1 more hour till Windows 7 RTM? Vista RTM came out 2am EST on Nov. 8th.

Just realized this, the ISO's for home premium, pro and ultimate are the same, only the config file is different that chooses what version to install.
They are all the exact same size

I noticed this too, I was thinking it might be an engineered little "F.U." to those who downloaded the ?leak? RTM. With the subtle difference in files they then will have different hashes.

The untouched "leak" of 16385 two weeks ago is the same file as exists on MSDN/TechNet as of today; the hashes are the same for x86 and x64 versions, and I've done a binary comparison between the ISO I got back on July 23rd with the one I just finished downloading earlier today and they're bit-for-bit identical.

was downloading at 40kb/s, now up to 700kb/s, thanks to that tip. still not maxing my connection but :(.

Pulling this from my Technet ISOs, just FYI.

Ultimate x64:
MD5: F43D22E4FB07BF617D573ACD8785C028
SHA-1: 326327CC2FF9F05379F5058C41BE6BC5E004BAA7

Ultimate x86:
MD5: D0B8B407E8A3D4B75EE9C10147266B89
SHA-1: 5395DC4B38F7BDB1E005FF414DEEDFDB16DBF610

Is it a complete version that is only for Tech Users. Is it completely free or will its license expire after some time??

It's a free download that is part of a paid subscription. It doesn't expire, but can only be used for evaluation purposes and not in production environments as part of the licensing agreement.

It's a free download that is part of a paid subscription. It doesn't expire, but can only be used for evaluation purposes and not in production environments as part of the licensing agreement.

OK thanks for the infomration. So the one I am downloading is from microsoft site not fom tech user site.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/download.aspx

So it the same thing available in Tech User's site? Because I didn't pay for any subscription

No. What is available on Technet is the FINAL windows 7 code. I.E. The images are what is going to be burned onto discs and sold to you on October 22nd.

OK thanks for the infomration. So the one I am downloading is from microsoft site not fom tech user site.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/download.aspx

So it the same thing available in Tech User's site? Because I didn't pay for any subscription

That link takes you to download the Release Candidate, not the final product. TechNet (not Tech User) is where you acquire the RTM build aka the final version of Windows 7 if you have a subscription.

If you're at some site that doesn't require you to log in and it's not a microsoft.com address (except for that RC which does require a Live login to get it), then you better run fast in the opposite direction...

So I downloaded the ultimate x64 ISO. I was under the impression that the install disc was the same for multiple flavors and its just the CD KEY that determines which you end up with?

So can I use the ultimate ISO to install professional and ultimate? When it get to the point where you type the key in I just choose then which id like to have?

I just explained all that at some considerable length in this post:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034451636&postcount=223

Very nice clear and concise writeup. So to be clear, if I want a "jack of all trades"( -exception being enterprise,) dvd all I need to do is delete the "ei.cfg" from the D/L and Burn the remaining files?

I am also guessing the "versions" available would be...

Home Premium
Professional
Ultimate

...?
Or is starter still on there?

Or just remove the ei.cfg using a tool like UltraISO or PowerISO, anything that can modify an ISO image file without damaging it, then re-save the "new" ISO and burn that.

If you're interested in doing this, my suggestion is to get the ISO, do the modification, then test it with a virtual machine using VirtualBox. Takes less than a minute to install that software, takes a minute to create a VM and then "boot" the VM off the newly modified ISO file you just created - as long as it boots to the installer, and you see the list of OSes you can choose from, you're done. All that would remain is to actually burn that new ISO to a DVD, for most people.

If you're really ambitious you can use the ability to install Windows 7 from a USB stick following the instructions in the sticky thread at the top of the forum thread listing. When the ei.cfg file is removed, you'll see something similar to this:

windows7allskueditions.png

Good luck...

Anyone else notice the "architecture" column there? Anyone know if it's possible to pack on all the editions (x64 included) into a DL DVD or something?

Wow, it even looks like it can fit onto a single, standard DVD... Which begs the question why in the world Microsoft isn't packaging both onto one disk anyway???

Because consumers are too stupid to figure out which one to install.

Seriously can you imagine WTF would happen if all these people go to best buy and get a disc and it ask them what architechture to install?

Anyone know when SA customers are supposed to get 7? I heard August 7 (today) but I still see "Windows 7 Enterprise will be available soon as an SA Benefit. Please check back to claim this new benefit." which has been there for more than a month now.

Because consumers are too stupid to figure out which one to install.

Seriously can you imagine WTF would happen if all these people go to best buy and get a disc and it ask them what architechture to install?

Would there be any downside to checking your hardware, and if x64 just automatically installing it????

I mean, if you've got drivers for equipment that only works on x86, then you'd know enough to know what x86 and x64 is.

My point is that normal/regular people dont even know what a driver is, let alone x64 x86.

If I gave my brother a Win7 disc that had both chances are he would Eff it up, and I would have to play tech support.

Yea its pretty straightforward, but its just one less thing for micorosft to worry about, and one less thing that apple can make a commercial about.

My point is that normal/regular people dont even know what a driver is, let alone x64 x86.

So what'd be bad about them just checking if it can run x64 and running it? I honestly don't see a downside.

Perhaps we'll be x64-only by the time Windows 8 rolls around (and let us all hope it's called exactly that: Windows 8).

