100% Dust Proofing a Case?

Hiyruu

2[H]4U
How would I go about 100% dust proofing a case?

Is there some case out there that is designed to be truly dust proof?

Also, how do you dust-proof without reducing airflow?

You can't dust proof without reducing airflow. It's all about balance.

I use wire filters on all my fans and that has SIGNIFICANTLY cut down on the amount of dust in my case, but not 100% removed it. Some cases will come with filters pre installed and you might say they're designed to be dust proof..but it's not necessarily any better than the filters you can add yourself.

Although it's not exactly attractive, I've found that keeping a plastic trash bag over my pc while it's turned off also really helps. They make special custom fit bags that essentially do the same thing but I haven't found enough cause to purchase one.

turn off the pc? blasphemy!

like the 2nd poster said, its all about balance between dust protection and airflow. you are gonna have to do some maintenance once in a while, there is no way around it...

keeping your computer off the floor also makes a big difference with dust.

turn off the pc? blasphemy!

like the 2nd poster said, its all about balance between dust protection and airflow. you are gonna have to do some maintenance once in a while, there is no way around it...

put your pc in a mini fridge.

The Antec P1xx series includes plastic filters similar to the mesh of screen doors. They allow sufficient airflow stop a good portion of dust, mostly the fine little hair variety while tiny powder-like dust gets through. The dust that does get through it is easier to clean off and far less menacing to continuous operation.

Removing all dust from the air is quite difficult in itself, airflow rates notwithstanding. If you want to keep ALL dust out of the case and keep it cool, perhaps you should consider water cooling with an external radiator.

you can probably do it with a completely fluid setup where just the exchanger for the fluid being "outside" the dust free area.

I have an antec 300 case with the included dust filter on the front of the case but it doesn't always filter out the small dust that comes in. Sure it gets the big stuff but the smaller stuff you're gonna have to open your case and use a can of compressed air to get the fine particles that your filter has missed.

I have my case on carpet floor and it is really dusty but the wire stuff does work well for most large dust particles.

Depends on what you define as 'dust'. There are really fine filters, which will pretty much only let single molecules through. These are more commonly used in biohazard environments and clean rooms. You need a lot of them to get significant airflow, and you'll be cleaning or replacing them regularly.

If you're not that critical, then just pick a material which is dense enough (size of the gaps in it), yet allows enough air through it for your needs. Seal off all other gaps in the case and it should be pretty much dust free :)

Pantyhose works well. Also adjust your fans for air pressure.

you could also do positive pressure, my FT01 is about an inch off the ground, is on most of the time, and the only thing I've needed to clean is the front grill about a month ago; the interior is spotless.

Dust isn't that annoying to clean...if you have the right tools. Invest in an air compressor. Aside from having numerous other useful purposes, they serve as a 'bottomless' can of that compressed air. The air stream they produce is also much stronger, and an entire computer case can be made dust free in about 30 seconds air blasting. I used to worry about static buildup from doing that, but I've been doing it for years and all my systems are still chugging along.

A portable air compressor is definitely a worthy investment, especially if you're one to buy the canned air... a compressor pays for itself in short order. The filters on the P180 prevent dust from being a serious issue but I carry my computer to the back yard every few months and clean it out.

Place 20 or 30 air purifiers in your room. Hope you have ear plugs.

My step-dad was an IBM field tech back in the days. A vacuum is/was standard issue. I used to use those vacuums to clean my car because they were so compact and strong.

Although it's not exactly attractive, I've found that keeping a plastic trash bag over my pc while it's turned off also really helps. They make special custom fit bags that essentially do the same thing but I haven't found enough cause to purchase one.

You could use the plastic bag that comes over the case when you buy it since they fit the case perfectly. You can also help decrease the amount of dust in a room by purchasing an air filter. Some of them have the Ionizer feature that creates negative ions and causes airborne particles like dust to magnetically attract together and become larger which then causes them to fall to the floor instead of staying in the air.

