1 60g ocz vertex or 2 30g in raid 0?

GetFunk01

Gawd
both have 64mg cache. What should i do? I bought the 30g and after install of win7 it only had 7g free. I need more room then this. So do i take it back and get the 60g or get another 30g and raid 0 them? Thanks. BTW, this is one fast SSD. My OS is now fun.

One.

I got 2x 120 in raid 0 because the 250 gb one was too expensive. Now I have to worry about the raid breaking and backup more often than I would if I just had 1 drive.

well im going to raid 2 30g.. Im picking out a second 30g at microcenter tomorrow for 99$. Is raid them easy? I dont have a seperate card, id use the onboard controller.

RAID is easy to configure (especially software RAID) and you'll be OK with the onboard controller. Just make sure you update them to a firmware that includes GC (Garbage Collection) if they don't already have it. I would recommend 1.4 or 1.5.

Since you already have Windows 7 installed on the first drive, you might need to image it and then restore the image to the RAID array when you get the second one set up in RAID.

Windows has a built-in utility that can do imaging. You could absolutely do a fresh install, but I was under the impression that you wanted to avoid reinstalling programs or performing another activation of Windows.

I'm curious, SSD's are fast as shit, will you really see a real world difference using them in RAID 0 vs a single SSD? Any sites do time lapse of loading, file transfers of a RAID 0 SSD vs Single SSD?

Ocz ssd disable trim support in win7 with raid drivers installed. I'm switching back to ahci from raid. I F6 loaded raid drivers onto 3 single hdds. I have 1 with xp, 1 with vista & 1 with win7 rc, saying non-raid hdds when I boot up,because I have no raid arrays configured. I just wanted ahci benefits with the option of adding an array later so I F6 the raid drivers instead of ahci. Now I picked up ocz turbo 60gb ver.1.5 with win7 pro 64bit, & I am going to install OS to it & use my win7 rc hdd for storage instead & re-configure my pc for ahci.

RAID. Anyone who's says different doesn't have them running in RAID. ;)

I'm curious, SSD's are fast as shit, will you really see a real world difference using them in RAID 0 vs a single SSD? Any sites do time lapse of loading, file transfers of a RAID 0 SSD vs Single SSD?

Look:

capture369.png

Compared to my WD 640GB Black:

capture370.png

well im going to raid 2 30g.. Im picking out a second 30g at microcenter tomorrow for 99$. Is raid them easy? I dont have a seperate card, id use the onboard controller.

Easy. Just change the SATA controller to RAID in the BIOS. Make sure if your board has the extra 2 JMicron controllers, to keep the array off of those and use the Intel slots.

I haven't seen anyone mention the lack of TRIM in raid mode.
Does the garbage collection work in RAID mode?
I would think that would be a major deciding factor.

I haven't seen anyone mention the lack of TRIM in raid mode.
Does the garbage collection work in RAID mode?
I would think that would be a major deciding factor.

OCZ's drives do have GC in RAID. It's not as useful as TRIM since it only works when the computer has been inactive for a while(TRIM works everytime you delete a file), but it's better than nothing. Just be sure to keep up to date backups as RAID increases the chances of corrupt data.

isn't the chance for data corruption lower in ssd's though?

There's no risk of mechanical problems, but data corruption(due to bad NAND chips or such) will always be a concern. In fact, there's been quite a few post on SSD's manufacture's forums complaining about corruption, and it's not just from bad firmware updates. But, as with HDD, the chances are actually very slim, but you should still be prepared.

Last edited:
We were looking for the difference between a single SSD, and two in RAID 0. We already know SSD's are faster than hard disk's...
Exactly... I would love to find out how fast a RAID 0 setup of SSD's vs a single SSD in everyday use. I guess we both have to wait for the answer. ;)

We were looking for the difference between a single SSD, and two in RAID 0. We already know SSD's are faster than hard disk's...

The first graph is 2 SSDs in RAID. It's 2 Kingston 40GB V Series using the new Intel hardware. Scroogle for the reviews and you can compare to your hearts content.

The second is just for shits and giggles.

Those who say there is no difference must be running them in RAID on JMicron controllers. Easy noob mistake.

BTW, the newest release of MyDefrag has a script for optimizing SSDs, so no need to worry about TRIM or otherwise.

Last edited:
Those who say there is no difference must be running them in RAID on JMicron controllers. Easy noob mistake.

While SSD RAID is faster, it's damn near impossible to tell when actually doing work on the system. The only exception I've found is when working with very large files(video and photo editing come to mind). This comes from first hand experience with my personal system, and time spent working on a I7 920 / 2x80 Intel G2 system. During web surfing and light gaming, the two felt completely similar. There could have been a difference of a second here or there, but nothing that is perceptible to a human being.

While SSD RAID is faster, it's damn near impossible to tell when actually doing work on the system. The only exception I've found is when working with very large files(video and photo editing come to mind). This comes from first hand experience with my personal system, and time spent working on a I7 920 / 2x80 Intel G2 system. During web surfing and light gaming, the two felt completely similar. There could have been a difference of a second here or there, but nothing that is perceptible to a human being.
Thanks for your user feedback on using a RAID 0 vs a single SSD. It's appreciated.

BTW, the newest release of MyDefrag has a script for optimizing SSDs, so no need to worry about TRIM or otherwise.

I'm going to call FUD on this, there is no substitute for TRIM.
SSDs without TRIM (this includes drives as part of a RAID array) with degrade in performance over time.

edit: Garbage Collection would be an exception, but few drives have this.
-edit: "support" in my world simply means it uses it, calling it a background process and saying it doesn't support it is just semantics. Give me a break.

Last edited:
I'm building a new system and it was suggested that instead of one 60GB I run two 30GB in RAID 0. I have file storage (pics/music/movies etc.) on a server, so storage space is not a concern.

I will be using a EVGA E758-A1 motherboard.

The price is pretty much a wash on 2x30 / 2x40 vs a single 60 or 80.

It looks like you guys are still running a mechanical drive though for My Documents etc.? Is this something I should consider, even though my files will be stored on another PC?

OCZ Vertex with 1.5 firmware has GC if in not mistaken and works in raid. Noo need for trim

GC is not something the drive 'supports', it's something it does in the background (when idle) in lieu of TRIM (which should eventually be supported in RAID, the problem is the drivers, not OCZ or any SSD). OCZ/Indillix's GC actually works remarkably well if you make a few concessions to force the system into idle periods when you're not using it, so GC has a chance to do it's thing (I've read that simply logging off will accomplish this, YMMV depending on what apps you use, etc.)... If allowed to work it'll sustain performance over time just as well as TRIM.

Personally I still think having TRIM support is less of a hassle tho, and unless you're copying large files from your SSD RAID array to another SSD it's unlikely you'd have much of a chance to reap the benefits of RAID w/an SSD... A single larger drive is almost always cheaper than two smaller ones as well, at best it's the same. I use a regular HDD for the Documents, Pics, etc. folders as well as games that don't fit in the SSD... Whenever I'm working on a large photo or video I move it over to the SSD first tho.

My 80GB X25-M is big enough for Win7, Office, all my other apps, and a few games, even a 60GB should be big enough w/some careful space maintenance... Using symbolic links to seamlessly move games on and off the SSD w/o breaking their install is very convenient.

Back