1070/1080 outputs?

Limp Gawd
So looking at the 1070/1080 card coming out it looks like the outputs are the same as the 970/980 cards.

Will we see any cards with multiple outputs?

I need something that will do triple monitors + 2 more monitors at least.

Sure, AIB cards will vary. Will probably see better coolers in June, but non-reference cards usually take an extra month or two.

The reference 1080 does have 5 outputs -- 3 DP, 1 HDMI 2.0, and 1 DVI-D.

i fully expect to see aib cards for the 1070 at launch considering its just gddr5

Good question-- previously, NV cards were limited to 4 simultaneous outputs. Nobody knows if Pascal is limited in the same way.

You could use a displayport hub or displayport chaining, if you don't use NV surround for gaming.

With VR focusing on HDMI, I'm extremely interested in a 2nd HDMI-out. I'm using the main one for video/audio, so I'd love to have a 2nd one to avoid using a string of adapters.

Should mention that the DisplayPort outputs are version 1.4, which is a fantastic consideration for future monitors.

No analog on the 10x0 cards though whereas the 9x0 cards do though I doubt anyone cares much.
All the official specs say is "DL-DVI;" they don't say DVI-D like the OP does. The DVI output on GeForce cards has historically been DVI-I. If it still includes an onboard RAMDAC(s) that means you should still be able to get an analog signal.

One of the (many) articles noted it was DVI-D only.

On a side note, it is seriously difficult to google the 1080! Such a stupid name.

One of the (many) articles noted it was DVI-D only.

On a side note, it is seriously difficult to google the 1080! Such a stupid name.

Skipping the 800 range of numbers was stupid. There's nothing wrong with "1080". Speaking of, use quote marks when you search. Look for "GTX 1080" instead of just plain old 1080. Kids don't know search engine precision these days?

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. I will maintain 1080 was a stupid name until the day I die.

Good, I'm sick of low-end monitors that only have a VGA port. If they're going to cheap out and only put on one port it should at least be DVI. VGA should have died out 10 years ago. It would be nice to see all monitors/video cards standardize on DisplayPort, but no one seems to like DisplayPort.

No analog on the 10x0 cards though whereas the 9x0 cards do though I doubt anyone cares much.

RIP my cheap KVM.

It won't affect me today, but in about 18 months or so when I buy an 1180Ti and demote my 1080 from my gaming PC to one of the older boxes I run BOINC on, I won't be able to manage it the same way I have for a number of years. 4 port VGA KVMs can be had for less than $40. DVI/HDMI/DP KVMs are 4x as expensive.

Edit: I suppose the real question is if it's just the reference PCB that dropped VGA support, or if the capability was pulled somewhere in the GPU where AIB makers can't add it back with custom layout cards.

Last edited:
4 port VGA KVMs can be had for less than $40. DVI/HDMI/DP KVMs are 4x as expensive.

I have a DVI KVM and it doesn't even work with my keyboard. Something about it doesn't work with "smart" keyboards. So i have to put by KM on a VGA KVM and my V on a DVI KVM and switch them both. And on my second display I have to swap between DVI and HDMI using the display's input switch. It's ridiculous how barbaric technology is. And tech companies wonder why we don't buy their shit.

Well, you can get an active converter if you still really need VGA. DVI-D to VGA Active Adapter Converter Cable – 1920x1200 (available cheaper elsewhere)

I have an active converter for my laptop since it only has a microHDMI and I need VGA to connect to projectors at customers.

Supposedly that will NOT work with the new cards.
Pascal Secrets: What Makes Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Fast?

Search for performance lead the company to remove as much legacy options as possible, and you can no longer connect the GTX 1080 with an analog display. D-SUB15 is now firmly in the past, and you cannot make the connection work even if you use a 3rd party adapter. The rest of connectors include a 144Hz-capable DVI, three DisplayPort 1.4 and a single HDMI 2.0B connector.

If it is blocked, I bet it has something to do with that HDCP or whatever DRM on 4K Netflix movie streams. That's my opinion of course about the DRM.

Supposedly that will NOT work with the new cards.
Pascal Secrets: What Makes Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Fast?

Search for performance lead the company to remove as much legacy options as possible, and you can no longer connect the GTX 1080 with an analog display. D-SUB15 is now firmly in the past, and you cannot make the connection work even if you use a 3rd party adapter. The rest of connectors include a 144Hz-capable DVI, three DisplayPort 1.4 and a single HDMI 2.0B connector.

If it is blocked, I bet it has something to do with that HDCP or whatever DRM on 4K Netflix movie streams. That's my opinion of course about the DRM.
It will most certainly work. They're saying you can't use one of these: DVI to VGA Cable Adapter - M/F

The active one appear to the card as a digital display connected via DVI.

I'm assuming the DVI port is a dual link port, correct? What are the chances of seeing a 2x dual link DVI card like the gigabyte windforces?

It is dual-link DVI-D yes. Sure AIBs can do that, no problem. Will they, who knows.

I'm assuming the DVI port is a dual link port, correct? What are the chances of seeing a 2x dual link DVI card like the gigabyte windforces?
Can't you get a DP -> dual link DVI-D adapter? It'd have to be active, but I'm pretty sure they exist.

Can't you get a DP -> dual link DVI-D adapter? It'd have to be active, but I'm pretty sure they exist.
Technically you could get a passive cable or adapter, but dual-mode in the DisplayPort connection only allows for a pixel clock of up to 300 MHz from the source. That means either you're limited to a maximum of 1920x1080@120 Hz or 2560x1440@60 Hz.

Technically you could get a passive cable or adapter, but dual-mode in the DisplayPort connection only allows for a pixel clock of up to 300 MHz from the source. That means either you're limited to a maximum of 1920x1080@120 Hz or 2560x1440@60 Hz.
I don't think you can get a passive DP -> dual link since SST DP doesn't have enough differential pairs.

I don't think you can get a passive DP -> dual link since SST DP doesn't have enough differential pairs.
That's what I mean. Dual-mode DP only support single-link DVI over a passive connection. I may have been wrong about the supported resolutions. It's been awhile since I've had to look at the DVI specification.

That's what I mean. Dual-mode DP only support single-link DVI over a passive connection. I may have been wrong about the supported resolutions. It's been awhile since I've had to look at the DVI specification.
Gotcha, but active adapters do exist to spit out dual link DVI-D. I found a few via Google. They're not cheap though.

Back