1.66 V ok for P4 2.8E???

I've had my 2.8E for about a year now. On the first mobo that this proc was installed to, it could only reach 3.1GHZ. Once I swapped the old Soyo board for the Abit IS7 in my sig, I'm able to take it up for 3.5GHZ with a FSB of 250mhz on a 5:4 ratio.

At 3.5GHZ with 1.61 V, however, my McAfree VirusScan fails. The security center still runs but I get error messages regarding the integrity of the program and McAfee advises me to reinstall the program.

Then I tried rebooting into Windows with 1.63 V. Same thing happened.

Then I tried 1.66V through Abit's SoftMenu and now everything is fine. McAfee stopped generating errors and none of my background applications are unstable.

My question, now, is is it okay for me to run the 2.8E at 1.66V?? It's currently being cooled by the Koolance Exos 200G waterblock. The northbridge is being cooled by the IS7's stock active heatsink.

As for the other voltages, the AGP is set at 1.55 V and the DDR at 2.7 V.

What is the dangerous threshold for my C0 stepping Prescott 2.8E??

tia

Not that this helps, but my 3.0E CO stepping would randomly reboot if I used anything higher than 1.51 vcore. At 1.51, it would do 3.6 stable.

Slammin said:
Not that this helps, but my 3.0E CO stepping would randomly reboot if I used anything higher than 1.51 vcore. At 1.51, it would do 3.6 stable.

Thx for the feedback. In my case, however, a 1.51V isn't enough even for 3.4GHZ. For 3.5GHZ, it has to be 1.66V in the BIOS. 1.61V results in the shutting down my McAfee VirusScan.

Well, so far my system is still okay. Guess I'll have to see how my system holds up during the warm season.

Optimummind said:
Thx for the feedback. In my case, however, a 1.51V isn't enough even for 3.4GHZ. For 3.5GHZ, it has to be 1.66V in the BIOS. 1.61V results in the shutting down my McAfee VirusScan.

Well, so far my system is still okay. Guess I'll have to see how my system holds up during the warm season.
I dont think that the chip is just going to up and die on you all of a sudden. Increasing the Vcore above the default might just shorten the overall life of the chip a bit...if that. No worries. Your good.

Back