10/100Mbps or 10/100/1000Mbps switch ???

game14

[H]ard|Gawd
I have 10 computers to connect to each other so i have control over them from one computer (so 11 in total) and they can share a printer all together.
Purpose of those 10 is mostly web browsing and light online gaming (FB games, Counter Strike...stuff like that). No large file transfer (maybe a picture or office doc)

Setup would be like:
modem (DSL) - mITX PC with ipfire installed as router - switch - 11 computers.

after i looked up some switches, does it make sense to get a gigabyte switch or would a 10/100 switch do just fine ? Managed or unmanaged ?
I mean i dont even get close to 10Mbps with DSL...

please let me know. Ty

No large file transfer (maybe a picture or office doc)

Nope, you're fine on an unmanaged 10/100, the only advantage you'll see from going gig is going to be large file transfers across the local network.

for what you're going to be using, 10/100mbps unmanaged will work just fine. i think you'd only need managed for QOS if you need to set priorities for specific devices on your network, but many routers offer that.

what happend if i connect a switch to a switch for a second network ? Will that work ?

what happend if i connect a switch to a switch for a second network ? Will that work ?

it will, except it won't be a "second network."
it will only be an extension of the existing network.

I hope you don't mind my jumping into your thread but it'll save me from posting the exact same question. I too am looking to get a switch but mine will be to connect my Direct TV box and PS3 to my network. Right now I'm streaming movies thru wifi to my PS3 but when I get to streaming HD content, it gets glitchy. Will a 10/100 be fine for me also?

I hope you don't mind my jumping into your thread but it'll save me from posting the exact same question. I too am looking to get a switch but mine will be to connect my Direct TV box and PS3 to my network. Right now I'm streaming movies thru wifi to my PS3 but when I get to streaming HD content, it gets glitchy. Will a 10/100 be fine for me also?

100mbit will work fine for streaming, as long as you're not trying to do more than a couple streams with the server connected also at 100mbit.

But honestly, especially for a small home-size switch, the price difference is negligible and 100mbit is fast becoming obsolete. I wouldn't buy new 100mbit gear, except maybe if management or PoE were required on a tight budget.

Ok, cool. Just looking at Newegg and I'll go ahead and spring a few more bucks for a giga switch. Thanks for the quick answers.

im using this for my home network right now, its cheap ($27.99 shipped) and works right out of the box, no problems at all.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156250

so for 2 separate networks i would need a dual NIC for my router ?

yes, that would be the easiest way.
otherwise you would need managed switches to configure VLANs.

also assuming ipfire can do different DHCP scopes based on the interface in the router box.

i can set up i think 3 different networks with ipfire connected to the same router, should not be a problem

i paid 81 shipped from ebay for my 24 port gigabit switch. just gotta look out for the deals :)

i can set up i think 3 different networks with ipfire connected to the same router, should not be a problem

so yeah, easiest way then would be a separate NIC for each network scope

and as stated, you won't get any improvements from upgrading to a 10/100/1000 switch. But, since gigabit switches are so close price-wise to a 10/100, there really isn't any reason not to future-proof yourself.

so yeah, easiest way then would be a separate NIC for each network scope

and as stated, you won't get any improvements from upgrading to a 10/100/1000 switch. But, since gigabit switches are so close price-wise to a 10/100, there really isn't any reason not to future-proof yourself.

i use a 5 port gb switch now for my home network, but if i look for 16 to 24 port switches then there is a huge price difference between 10/100 and gb.
Well i dont think we really get gb internet speeds in close future...:rolleyes:

for the prices of a 5 port gig switch compared to a 10/100 its worth it :) cheap and easy and you already eliminated one thing you will have to change in the future :)

J'

Since you can find 5 or 8 port gigabit switch for cheap, would it be advisable to chain 2 or 3 of them together to turn them into a 10 or 16 port switch? Do you guys think there will be added overheads or slowing down the network somehow?

Since you can find 5 or 8 port gigabit switch for cheap, would it be advisable to chain 2 or 3 of them together to turn them into a 10 or 16 port switch? Do you guys think there will be added overheads or slowing down the network somehow?

only file transfers between computers on different switches can be slowed down, since the switches will only be connected via gigabit.

so if you have 2 computers on switch 1 transferring large files to 2 computers on switch 2, each pair will max at 500mbps (obviously 500mbps is the theoretical number).
Whereas if all 4 computers were on the same switch, both pairs would be able to transfer at full gigabit speeds.

but in terms of just the usual web browsing and the like, no. There will be no noticeable difference.

why not just get a giga switch now and not worry about it in the future.

Yeah...why not. There are plenty of unmanaged gigabit switches for the home setup now, <10 ports, darned close to the same price as a 10/100 switch. Plenty under 60 bucks.
Pretty much same price! It's not like the price difference for a basic <10 port unmanaged home switch is over a hundred bucks between a 100 and a 1000 switch. Plenty of decent little home grade 8 port gigabit switches, unmanaged, with jumbo frame support, for <70 bucks...under 60 bucks even..and less if you look harder.

While you certainly don't need a gigabit switch for 10 computers to share a 10 meg DSL line and transfer a whopping word .doc or jpg or online game (quite honestly a 10 meg switch won't even be a bottleneck)....the price difference 'tween a 100 and a 1000 basic switch is pretty much nill these days, so why not future proof.

For 50 bucks...do you want <old switch? or for 50 or 55 bucks do you want a nice current switch?

