$1000 to spend on upgrade

R

ring.of.steel

hi, i now have $1000 us to spend on my oc in my sig, i use it for gaming and general work also a bit of cadcam.

my monitors resolution is 1680x1050...

any reccomendations?

Upgrade to a C2D. Q6600, 4gigs of ram, and a Asus Maximus Formula. And a X-Fi sound card

Upgrade to a C2D. Q6600, 4gigs of ram, and a Asus Maximus Formula. And a X-Fi sound card

I have 8gb of ram allready...

....-M2 //AS5
8gb OCZ 667MHZ ddr2 (4x2gb) //Corsair Memory Cooler
2x160gb Raid0 West...

I may pick up a q6600 but why do you reccomend the maximus formula?

get a Q6600 and the board I suggested for sure.

I reccomend it because its the best X38 board out IMO, or wait for the P45/780i/790i

Q6600 + Asus Maximus Formula + 24 Inch Monitor

Then sell your current monitor and get another 8800GT for SLI action.

You can't.

If you are going to overclock this, I am concerned about the memory slightly. But, you will be fine provided you use a divider.

dam monitors cost so much across the pond. can you reccomend me a good monitor?

If you are looking to stay AMD (which I highly recommend you don't) go with a Phenom. Also, if your just gonna stay dual core (in which a C2D will smoke your CPU) get something like an E6850. If you are going quad, go for a Q6600 G0 with something like an eVGA 780i, simply for the overclockability.

hmm i would like to keep the ram at stock speeds, i dont see the neeed for 780i tho..

Got my laptop for that..

iv bought my stuff now anyways.

lol! i live near tesco i might see if they have them in store.

What'd you end up getting?

Any monitor with low response time, high brightness and a high contrast ratio is good. The really low response time panels are typically TN, which are good for gaming. If you do any photo/video editing, you'll want an S-IPS panel. The S-PVA and MVA panels are also good for photo/video editing -- anything that needs good color reproduction.

The E6850 is a waste of money since the E6750 can OC to its speeds easily, and they both have the same OC potential (around 4Ghz). If you want to spend that much money on a CPU, get the Q6600.

The Asus Maximus is waaay overpriced, IMO.

X38 is only worth buying if you need Crossfire. The only other benefit of X38 over P35 is PCI-E 2.0 slots, but current PCI-E2.0 cards don't even saturate the bandwidth of the current PCI-E 1.1 slots, so there really is no need to pay such a high price premium solely for PCI-E2.0. By the time PCI-E2.0 cards are severely limited by PCI-E1.1 slots, it will be time for a new motherboard anyhow, IMO.

I bought a 780i
Q6600
8800gt

getting a 24" dell in the next couple of weeks.

Back