1.5gb enough to turn off paging?

Ciggarilo Himself

Limp Gawd
Is 1.5gb enough memory to turn off file paging? or am I better off getting another 512 stick?
1.5gb is pretty smooth for me.

As I recall, Windows will always make a paging file of some sort, even if you think you've disabled it. In any case, I run it in "System Managed Size" on both of my computers- a 1.5GB notebook and a 2GB desktop.

As I recall, Windows will always make a paging file of some sort, even if you think you've disabled it. In any case, I run it in "System Managed Size" on both of my computers- a 1.5GB notebook and a 2GB desktop.

Yeah it does. I havnt tried in vista, but in xp for sure.

your best bet is to just set it to a non-expanding page-file. so just min and max the same size. I'd say do 1.5-1.5 or 2-2

Since nobody's mentioned it yet, the best way to setup a pagefile is unfragmented, and a custom size. To do this:

(1) Turn off your page file.
(2) Reboot into safe mode
(3) Delete the c:\pagefile.sys
(4) Set pagefile to custom size of min 2048 max 2048 (or whatever you choose, same numbers in both)
(5) Reboot into normal mode.

Ah I should've mentioned, it's a hidden/system file. You'll need to attrib from the command line or set explorer to view hidden/system files.
You don't have to be in safe mode, but believe me booting in normal mode with no page file sucked when I first started using this method, so I've stuck with it (Win95, 64MB of RAM.) :)

Ah I should've mentioned, it's a hidden/system file. You'll need to attrib from the command line or set explorer to view hidden/system files.
You don't have to be in safe mode, but believe me booting in normal mode with no page file sucked when I first started using this method, so I've stuck with it (Win95, 64MB of RAM.) :)

Even when i hidden files are shown, i still can't find pagefile.sys... :confused:
It should just be in the C: directory with the Program Files and Windows folders, right?

I have mine turned off and can not see it because it is not there. Yes, it sits on C:\ root of the drive unless you move it.

Hmm, i'm at a complete loss. I checked the location of the pagefile.sys file in the registry and it is just on the C: drive, but no matter what i do i can't see it.

Hmm, i'm at a complete loss. I checked the location of the pagefile.sys file in the registry and it is just on the C: drive, but no matter what i do i can't see it.

Make sure "Hide protected operating system files" is uncheck along with the hide hidden files and folders option.

To see pagefile.sys,do the following:

Tools > Folder Options > View

Make sure that you hae selected "show hidden files and folders" AND uncheck "hide protected operating system files"

Then you should be able to see pagefile.sys in your c:

EDIT: Whoops a couple mins too slow :p

Make sure "Hide protected operating system files" is uncheck along with the hide hidden files and folders option.

To see pagefile.sys,do the following:

Tools > Folder Options > View

Make sure that you hae selected "show hidden files and folders" AND uncheck "hide protected operating system files"

Then you should be able to see pagefile.sys in your c:

EDIT: Whoops a couple mins too slow :p

Aha! God, i'm a dumbass; i didn't even see the "Hide protected operating system files" check box- i was just checking "Show hidden files" and "Display the contents of system folders". Heh, thanks guys. ;)

Back