100 GB File Transfer

navek8

n00b
I have 100GB on my laptop that I want to get on to my Data Server which is right next to it. What's my best approach to doing this?

I could just plug a cross over ethernet cable from one NIC to the other?

Or I could pull out one of the 1TB HDD, throw it in an external enclosure, and copy it over that way?

I'm not sure what method you would recommend.

100GB aint so bad, just transfer it via network.

Yeah, 100gig isnt bad, I will soon have to transfer 500gigs via USB to set up a raid array, :(

Yeah, 100gig isnt bad, I will soon have to transfer 500gigs via USB to set up a raid array, :(

out of curiousity, how are you setting up the USB transfer? external enclosure? Is that the fastest way?

I wish there was a cheap USB male - male cable I could buy that just figures it out for me.

I wish there was a cheap USB male - male cable I could buy that just figures it out for me.

Such things do exist, but they generally use nasty proprietary software (i.e. tends to be thrown together and not tested well), and far from the fastest option around.

If both have gigabit ethernet, thats probably your best bet for simplicity and speed. Directly connecting the disk via SATA (internal or external) would likely be faster (no protocol overhead, or issues with jumbo frames, etc.), but a little more hassle if the drives aren't easily swappable, etc.

100gb won't take very long over a gigabit network. I do it almost weekly. Takes me about 30 min. I'm assuming your source is a single drive so you have to figure about 1.5 hours or so.
If possible setup an ftp to do the transfer it's a lot faster then doing windows copy to a network share.

my pc isnt setup as a server yet. its just another PC on the network right now. Is there an easy way to set up the FTP? Some software or something?

Do you not have file sharing enabled? Just drag and drop, wireless or wired it won't take that long... you would've been done by now :p

yea I will. Im at work right now, and Im trying to transfer over a bunch of very large video files from my work laptop to watch on my TV tonight (which is hooked up to my server PC). And dont want to wait an hour or two after I get home to watch them.

Just do the ones you want first then do the other ones. Shoot i've had to transfer 4 tb's before over 100mbit connection now that was long i think it took 3 or 4 days if something didn't interrupt the transfer. It'll take a while but by far easiest method.

my pc isnt setup as a server yet. its just another PC on the network right now. Is there an easy way to set up the FTP? Some software or something?

FileZilla varients do this very nicely

sweet. getting filezilla right now.
is there a lot of configuration I have to deal with?
It'd be nice to access my home server from work too. I'd probably have to forward some ports I'm guessing but hopefully not much else.

Wow, thanks guys, I just Dl'ed Teracopy, what a wonderful little piece of software.:D

Yes. I love the program, its a fantastic replacement for Windows' cut / copy / paste. You can resume transfers, change cache size, and better CRC checking. Its a must have for file transfers over a network. And its freeware! :D

Back