over, and thanks for sticky :)
Tried that also, no luck. You know the video tab for Ipod preferences, its all grayed out and unclickable, at the bottom it says dont update video and its selected.??

For those with Mac's the new version of Quicktime, 7.0.3, has a "Video To IiPod" export setting. Select it and Quicktime does the rest.

It's been working well for me

Also, there is a good HOW-TO article in this months MacWorld on getting video onto the iPod for Mac users.

Elmntskater1588 said:
Tried that also, no luck. You know the video tab for Ipod preferences, its all grayed out and unclickable, at the bottom it says dont update video and its selected.??
Bump

Elmntskater1588 said:

Just right click on the iPod and click "update" and it will work, believe me, I face the same problem as you and this works. If it doesn't, check the format of the movie you're putting in.

EGGO said:
Just right click on the iPod and click "update" and it will work, believe me, I face the same problem as you and this works. If it doesn't, check the format of the movie you're putting in.
Click update where? If i drag the converted movie into itunes nothing happens. And the video tab(in ipod preferences) is still greyed out. If its the ipod updater your talking about, it says I have the most current version.

I took a few screenshots. I think 640 x 480 is good enough, but it looks too small in a 1600 x 1200 res screen so I can make it bigger if need be.

hf1.jpg

Here I selected a .mp4 file on my desktop with iTunes open.

hf2.jpg

I drag and drop it INTO the iPod icon in the source list. The file is now inside the iPod, you can even run a search query.

hf3.jpg

Right-click on that icon and press update. I'm not sure of the iPod update thing in the options are supposed to be grayed out or not but this is how I bypass it.

I too got a 30Gb video iPod for Xmas, and am wondering how to put a couple of DvDs on it.

Has anyone tried commercial product called "Video Vault for iPod"? Its made by Diversified Multimedia LLC (aka DVMM), their product page is here:
http://www.divmm.com/index.htm

The boxed product is $39.99 from them and many retail outlets listed there. They also offer a free 13.6MB trial download - dunno how long the trial works.

DVMM also makes Video Vault versions for other platforms (PSP, PDAs, smartphones, and multi-platform).

If you've tried it, let us know what ya think. Thanks,
Hugh

i have been using the converted referred to to get movies to my daugters IPOD and it is working GREAT!! EXCEPT for her disney titles....EVERYONE of them has 1 issue or another (ie nemo plays the directors cut....valiant has NO audio), i have tried them multiple times and do them in the EXACT same way i did her other NON disney movies (7 so far that work great)...any ideas on special settings for disney ripping and converting?
thanks
jamey

This is going to sound very very basic...but can someone please tell me how to copy a DVD to my drive , and then send it to my Ipod?? Help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks
-Jay

use fairuse as i posted above.... make sure to encode in h264 and the proper res settings....

I have downloaded fairuse , when i put the project name in and hit next, it says the project cannot be created and access is denied. Why is this happening? Also i have Videora and im wondering if i can do the same thing in that program.
Thanks

have you tried using Videora? you simply click 'one-click', highlight what videos you want to encode, and let it do its thing. its amazingly simple.

just make sure you set your output folder to w/e folder you want to. i put my output to my external HDD.

Malignant Kid said:
Yes could anyone else chime in? My little brother just got a pair and they want me to re-encode some fansubs for it. Is there a solution to do batch jobs?
I agree, Batch encode feature will make or break any program of this type. Why is it taking them so long to realize that?!?!?

Anyone know of any batch encode programs?

anyone familiar with xcopy9 ?

I can't seem to figure out how to make an mpeg4 file from a DVD with videora. I want something easy - one program, to use to convert DVD's to ipod format, and any other videos I have on my PC to ipod format. I'm using a Windows machine.

with videora, I go to the DVD Drive, and it shows about 14 .vob files.. do I convert ALL of them??

If you use Videora you'll have to decrypt the dvd first with something like DVD decrypter. I would suggest checking up on some of the guide links on this thread first for more details.

In the preferences for DVD decrypter you'll want to make sure it doesn't split the video files into 1gb chunks, then choose the option to select only the main movie. Once you rip the dvd to your drive you can tell Videora where to find the VOB file to convert.
Videora supports batch conversion so it's very good.

I also like AutoGK from www.doom9.org as it does very nice quality compressions but it's not as automated for saving to iPod as some of the others.

Hey guys, I have some ripped videos that I've converted to h.264 and am currently storing them in iTunes as I don't have an iPod video (yet). I've let my friends grab them and put them on their ipods, but here's the thing:
Some of my videos are 640x480, 640x352, and so on, with audio at 160kbps or so. Almost all my videos are over 768kbps for video alone. They still work on my friends' iPods though :confused: and look spectacular.
What do you guys think?

Back