It can't be done, you'd have to have a sealed case, automotive type filters, and 5000rpm fans to get any air through them, it will be a noisy rig.

I use an AirMan cordless multipurpose air pump, for pumping my tires and blowing dust out of computers. The pulsing action seems better at dislodging dust bunnies from heatsinks, and it doesn't spit water or oil, like heavy-duty shop air-compressors.

Dust proof computer case? Done. Just keep in mind it severely limits your hardware options.

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/gw_01

There are larger ones, but obviously you'll run into the same type limitations and more costs. If you want larger cases (micro-ATX, ATX), look for NEMA rated cases for harsh environments.

You can't 100% dust proof a case.... but you can get it pretty damn close.

2 things are key: Positive pressure and dust filters.

Most cases out there are designed with negative pressure. This means there is more air being forced out than being sucked in. This allows air and dust to be sucked in through every nook and cranny including the tiny gaps between your optical drives. Easy way to get positive pressure is to have 1 more intake fan than exhaust. Always factor in the PSU and Video Card Heatsinks (only the ones that exhaust) as exhaust then flip an exhaust fan into an intake if necessary.

Combine positive pressure and dust filters, and you ensure every cubic inch of air that goes into the case has to go through the filters. It also means that the really small dust particles that get through the filters have a chance to be blown out the nooks and crannies.

IMHO the best computer air filters you can buy are the DEMCi Flex Filters. Their available from 40mm to 140mm sizes. They are extremely useful because they are made of fridge magnet material and will stick to the sides of steel cases. If your sticking them to something non magnetic, they include a magnetic strip that has double sided tape. Just peel them, rinse them in a faucet, dry, then re-apply. And before anyone says it...they aren't magnetic enough to affect your HD or erase your bios by accident.

http://www.frozencpu.com/brands/brand/b166/DEMCi_Flex.html

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...th=466&zenid=bd446d5333d3383dd7a11d589fa911a7

Last edited:
there is 1 way

but it cost almost 1000 dollors

zelman has a special case that uses heatsink only. no fans wat so ever. won lotsof awards.

highly recemend

I found covering holes that are put on the case really helped, as well as using old screens from windows where the fans go. Almost no dust!

I was just going to say the exact thing that Illegaleagle said. I found that it helps to cover or seal all of the pre existing holes and such that cases come with and then apply filters to all of your INTAKE fans.
Again moving your case off of the floor will help out a ton.

If he wants 100% dust proofing, why would you give answers that will still allow dust in his case? Filters won't cut it. He needs an enclosed NEMA rated dust proof case. Some things come with cost. If he doesn't want 100% dust proofing, he can save a lot of cost. But, he never gave us the application he's using it in, so I wouldn't recommend anything else that lets even a little bit of dust inside. I believe he said 100% dust proof for a reason. It could be for a harsh environment application.

You can make one.

Here's what I did :

tt2_313.jpg

-----

That's a completely passive rig.

It's basically an 18" square 'environmental' electrical enclosure......the heat producing components all have direct thermal paths to the case.

Now , it won't tolerate folding , but for basic daily use it works just fine.

I am not finished with the thermal paths and/or sealing , but when it's finished , the case will actually be gastight.

:D

You can make one.

Here's what I did :

tt2_313.jpg

-----

It's basically an 18" square 'environmental' electrical enclosure......the heat producing components all have direct thermal paths to the case.

I am not finished with the thermal paths and/or sealing , but when it's finished , the case will actually be gastight.

Sweet!

Yeah, that doesn't keep dust out.. it blows around dust after it's already in the case.

BrainEater is on the right track with his case suggestion.

I'm curious why you care if some dust gets in? You can clean it once in a while and it'll chug along until long after it's outdated.

Again... maybe he's using the computer in a harsh environment that would clog up a computer over the span of a few hours or a few days. Not everyone uses computers in a home setting or clean environment.

Yep....Mines actually for use in an explosive(flammable) atmosphere.It'll be filled with pressurized nitrogen.

I might actually throw it in the garden and get a pic of it running while I water it tho , just for kicks.....

