1 Stuck Pixel on 26" - Live With It or Attempt RMA/Exchange?

WolfpupNX

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

Just got a brand new 25.5" monitor (haven't tested it much yet - just a little - for a new build), and so far, I've found one stuck pixel (orangish). It's tiny...not that noticeable...upper right quadrant around the middle of the quadrant. I still need to inspect with other colors to make sure there aren't others (this showed up on a black screen), but I think that's likely the only one.

On one hand, I paid a good price for this monitor and would certainly like a perfect one.

On the other, I know stuck pixels are inevitable in some monitors and it's pretty hard to get an absolutely perfect one. Chances are I RMA one for another with another stuck pixel or perhaps more.

I'm sincerely considering living with it, but I wanted to hear some thoughts from those more experienced. Is 1 stuck pixel reasonable for a monitor of this size? Is it unreasonable to expect it to be perfect? Think living with it and just enjoying the monitor is the way to go, or do you think trying to get an exchange would be worthwhile? It's Planar and they have a great support policy, but their official line is 3 or more I think. (Though I've heard they reconsider depending on where the pixels are.)

Thanks!

pretty much its hit or miss with stuck or dead pixels. lcd's would be a whole lot more if they were better screened to not have dead or stuck pixels. sometimes they are caused by shipping too. i would keep trying till i got one that was perfect. just me anyways ;)

What model do you have? Would they even RMA it?
Well, there are models with zero-invalid pixels guarantee, but these are more expensive.
The important question is, if you can notice this bad sub-pixel. For example I have one red and it is noticable only on black and when I know where to look. Normally I can't find it even when I want.

Heh, people are very sensitive about defective pixels, however many have very dorty monitors with smudges and so :)

This is the Planar PX2611W. It's not at its home yet (my desk) as I'm waiting to finish my build, so hard to say. I really don't think I'll notice it with a picture on the screen, but we'll see - I wanna do a more thorough test of the monitor and find any other problems as well.

Interestingly, late last night, just for the hell of it I called Planar tech support (expecting no response). Got an after-hours answering system and it had me leave a message and assured me someone would call me back. Got a call first thing this morning about my dead pixel from a very nice gentlemen over at Planar. He essentially said they have a 3 dead pixel minimum policy, but that if it was especially annoying, I could take a picture of it, and they will consider replacing it under warranty (which, by the way, is a 2-day advance replacement warranty). So I'm *very* pleased by the support - he was legitimately nice about it as well as concerned about my satisfaction, which I like.

I also bought it from Provantage, and supposedly their 30-day satisfaction guaranteed return policy applies, so I might be able to swap it through them too.

Once I get it up on my desk, hopefully next week, I'll evaluate it more (blacklight bleed, any other problem pixels...may even try one of those pixel fixing programs even though I have doubts it will work). Then I'll decide from there.

My TV (a Sony rear-projection LCD) has a few stuck pixels I've learned to live with, so I think I could learn to live with this one, especially since even on black I do sorta have to look for it. But we'll evaluate further.

I guess I'm mostly asking if most people would be trying to get a perfect one if they had just one stuck pixel on an otherwise great monitor.

Thanks for the feedback!

I guess I'm mostly asking if most people would be trying to get a perfect one if they had just one stuck pixel on an otherwise great monitor.

If it is not annoying, then no, I'd not replace.

The fact that you've bothered to come here to post about the stuck pixel shows that you're obviously bothered enough by it, I'd say go ahead and replace it and make yourself happier in the long run.:p

The fact that you've bothered to come here to post about the stuck pixel shows that you're obviously bothered enough by it, I'd say go ahead and replace it and make yourself happier in the long run.:p

That's a good psychological answer :)
The problem is WolfpupNX is probably going to pay extra delivery fees and may even end up with a piece with more then one sub-pixel. Anyway it is nice to see how well the customer care works in the USA, I really envy you :) I think companies are always more willing to give a good support when economy is "stagnating" or it seems it may go into a stagnation.

Just an update, and this is a weird one. I decided to hook my monitor up for some real-world testing...and...stuck pixel gone! Go back to a black screen. Stuck pixel there. Another color? Gone. It appears it's only doing this (so far) on a black screen. Also, I tried gently rubbing it as well as one of the pixel fixing programs with no luck. But, at least the pixel works most of the time. lol.

Given this, and that I have an excellent warranty if anything else goes wrong, I think I'm going to keep it. I can't find any other stuck pixels, and the fact is, the picture is beautiful and if I just forget about it, I'm sure I'll be happy. There's too much risk/hassle in an exchange and I think I'll end up very happy with this as is.

Appreciate all the feedback!

Back