1.65V with Air?

iSkylla

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, if you have been following my OC thread in OC topic I want to try to get 2.9Ghz but I think I will need 1.62V to get there. My temps were good at 1.58V, 37C Idle and 48C load. If I put it up to 1.62V and the load temps are below 55C, is that okay? Will the voltage hurt the CPU even if I have good temps? Specs are in sig.

as long as temps are fine, id say its ok.

I run 1.65v though my 3800 daily for 2.6ghz. Im on an SI-120 and 60CFM panaflo

Okay, I can do 1.4V for 2.6Ghz but I need 1.45-1.5 to do 2.7Ghz. But temps are good so I am fine.

ballance out the extra risk compared to how much you can "feel" the extra speed. I couldnt feel ANY difference with anything at all till I started video encoding a lot, then it mattered but not enough for me to go past 1.5 vcore.

I can't do 2.7ghz on my Opty 165 unless I do 1.55v

However, I can do 2.6ghz with only 1.45v.

It requires .1 extra volts to get the 100Mhz extra - is it worth it?

I think not.

You will probably shorten the lifespan of your CPU.

LordBritish said:
I can't do 2.7ghz on my Opty 165 unless I do 1.55v

However, I can do 2.6ghz with only 1.45v.

It requires .1 extra volts to get the 100Mhz extra - is it worth it?

I think not.

You will probably shorten the lifespan of your CPU.

Exactly....my cpu does 2.6 at 1.45v.....it will do 2.7 but at 1.6v....and ALOT hotter temps....the extra 100mhz is nothing really, except for ego trips.
:D

i think 1.55v is the most i would ever put in a DC unless you have water or phase cooling. one thing to help with temps is to put a fan over your PWMIC. my PWMIC temps used to get up to 70C, but after the fan it doesnt even go over 50C.

If you like electromigration and dying a horrible death, feel free to pump that much voltage into your chip. :D

Seriously. What happened to the old days of the magical $50 overclocker that was sugar and spice and everything blazing fast?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it voltage that kills chip and not high clocks? It just becomes unstable if you raise the clock too high with no voltage increase right, there isn't a temp problem is there?

Obi_Kwiet said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it voltage that kills chip and not high clocks? It just becomes unstable if you raise the clock too high with no voltage increase right, there isn't a temp problem is there?

You sir, are mostly correct.

You can overclock at stock voltage and sometimes kill the chip, but it's rare.

one year running at 1.63v and doing fine, Who cares if lifespan goes down...the average person here will upgrade by the time the CPU most likely will go out (of course there are exception where you can fry it right away but thats pretty rare)

AndoOKC1 said:
Who cares if lifespan goes down...the average person here will upgrade by the time the CPU most likely will go out (of course there are exception where you can fry it right away but thats pretty rare)

You're kinda right, however it's nice to get some $$'s back from your old setup on the secondhand market.

I'm running 1.6 on Air but temps are getting up there because it's hotter then hell in my room today. I think i need to get a bigger heatsink fan. My F'in G skill memory died this morning so that's all she'll do till i get some new memory.

29ghz.jpg

Psycho said:
I'm running 1.6 on Air but temps are getting up there because it's hotter then hell in my room today. I think i need to get a bigger heatsink fan. My F'in G skill memory died this morning so that's all she'll do till i get some new memory.

29ghz.jpg

How many times are you going to post that same pic? Damn your lame.

Psycho said:
so you're trying to imply that your cpu oc is limited by your memory speeds? ;)

in a similar vein (;)) i guess i better get new ram. 425mhz isn't nearly enough, i can't even break the 2ghz barrier :(

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=86232
1_239.png

Psycho said:

29ghz.jpg

my x2 can do better then that. with the ram on any divider.

Back