$100 Bill Gets 3-D Treatment

that is even more a point then that this is all pointless. They are wasting time and money to redesign this when there is no need and it doesn't change anything.

The guy who runs $100 through a color photocopier is not the intended target for the redesign (although the redesign does make it easier to spot the crummy fakes and helps to discourage casual counterfeiting.) The extra security measures are meant to thwart organizations with the money and expertise to attempt to put out good counterfeits such as organized crime and other nations.

Forgot to add: If I recall my history correctly, during WWII the Nazis created near perfect counterfeits of the British pounds. The money was laundered to fund their war effort while undermine the value of the Pound. Anti-counterfeiting measures on currency should be considered part of the national defense as it helps to protect against economic subversion.

Have you ever considered that gold really isn't worth anything? The only reason it is worth something is because people say it's worth something. Thousands of years ago the only reason it was ever used was because it was hard to get thus hard to fake being rich. If you didn't own masses of slaves to get it out of the mines then you were not rich. The only true value gold has is in it's industrial and chick getting properties. Welcome to the 21st century.

This. I think it is funny all the crazy people "I HAS GOLD IN CASE SOCIETY FALLS" rambling. If the world economy super tanked you could have your gold, and I bet I would have more bartering paper with canned food, bottled water, and toilet paper :p

Link from usatoday.com
When the new bills are issued next February, you don't have to worry about using or trading in your old $100s.
The 6.5 billion bills with the old design now in circulation will still be good.
So how exactly is this supposed to stop the counterfeiters since they old bill will remain in circulation and no mention of exchanging or switching them out?
If the counterfeiters have gotten good with creating fake current $100 bills, then I guess they will be able to keep on creating the same fake bills.

This. I think it is funny all the crazy people "I HAS GOLD IN CASE SOCIETY FALLS" rambling. If the world economy super tanked you could have your gold, and I bet I would have more bartering paper with canned food, bottled water, and toilet paper :p

Exactly. Why do people think that gold would be super valuable in a post-apocalyptic world? It's practical value in day to day living is very limited though I'm sure it would still be valuable. But food, medicine, etc. would Legitimacy be worth their weight in gold as well.

In other words gold's relative value would decline.

So how exactly is this supposed to stop the counterfeiters since they old bill will remain in circulation and no mention of exchanging or switching them out?
If the counterfeiters have gotten good with creating fake current $100 bills, then I guess they will be able to keep on creating the same fake bills.

The feds are letting the old 100 bills run it's course. Every time an old bill enters the banking system it will not come back out. Only new 100 bills will come out of banks. Eventually all that will remain of the old bills would be in the hands of collectors.

Most US currency is denominated in 100 dollar Federal Reserve notes.

The people who claim gold is obsolete or worthless will be in for a rude awakening when the dollar collapse comes. All paper currencies not backed by precious metal eventually become worthless. Go read how the Zimbabweans survive these days.

Gold and silver are assets that are not someone else's liability. Other assets (homes, furniture, paintings, firearms, cars) require cleaning, maintenance, are not easily exchanged, or are taxed.

The private Federal Reserve system is hiding the huge amounts of paper money they have created and placed in the vaults of defaulted banks. The doubling of the amount of currency in the last year and a half is being labeled deposit currency. It is not being included in the M currency reports as should be. This is euphemistically called quanitative easing. This is a fraud actually.

The debt bomb has been ticking for seventy-five years. I am sorry that the next few generations of Americans have been screwed by the greed of the last three.

I don't like how in the constitution the US is defined as a secular nation, yet on the bill it says "In God we trust". So which one is it, theocracy or secular nation?

QFT. You can't eat it, drink it, or wipe your ass with it...

Well, the last one.... maybe....

:D

Looks pretty decent if they would just nix the giant "100" on the back and restore the previous design in that section.

While it looks weird to me too, the large type there for those who are visually impaired. While I don't need it (yet - my contacts can still cover my prescription), I'm sure there are those who will appreciate being able to know what denomination they're pulling out without resorting to their glasses or other corrective lenses all the time.

When I worked at a movie theater cashier, elderly people were always pulling out the wrong bills - and thanked me profusely when I gave it back to them.

I guess I will take any gold your family has from them with little trouble. That way, I can buy my whole family enough food, water, and toilet paper for the whole year( if the economy failed).

Oh yeah, you're completely wrong by the way.

The only thing more valuable than gold in the post-apocalyptic world will be bullets.

But it won't come to that, so don't worry.

For those of you concerned about hyper-inflation, just pay attention to the value of gold. It'll go crazy and skyrocket when people with money lose confidence in all else.

For the record, when the US economy was tanking back in '08 and even into '09, the value of gold was fluctuation wildly, the markets were going nuts, and gold shot up to wildly unprecedented levels.

Ever since this whole push to stabilize the economy, the price of gold has flattened out. We've been sitting at more or less the same price for several months.

Funny that: The effort at stabilizing the economy... Stabilized the economy.

On topic: Cool looking bill. I hope we get more modern looking currency in the coming years. We could be doing so much better.

I guess I will take any gold your family has from them with little trouble. That way, I can buy my whole family enough food, water, and toilet paper for the whole year( if the economy failed).

Oh yeah, you're completely wrong by the way.

What he was trying to say is that if you try selling your gold once the economy fails, no one will buy because it isn't a basic need necessary for survival and is worthless in that aspect.

See that would of been funny IF you had of read the first post

Alcohol was introduced.

52468.jpg

And I quote from the NBA Finals, "Where amazing happens".

seems like gold sellers are really anxious to sell their gold for cash. meanwhile gold buyers want to part with as little cash as possible.

In Australia when we changed from paper notes to thin (but strong) plastic notes everyone used the old bills as well at first and eventually as they went through the banking system you saw then less often each time you made a transaction until eventually they just weren't there anymore as I remember it.

Back