(0 )core for Os) and (1 )core for Game?

Ok when i get my X2 this weekend, can i set One core to utilize my (Os )while i Use the Other Core too Run a Game .Or is it One Core Runs everything while Gaming only?....Im not shure how to set my chip up and i want to take full advantage of my Os X64bit XP Pro and Gaming on a X2! :confused:

You could have worded the question a little better. It doesnt make much sense phrased as it is.

Here is the deal. Modern operating systems Like Windows XP are designed are comprised of various processes that do things. The Window manager. The print service. The firewall. And so on. This is what is called multiprocessing

Each of these services function independently It is the job of the process manager to determine which core it gets executed on. I believe Windows uses a FIFO, Round Robin load balancer. That means "First in, First out." It keeps a cue of processes that are waiting for CPU time, and which ever process asked for CPU time first is the one that will get the time first. Then it goes around in circles to and assigns processes to the cores one after the other.

It's not the best way to do it, becouse it is incapable of supporting certain features that are made possible by having an on die memory controller, but that is the way windows does it, and it works well enough that most people dont need to worry about it.

XP also supports something called multithreading, which doesnt really matter too much nowadays, but will matter more later when we get 8 or more cores on a single chip. When that time comes multiprocessing will be at its limits, and it will be impossible to keep all cores loaded at 100%. When that happens we'll need multithreading to keep scaling. Which it may not anyway. We'll have to see.

thanks for info , What a mouthfull Eh... I didnt know how to phrase it at the given time i posted, i think i even confused myself:D

XP also supports something called multithreading, which doesnt really matter too much nowadays

Errrr, multithreading is one of the key ways to utilize multi-core CPU's (including todays dual/quad cores), as it allows 1 application to utilize the full power of the system, instead of being restricted to a single core.

You might think it doesnt matter, but
I play a few games which run better due to being multithreaded.
I encoded video with x264/Nero AVC, which have there encoding times cut by 80-90% due to it running multithreaded.
I watch HD video decoded due to multithreaded (my little HTPC wouldnt decode it fast enough if it were single threaded)
People can reduce rendering times in 3d Imagery, by approx 90% per additional core, due to multithreaded.

To say it doesnt matter nowadays is a completely false, unless all you do is browse the net and read emails etc.

Yeah ive always run SINGLE CORES Newcastles FX's Sandiego and now this Orleans...but am Going X2 on Saturday....From what ive been reading it should be a big Jump.....Going from a [email protected] to a 4800X2 Oced to 2.8/2.9Mhz or a 5000X2 for maybe 3.0Ghz!

My buddy has the Chips and i still need to pick one or the other ...I guess ill have to Ocem both and take the Highest Clocker! The only thing i dont like is the 5000+X2 2.6Ghz is a DD G1 stepping instead of a CZ F3....Ill soon see :D

Back