Inability to run 16-bit apps, among other things. That's a huge business concern.

But if you're a business, you know the difference between x86 and x64 so you can install the proper version.

I'm talking about home users.

So can we assume that in little under an hour we will be able to access one of the most anticipated Windows based operating systems off all time? Lets hear some count down chatter.

One of the most highly wanted Microsoft OS's of all time ? :rolleyes: I am a [H]ard geek and both my Brothers are programmers for a living, and none of us could care less about Win 7. We are all running Vista64 and pretty happy with it, no major reason to upgrade right now to Win7. We NEVER upgrade to a brand new Microshaft OS until at least SP1.

And another thing it is NOT 64bit only yet. WTF, I was confused why Vista wasn't 64 bit only, but I said for sure the next generation OS after Vista will be 64bit exclusive 100%, and again it is not. What is the hold up, all drivers should be out there now and programs updated to run 64bit after Vista has been out a couple years already. And every computer sold today, even the crappy eMachines all have 64bit capable hardware.

^^^ Dude. 10,000,000 people just TESTED this thing. It's the most anticipated Windows of all time.

And another thing it is NOT 64bit only yet. WTF, I was confused why Vista wasn't 64 bit only, but I said for sure the next generation OS after Vista will be 64bit exclusive 100%, and again it is not. What is the hold up, all drivers should be out there now and programs updated to run 64bit after Vista has been out a couple years already. And every computer sold today, even the crappy eMachines all have 64bit capable hardware.

Um... no.

Netbooks.

HUGE market right now. The Atom is not 64bit compatible.

One of the most highly wanted Microsoft OS's of all time ? :rolleyes: I am a [H]ard geek and both my Brothers are programmers for a living, and none of us could care less about Win 7. We are all running Vista64 and pretty happy with it, no major reason to upgrade right now to Win7. We NEVER upgrade to a brand new Microshaft OS until at least SP1.

Dumbest post of the week. You win.

^^^ Dude. 10,000,000 people just TESTED this thing. It's the most anticipated Windows of all time.

Thats like saying WoW is the best MMORPG because 11 million Chinese gold farmers play the game in reality.

I am a huge geek, with lots of nerdy computer friends, and none of them really mention Win 7 much. I just don't feel the buzz for this OS. How is this magically way better than Vista64 ? And why should the grandma down the street upgrade to it for surfing her garden websites.

Thats like saying WoW is the best MMORPG because 11 million Chinese gold farmers play the game in reality.

I am a huge geek, with lots of nerdy computer friends, and none of them really mention Win 7 much. I just don't feel the buzz for this OS. How is this magically way better than Vista64 ? And why should the grandma down the street upgrade to it for surfing her garden websites.

Playing a game and testing an OS are totally different things. It takes a tiny bit of technical know-how on where to get Win7 at, how to burn your ISO, and how to install it. You think 10,000,000 average joe consumers sat at home and just decided to look at Windows 7??

I think Windows 7 will be a good release. It is what Vista should have been. Although, I think I will download and use it for testing and home use. (when it is available on the MS Partner subscription).

Although, I would not recommend it for business use until the standard adoption period begins. Which is always after the first service pack or two.:D

Um... no.

Netbooks.

EDIT: okay I was wrong, SOME Atoms are 64bit capable. The one I had looked up just happened to be so, didn't realize Intel was still disabling 64bit on some processors.

yes it is.

No its not...

lol

I would know, I own one. When you try to install 7 x64 or Vista x64 you get an error right when you try to boot off the disk/USB drive that this PC is not 64bit compatible.

See, no EMT64 support:

i3l1qv35esq7ky9dw4r.png

The intel Atom is 64bit, however the Atom in Netbooks is not. so you are both right.

From wiki:
"x86-64 is so far only activated for the Atom 230 and 330 desktop models. N and Z series Atom models cannot run x86-64 code"

hope this helps.

The intel Atom is 64bit, however the Atom in Netbooks is not. so you are both right.

From wiki:
"x86-64 is so far only activated for the Atom 230 and 330 desktop models. N and Z series Atom models cannot run x86-64 code"

hope this helps.

Yes of course, but we where specifically talking about netbooks. Hence why I said:

Netbooks.

ryan was just trying to be a smart-ass :D

Yes of course, but we where specifically talking about netbooks. Hence why I said:

ryan was just trying to be a smart-ass :D

No actually I wasn't. I read you post that Atom wasn't 64-bit, thought "No way is intel still doing that crap" (I mean why would they make a processor with Intel64 and then turn around and disable it). So I looked one up real quick and bam! EM64T was listed in the feature. It wasn't until after I posted that I looked at other models noticed the lack of it in the other models.

Ok calm down buddy, notice the smiley. ;) Its all good.

And there is no netbook/UMPC that has a dual-core Atom. They are strictly in nettops.\

Unless you count this... thing.

Ok calm down buddy, notice the smiley. ;) Its all good.

And there is no netbook/UMPC that has a dual-core Atom. They are strictly in nettops.\

Unless you count this... thing.

I understand that, which is why I edited my original post. You were just too fast to catch it. :D And I'm wasn't upset in the least, just clarifying what happened so that hopefully I don't look like as big an idiot. Probably didn't work lol.

Back