Edit :

Here's a better shot of the CPU-case thermal path....

tt2_303.jpg

------

The process carries on from there....

Last edited:
I have done as you ask. To eliminate dust you need to eliminate airflow. Watercool with an external passive radiator and you can seal up the case rather well and eliminate air movement. I have a severe dust mite allergy, so eliminating the 'dust blower' effect of a PC was a high priority.

Check it out:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1399592

You can make one.

Here's what I did :

http://braineater.kicks-ass.tv/miscshite/tt2_313.jpg

-----

If you use heatpipes instead of merely sheets of copper, it might provide even better cooling :)

I find that passively cooled Zalman case to be a nice example of how far one can push passive cooling.

Yep....Mines actually for use in an explosive(flammable) atmosphere.It'll be filled with pressurized nitrogen.

I might actually throw it in the garden and get a pic of it running while I water it tho , just for kicks.....

Edit :

Here's a better shot of the CPU-case thermal path....

*snip*

------

The process carries on from there....

No heat pipes? I have seen people taking apart heat sinks for the pipes. Maybe it will handle folding then.

Instead of focusing on the computer case, you should focus on the room. If the room/house is dust-free, so is your computer. ;)

Yes , heatpipes would be the ideal solution , however , custom heatpipes aint cheap.....and since you cant bend em , using 2nd hand heatpipes isnt really an option.

Mebbie someday....

How would I go about 100% dust proofing a case?

Is there some case out there that is designed to be truly dust proof?

Also, how do you dust-proof without reducing airflow?
If he wants 100% dust proofing, why would you give answers that will still allow dust in his case? Filters won't cut it. He needs an enclosed NEMA rated dust proof case. Some things come with cost. If he doesn't want 100% dust proofing, he can save a lot of cost. But, he never gave us the application he's using it in, so I wouldn't recommend anything else that lets even a little bit of dust inside. I believe he said 100% dust proof for a reason. It could be for a harsh environment application.

He said "go about 100% dust proofing a case" and "dust-proof without reducing airflow"...
Most people thought that implied he already has a case and wanted to make it almost dust proof. Myself and others recognized that these statements are contradicting, hence the many fan filter suggestions. Maybe we should have re-read his post as 3 separate questions.

I believe the OP should clarify his usage needs. I don't believe it is possible to 100% dust proof any case that has any sort of airflow, unless you put the pc in a cleanroom environment. Airflow=dust in a normal environment, even if it is an extremely small amount of dust.

Pre-built dust proof cases are available, as w1retap suggested, which answers the OP's second question.

100% dust proofing an existing case requires that the case be sealed and either
1. use watercooling with the radiator outside the case
-or-
2. rigging up a passive system and making the case itself the heatsink.

Last edited:
Instead of focusing on the computer case, you should focus on the room. If the room/house is dust-free, so is your computer. ;)

The only way to prevent dust would be to wear a hazmat suit when in the room and have it sealed off. 90-some percent of dust is dead human skin, and we shed something like an ounce of it every month. Your body is a mobile dust making machine.

I had to spec some cabinets for deployment to Iraq, Afghanistan, etc... NEMA rated, dust proof, they will cost you some serious bucks though. As in 3-5K
signature_alaskangeek.jpg

Where are you living? Do you open the windows?

In my apartment the windows are big, old, and sealed. I don't think any dust from the street reaches up either.

I went to clean my PC of dust and there really wasn't any visibly. Then I noticed the coffee table looked like it came out of the box, wiped my finger on it and there was pretty much nothing.

It would be nice to breathe in some fresh air while at home but it's a major improvement over living by a) a merged state and U.S. highway in a small city, b) by a gravel road and c) at college with no AC so we opened the windows and used fans. That let in a ton of dust.

Also a bit OT but if you buy on Craigslist buyer beware... duh, I know but this guy had ORANGE dust caked on this old Antec case, and hidden. Meh, $20, but bush league and nasty. He did wash the outside so he knew it was filthy... bah.

Back