Plenty of decent little home grade 8 port gigabit switches, unmanaged, with jumbo frame support, for <70 bucks...under 60 bucks even..and less if you look harder.

I'll respectfully disagree. I think at the 10/100 level, most home/soho switches will do fine. But the quality gap widens a lot at the gigabit level.

I'll respectfully disagree. I think at the 10/100 level, most home/soho switches will do fine. But the quality gap widens a lot at the gigabit level.

'Course I can only speak from having good experiences with the little green DLink giga switches, as well as a couple of Netgears and not long ago a Linky/Cisco one. Many support 9k jumbo frames. A couple of the ones I've setup are being used quite hard too. They've held up.

For a basic unmanaged switch at the home level, I can't say ..over many years of doing this, I've found much to differentiate in quality. Compatiblity with other switches...I've only come across that in 1 model..the Linksys sd205..even with their same brand srw switches those caused problems. I've had a few server grade NICs not want to auto neg at gigabit with some gigabit switches (those were business grade switches btw, but haven't seen that issue in years). Other than that, you have your typical sensitive power adapters..easily solved by following the best practice of plugging your network gear into an APC UPS. And with gigabit switches...you have support of jumbo frames..else you really ain't gigi'n it. ;)

And if they burn up due to power pack failure or something in a year or two (like many home grade ones do)..who cares..it's only 50 bucks, get another one. It's a home network, not the finance department of a 300 people business on payroll day.

I would do a 16 port gig switch. Room to grow and you dont need to replace it down the road. I like the dell powerconnect switchrs
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Yeah...why not. There are plenty of unmanaged gigabit switches for the home setup now, <10 ports, darned close to the same price as a 10/100 switch. Plenty under 60 bucks.
Pretty much same price! It's not like the price difference for a basic <10 port unmanaged home switch is over a hundred bucks between a 100 and a 1000 switch. Plenty of decent little home grade 8 port gigabit switches, unmanaged, with jumbo frame support, for <70 bucks...under 60 bucks even..and less if you look harder.

While you certainly don't need a gigabit switch for 10 computers to share a 10 meg DSL line and transfer a whopping word .doc or jpg or online game (quite honestly a 10 meg switch won't even be a bottleneck)....the price difference 'tween a 100 and a 1000 basic switch is pretty much nill these days, so why not future proof.

For 50 bucks...do you want <old switch? or for 50 or 55 bucks do you want a nice current switch?

a 16 or 24 port gb switch for 55 bucks ??? where ???

a 16 or 24 port gb switch for 55 bucks ??? where ???

He is saying less than 10 ports, and am 8 port can be had for 30$.

Watch ebay for the powerconnect switches if you need cheap 24 port action. I've gotten 4 from the bay from different sellers, powerconnect 2724's and they work.

oh ok, but how am i gonna connect 10 pc a main pc for control and a router on a 8 port switch.:rolleyes:
But sure 5 to 8 port gb switches are not really expensive anymore , i got my 5 port Trendnet gb switch for under $30 from the rotten egg.

Your router have a switch? Put your clients on there that you know will never or seldom do large transfers and the rest on the switch. Connect the 2 with some cat5.

Your router have a switch? Put your clients on there that you know will never or seldom do large transfers and the rest on the switch. Connect the 2 with some cat5.

uhm...actually i use a mITX pc as router/firewall right now, i got tired of non working router/switches for home users.
But to my first post and question, im gonna use a mITX or mATX pc again as router/firewall connected to a 16 or 24 port switch, and then connect all other pc to same switch.
Its easy to setup and works without problems 24/7.
So basically i plan to do the same as i did for my home network some time ago just a little bigger.

oh ok, but how am i gonna connect 10 pc a main pc for control and a router on a 8 port switch.:rolleyes:
But sure 5 to 8 port gb switches are not really expensive anymore , i got my 5 port Trendnet gb switch for under $30 from the rotten egg.

You're supposed to be able to grasp the overall concept that some basic home grade unmanaged gigabit switches aren't really much more expensive than the old fast ethernet switches anymore.

You yourself seemed to find this out in a prior post...
im using this for my home network right now, its cheap ($27.99 shipped) and works right out of the box, no problems at all.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156250

Regarding 10x PCs...as others already noted...quite easy. You know switches can uplink? Heck..purchase another one of those 28 dollar switches..and...ready for this magic? //drumroll........
"uplink them with a 1' patch cable! Wow!

You're supposed to be able to grasp the overall concept that some basic home grade unmanaged gigabit switches aren't really much more expensive than the old fast ethernet switches anymore.

You yourself seemed to find this out in a prior post...

Regarding 10x PCs...as others already noted...quite easy. You know switches can uplink? Heck..purchase another one of those 28 dollar switches..and...ready for this magic? //drumroll........
"uplink them with a 1' patch cable! Wow!

really should think about that one, working with 2 switches if i dont get a decent deal on a 16 or 24 port switch....not that bad idea.

Think about where your PCs are before you commit. I have several PCs & a network laser in a remote room, so I ran 1 cable to a switch there. Beats having only a big switch & pulling lots of cables, especially if bandwidth isn't an issue.

Think about where your PCs are before you commit. I have several PCs & a network laser in a remote room, so I ran 1 cable to a switch there. Beats having only a big switch & pulling lots of cables, especially if bandwidth isn't an issue.

pc are all in one room, close together one beside another

Back